Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

needle drop latency?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
BassChamber 7:17 PM - 31 July, 2004
hi, i have a question, how many latency is normal to get when you perform a needle drop?

i am getting about 1 second of latency. i think this is too much... is this normal?

FS needle drop latency is just few miliseconds, that is, it has almost no latency, FS plays sound when the needle touch the vinyl, but SSL one second later.

please help!
Serato
Josh 9:11 PM - 1 August, 2004
That's defintely far too much. Have you calibrated correctly?
diego vega 8:25 AM - 2 August, 2004
I get a slight pause, but it's not near a second...
BassChamber 10:11 AM - 2 August, 2004
maybe i have not calibrated correctly my system... i will try it and let you know later.

by the way, the calibration circles appear too small, could this be related to the excesive needle drop latency?

thanks for the support :)
Stuart Ramdeen 10:13 AM - 2 August, 2004
have you used the zoom function to enlarge the circles? Do the circles appear too small even if zoomed all the way?

stu
Couin 10:33 AM - 2 August, 2004
Did you select Phono in Setup ? ;-)

Couin
BassChamber 8:01 PM - 2 August, 2004
oh dear, i forgot to select phono in setup...

now calibration circles are ok. thank you mates :)

btw, needle drop latency is still higher than FS. i assume this is normal... isnt it?

thanks again!
SpinThis! 10:25 PM - 2 August, 2004
what's your buffer set at?

i haven't used FS so I can't compare; however, I can compare SSL with regular vinyl and SSL is pretty instant.
BadCompany 10:30 PM - 2 August, 2004
BassChamber, What are the specs on your computer? are you running SL on an older machine?
Zion-Prayz 11:31 PM - 2 August, 2004
My needle drop latency is way better for me on SSL than FS. On SSL it's like using regular vinyl. On FS I always had a very noticeable delay. My thresholds are at -48 dB, my buffer is at 10 ms, and my circles are good.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:27 AM - 3 August, 2004
I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but note that -24 is higher than -72. So, the slider to the left = more sensitive.
One other thing to note is that needle dropping will be faster if the record is moving when you put the needle down - i.e. if you are holding the record still with one hand and dropping the needle with the other, and you put the needle down _then_ move the record it will take longer than if the needle hits the moving record.
BassChamber 11:04 AM - 3 August, 2004
i have installed SSL on other different pc and now... there is almost no latency!

this means that the problem is on my laptop, i will try changing windows configuration again.

btw, my laptop hard drive has FAT32 format. could this be the reason for the needle dropping latency?

again, thanks very much for your support, your are giving a lesson to stanton and native instruments.
SpinThis! 3:25 PM - 3 August, 2004
Quote:
btw, my laptop hard drive has FAT32 format

i'd doubt it; the format of the drive rarely makes a huge difference unless the file system is severely corrupted.
BadCompany 4:37 PM - 3 August, 2004
the speed of your computer will matter also...