DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The "Universal Conduct Manifesto for DJ's"

sweetL 10:54 AM - 12 April, 2007
I thought id start :-)

1. You will be able to beatmatch tracks of similar, half or of double tempo. You will be able to do so proficiently on vinyl media with no assistance of beat timers, or bpm counters.

2. You may use techy widgets to help you be creative, but you must be ABLE to perform with vinyl alone, and still perform well.

Hows that for a starter?
grrillatactics 2:47 PM - 12 April, 2007
There go a ton of famous mixtape DJ's careers (no mixing, just dropping in the next song)...
DJryantheHUGE 3:39 PM - 12 April, 2007
3. You must supress your insecurities about your skills by getting on your high horse about vinyl, even on a computer djing forum.

:P

Dude, if you rock the house, who friggen CARES if you're using real vinyl, or if you CAN use real vinyl? All the Dj's in the audience?

I think some DJ's (I'm not specifically talking about you, sweetL) went through HELL (myself included) to learn beatmatching, and it galls them that someone who didn't have to go through that hardship can just start mixing right away. They feel threatened by the flood of bedroom dj's that will suddenly start stealing gigs, even though that hasn't happened yet and probably never will.

Beatmatching is a SKILL. Nothing more. DJing is an ART. Filling the floor by reading the crowd, picking the right records and mixing them in cool ways - that's the art of djing.

Besides - vinyl is a pain in the ass! The laptop DJ revolution has freed us from the wax shackles! I can mix in ways that would be impossible back in the day, and it's all because I don't have to spend so much time and effort beatmatching. We should be dancing in the streets, pulling down a statue of Thomas Edison with ropes and bulldozers!! :)

Well, sorry for going off topic, I'm just tired of all the hate. Let's just play music and stop worrying about who is "real" and who isn't!
Releaux 3:41 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
We should be dancing in the streets, pulling down a statue of Thomas Edison with ropes and bulldozers!! :)

Excellent reference!
MusicMeister 4:01 PM - 12 April, 2007
I'd just say:

1. You should be able to read the crowd and party rock. ;-)

2. You should know enough about your gear to be able to set it up and perform basic troubleshooting of problems.

3. You should know enough about sound reinforcement to know what clipping is, what it sounds like and why it should be avoided at all costs.

4. You should understand what the REAL role of the DJ is at where you play.

5. Though shalt get all they music legally. I can't remember, is that a DJ rule or is that one of the RIAA commandments?

Seriously, get your music legally...
sixxx 4:14 PM - 12 April, 2007
I would add:

Thou shall not steal from another DJ.

Thou shall not sleep with another DJ's girl.

Thou shall never do anything half-ass
grrillatactics 6:09 PM - 12 April, 2007
Quote:
before going any further, a poll: who's taking the topic of this thread seriously? Raise your hand...

I take any spoof of a post that you made in another thread seriously, my friend. I have always wanted you to print copies of your Official Universal Conduct for DJs Manifesto, and have been telling you that for years...

:-)
sweetL 11:06 PM - 3 May, 2007
*lowers hand*

it was meant to be a response thread... like grillatactics says. made me laugh at the time anyway..

but seeming as there was a response that demands a response..

@djryanthehuge.. i do think you should be able to beatmatch on vinyl, but not because its vinyl, but (as indicated by the fact that i said no bpm helpers) because theres no way to cheat. its a skill that you should be able to do with anything... my point wasnt that it should be vinyl, but that you must be able to do it without 'helper' tools.
DJryantheHUGE 11:16 PM - 3 May, 2007
I see where you're coming from - I just think that beatmatching is a skill whose usefulness is fading. Sucks, since I busted my ass learning it in the 90's!! :P
Nicky Blunt 11:24 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
I see where you're coming from - I just think that beatmatching is a skill whose usefulness is fading. Sucks, since I busted my ass learning it in the 90's!! :P

I'll co-sign that!