Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

More than one Midi-Controller assignable to each Function

Mr Frrreshhh 10:05 AM - 25 October, 2010
Hi,
it would be great to being able to map not only one Midi-Controller to a function in Serato but as much as the User wants to.

Example:
I use an MPC to control Serato via Midi. The mpc has 16 pads and 4 pad banks (which means that i can assign 16*4 = 64 functions).
i have mapped global controls to pad bank A, cue points to pad bank B, Loop-functions to pad bank C, and Crate-controls to pad bank D.
for me it would be great if I could map for example the function "autoloop on/off" to pad 1 in every pad-bank!

Another example:
if i want to use more than the possible 64 controlling posibilities, than i can switch the midi-channel on the mpc, so that i can control a really large amount of functions per midi.
By having the Possibility to map several controllers/different keys/pads to each function in Serato it would be possible to be much faster in controlling Serato and this could take the "controlling-Serato-via-midi" issue to a whole new level!!!

So I want to be able to e.g. controll the "autoloop on/off" function with
the same pad in each pad bank (A, B, C, D) and in several midi-channel that i configured it to. So the Auto-loop function has several midi-controllers mapped to it
all saved in one single midi-map in serato.

Another example of how convenient this would be is the possibility of controlling serato with more than only one midi-controller at a time.
So whichever of your Midi-controller you've got plugged-in, you can control Serato as you are used to. (let's say you normally use the mpc to controll Serato, but at the moment you have to play some live sound with the mpc, you can just - without having to load a new midi-map in serato - use another controller that you have also mapped to the functions in Serato, too, while playing live, and after finishing the mpc-live action, you can use the mpc again to controll the exact same functions that you just controlled with the other controller.
(of course while playing sounds with the MPC i have to turn the midi-out off and turn it on again when I finished playing).

I hope that people understand what i'm trying to say here...

The point is: this is surely not hard to program/implement in Serato, but it could be a real improvement for djs, especially for playing live!!!
nik39 3:13 AM - 3 November, 2010
+1
Laz219 3:01 AM - 4 November, 2010
+1
powercut 4:49 PM - 5 November, 2010
+1 it would be handy!
BigBoiBBp 7:28 PM - 5 November, 2010
+1

im currently using a mpd 26 and a lpd8 but i would like to be able to use another mpd 26 and have some of the mappings the same on both (just for the faders)
KaBoom 2:28 AM - 6 November, 2010
with your mpd, you should be able to edit the device itself, so you can make pad one on each of the banks the same. I've got an mpd24 and I've done this.
KaBoom 2:30 AM - 6 November, 2010
and you can save midi profiles in the setup screen. ie saving an mpd profile, saving a triggerfinger profile.
BigBoiBBp 6:22 AM - 6 November, 2010
@Kaboom: i am able to do that however, what i am looking for is to have 2 physical mpd's both to control different things. i do however understand that if i get 2 mpd's i can map more then one button on either controller to the same function but what im trying to do is some thing different.

good tip though!
DJ TooHypE 3:16 AM - 7 November, 2010
+1

Own MPD24 & can add second MPD24 with my setup.
radikarl 10:22 PM - 12 November, 2010
everyone saying "plus one", but no one tried to do the following:

enter midi learn mode
hold down ctrl key
klick on something that is already mapped
you see the red box.

and another box

map another control to it
works for "alt", "ctrl & alt" and "shift" too. (maybe more, but those are the ones that i could figure out by reading the keyboard shortcuts. strangely, ctrl & shift does not seem to work)

by the way, with this, i managed to map loop rolls with a fix length to a button, exactly as on the dicer green page ;-)
so if you use that, the actual function will differ from the regular one,
but only in those cases where there are different controls, e.g. loops and loop rolls.

but i still miss an option to map "delete a cue point". there is no keyboard shortcut either for that. very sad.

if anyone happens to know if and how that is mappable.
it would be great.
the dicers can do it so there has to be some way.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:45 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
Hi,
it would be great to being able to map not only one Midi-Controller to a function in Serato but as much as the User wants to.

Example:
I use an MPC to control Serato via Midi. The mpc has 16 pads and 4 pad banks (which means that i can assign 16*4 = 64 functions).
i have mapped global controls to pad bank A, cue points to pad bank B, Loop-functions to pad bank C, and Crate-controls to pad bank D.
for me it would be great if I could map for example the function "autoloop on/off" to pad 1 in every pad-bank!

Another example:
if i want to use more than the possible 64 controlling posibilities, than i can switch the midi-channel on the mpc, so that i can control a really large amount of functions per midi.
By having the Possibility to map several controllers/different keys/pads to each function in Serato it would be possible to be much faster in controlling Serato and this could take the "controlling-Serato-via-midi" issue to a whole new level!!!

So I want to be able to e.g. controll the "autoloop on/off" function with
the same pad in each pad bank (A, B, C, D) and in several midi-channel that i configured it to. So the Auto-loop function has several midi-controllers mapped to it
all saved in one single midi-map in serato.

Another example of how convenient this would be is the possibility of controlling serato with more than only one midi-controller at a time.
So whichever of your Midi-controller you've got plugged-in, you can control Serato as you are used to. (let's say you normally use the mpc to controll Serato, but at the moment you have to play some live sound with the mpc, you can just - without having to load a new midi-map in serato - use another controller that you have also mapped to the functions in Serato, too, while playing live, and after finishing the mpc-live action, you can use the mpc again to controll the exact same functions that you just controlled with the other controller.
(of course while playing sounds with the MPC i have to turn the midi-out off and turn it on again when I finished playing).

I hope that people understand what i'm trying to say here...

The point is: this is surely not hard to program/implement in Serato, but it could be a real improvement for djs, especially for playing live!!!

you can do this already

previous to getting the dicers I had a Trigger Finger and an nanoKontrol.

I had 4 banks set up on the Trigger Finger with loop on/off on each bank.

I also had 2 different banks set-up on the nanoKontrol, one for video functions and one that duplicated the page I used the most on the trigger finger. At any time I could use either controller to do everything I needed. If I had them both plugged in I would just set them to different presets. I never had to mess with the midi-preset in Serato once I had it dialed.

To do this I used the editors that came with each midi controller. I changed the midi channel number for the controls I wanted duplicated to be identical on each controller.
nik39 1:02 AM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
everyone saying "plus one", but no one tried to do the following:

enter midi learn mode
hold down ctrl key
klick on something that is already mapped
you see the red box.

and another box

map another control to it
works for "alt", "ctrl & alt" and "shift" too. (maybe more, but those are the ones that i could figure out by reading the keyboard shortcuts. strangely, ctrl & shift does not seem to work)

How would that help if you want to map the same function to multiple midi events?
radikarl 12:39 PM - 14 November, 2010
if there is no other function for a modifier key, e.g.
"click play"
and
"click play while holding ctrl"
do the same.

then you can assign two midi events to trigger that.
deepdjdanny 7:59 AM - 4 December, 2010
+infinity
BERTO 11:52 PM - 4 December, 2010
yea i think you can do this i had a nanopad and akai lpd8 to the same control........
Rishi 5:01 AM - 2 July, 2011
+1

Especially when using the bridge.

Mostly my ableton controller controls directly thru ableton but there are things inside Serato like SYNC select and Output that need to be mapped + the focus window.