Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Copying Crates To a USB Flash Drive

zaguama 5:02 AM - 26 October, 2010
Just saw this on the Serato Newsletter and i'm wondering if anyone knows if this is supposed to work in ITCH? Anyhow, i tried it without luck but not sure if im doing something wrong :D but definitely sounds like a nice feature. (Yeah i know says Scratchlive but since the crates structure is very similar i gave it a go :P)

Support tip of the month

Copying Crates to a USB Flash Drive

For some gigs you may not need or want to bring your computer, however you have some awesome crates that you simply can't live without. Scratch Live makes it easy to copy these crates to a USB flash drive for use on another computer.

To copy your crate(s):

1. Open the Files panel in Scratch Live
2. Click on the crate(s) you wish to copy
3. Drag the crates onto your USB flash drive in the Files panel. You will then be prompted to either 'copy' or 'move' - make sure you select 'copy'
4. A progress bar will now appear below the files panel. Once this is completed you can remove your USB flash drive (make sure you do this safely)

You now have a copy of your crate(s) on your USB flash drive. Simply plug it into a computer running Scratch Live and your crates will appear, ready for you to use
kraal 5:08 AM - 26 October, 2010
reading that sounds like it copies the crates not the actual files tho --
zaguama 5:10 AM - 26 October, 2010
well what point it makes to copy the crates without the actual files? lol.
DJdaveZ 6:33 AM - 26 October, 2010
yes, zag, what point would it be without the files? but if serato has integrated crates with files enough to move stuff around, then the ability to copy a sorted crate of files to a new location is possible.. and that solves a lot of things we've been looking for and scratch tools does, and the Roman Alekseenkov program does... right? please excuse me if i am a little misinformed... who knows...anyone? i havent tried it yet.
zaguama 1:57 PM - 26 October, 2010
i think you are confusing 2 things. you can already delete the actual mp3 files from your hard drive from within ITCH and SSL so if it lets you delete them then why not let you copy them or move them.
dj ask 8:16 PM - 26 October, 2010
okay guys so immediately after getting the mail, I got curious. downloaded sl and tried it. it works. it moves mp3's and the serato folder as well. neat! itch sucks! ahem im playing. lol
kraal 8:18 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
okay guys so immediately after getting the mail, I got curious. downloaded sl and tried it. it works. it moves mp3's and the serato folder as well. neat! itch sucks! ahem im playing. lol

thanks i was gonna ask if anyone tried that i dont have a flash drive
dj ask 8:20 PM - 26 October, 2010
seems like it works with any kind of storage device. sd card, hard drive, my phone etc.. neat!!!!!!!!!
kraal 8:38 PM - 26 October, 2010
Quote:
seems like it works with any kind of storage device. sd card, hard drive, my phone etc.. neat!!!!!!!!!

so you can do that in SSL and it will show up in itch
DJdaveZ 8:42 PM - 26 October, 2010
so i guess this will be another feature coming in 2.0...
zaguama 9:10 PM - 26 October, 2010
hopefully :), seems very handy and useful in my opinion.
marcA 8:49 AM - 27 October, 2010
+1
marcA 8:50 AM - 27 October, 2010
it is a great backup tool to!
just copy all crates to an external disk and hook that one up to another portable and off you go....
i'm waiting for this feature....
mrddyn 1:21 PM - 27 October, 2010
get the Itch installable and the set you want to play on a usb drive and you can take that as backup if your laptop crashes, burns, gets lost or is otherwise incapacitated. basically you can use anyone's laptop without having to lug a harddrive around. you can get plenty of music on a 8gb stick.
feisal20 12:15 AM - 19 December, 2010
Does this keep the files in order in your crate as well? I've got a set-list prepped and don't want to have re-order the files when I plug it into somebody else's laptop.

Assume it doesn't hold onto loops as well, or does it copy all other settings over? Thanks much,

- F
kraal 12:33 AM - 19 December, 2010
the files hold all that info 9 cues loops ect) so where ever you take the files you have that info
Underground 11:53 PM - 19 December, 2010
Do I need to have Scratch Tools downloaded to do this?
kraal 12:10 AM - 20 December, 2010
No
mantisdubstep 3:32 AM - 30 October, 2011
How do i do this without creating tons of duplicates in my original crates?
MagicMerv 4:57 PM - 26 July, 2012
is it recommended to use a flash drive to dj from? is there any type "delay" when dj'ing from a flash drive as opposed just having the songs on my laptop. what are the pros and cons for each... thanking you in advance for the feedback.
madmax_whomanity 4:29 PM - 29 September, 2013
when i try this it doesnt keep the files in order... what if i want to take a set on a memory stick and obviously need to keep the set in order? i have done this once before but forgot how to do it!
MagicMerv 4:29 AM - 17 October, 2013
Drag the crates on to your flash drive, then select copy. Safely remove the flash drive you are good to go...
madmax_whomanity 3:06 PM - 21 March, 2014
it just copies the files the same as if you dragged and dropped onto your desktop. it doesn't keep the files in their original order there is a better was to do this im sure...
MagicMerv 11:49 PM - 21 March, 2014
Hmmm... I will be checking on that shortly...
madmax_whomanity 4:27 AM - 22 March, 2014
i managed it once when i exported crates and before each track name the crate name was there so it kept tracks in original order, otherwise it goes to alphabetical order every time... forgot how i did it arghh