DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Fader & EQ automation with Midi Mixer

SeanDiamond 12:23 PM - 24 November, 2010
Is there any way you could use a midi enabled mixer e.g. a DJM800 to record midi signal for the EQ's / Faders into Ableton. This would have similar functionality as on the 68/57SL but for those of us with other mixers would be a great bonus.

I presume ableton can record midi signal so it could just treat the signal as a separate channel, then you can map effects to the recorded audio?

Any thoughts, is this achievable?
nik39 9:33 AM - 25 November, 2010
No. AL does not record the mix live, an offline .als will be generated. You could try to capture the midi separately - but sounds like a nasty task to sync the .als with your recorded midi. I doubt that it will work.
djcomplex34 6:06 AM - 29 November, 2010
why do you want to record your crossfader anyway? I can maybe see EQ, but overall I don't get it, what am I missing?
nik39 7:38 AM - 29 November, 2010
Imagine your mix in is off a little bit. Move the audio of the track you are mixing in with the crossfader automation.
Spencer (^_^) 5:52 AM - 12 November, 2011
I have a Behringer DDM4000 midi capable mixer, an SL3 unit, tables, various MIDI controllers, and plenty of DAWs to work with. I have been trying to find a way to record the fader and EQ movements of my sets for MONTHS! I can't currently afford to purchase a Rane mixer in order to enable automations / multi-track recording of my DJ sets within Ableton. I feel like it would have been beyond easy for Rane / Ableton to program "The Bridge" to allow for the fader / EQ movements of "off brand" MIDI capable mixers to be recorded with Mixtape. The Bridge's lack of support for "off brand" MIDI capable mixers seems like a ploy to sell the Rane TTM-57 and 68 mixers to me. I'm curious to see what other think about that.
Blackie Lox 4:17 AM - 16 November, 2011
what i do is bypass the bridge completely and use my mixer's built in soundcard/midi capabilites to route the audio to selected channels, and map knobs/faders as well. same effect as having one of the supported rane mixers
Dathatch 11:24 AM - 26 November, 2011
What mixer are you using?
Blackie Lox 1:41 PM - 26 November, 2011
I have both the denon dn-hc6000 and the denon dn x-500/hc4500 combo
radikarl 12:44 PM - 27 November, 2011
i think there is a youtube video floating around, on how to just record fader movement directly in ableton. but i can't find it right now.

so you would only use the bridge for multi-track recording, and at the same time have ableton live running and record the midi automation there.