DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need help with Motown!

cnewton 10:40 PM - 6 October, 2010
Been asked to do a gig for a friend and they have said they want loads of motown.

i dont pretend to know everything about music. (im a top40 dj..sorry) and im really bad with motown.. (not sure why... i just am) can anyone help with some suggestions please.

please understand that i am only asking for help, im not trying to steal anyones setlist and i dont want to come across as being lazy...

im just asking for some suggestions for motwon... however, all i need is the absolute commercial motown, no underground songs that only 10 people in the world have heard... just the basics please.

feel free to discredit me as a dj for not having the ultimate motown knowledge... sorry to anyone iv offended ;)

thanks in advance for any suggestions you may share.
ninos 12:22 AM - 7 October, 2010
you should not have booked the gig if you dont know/have what music to play.
SuckaDJ 1:02 AM - 7 October, 2010
chill lil nin'yos, unless he is in your town, takin a possible gig of yours gig. just help the guy out. we family here. he's not even on the same continent as us! :P

sorry can't help ya in this department but good luck!
Dj Mike P. 1:15 AM - 7 October, 2010
there is a compilation called ultimate motown or something.
djlj 1:43 AM - 7 October, 2010
I really should tell you to Google this or just go get a compilation but... Motown is dear to me. So here ya go.

Anything from the following artists:

Diana Ross and the Supremes
Four Tops
Jackson 5
Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
Marvin Gaye (and Tammi Terrell)
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Temptations
Stevie Wonder

You may want to stick to selections from 1972 and earlier if they want an old school Motown vibe.

Here are some other particular tracks

Mary Wells - My Guy
Spinners - It's A Shame (The rest of their hits were on Atlantic)
Jr. Walker And The Allstars - Shotgun
Contours - Do You Love Me

You should have more than enough here to make it through an evening. If they want the "Motown Era" and are open to other songs from that era that aren't on the Motown label, then you can add other tracks such as the Spinners post-Motown hits, Aretha Franklin, etc.

Good luck with your gig, tell me how it went.
djlj 1:46 AM - 7 October, 2010
btw I don't think anyone would try to discredit you for not being up on Motown if you're younger and that's not what you spin. I highly recommend you pick up some "Best Of" compilations of the artists I gave you there. Motown is great music. :)

And there really was no "underground" Motown. There's a reason the headquarters was called "Hitsville U.S.A." :) That said, some tracks performed better than others. But if you pick up those compilations you'll be in good shape.
ninos 1:50 AM - 7 October, 2010
yea, wasnt trying to sound like a dick. but its the truth!
djlj 1:52 AM - 7 October, 2010
I agree with you to a degree ninos, but I've learned soooooooooo much about music over my years DJing by taking gigs that weren't in my wheel house. I'd commit myself to learning as much as I could about the music, the history, the artists, the structures, and how people interacted with the songs. I'm the least likely country DJ of all time but I can still rock a country party if I have to. YEE HAW!!!
DJ Jonasty 2:11 AM - 7 October, 2010
Don't forget your Sam Cooke and even throw some Elvis in there...ie Jail house rock etc, it works. I takes gigs if I don't have the music/knowledge. It is a challenge to me to learn about a new genre and then rock the spot with it. This only isn't possible if you are lazy. You can at least just get the most popular songs and build on that. Build deeper with the more motown gigs you get etc. Good luck
djlj 2:18 AM - 7 October, 2010
Neither Sam Cooke nor Elvis were Motown artists.
djlj 2:18 AM - 7 October, 2010
And neither of them were from Detroit, so you don't have that connection either. :)
ZESH! 2:32 AM - 7 October, 2010
Franchise record pool has LOTS of Mowtown. You should go to a music store or Walmart and buy yourself a box set. Plenty of it out there, EASY to spin that stuff too.
gotchuckz 4:19 AM - 7 October, 2010
gotchuckz 4:20 AM - 7 October, 2010
^ over 150 classics and you can preview it.
jevo9 4:20 AM - 7 October, 2010
We should all help each other out if we can't. He clearly said it's for a friend. Some of you should relax :)
djlj 4:22 AM - 7 October, 2010
That Time-Life box set would be awesome.
studio17 10:42 AM - 7 October, 2010
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 AM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
you should not have booked the gig if you dont know/have what music to play.

****BLANK STARE*****
cnewton 1:43 PM - 7 October, 2010
Thanks alot guys! ill start working through the suggestions!

i avoid gigs where i dont think i can do a good job, but this is an exception because its a family friend, and the first thing i said was "im rubbish with motown." but he still wants me to dj, so thought id get some help to make his night the best it can be.

again thanks so much for all the help so far.

ps, i find it really hard to disguise the parameters of the genre. seems its a very broad sound...
djlj 2:20 PM - 7 October, 2010
Quote:
ps, i find it really hard to disguise the parameters of the genre. seems its a very broad sound...

If you keep it to just Motown label tracks in the time period I gave in my first post, about 80% of the songs will all have the same groove. For a quick synopsis of the Motown Sound, check out the following:

en.wikipedia.org
philldafunk 11:24 PM - 7 October, 2010
Some songs off the top of my dome:

Temptations: My Girl, Just my imagination (Epic)
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terell: Ain't No Mountain
Diana Ross & The Supremes: Stop in the name of love, Someday we'll be together
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: Tears from a clown (I always liked that tune)
Smokey Robinson: Quiet Storm (another epic win)

This is coming from a 24 yr old lol....

Also does all the music have to come from the Motown label specifically? I mean there were a TON of other acts who weren't down with Motown. ie. Delfonics, Chi-lites just to name a couple.

Peace
DJ Dac 11:29 PM - 7 October, 2010
isnt ninos only 14 years old?, shiiiiitt, i have been djing for that long, or wait is it 12yrs? ehh cant remember anymore...
ninos 11:56 PM - 7 October, 2010
14, 15 in 5 days :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:25 AM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:

AWW SHUCKS!!!!

Somebody break out the CARBONATED drinks!

No more JUICE BOXES!
djlj 2:16 AM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Also does all the music have to come from the Motown label specifically? I mean there were a TON of other acts who weren't down with Motown. ie. Delfonics, Chi-lites just to name a couple.

Peace

I'm all about the Philly soul too. :) OP said it was a Motown party so I came from that angle. (nh)
philldafunk 2:30 AM - 8 October, 2010
I'm super jealous of homeboy, I wish I could get a gig like that around here! That would be sooo fat.

I had a 70's themed party I did for my friends fathers bday last month. It was more like I was there to dj while they rapped (father wanted to show off his son), but they wound up asking me to get on and do a set after their performance. Initially I was all shook, because I didn't put anything together, but I conquered that ass. Jammed out uber hard, all off the top of my head, luckily I had the music. Whew

peace
DJ Alkemy 6:49 AM - 8 October, 2010
I bet the people who said they wanted Motown didn't actually mean it as keeping specific to the actual Motown label. Unless they are deep deep music lovers then they probably just meant soul music from that era.
djlj 6:54 AM - 8 October, 2010
You're probably right, DJ Alkemy. But I've learned through the years to give the clients what they asked for first, and then be ready to change once they tell you what they really want. :)
DJ Alkemy 7:17 AM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
You're probably right, DJ Alkemy. But I've learned through the years to give the clients what they asked for first, and then be ready to change once they tell you what they really want. :)

Oh no doubt, make sure you have a ton of Motown label stuff newton and then drop a few non Motown label tracks in and see their reaction (would be funny if they got uppity and started chanting f*** Atlantic lol). Its funny, when Im doing an old school set, you get people saying "can you play some Motown?" and then go on to list artists from the Stax, Atlantic & Hi Records labels. I suppose Motown is a genre in its own right but people have their lines blurred when referring to it.
skinnyguy 10:07 PM - 8 October, 2010
wow. that's a great lookin Time-Life set. for $99, cheap investment to get you thru that gig.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:17 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
I bet the people who said they wanted Motown didn't actually mean it as keeping specific to the actual Motown label. Unless they are deep deep music lovers then they probably just meant soul music from that era.

LOL exactly, i dont think people have a clue what their talkin about now adays, we had a "motown" band comming in every other weekend before i played and they had live instraments and outfits that looked motownish but they were singin stanky leg and shit.......singin stanky leg live with instrments does NOT make you a motown band
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:18 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
I'm super jealous of homeboy, I wish I could get a gig like that around here! That would be sooo fat.

I had a 70's themed party I did for my friends fathers bday last month. It was more like I was there to dj while they rapped (father wanted to show off his son), but they wound up asking me to get on and do a set after their performance. Initially I was all shook, because I didn't put anything together, but I conquered that ass. Jammed out uber hard, all off the top of my head, luckily I had the music. Whew

peace

did the same thing with a 30 year class reuninon......showed up straight SHOOK cause i didnt have a clue about the genre...ended up rockin that bitch, shit was mad fun to
djchrischip 10:37 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

AWW SHUCKS!!!!

Somebody break out the CARBONATED drinks!

No more JUICE BOXES!

hahaha yes!!
Dj Shamann 1:04 AM - 9 October, 2010
Quote:
Don't forget your Sam Cooke and even throw some Elvis in there...ie Jail house rock etc

Play Jailhouse Rock in front of a Motown crowd and they're going to think you're an idiot. That's not even close to the Motown sound, Stax you can get away with and similar era spin off type of stuff, but jailhouse Rock? Jee-zuss.
djlj 4:50 AM - 15 October, 2010
@cnewton - How did the gig go?
Banana_Peter 5:14 AM - 15 October, 2010
go to youtube and search Motown and watch/listen to some of the videos to get some ideas. I did that with Lil Jon & Pitbull and now I have enough music to book for the rest of the year
Banana_Peter 5:14 AM - 15 October, 2010
oh the gig ended?
DJ DennisJ 5:35 AM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:

Peace

Echoing my thoughts exactly. I find that those that want 'motown' respond well to late 70s early 80s funk. Especially if you're trying to keep to the popular stuff that makes ppl dance. Hit em with stuff like Hot Chocolate, Zapp, and Commodores.
djlj 1:18 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Peace

Echoing my thoughts exactly. I find that those that want 'motown' respond well to late 70s early 80s funk. Especially if you're trying to keep to the popular stuff that makes ppl dance. Hit em with stuff like Hot Chocolate, Zapp, and Commodores.

Folks who have memories of stuff from the 50s and 60s recoil when they hear a synthsizer though. lol
Banana_Peter 1:19 PM - 15 October, 2010
SAM COOKE - HAVING A PARTY
DJ DennisJ 3:45 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:

Folks who have memories of stuff from the 50s and 60s recoil when they hear a synthsizer though. lol

True. I didn't know the ages of the guests.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:54 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:

IS NOT Motown.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:18 PM - 15 October, 2010

Good look on that. I gotta get some of these for myself!
Banana_Peter 5:35 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

IS NOT Motown.

I doubt Motown fans will complain about Sam Cooke. If they do, they shouldn't talk to me because we have nothing in common
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:19 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IS NOT Motown.

I doubt Motown fans will complain about Sam Cooke. If they do, they shouldn't talk to me because we have nothing in common

They wouldn't necessarily complain, but I was just pointing out the difference in Genre.

Sam Cooke is considered Soul / R&B / Gospel (in his early jawns).
O.B.1 5:20 PM - 16 October, 2010
Z-Trip has a nice little Motown mix that opened my eyes to some great music from years past...
cnewton 6:02 PM - 16 October, 2010
Quote:
@cnewton - How did the gig go?

the gigs not for a while, not got a confirmed date yet.

thanks again for all the suggestions. i am slowly going through them and geting a better idea of the genre.

i think ill try and get a better understanding of what he wants as i doubt he even realises what he said when he asked for motown.haha.