Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Speed(tempo) Lock

AKIEM 6:34 PM - 10 April, 2007
sure to fit into the "bells and whistles" category but...

How about the reverse of "key lock"?

Moving the 'Pitch adj.' will leave the speed of the track where it is, but will change the Key as expected.

I think it would be kinda cool as a 'musical' device.
skinnyguy 8:10 PM - 10 April, 2007
isn't that what PnT is supposed to do? or are you hoping for a version with degraded quality, like the key lock is of lower quality than PnT?
AKIEM 9:10 PM - 10 April, 2007
no, this is the reverse of Key Lock or PNT.

with those, sliding the pitch changes the speed or tempo, while the pitch is constant.

THIS, will keep the speed constant while changing the pitch.

its the reverse
ekwipt 8:47 AM - 11 April, 2007
I'd expect this with PnT though
AKIEM 5:40 PM - 11 April, 2007
oh....

nevermind
sweetL 10:55 PM - 27 May, 2008
lol @ this post!
scruzdj 5:39 AM - 19 June, 2008
AKIEM - yes, yes... let's hope!!
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:41 AM - 19 June, 2008
wuid be cool

+1
SpinThis! 5:24 PM - 19 June, 2008
+100 ;)

It would be even better to have the option to set this and have it persist per track... some tracks are just plain a few % out of key and would useful to correct those and then be able to tempo change them in the corrected key. (For example, "Music Sounds Better With You" from Stardust immediately comes to mind as being 2% or so under pitched.)
AKIEM 9:19 PM - 19 June, 2008
Im not even sure I would use it allot, Im not to much into harmonic mixing, maybe I would be. But I think allot of people would get allot out of it.

what if you had a toggle key: key lock vs tempo lock.
or 'pitch lock' is on, if you hold a key it is 'tempo lock'.

That way while cuing you could first find the right speed then find the right pitch, or vice verse.
SpinThis! 5:19 AM - 20 June, 2008
or maybe 2 sliders? not to clutter things up too much but that would give you the most control. make the pitch one smaller than the normal one...
Proto J 8:39 AM - 23 June, 2008
this is an awesome idea because it would allow you to force songs in key that otherwise just won't work...
AKIEM 12:29 PM - 21 July, 2010
still think this could be a good idea

how about option for it to 'step' up/down keys ?
aliastx 3:38 PM - 13 August, 2010
Step Up - Step Down is exactly what we need, having a MANUAL pitch slider would require a ridiculously tuned ear (e.g., Perfect Pitch) to use properly. What would be better is if the software could estimate the key of the song during Analysis, and allow us to match it in the next track.
wrosenbl12 2:27 AM - 15 August, 2010
i want a mixed in key plugin but key shift slider is a horrible idea. i guarantee you it would RARELY get used correctly.
AKIEM 8:14 AM - 15 August, 2010
Quote:
i want a mixed in key plugin but key shift slider is a horrible idea. i guarantee you it would RARELY get used correctly.

ok - wonder if that was said about putting a PITCH control on the 1200s

LOL
wrosenbl12 9:34 AM - 15 August, 2010
here's my reasoning...i didn't think i would need to explain it. knowing when tracks are mixed in key is much more difficult than knowing if tracks are beatmatched...ultimately it takes a well trained ear or somebody with a strong musical intuition. (an untrained ear can tell if they hear two beats...but key clashes are a different story.) i find tracks run through mixed in keys aren't always tagged correctly and i have NO musical training...i'll try to solve the puzzle sometimes or sometimes i'll just delete the key from the tag and mix them with whatever i think will sound clean. i honestly feel that ppl would run the tracks through mixed in key and 100% rely on the pitch shifter...a pitch shifter really strays away from the DVS aspect of SSL. Virtual DJ has this feature and honestly it feels a bit toyish to me...(but then again it's VDJ).

most ppl as it sits don't understand "the science" of how a change in pitch affects the key of a track...as it sits right now you already have an option to rock key lock on or off...giving you options of the key of the track...any wider range that is accessible to the user is more than likely to result in constant "misuse of the feature" while clogging SSL with more lines of code.

with the introduction of the bridge you can bump up a track up or down as many semitones as you'd like...i honestly feel this is the best bet. in addition AKIEM...if you use the bridge to make all your mixes in key...it'll keep your mixes one step above anybody else...perhaps you can consider yourself elite. :-)

i have 100% faith AKIEM that you'd use this feature to it's fullest potential...i just doubt that most other ppl will use it correctly. serato shouldn't insert a feature that is likely to get used incorrectly as much as it is going to be used correctly and the bridge is the perfect alternative. i like my scratch live plain and simple.
AKIEM 10:49 AM - 15 August, 2010
hmm. just saying that the pitch control on turntables was originally meant to change the speed, not for mixing rather to just adjust the pitch. now look where we are.

Also it would be pretty much the same thing - "a pitch control"
You see what I am saying? Is the pitch control on a tt being misused to mix (no keylock)????

I can't see how there is going to be anymore key clashing then there has always been. Its not like DJs are all the sudden going to be taking two songs that normally match then use this feature to screw it all up.

And I dont see why features should be passed because they could be used incorrectly - isnt that almost any feature??

sure, keep the code down. The reason I made the suggestion is realizing that the hard part was likely already done by adding 'key lock'. I dont know exactly but it seemed to me that adding the key lock was the hard part, this would just be telling it to plug in some different numbers when you press a button.

I can agree with you about using the bridge as a way (just notice that this thread is three years old)
aliastx 4:28 PM - 16 August, 2010
www.mixedinkey.com

Check that out - there is actually software that detects the key of every song in your library. The point would be to replicate this functionality in the Serato "Analyze" process and then add a key STEP feature, not a key slider - a key slider would be WAY too difficult to use, except for people who have perfect pitch. Alternatively, a key step could be easily utilized, ESPECIALLY if the file was analyzed beforehand and the Dj already knew the pitch of the incoming and outgoing songs.
aliastx 4:29 PM - 16 August, 2010
AKIEM, I agree this thread is old as hell - MAY be beneficial to bring the discussion to a newer thread like the one I started a few days ago: www.serato.com
AKIEM 10:55 PM - 16 August, 2010
yes, I use mixedinkey

but please just notice one thing: Turntables, Technics 1200 have ALWAYS had a pitch control on them.

sure, a slide would be difficult (but useful for so much 90s hip-hop production that ignores key when adjusting samples). But a step slider should work perfectly well.

and again please notice there is a perfectly able to be abused PITCH SLIDER ON EVERY SINGLE DJ TURNTABLE EVER CREATED.

instead of being stuck on how it could/would be abused just notice THAT THERE IS ALREADY ONE THERE!!!

turntables can be "abused" in SO many ways, lets not count them
take5 8:28 AM - 10 February, 2011
Has there been any progress on this? I recently bought the rane ttm57 mixer and was hoping for this feature, but it seems there is only key lock ?? !!!

I used to own tractor final scratch, and even back when that came out I was able to pitch the vinyl with the turntable until it matched in melody, then I would use the time stretch function to fix the tempo of the drums to match. Teh end result being a song that matched in BPM as well as melody. This really is a MUST for Serato.

Now if i was able to do this with Fina lscratch about 4 years ago why is this function not available for Serato in 2011, especially when they have the developed the "Pitch 'n Time" pluggin which is supposed to be top shelf??

Is this pluggin usable with Serato ? HELP!

PLEASE HELP!
skinnyguy 1:51 AM - 11 February, 2011
last i remember, they said that PnT for ssl was still too cpu intensive.
take5 8:59 AM - 11 February, 2011
yeah its looks very excessive too, like for what a DJ would need on the fly. Really all we need is something where we can adjust the tempo of the drums separately from the melodies. Tell me there is something in the works?