DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

.ALS Mixtape Feature Workaround For Hamster Faders Not Reading Correctly

Dj Shamann 2:30 AM - 29 September, 2010
Okay so most of us who use Hamster style (reverse crossfader mode) and are exploring The Bridge have an obstacle as far as the .als mixtape feature is concerned. For some reason .als mode will not record our crossfader movements, Serato has acknowledged this and has said they will work on it for next release (thanks Serato). In the meantime there is a work around. Ableton has it's own crossfader set up which you can use to virtually flip the automation, although the automation actually stays the same so more acurately you're reonfiguring Ableton's CF to be hamster. Here's how you do it.

First make sure you are in session view. This is the one that shows your mixer, use TAB to toggle each view. Then, in your view settings, make sure In/Out is enabled (CTRL + Alt + I on PC = CMD + OPT + I on Mac)

i278.photobucket.com

At the bottom of your tracks you should see an A button and a B button. Normally PGM1 will be set to A and PGM2 will be set to B. Swap these, but in order to make it work you also have to have your PGM Pre's swapped as well, so PGM1/PGM1 Pre will now be set to B, and PGM2/PGM2 Pre set to A.

i278.photobucket.com

And that's it!

Now I've also recieved a couple of PM's after explaining this elsewhere from users who do not see the PGM Pre. To the right of each PGM you will see PGM 1 Pre and SP6 1 Pre (numbers corresponding to each main PGM) however if you don't see these columns it means your groups are folded. At the top of your track in the name column, you will see a little arrow, click that and it will unfold your groups.

i278.photobucket.com

Cheers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 8:16 PM - 29 September, 2010
Nice Shamann - glad to see that people are making The Bridge work for them. Worth a sticky, IMO.
Djalbundy 10:18 AM - 30 September, 2010
Very nice Shamann.
Dj Shamann 12:47 AM - 9 October, 2010
Thanks Eru, the whole idea of The Bridge is something many of us have dreamed about for years, I just want to make sure everyone else gets to have as much fun as even the seasoned vets who are basically rediscovering a whole new concept of production. It's amazing
skp 7:30 PM - 1 November, 2010
Thanx real helpfull
Djalbundy 2:59 PM - 9 March, 2011
Still nothing Better ?

Is it possible to automatise this switch ? I mix in regular style but scratch in hamster style... So in a live session i frequently swith my crossfader regulare/inversed. It seems that i can't reproduce this with your trick.

So i'am still not able to use the mixtape feature :/

Frustrating..
Dj Shamann 4:20 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hey Djalbundy, you can change the automation in Ableton to accommodate this. In your arrangement view you have drop downs in your track columns, I'm not in front of Ableton, but by default I think it will show "fades" (if not it may say "none") Click that drop down and select mixer, it will show you a new menu of selections, choose xfade assign. Now from here you will see a red line across each track, like the volume automation if you're familiar, if not when you hover your mouse over it, it will change blue, click it and it will leave a little node. You can also do this in what's called the automation lane (so as not to make any accidental adjustments to the clip) to the bottom right of that little drop down you will see a plus sign, click it and you will see a greyed out duplicate of the track with the same automation line.

To go back to normal, the automation lines on PGM1 should be pulled down to A, and for PGM2 pushed up to B.

I will assume that while Djing you switch in and out of hamster when your fader is dead center. To see the automation for this, look at the very bottom in the master track, when the fader is at a hard left or a hard right, it will say 50 A or 50 B. Choose a point where the fader says 0 to do your xfade auto switch.

Hope this helps.
Djalbundy 12:08 PM - 15 March, 2011
Thanks, it works. I am waiting the Serato improvment but for now i'll deal with that.

Thank you very much Shamann.

Peace
djgrits7 12:46 AM - 25 March, 2011
guys i can find the crossfader on ableton, but where's all the pgrm 1 prgm 2 pre, etc?? i see none of thatt!!!
Matterhorn 12:10 PM - 11 August, 2011
Has this been fixed yet?
DJ_Gonzo 5:43 PM - 11 August, 2012
Ack! So, this is the issue I've been dealing with...

In 2010, according to Shamann, Serato was working on a fix for this in release....well, we are two years later and we've not heard anything on this?

Serato, please chime in.
Matterhorn 3:31 PM - 12 August, 2012
Quote:
Ack! So, this is the issue I've been dealing with...

In 2010, according to Shamann, Serato was working on a fix for this in release....well, we are two years later and we've not heard anything on this?

Serato, please chime in.

Yes please....
SiRocket 10:48 PM - 19 August, 2012
and the 57 cross fader lag issue, and also the near impossible issues when trying to use the 61 or 62 for mixtape... the cross fader sometimes doesn't record complicated cuts... ridiculous....
Svesh 12:30 PM - 2 October, 2012
Ok I got a problem Im using Serato Sl.1 My mixer is VESTAX - PMC05Pro The thing is that when I record via the bridge in ASL file When I check my mix in Ableton it separates into Deck A and Deck B. Thats alright I read everything here but the problem is that I can hear my rewinding and everything like my crossfader is in the middle . There is no cuts at all. Ableton cannot recognise that I am using a cross (battle) fader... Thanks in advance
phatbob 1:39 PM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
Ok I got a problem Im using Serato Sl.1 My mixer is VESTAX - PMC05Pro The thing is that when I record via the bridge in ASL file When I check my mix in Ableton it separates into Deck A and Deck B. Thats alright I read everything here but the problem is that I can hear my rewinding and everything like my crossfader is in the middle . There is no cuts at all. Ableton cannot recognise that I am using a cross (battle) fader... Thanks in advance

To get mixtape to record your fader movements you must use a Rane 57, 61, 62 or 68 mixer.
DouggyFresh 9:56 PM - 28 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

To get mixtape to record your fader movements you must use a Rane 57, 61, 62 or 68 mixer.

I'm just reading this Bridge forum for the first time, but wouldn't there be a way in Ableton to have the MIDI from the mixer get saved directly into Ableton?
DJ Kutcorners 6:33 AM - 15 April, 2013
DouggyFresh,

The SL1 isn't a mixer though. Ableton/SSL (the bridge) records the fader movements on supported mixers only.
Code:E 6:27 PM - 15 April, 2013
Quote:
DouggyFresh,

The SL1 isn't a mixer though. Ableton/SSL (the bridge) records the fader movements on supported mixers only.

Which sucks thew big one
DJ Kutcorners 9:22 AM - 16 April, 2013
there was a thread somewhere on here where someone mapped a djm800 or something.. not sure how well it works though. seems kinda "hacky"
WarpNote 9:55 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
DouggyFresh,

Which sucks thew big one

You do realize that the bridge was made in order to sell more Ableton licenses and more Rane mixers, right?