DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sync help request! Folders -> iTunes

kryptonitednb 3:27 PM - 2 October, 2010
Okay here's the deal. I download all my music on my pc to sort, tag, etc. I then transfer it to identical folders on my Mac located in my iTunes music folder.

I use iTunes to sync to Serato so I need all these new tunes to somehow automatically add to my iTunes library. How do I accomplish this without having to add individual folders, new tunes, etc? I
kryptonitednb 10:36 PM - 2 October, 2010
This can't be that hard (or can it??!)

I had this for PC

albumbrowser.klarita.net

I don't want to put all my current folders in my "automatically add to itunes" folder because I will have to relocate all my tunes and start over.
Dj Nyce 3:13 AM - 3 October, 2010
folder action scripts

i use a custom one. i'll upload it somewhere and post back. i organize my folders manually, so i don't itunes fuck that shit up. i attach the script as a folder action script and anytime i add music to the folder/subfolders, they get autmatically added to itunes.
kryptonitednb 12:51 PM - 3 October, 2010
Please!!! I have zero idea how to do them and thats what i need.
Dj Nyce 4:22 PM - 3 October, 2010
Folder Action Script
docs.google.com

place the file in /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts

in any folder you would music added to automatically get added to iTunes:
command-click>Folder Actions Setup
choose iTunes-Import.scpt
click attach
close folder actions setup window

now drag or copy/paste music to this folder. the music is added to itunes. and a notification window pops up letting you know how many were added.

Please note this script will only add music files and folders with music files. it will not add a folder with a subfolder of music. to get around this, you will need to attach the folder action script to as many sub-folders as you need.

example:
my music is in /djnyce/music/library
library has a folder action script
library/rap has a folder action script
library/rap/2010 has a folder action script

if i add music or folder of music to library they will get added
if i add music or folder of music to library/rap they will get added
if i add music or folder of music to library/rap/2010 they will get added

if i add folder/folder/folder of music to library, they will not get added

basically every time i add a new subfolder that will contain music or subfolders, i attach the folder action script. this can be automated, but i choose to do it manually.

i hope i didn't confuse you, i just wanted you to be aware of the limitations and workarounds.
kryptonitednb 4:51 PM - 3 October, 2010
This is great, thank you!! Any idea where I can find a resource on how to automate it? I have tons if subfolders. I may just start adding everything in main folders if it's too hard.