DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Vinyl rant

SeanJ 1:00 AM - 13 November, 2010
I love SL3 all day long, and it's now coming time for me replace my serato vinyls and it feels like i'm being shafted - and having to accept it. What i mean is paying out for timecoded vinyls (which obviously carry huge profit margins) when they're just, well just 12" vinyl records - not with artists or managers taking they're respective cuts!

Surely the relatively low price of vinyl production (on a large level) can be passed back on to us the customer - who's payed out for the hardware. I've made 12"s myself in the past - and these were retailable for £5 or £6, ie: what your average joe charges for a 2 or 3000 run of them (rough uk price). Nevermind what that figure is with much higher numbers of unit production (like what must be created by serato/rane).

I'd love a coloured vinyl or two as well, but availability and pricing are a massive disinscentive, and i don't expect them to change this much either. It really hacks me off, rant over.
sacrilicious 1:13 AM - 13 November, 2010
A few snarky points:

- Serato and Rane are for profit companies. They have great customer service and give out free updates, so they deserve some positive cash influx for things other than their core products which are all but indestructible

- You could switch back to normal vinyl. I'm sure it'd be cheaper...

- Download a handful of free tracks on whitelabel.net (or illegally) and you've come out ahead.

- You registered April '09 which means you've probably gotten a year and a half out of your records. $30/pair or so every year and a half is the cheapest hobby ever.

- There are a handful of varieties of colored vinyls widely available without high costs/difficult availability.

- You are too whiney.
Logisticalstyles 1:16 AM - 13 November, 2010
^+1
SeanJ 1:21 AM - 13 November, 2010
- Serato and Rane are for profit companies. They have great customer service and give out free updates, so they deserve some positive cash influx for things other than their core products which are all but indestructible

(agreed totally, but don't hit your customer base so hard with that price)

- You could switch back to normal vinyl. I'm sure it'd be cheaper...

(kind of funny I suppose, but it's not about going backwards really)

- You registered April '09 which means you've probably gotten a year and a half out of your records. $30/pair or so every year and a half is the cheapest hobby ever.

(point missed really)

- You are too whiney.

(yes, quite possibly)
Logisticalstyles 1:27 AM - 13 November, 2010
You must not get paid to DJ because I can't see how you are complaining about this when Serato gives you FREE music from 'artists with managers taking they're respective cuts!'
And if you do get paid to DJ it obviously can't be very much money if $30 for Control Viynl that can play all of your music once a year is enough to "hack" you off.

Step your game up.
DJ Tecniq 1:28 AM - 13 November, 2010
I'm not understanding your rant. A real vinyl compared to control vinyl would wear sooo quickly. Thank god we can use cv's almost every gig. With real vinyl you have to be more careful cause it's more delicate. And having the ability to play any song on a 15 min control vinyl is genius. Real vinyl can't do that one song and Game Over!
DJ Alkemy 1:50 AM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
You must not get paid to DJ because I can't see how you are complaining about this when Serato gives you FREE music from 'artists with managers taking they're respective cuts!'
And if you do get paid to DJ it obviously can't be very much money if $30 for Control Viynl that can play all of your music once a year is enough to "hack" you off.

Step your game up.

Summed up perfectly
lvmez 2:28 AM - 13 November, 2010
Laz219 9:16 AM - 13 November, 2010
Can't say I've ever thought the price of vinyl was unreasonable.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:17 PM - 13 November, 2010
You can't be serious....

I'd gladly pay DOUBLE the price .vs going back to buying real vinyl.

Serato upgrades the software for free - if they want to make a few dollars on the Control Vinyl so be it...

I think Vinyl costs a couple dollars to press, wholesale to Guitar Center is probably $7-8 - its profit for everybody including you hopefully when you make money using it at gigs.
djpuma_gemini 5:20 PM - 13 November, 2010
Ok, here is the new outcome.

Vinyl is $5, but every new release is $50.

2 years from now, you'll still be on 1.9.2 cause you don't want to pay $50 to get to 2.5
Jesus Christ 6:06 PM - 13 November, 2010
I'm almost at a loss for words. 6 years ago, I was spending at a minimum $100 a week on vinyl. Now it's $60 a month for a good DJ pool and CV's every once in a while??? Seriously??? You really think $30 every 6 months or so is too much to pay?

It's been said... step your game up.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:21 PM - 13 November, 2010
funny thing is a while back when I first started, I'd be careful not to "wear down" the vinyl by stopping the non playing track (ABS MODE) so I wouldnt have to shell out $12.99 so soon for replacements - switched to REL MODE - didn't care anymore.

Now I buy different color vinyl for the season (current using red for the holidays) or depending on how I feel - (need some new blue vinyl to cheer me up).

Before I moved to Serato - my local hood record store was charging $7 for disposable hot garbage PROMO records (shit like D4L Laffy Taffy) which is like 1/2 the price of control vinyl - YEP - $7 FOR JUST ONE SONG....

Not to mention deep house imports @ $12 to 15?

Control vinyl rocks.....
Jesus Christ 6:28 PM - 13 November, 2010
^^ Art, were you buying just "one" copy of the throwaways? I bet that like me, you had doubles of everything.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:44 PM - 13 November, 2010
Yep - had to have doubles of the hood hitz....
Audio1 6:49 PM - 13 November, 2010
Wow. Up til Summer 2006, I spent $300 a week on custom dubplates from Turnstyle in LA & $200 on new vinyls, each week. You sit here and complain about a $10 piece of Control Vinyl? AMAZING.

Be a smart fellow. If you are a professional DJ, Stock up on some Control Vinyls for the year, Save the receipt and if you consider yourself a business, Its a write off for next years taxes. Works for me, plus $10 a vinyl (black) or whatever the price for colored vinyls (ranging from $12 rane/serato to $18-20 for serato pressings) is a cheap price to pay for keeping the vinyl alive. Serato Pressings alone are a blessing. One side of music, One side Serato Signal tone. Who can front on that?
Audio1 6:51 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
Before I moved to Serato - my local hood record store was charging $7 for disposable hot garbage PROMO records (shit like D4L Laffy Taffy) which is like 1/2 the price of control vinyl - YEP - $7 FOR JUST ONE SONG....

Yes. Drum&BASS wasnt cheap either. $12-15 a piece was normal and for those of us who love to get tablist with it, $24-30 for doubles of DNB/House vinyls. With the technology available, Your rant about the price of control vinyl is extremely pathetic.
deejaymoody 7:32 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
I love SL3 all day long, and it's now coming time for me replace my serato vinyls and it feels like i'm being shafted - and having to accept it. What i mean is paying out for timecoded vinyls (which obviously carry huge profit margins) when they're just, well just 12" vinyl records - not with artists or managers taking they're respective cuts!

Surely the relatively low price of vinyl production (on a large level) can be passed back on to us the customer - who's payed out for the hardware. I've made 12"s myself in the past - and these were retailable for £5 or £6, ie: what your average joe charges for a 2 or 3000 run of them (rough uk price). Nevermind what that figure is with much higher numbers of unit production (like what must be created by serato/rane).

You sound like one of those peeps who won't pay for a record pool on "principle"

I'd love a coloured vinyl or two as well, but availability and pricing are a massive disinscentive, and i don't expect them to change this much either. It really hacks me off, rant over.
deejaymoody 7:36 PM - 13 November, 2010
how did you ever afford serato to begin with?
ZESH! 8:16 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
not with artists or managers taking they're respective cuts!

You sir, could not be more misinformed.

For your information, That's MY VOICE you hear when you put the needle on the record and hear that long BEEEEEEP.

Do you know how much they had to pay me to beep for 15 friggin minutes without taking a breath? My lungs still hurt from the lack of oxygen.
O.B.1 8:46 PM - 13 November, 2010
^^^you could have just looped it you know...
ZESH! 9:48 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
^^^you could have just looped it you know...

I'm Old School :p
Laz219 10:44 PM - 13 November, 2010
So you didn't stare at the waveforms while you recorded it? How did you stay on beat, isn't that impossible?
SeanJ 1:14 PM - 14 November, 2010
OMG i've just checked out the price of a pair of butter rugs, and you you know what, oh no,I also need a new SM44, i may just be better off CDJing it! :]
E-Double 4:43 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Drum&BASS wasnt cheap either. $12-15 a piece was normal and for those of us who love to get tablist with it, $24-30 for doubles of DNB/House vinyls. With the technology available, Your rant about the price of control vinyl is extremely pathetic.

Yeah, D&B was not cheap back in the day. I remember when I used to work at Imagine Music in Sac alot the of the hot D&B records were import double and even triple packs. Most of the time there was only one good track on em that the Junglists had to have regardless.

Yeah, $30 bucks every so often is cool with me.
DJ_Phenom 5:23 PM - 14 November, 2010
Just give me your Turntables and i'll give you a couple old ipods and we'll be straight
Nicky Blunt 5:42 PM - 14 November, 2010
I saw a comment on youtube! Kinda reminded me of this dude!

It went gay fag who is the gayest fag of all gay fags! Oh & hes a fag!

hahahaha made me chuckle!

But in all seriousness! Ur complaining about the cost of Control vinyl?

U must be a noob! Who never really did analogue dj'ing because imports were way more expensive & a lot less disposable!

Quit ur whining & go play soccer with the rest of the metrosexuals!
_Stuart 8:58 PM - 14 November, 2010
uk prices are between £13 and £15 which is roughy $21 and $24.50 each

a lot of the cv's available in america are all imports over here

surley they can find some pressing plant in the uk to make em so there cheaper for us :(
sacrilicious 9:30 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
OMG i've just checked out the price of a pair of butter rugs, and you you know what, oh no,I also need a new SM44, i may just be better off CDJing it! :]

Good riddance.
Laz219 10:30 PM - 14 November, 2010
You'll buy way overpriced CDJs but complain about the price of vinyl?
FunkyRob 4:47 AM - 15 November, 2010
Don't forget about the days of having to dish out $15 for Bryan Adams greatest hits CD because that was the only way you could get one of his sappy love songs for a Bride & Groom's first dance.

Don't lie, who here had to buy the Beaches soundtrack because the 45 to Wind Beneath My Wings was too hard to find in 1989?
Dj BuddyLove 7:27 AM - 15 November, 2010
DJ Alkemy 8:23 AM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:
WaaaaaaaaaAmbulence!
images.whatport80.com
picasaweb.google.com

Nice collection. I still have my plain old black set, dirty ass things now though lol
djbanno 10:22 AM - 15 November, 2010
Logisticalstyles 3:10 PM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:
Don't forget about the days of having to dish out $15 for Bryan Adams greatest hits CD because that was the only way you could get one of his sappy love songs for a Bride & Groom's first dance.

Don't lie, who here had to buy the Beaches soundtrack because the 45 to Wind Beneath My Wings was too hard to find in 1989?

I just experienced that with Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable". You can't buy the song on iTunes without buying the whole album.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:15 PM - 15 November, 2010
I was going to comment but it looks like its been summed up nicley already
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:40 PM - 15 November, 2010
Man, I thought I COULD BE FRUGAL....

Simple solution....

Go internal, don't even BRING turntables....

How about that?

Then you would have TRULY embraced the term n00b.

smh.
Nicky Blunt 3:35 AM - 16 November, 2010
better yet, why not download a load of other dj's mixes & pretend to be doing it yourself, tons of ppl are doing that nowadays & it makes them look cool!

LOL