DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

No more remixes!!!

DJ NoNseNse 9:13 PM - 14 October, 2010
Anyone else just getting tired of all these lame house/electro remixes? There's one decent remix for every 50 of them.
Djaward 9:16 PM - 14 October, 2010
this thread is full of nonsense.
BERTO 9:18 PM - 14 October, 2010
electro remixes are awesome but i agree most are not, you really have to dig to find decent ones
DJ NoNseNse 9:20 PM - 14 October, 2010
I like the electro remixes of songs that need a remix. Some songs like Only girl from Rihanna I don't think needs a dozen remixes.
sixxx 9:31 PM - 14 October, 2010
A remix of a remix of a remix...

Yeah. Remixes need to end.

Well, most of them anyway.
sixxx 9:32 PM - 14 October, 2010
Oh yeah... and PLEASE STOP MAKING ELECTRO REMIXES OF HIP HOP SONGS.

Most of them just sound retarded.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 14 October, 2010
Quote:
Anyone else just getting tired of all these lame house/electro remixes? There's one decent remix for every 50 of them.

I agree, now i love a good electro remix as much as the next guy (though my crowds despise them) but its ridiculous when a song drops and theres immediatley 300 different remixes, especially when most arent even close to good.....im FAIRLY positive at this point alot of the popular remixers are just gettin a check, like they wake up eat breakfast realise they need to up the bank account or have some songs due for the week, go to their email see what accapellas are out and take 10 minutes to throw something together to have stuff out there
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 14 October, 2010
dont even get me started on those dutch remixs
DJ NoNseNse 9:38 PM - 14 October, 2010
Quote:

those dutch remixes are horrible
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:42 PM - 14 October, 2010
i personally HATE them, and i dont know ANYONE who likes em....but theyre poppin up on remix sites like there the only things people listen to
Dj Shamann 10:03 PM - 14 October, 2010
Quote:

I don't just co-sign, I co-mo-fo-sign.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:04 PM - 14 October, 2010
good i thought i was alone on that issue.......wheeww i thought i was losing my hipness lol
Dj Shamann 10:12 PM - 14 October, 2010
Well they all fucking sound the same. I don't know how anyone at a party would say "oh shit...that's my jam right here" and be able to tell it from the next.

It's like "hey, do you know this song? It goes Blip, bleep, blip..blip-bloooooow"

*Dj plays record*

"No sorry, that's not it.. I asked for Blip, bleep, blip..blip-bloooooow...not Blip, bleep, blip... blip, bi-doooooow"
dj_soo 10:18 PM - 14 October, 2010
meh - i wish auto-tune would stop in pop music, I wish lady gaga would just go the hell away, and I wish this trancey sound would stop infiltrating pop music but it doesn't mean it's going to happen
Wazo 10:20 PM - 14 October, 2010
where would we all be without remixes?
Dj Shamann 10:28 PM - 14 October, 2010
Quote:

It's not really that there's anything wrong with remixes, we just don't need 50 of them for every song. I'm tired of logging in to Dj City and seeing some jackasses daily installment of "Like A G6".

If these assholes spent half as much time creating new music as they do trying to be one of the crowd with their version of something that's been done 30 times over, there might actually be a little more good music out there.
Wazo 10:39 PM - 14 October, 2010
yes you are right. good one.
mastermind 11:23 PM - 14 October, 2010
Quote:
yes you are right. good one.

No misquote needed
DJ NoNseNse 11:26 PM - 14 October, 2010
what about bmore remixes?
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:34 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
meh - i wish auto-tune would stop in pop music, I wish lady gaga would just go the hell away, and I wish this trancey sound would stop infiltrating pop music but it doesn't mean it's going to happen

To be fair I haven't heard anything new from gaga for a while
KYLE SMILE 12:39 AM - 15 October, 2010
I think it's a good thing really. If you have the time to really scalp through tracks on the net to find the best remixes that aren't as popular, you'll stand out.

Just like it used to be in record shops, spending hours on end trying to find that huge floorfiller.
BERTO 12:40 AM - 15 October, 2010
i understand the frustration with all the remixes but now everyone is too " cool" for remixes? dont be so jaded everyone knows 95% of all remixes are garbage but you all know (whether you want to admit it or not) that there are really cool remixes/edits of a lot of what would be categorized as "mainstream" garbage
BERTO 12:40 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
I think it's a good thing really. If you have the time to really scalp through tracks on the net to find the best remixes that aren't as popular, you'll stand out.

Just like it used to be in record shops, spending hours on end trying to find that huge floorfiller.

+1
dj_soo 1:05 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

To be fair I haven't heard anything new from gaga for a while

to be fair, i still have to listen to/play all the shitty songs from the past.
DJ Fez 1:28 AM - 15 October, 2010
i might get some hater for this one....but i love the remixes.

i hate listening to most pop garbage these days but if a talented producer takes the track and makes it interesting by adding some nice melodies, a solid beat, and chopping up (or cutting out alot) of the vocals, then i can enjoy the song more.

I HATE Kesha, but have heard some danceable remixes of her stuff that dont bore me to death. Hyper Crush and Jumpsmokerz do a pretty good job of making songs that are overplayed on the radio somewhat interesting again, and for a crowd who is super mainstream they still can work

That being said, I usually stick to remixes from established producers who I know...and once I find my favorite remix of a song (or at least one that I really like) then I stop looking. Now that doesn't mean I just have all Dave Aude remixes...because all his stuff is predictable, club friendly, but boring in my opinion.

hope this makes sense
bill-e 1:42 AM - 15 October, 2010
why do they even call some of songs "remixes" sometimes...it'll be like the first two words of the song, then be some other shite with no elements of the original song.
not even a fucking remix, but an entirely different thing.
ugh.
Jensen Määäm 2:09 AM - 15 October, 2010
My observation is: when I see all the mixes in the post your mixes here thread, they are full of remixes, like every current song is a rmx and I'm asking myself, where are all these remixes coming from, do I have to know all these mixes? Hell no! And from my experience top 40 mainstream crowds are basically not going for remixes, they want what they know and nothing else. Remixes can be good, better than the original, sometimes, but do we need a rmx for everything? Hell no! It's a free world, but if every dj is playing a different version of a song I'm pretty sure the people getting confused, tired of that and angry by the end, they just wanna hear the got damn song, like it is (on the radio).
And if there is an electro rmx to every song there is just because electro is hip right now, I'm so tired of this! It's all about variety, different types of music and quality music and no need that everything needs to be electro.
DJ DennisJ 4:05 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
My observation is: when I see all the mixes in the post your mixes here thread, they are full of remixes, like every current song is a rmx and I'm asking myself, where are all these remixes coming from, do I have to know all these mixes? Hell no! And from my experience top 40 mainstream crowds are basically not going for remixes, they want what they know and nothing else. Remixes can be good, better than the original, sometimes, but do we need a rmx for everything? Hell no! It's a free world, but if every dj is playing a different version of a song I'm pretty sure the people getting confused, tired of that and angry by the end, they just wanna hear the got damn song, like it is (on the radio).
And if there is an electro rmx to every song there is just because electro is hip right now, I'm so tired of this! It's all about variety, different types of music and quality music and no need that everything needs to be electro.

Yep, that's why I'm rarely listening to mixes on the 'post your mixes' thread now. Every mix is:

Quote:
DJ JoeBlowski: Hey check out my mix. Top40 and electro, many edits.

Track 1: <played out song> (JoeBlowSki Edit)
Track 2: <played out song> (Unknown Dj that JoeBlowski hangs with Edit)
Track 3: <good song that doesn't need an edit> (JoeBlowSki edit)
gotchuckz 4:37 AM - 15 October, 2010
^ does that include your own mixes?
DJ DennisJ 5:24 AM - 15 October, 2010
^ I've posted probably 4 edits in that forum, two were mashups and two were special 'san diego' versions, I think.

But just since you asked, here's the last two tracklists of the last two mixes I posted. The first being a mix made without a single 'intro' version. The second without a single edit by me except something I made to scratch with.

-------------------------------------------
Back In The Day We Called This Pop

Tracklist:
Dance With Me - Tony Moran
Bad Of The Heart (Razormaid Mix) - George Lamond
Girl - Daize
My Heart Skips a Beat (12" Mix) - Cover Girls
Tears May Fall - TKA
Girls Do It Just For Fun - Legacy
If You Leave Me Now - Jaya
Together Forever - Lizette Melendez
Don't Break My Heart (Extended) - Sa-Fire
Giggles - Love Letter (Club Mix) - Giggles
Sweet Sensation - Hooked On You - Various Artists
Dream Boy Dream Girl - Cynthia & Johnny O
Ive Been Thinking About You - Jocelyn Enriquez
Sincerely Yours (Acapella) - Sweet Sensation
Do You Miss Me - (Freestyle Mix) - Jocelyn Enriquez
Take A Chance - Nuance
Silent Morning (Extended Mix) - Noel
Because of you (Extended Club) - Cover Girls
I.O.U. - Freeze
Notice Me (Club Vocal) - Sandee
I Wonder If I Take You Home - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
All Night - Trinere
Summertime,Summertime (Club Ext)
Together Forever - Lisette Melendez
Party Your Body - Stevie B
I Feel It In My Heart - Pain
Died In Your Arms - Joee/Intination
Rock Me (Extended) - Connie
Fantasy Girl - Johnny O
Take Me In Your Arms (12'' Mix) - Lil Suzy

listen: www.house-mixes.com

download: filesd.house-mixes.com

Dennis J - Dubs in the Club

Acca-scratch Intro [DJ Dennis J]
143 [Bobby Brackins ft Ray J]
Bottle Service [Duane DaRock ft Jadakiss & Akapello]
Shutterbug (Throw It Up Edit) [Big Boi]
Outta Your Mind [Lil Jon ft LMFAO]
Outta Your Mind - NASA vs Kidd Spin Transition [Lil Jon ft LMFAO]
Airplanes - DJ Mega Man & DJ Panic City Remix [B.O.B. ft Hayley Williams]
La La La (PeteDown Big Beat) [Auburn ft Iyaz]
Teenage Dream - NASA Short Edit [Katy Perry]
Sexting - Alex Rage Edit [Ludacris]
Dirty Picture - Fabolous Remix [Kesha ft Taio Cruz & Fabolous]
Tik Tok Rock (Audio1 Edit) [Versecity]
Dynamite - DJ Tommy Diz Gaga Intro [Taio Cruz]
ADD SUV - Armand Van Helden Remix [Uffie ft Pharrell]
Your Name - Pitbull Remix [Swedish House Mafia ft Pharrell & Pitbull]
F#ck You - Radioaktives Remix [Cee-Lo ft Radioaktives]
Club Can't Handle Me [Flo Rida ft David Guetta]
Bon Bon [Pitbull]
Sabotage (DJ Kue's OMG Remix) [Beastie Boys]
I Can't Dance (Parafyn Quick Hit) [Dirt Nasty ft LMFAO]
Hey - McNugget Remix [Lil Jon ft 3OH3!]
Heads Will Roll (A-trak remix) [Yeah Yeah Yeahs]
Yes [LMFAO]
Favorite DJ - Clinton Sparks 127-80 Trans [Clinton Sparks ft Jermaine Dupri & DJ Class]
When I Used to be a Gangster Rapper [Oh Snap!]

soundcloud.com
gotchuckz 6:19 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
^ I've posted probably 4 edits in that forum, two were mashups and two were special 'san diego' versions, I think.

But just since you asked, here's the last two tracklists of the last two mixes I posted. The first being a mix made without a single 'intro' version. The second without a single edit by me except something I made to scratch with.

i thought you meant you didn't play other people's edits.

anyways i checked out the dubs in the club mix. nice scratch intro.
DJ DennisJ 8:07 AM - 15 October, 2010
Haha thanks, I thought it would be cool to do a scratch intro combined with a wordplay transition.

No, I play other's edits, I just don't edit every single song myself so that it is super-easy to mix it in and then create a whole mix of "Dennis J Edits". That seems to the latest trend, ie. "If you can't mix it, remix it!". It might as well be an ableton mix at that point.
djcruz99 12:38 PM - 15 October, 2010
Don't forget, most kids hate remixes. They will come up to you and say "can you play the radio version". I like a good remix but most of them SUCK!!!!.
DJ Ritmo 12:59 PM - 15 October, 2010
im down with doing my own blends. i keep it simple mostly with blend starting off with the original beat then transitioning into some other beat. Very effective and people dig it everywhere i play. from top 40 to gutter hiphop.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:26 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Don't forget, most kids hate remixes. They will come up to you and say "can you play the radio version". I like a good remix but most of them SUCK!!!!.

+1000000 most people in my area cant stand remixes, it takes foreve for the radio and TV to beat itin their head that they like the song in the 1st place that programmin aint goin nowhere lol
Jensen Määäm 1:41 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
im down with doing my own blends. i keep it simple mostly with blend starting off with the original beat then transitioning into some other beat. Very effective and people dig it everywhere i play. from top 40 to gutter hiphop.

By the end of the day, there is no wrong and no right and as long as you keep the crowd satisfied you are cool. It is my oppinion that I don't need a rmx from every go damn song. I play remixes if they are good and better than the original song or in some special cases or if they exchanged/add some rappers in the song, so you have more variety.
But editing songs just to have a 32 intro and outro on every song is booring as hell and it gets worse when you start changing beats on every song like funky mixes back in the days, uuuhhhhh!
DJ Ritmo 2:05 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

By the end of the day, there is no wrong and no right and as long as you keep the crowd satisfied you are cool. It is my oppinion that I don't need a rmx from every go damn song. I play remixes if they are good and better than the original song or in some special cases or if they exchanged/add some rappers in the song, so you have more variety.
But editing songs just to have a 32 intro and outro on every song is booring as hell and it gets worse when you start changing beats on every song like funky mixes back in the days, uuuhhhhh!

I agree no one wants intro outro music all night eventhough its easy to do it does get boring. As for changing out beats but keeping the lyrics constant I say thats the best way to do a remix or blend without loosing what people actually like about the song. I like sometime mashing and crashing beats together. I dont really dig changing out lyrics and chopping them up all the time. Sometimes its good to get really crazy remixes but most of them are too over the top for the average top 40 crowd. Most crowds can appreciate a simple blend of a current track into a song of similiar popularity. Its all about keeping the crowd happy.

We can all dream of place were we can play what we want all night in whatever fashion but seriously its all about keeping the peeps entertained and most remixes confuse most people. I have actually had people tell me dont play any crazy versions I just want the regular song.
Color TV 2:06 PM - 15 October, 2010
Everything is a remix: nycelectro.com I did not make this video, but its cool.
Manny Rize 7:02 AM - 17 October, 2010
this thread is dope..i serioulsy thought i was the only one mad at remixes that sound like an acapella over a random ass beat, like they just hit the warp button on ableton and call it a day..
DJ DennisJ 6:31 PM - 17 October, 2010
I bet crack4djs, jymix and crooklynclan hate this thread. If everyone believed in the art of using originals they'd have to actually DJ to make money.
mastermind 6:40 PM - 17 October, 2010
i use original 90 to 95 present originals and instrumentals. dont like remixes unless they are better than the original witch is not often.
dj kreate 7:15 PM - 17 October, 2010
i guess i will stop working on my pretty boy swag electro remix, FML
DJ DennisJ 7:18 PM - 17 October, 2010
considering that that song is utter garbage with some of the worst lyrics since the dawn of time, please do!
mastermind 7:22 PM - 17 October, 2010
electro has been out !!! where have you been?
DJ DennisJ 7:32 PM - 17 October, 2010
I think this just illustrates the point of the thread. Electro... already out. Yet someone working on an electro remix. Point proven.
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:11 PM - 17 October, 2010
Quote:
im down with doing my own blends. i keep it simple mostly with blend starting off with the original beat then transitioning into some other beat. Very effective and people dig it everywhere i play. from top 40 to gutter hip-hop.

+1) I do MY OWN RMX & Blends Also.

I agree w/the RMXs being BS, even tho I dont do electro.... RMXs have flooded almost everywhere. My opinion is this: Diddy did it 1st & to me, If there is a BEST then He's It. At least Most of his make some sence.... Im Jus Sayin
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:15 PM - 17 October, 2010
allentown.craigslist.org

@ DJ M. Bezzle.... Check that ad out & pass it to Johnny M & tell'em its from me (He'll Kno What it means - LOL)

I bet there wudn't b alot of RMXs if we were still there (LOL)
P.S. Respect.... No Thread Dis N10did.
MISTER RIPPER 8:27 PM - 17 October, 2010
Quote:
Oh yeah... and PLEASE STOP MAKING ELECTRO REMIXES OF HIP HOP SONGS.

Most of them just sound retarded.

100% RIGHT ^^^^^

I just started spinning house music ... and the first thing i notice was the terrible hip hop remixes they are bad cuz because the flow dosent match the ones that are allright are the ones that use a phrase and dosent try to blend a verse.. i like the transition remixes they are good for club where u play house and hip hop but i guess that really aint a remix just a dj edits
jevo9 9:24 PM - 17 October, 2010
I think Dj enferno does a good job on remixing. Anyhow remixing needs to die and fade out.
dj_soo 9:37 PM - 17 October, 2010
there are tons of good remixes - but way more terrible ones.

the same can be said about anything tho - even "original" music.
mastermind 10:23 PM - 17 October, 2010
i feel bad for you if you introduce yourself as the trendy music at the time.

example;

I'm an electro dj
i'm a mash up dj
i'm a dub step dj

what happens when that gets old? you get old with it and now you have to jump on the next trend and seem like a wack ass sale out!!!!!!!!!
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:24 AM - 18 October, 2010
@mastermind
+100000)....

Lets Jus work the Art of The Craft: "being a good SOLID DJ" & IF YOU Choose to dabble in electro, mash or dub then B my guest. But @ least this way, when it fades you wont B known for some BS or Wackism....
dj_soo 7:27 AM - 18 October, 2010
except that there are plenty of DJs out there making a ton of cash and touring the world being DJs in specific genres and styles (most are also producers mind you).

Some people just choose to identify with a specific scene and have a passion for the music whether it's new or old. Why worry so much what other djs are doing?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:03 PM - 18 October, 2010
Quote:
there are tons of good remixes - but way more terrible ones.

the same can be said about anything tho - even "original" music.

I dont think remixes as a whole need to die out because there ARE good remixes, what needs to die out are the forced remixes, the remixes that shouldnt exist that someone did just to be able to turn in homework to a remix site to cash a check. If people went back to really creating good music to remix with it wouldnt be so bad. Its just become to easy to just throw stuff together and to many people are doin it.

Quote:
i feel bad for you if you introduce yourself as the trendy music at the time.

example;

I'm an electro dj
i'm a mash up dj
i'm a dub step dj

what happens when that gets old? you get old with it and now you have to jump on the next trend and seem like a wack ass sale out!!!!!!!!!

Well it depends on what you do, if your spin dubstep because you acutually love dubstep and not because its the "it" music of the time then there shouldnt be a problem because there will always be people into these genres even after there not popular anymore. I think the bigger problem here is DJs playing this music and titling themselves just because its the in thing to do.
"The Original" djGROOVE 3:20 PM - 18 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I dont think remixes as a whole need to die out because there ARE good remixes, what needs to die out are the forced remixes, the remixes that shouldnt exist that someone did just to be able to turn in homework to a remix site to cash a check. If people went back to really creating good music to remix with it wouldnt be so bad. Its just become to easy to just throw stuff together and to many people are doin it.

I think the bigger problem here is DJs playing this music and titling themselves just because its the in thing to do.

+1000..... The biggest thing we can do is create some of our own RMXs that We Kno OUR particular crowds like. Then its yours & its tasteful to YOUR standards. I kno sometimes ppl will ask for certain RMXs they have heard via radio/mixtape, and I think thats were we struggle cuz alot of it IS Trash.... It seems like the RMX is goin the way of Hip-Hop = Being Massed Produced 4Da Buck
"The Original" djGROOVE 3:33 PM - 18 October, 2010
Quote:
except that there are plenty of DJs out there making a ton of cash and touring the world being DJs in specific genres and styles (most are also producers mind you).

Some people just choose to identify with a specific scene and have a passion for the music whether it's new or old. Why worry so much what other djs are doing?

Makes alot of sence.... Word
DouggyFresh 7:36 AM - 19 October, 2010
I'm not against songs that have an instrumental intro (original intro).. as long as you're not one of those DJs that plays the entire song ALL the way to the end (that's a 4 year old song) and then when the music stops, and the outtro beat starts, you press play and do your clever 16 or 32 beat on beat drum only mix....
Jensen Määäm 7:50 AM - 19 October, 2010
Quote:
I'm not against songs that have an instrumental intro (original intro).. as long as you're not one of those DJs that plays the entire song ALL the way to the end (that's a 4 year old song) and then when the music stops, and the outtro beat starts, you press play and do your clever 16 or 32 beat on beat drum only mix....

Right, that is a no go mixing!
DJ DennisJ 8:15 AM - 19 October, 2010
I agree. So much, in fact, that even when I have found the need to make an edit to give a track an intro, I don't bother with an outro since I never get to it anyway.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:40 PM - 19 October, 2010
Quote:
I agree. So much, in fact, that even when I have found the need to make an edit to give a track an intro, I don't bother with an outro since I never get to it anyway.

Ill use the outro of some tracks, not for pure mixing, if i need to make an announcment about an even or lost phone or an add drop ill use the intro\outro mix to put in my mic time. Also on a few of my concept mixtapes that is good space for TV\concept drops
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:39 AM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Ill use the outro of some tracks, not for pure mixing, if i need to make an announcment about an even or lost phone or an add drop ill use the intro\outro mix to put in my mic time. Also on a few of my concept mixtapes that is good space for TV\concept drops

I use the instrumental (IF I got it) or use the LOOP effect at a point where just the beat drops for MIC Rap... That way, It seems I don't stress if i might b runnin outta time.
DJ FEMMIE 5:44 AM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

It's not really that there's anything wrong with remixes, we just don't need 50 of them for every song. I'm tired of logging in to Dj City and seeing some jackasses daily installment of "Like A G6".

If these assholes spent half as much time creating new music as they do trying to be one of the crowd with their version of something that's been done 30 times over, there might actually be a little more good music out there.

I put my remixes on Soundcloud and they just sat there I did a remix album and it did okay but when I started moving my remixes to REVERBNATION my mixes took off and I moved quickly up in my fan base even the original artists loved my remixes I am #3 in the dj category in my area 19 nationally I think it is about your feeling your flow check them out reverbnation.com/djfemmie I just wanna get paid now
DJ FEMMIE 5:46 AM - 20 October, 2010
I love remixing and I think music is a feeling - I hate electro love house and I think people listening like new ideas and a fresh approach. I let some of my dj friends listen to my remixes and they just hated - I went with my heart and my remixes help me live up to my name djfemmie remix queen. If a remix feels good to you and people like it then oh well
Dj_KaGeN 7:19 AM - 20 October, 2010
A while ago, i would have done a +1 to this topic.. but after a full year of being hammered with them, I have simply adapted. Trends in music are going to happen, the remix and mashups and and this or that is just the current rails that this derailed industry has decided to run along. So many people trying to hedge the bets of getting a piece of fame by making some tune better, or making edit/remixes... since the talent aspect of the industry is no longer a standard, obvious with dj with tits showing and celebrity hacks.

i currently spin a full set of them, i keep it high energy, moving from track to track quickly, sort of like a techno [real shit, not the lame use of the word] house experience, but, it's with commercial radio play crapola that people recognize.. I have developed an ear for it, and thus i have a crowd that is now very receptive of it.

so bring them on...... many record pools are feeding me in great spoonfuls, where i used to dig hard over a year ago in places overseas.
DJ DennisJ 7:32 AM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:

I use the instrumental (IF I got it) or use the LOOP effect at a point where just the beat drops for MIC Rap... That way, It seems I don't stress if i might b runnin outta time.

Yep, I auto-create loops a lot when I find that I need a good instrumental spot, like for announcements or to do a quick pella blend.
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:22 PM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:
I love remixing and I think music is a feeling - I hate electro love house and I think people listening like new ideas and a fresh approach. I let some of my dj friends listen to my remixes and they just hated - I went with my heart and my remixes help me live up to my name djfemmie remix queen. If a remix feels good to you and people like it then oh well

More Power 2Ya Fellow Aquarian... Do it till da wheels fall off :-)
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:25 PM - 20 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, I auto-create loops a lot when I find that I need a good instrumental spot, like for announcements or to do a quick pella blend.

+100
Joshua Carl 10:09 PM - 20 October, 2010
its like anything in the creative arts.

theres grades of quality (that us) that we decide where it lays.

the difference is, even 10 years ago it wasnt so simple to get your work right
to djs...and it wasnt so easy to get your hands on workable content.

now everyone has some kinda program, everyone's on the internet.
so yes, we DEF have a huge influx of consumer grade crap!!!
but we certainly had crap before...
those of us that were in pools probably remember all the crap 12" promos we
used to get... NO ONE ever played them, but the labels wanted feedback from spins.

are you serious... complete gargbage, i cant play this shit.

and at the end of the day, everyone does NOT HAVE TASTE.
who does, who doesent.... thats debatable.
but to be able to hear a track, and know instantly if it works for your floor.
this is something thats developed with spinning out, and shopping (digging)

now you have guys/girls who have never spun out, have never had to shop for a
weeks worth of gigs... and now they are making music for a crowd they've never
been in front of?

some djs make amazing producers... they know what works, they have seen what people react to.... some, not so much, they might make a technically sound production... but who does it speak to other than other DJs, and producers.
now, not every record has to be "for the club"...but, if your gonna remix tracks
for club play you need to understand the psychology of the dancefloor and such.
and I dont think alot of these young remixers are.

with the bridge coming expect A BILLION more re-drums/remixes to hit!
Thats really all I have seen to date from the masses who are fussing with it.
redrums, and sampling..
so I wouldnt go as far as calling it a remix... but an edit.

Im a big fan of staying withing the bpm safe zone when it comes to proper remixes.
unless its a catchy bmore/fidget style taking a song thats 85bpms, pitching it
to 130 and throwing ghosts & stuff behind it is not a remix.... as much as you want it to be...
I saved a few of these, becuase a few...and its a very few, WORK, on a cheeky level.
but like its been said so many times in theis very thread, there are proper quality remixers out there... leave it to them.
dont release your shit if its not top shelf...
an impromptu blend of an over pitched track isnt doing anyone any good, and its really not helping youi establish yourself as a quality producer people look to for products
Jensen Määäm 10:16 PM - 20 October, 2010
Well said, Joshua, you hit it on point!
+ 1000 000
Audio1 3:28 AM - 21 October, 2010
Everything Joshua Carl said... Its one of the reasons why I stopped releasing mashups and remixes to Crack4DJs and Strictly Hits. I didnt want to continue contributing more garbage to the pile that is already out there. I pretty much make personal edits for myself and friends of mine... Other than that, I get mashups and remixes from all sorts of people. These days, You have to be real selective, esp. if you want to sound original.
Audio1 3:30 AM - 21 October, 2010
It is true. In general, There are way too many remixes out there. Its gotten to overkill status... If you play top 40 or pop, Most people are not going to recognize house/electro/dutch/uptempo remixes at all... Going Dutch on a crowd might make you feel like your rocking shit but if your crowd isnt open minded or doesnt know the song, They will go to the next venue.
DJ DennisJ 3:31 AM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Everything Joshua Carl said... Its one of the reasons why I stopped releasing mashups and remixes to Crack4DJs and Strictly Hits. I didnt want to continue contributing more garbage to the pile that is already out there. I pretty much make personal edits for myself and friends of mine... Other than that, I get mashups and remixes from all sorts of people. These days, You have to be real selective, esp. if you want to sound original.

Ironically you're one of the few ppl whose remixes I think are quality. So to hear you say that... well that tells you the state of affairs.
Audio1 3:38 AM - 21 October, 2010
Just being honest with myself really. I still make plenty of my own personal remixes, mashups and custom edits, I just dont put them out. Honestly, The other day I realized that I had 82 "Like A G6" remixes/edits on my laptop. I told myself, "82?" I broke it down to 6 that are necessary to play. Everyone does the same shit... 1/2 of the stuff out there is just terrible and off key. That's the downside to technology. Everyone is a remixer now. LOL
thewevel 3:42 AM - 21 October, 2010
haha does this mean you're going to lay off making moombahton remixes? ...i kid, i kid.
Audio1 3:44 AM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
haha does this mean you're going to lay off making moombahton remixes? ...i kid, i kid.
Those go straight to Soundcloud, Free of charge.
thewevel 3:52 AM - 21 October, 2010
i really want to try them out sometime but i don't know how well they'll go over on the ATL crowd.

ps: thanks for your work on the "mixable edits" thread over at holler
Audio1 4:04 AM - 21 October, 2010
No worries. Those will continue...
dj_soo 9:14 AM - 21 October, 2010
like audio1 said - the biggest problem i have is people are just remixing the same shit over and over again. Either that or people are just remixing or heavily sampling the same hits from the past.

There's undoubtedly a lot a talented producers out there, but I wish people would actually start making their own music nowadays (or at least dig and find interesting samples and tunes to remix) instead of just remixing the big tune of the moment 200 times.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:58 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

There's undoubtedly a lot a talented producers out there, but I wish people would actually start making their own music nowadays (or at least dig and find interesting samples and tunes to remix) instead of just remixing the big tune of the moment 200 times.

exactly whats insane is half the time ill see 40 remixes of a track before i even get the original track, its nuts. Thats what i miss about the Fl breaks scene, they would remix a song but it would be an entire original production not just a canned drum loop and 5 minutes of someone slamming their head against a midi keyboard and having it quanitized in ableton
Audio1 3:35 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
like audio1 said - the biggest problem i have is people are just remixing the same shit over and over again. Either that or people are just remixing or heavily sampling the same hits from the past.

I get so many mashups and remixes daily in my inbox, its gotten pretty ridiculous. Some folks should give their track selections and harmonics a second thought.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

...but, if your gonna remix tracks

exaclty, ive seen things like transitions where the transition occurs 6 words into the 1st verse, anyone in the club enviroment should know that if you drop the new hot song of the moment and you mix out 6 words into the 1st verse people will get pissed....even with quick mixing youll let em get a verse or a chorus...im mean literally 6 words of the song, just because the wordplays there dosent make it necessary for a remix\transition
Audio1 3:58 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

...but, if your gonna remix tracks

exaclty, ive seen things like transitions where the transition occurs 6 words into the 1st verse, anyone in the club enviroment should know that if you drop the new hot song of the moment and you mix out 6 words into the 1st verse people will get pissed....even with quick mixing youll let em get a verse or a chorus...im mean literally 6 words of the song, just because the wordplays there dosent make it necessary for a remix\transition
^^ This is true. A mix everyone seems to do is Usher/Jay-Z "Hot Tottie" into Drake/Swizzy "Fancy"... Depending on the night, I will probably play Jay-Z's verse, since its the hottest, play the hook, then bring in that part where Usher says "yeah, you fancy, huh", then loop and drop the bass, as I bring in the intro to Drake's Fancy.

Some dudes just scratch into that wordplay part and don't give people enough time to process or enjoy it. Quick Mixing can be a problem at time. Save that for peak hour when everyone is hella faded.
Steve Dub. 4:30 PM - 21 October, 2010
I haven't read any of the thread but to the original poster. It's simple. DON'T PLAY THEM. lol
DJ DennisJ 4:32 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

No offense, Bez, but you just illustrated my original point exactly. Here you are complaining about something like that transition instead of doing what us old dogs did/do-- Take what you have and figure out how to use it the way you want. I have a few transitions that do just that, switch the song right after they start. They're tools to mix over using the original song. So play the orig, then IF you decide you want to transition, slice/mix into the transition track you have at the right place, and wahlah! you just transitioned to your other song. But if you don't decide to transition, keep playing the original. I think they are good tools for that.
New schoolers will go 'huh that doesn't work for me, I have to remix it' and cut/paste in some software app until they have a transition that they can play from start to finish. It really takes away all the art/skill that true DJs always appreciated in the first place, and in the end, all you really have is a DJ playing a long mix they made but broken into segments so that they have something to do with their hands and don't look like they precreated a long mix.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:35 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

No offense, Bez, but you just illustrated my original point exactly. Here you are complaining about something like that transition instead of doing what us old dogs did/do-- Take what you have and figure out how to use it the way you want. I have a few transitions that do just that, switch the song right after they start. They're tools to mix over using the original song. So play the orig, then IF you decide you want to transition, slice/mix into the transition track you have at the right place, and wahlah! you just transitioned to your other song. But if you don't decide to transition, keep playing the original. I think they are good tools for that.

How do you play the original then use the transition of the transition track when the transition is in the middle of a sentence 6 words in the the 1st verse?? You would have to play PAST the point of the transition THEN REPLAY the verse to getthe transition to work right, im not playing a verse 2 times to get a shitty word play transition
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 21 October, 2010
www.crooklynclan.net

for example this transition is one of the 6000 OMG to Dynamite transitions that pop up in crooklyn clan when you search, 1st off there dosent NEED to be this many mixes of the same concept, 2nd its not a hard transition to do WITHOUT out a premade track so just the existance of these tracks waters down the game 3rd, the transition occurs in the 1st quarter of the 1st verse so if you play it as is the crowd gets NO hook which is what most want from the song, secondly you cant just play through the original because you would have to play the 1st verse, then play it AGAIN to get the transition, you could mabye start with the hook or a 2nd or 3rd verse then go back to the beginnig but i think that would be pointless and confusing to the crowd all JUST to be able to do a simple transition

Mabye this is useful to someone but it personally dosent go with my style of mixing. Personally i avoid transition tracks all together unlesss their jsut REALLY top knotch or necessary, like if im switching a huge bpm and genre to rotate out the floor
DJ DennisJ 4:45 PM - 21 October, 2010
if it is a shitty wordplay then I wouldn't either. If it is really good though, yeah, I'll slice back after two choruses and use it. It works. An example would be the transition of Bedrock in to any MJ song. When Weezy says 'Michael Jackson bad' it is towards the beginning, but sometimes you want that song to play for a bit so that the chicks can sing the Nicki part, so I'll play the orig, then slice back for the MJ trans. It's a damn good transition so it works. No complaints ever. A year ago if I played the original trans, I'd probably get complaints because like you said, nobody likes to hear a few verses and then a transition.
DJ DennisJ 4:56 PM - 21 October, 2010
I hear ya with that OMG trans. It is easy enough to do without using a premade track, and far more impressive to hear. I also avoid most transition tracks, because they take 32 bars to transition over and the crowd is left confused. But, that one isn't bad and transitions fairly quickly. Scratch in that first verse after two choruses and it would work.
However, Dynamite is a song that has a great starting verse that gives guests excitement and anticipation for the chorus so I would probably do it live but drop in at the verse not the chorus.
Audio1 4:59 PM - 21 October, 2010
I am a fan of 128-128 transitions. hahahhahahahahahahahha
DJ DennisJ 5:10 PM - 21 October, 2010
OMG dynamite is 128-120 :)
DJ DennisJ 5:11 PM - 21 October, 2010
er 130-120. My bad. I think 128-128 is a segue/segway?
dj_soo 7:15 PM - 21 October, 2010
this is another thing that's fucked with the game - a lot of these kids don't know how to actually do any mixes that require event the least amount of thought or skill - they just make (or even worse) download edits cause they can't think beyond dropping things on the 1 and mixing an intro for 8 bars.

Quote:
I get so many mashups and remixes daily in my inbox, its gotten pretty ridiculous. Some folks should give their track selections and harmonics a second thought.

this - there's always been tone deaf DJs that can't hear a key clash to save their lives, but it's just absolutely ridiculous nowadays with idiots posting their key-clashing, out of time, shitty mashups with no quality control out there...
DouggyFresh 7:35 PM - 21 October, 2010
The problem is with transitions right now is people think playing 6 words of a hot song is a bad thing. In 4 months that's all you're going to be playing of it anyways... Reminds me of so many older songs that went from a whole song to just a verse chorus to just a hook...

As DJs we forget sometimes that we get music so early in the process that right now a transition mix may not be appropriate now, but later on it becomes useful.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
The problem is with transitions right now is people think playing 6 words of a hot song is a bad thing. In 4 months that's all you're going to be playing of it anyways... Reminds me of so many older songs that went from a whole song to just a verse chorus to just a hook...

As DJs we forget sometimes that we get music so early in the process that right now a transition mix may not be appropriate now, but later on it becomes useful.

+1, thats the take ive developed on all remixs and transitions in my market, when the songs hot and recognisable rock the original, only use all the confetti versions to keep it in rotation after its gotten stale to john Q public
DJ NoNseNse 8:43 PM - 21 October, 2010
I mainly play remixes if the original isn't danceable or if the original is old or played out.
Dj Shamann 9:16 PM - 21 October, 2010
Who the fuck can't mix OMG into Dynamite? Are you guys serious?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:23 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

thats the point!! lol to many pointless remixs
Joshua Carl 9:27 PM - 21 October, 2010
a transition within 10 bpms of the 2nd track, isnt a transtion.
its a short-cut, a cheat, a lazy move..
unless its some over the top word play, or extensive production that could
in no way be replacated by an accomplished dj using dvs software.

just like dropping a track into ableton, adding some percussion, maybe a looped
synth and an intro & outro is NOT a remix.
its an edit...
90% of what were on about here are ACTUALLY EDITS.

someone touched on it breifly, a remix is a almost completely original reconstruction built from that parts of the original... accapella, chords, loops,
artists used to even send out remixer kits, that would have all that stuff.
theres a HUGE difference between what wideboys, djdan, jumpsmokers do
and what a massive amount of whats floating around on "remix services" in fact
edits... some more intense than others, but at the end of the day they are mostly
NOT REMIXES...

and thats why alot of us are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of them
Dj Shamann 9:28 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

thats the point!! lol to many pointless remixs

That's what i said well early into the thread, I clearly don't have problems with remixes, I've been doing100% remix tapes since the 90's, all my own but still, I also like certain other remix artists that you will usually find in my sets but I used G6 as an example and sure enough Audio ! says he had 82 of them! LOL. Tht`s bad enough but fucking transitions for two songs that are relatively close to each others BPM range, this whole Dj shit has gotten way too gay. (I don`t mean that in reference to sexuality, but in a 6th grade schoolyard way)
Steve Dub. 9:36 PM - 21 October, 2010
Fuck you guys! I can deal with a few more thousand Americano edits.
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:36 AM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
...someone touched on it breifly, a remix is a almost completely original reconstruction built from that parts of the original...

I think this is what you mean...This IS A REMIX
Watchwww.youtube.com

I usually mix it w/Just Fine (Original), Planet Rock, Push It, Egyptian Lover AND sometime when I want to TRANSITION from New School-to-Old School. I actually do it live w/the right Old School Crowd & they go NUTS....
Joshua Carl 5:35 AM - 22 October, 2010
I personally would lean to that being a re-drum/blend. (thats how Id
would class that in my crate)
its two already existing tracks re-fashioned in time/mixed.

this is a great example of an ACTUAL remix, and a classic at that.

Original: Watchwww.youtube.com
Remix: Watchwww.youtube.com

and on the hiphop side:
Watchwww.youtube.com
and of course the Remix
Watchwww.youtube.com
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:03 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
I personally would lean to that being a re-drum/blend. (thats how Id
would class that in my crate)
its two already existing tracks re-fashioned in time/mixed.

this is a great example of an ACTUAL remix, and a classic at that.

Original: Watchwww.youtube.com
Remix: Watchwww.youtube.com

and on the hiphop side:
Watchwww.youtube.com
and of course the Remix
Watchwww.youtube.com

I feel U on the classixx and no doubt ur examples are TRUE. To add, the only reason I wouldn't classify my RMX as a re-drum is bcuz as you stated IT IS MIXED to change the actual flow of one original by utilizing another HOT Original (In my mix Actually three originals) to create another vibe in that particular genre. This is also what was done in ur example w/Biggie = "Original Beats or Lyrics MIXED w/another Original Beat LOOP" alltogehter to create a Diff vibe of the song. This skill of REMIXING is ACTUALLY where ALL ORIGINAL CLASSIC HIP-HOP Originated (Rakim, Biggie, 2Pac, etc...)

Finally, IMO a re-drum is a beat SUPERIMPOSED or OVERDUBBED Over the original, usually the SAME beat just enhanced or made louder or sped-up/slowed down or all-the-above & then adding some bells & whistles to make something that sounds like a HYPED Up version of the original = A lot of the Bmore House does this.
DJ Nick Lee 4:23 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Anyone else just getting tired of all these lame djs? There's one decent mixer for every 50 of them.

So true.
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:49 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone else just getting tired of all these lame djs? There's one decent mixer for every 50 of them.

So true.

+1000
DJ DennisJ 7:05 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So true.

+1000

Yet the other 49 are being told their remix/redrum/blend is the best ever so they get swelled heads and keep making them.
"The Original" djGROOVE 7:11 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So true.

+1000

Yet the other 49 are being told their remix/redrum/blend is the best ever so they get swelled heads and keep making them.

+1000 4 SURE... Thats why I think we as DJs are prbly better off makin our own that we kno will work w/the venues or crowds we play for AND only using the one's that are popular (In the moment) when someone requests it. At least, Thats what I try to do already....... Plus I'll announce that this is "KATHY's or BILLY's song (LOL) too.
Audio1 12:03 AM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
Fuck you guys! I can deal with a few more thousand Americano edits.
hahahhahaha
Jensen Määäm 12:19 AM - 23 October, 2010
Yeah, we no speak no english / german /french / spanish / italian / portuguese / russian / japanese / chinese / suaheli /norvegian / danish / swedish / polish / hungarian / afrikaans / ...
Joshua Carl 1:15 AM - 23 October, 2010
..and wookie
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:46 AM - 23 October, 2010
ok...holy shit i should have left my pride at the door and joined a frat when i was in college lool
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:02 AM - 23 October, 2010
ok they been here like 30 minutes ive had 3 ask for my number and im booked for 2 more partys LMFAO
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:07 AM - 23 October, 2010
one just bought me a drink lol
mastermind 2:07 AM - 23 October, 2010
is this you bezzle?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:23 AM - 23 October, 2010
so far 0 requests and theyve filled the floor to EVERYTHING....shit happens
Maskrider 10:04 AM - 23 October, 2010
Quote:
this thread is full of nonsense.

+1 you can't stop Djs doing remixes
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:20 PM - 23 October, 2010