Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Status message "Writing Tags" appears but my files are read-only

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 8:13 AM - 24 September, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Hi,

I've just started testing 2.1.1 (after 2.0) and when I play a read-only track in the stand-alone-player and switch with ctrl-left to another track the status message "Writing tags" appears ...

The message is confusing:

1) What does SLL updating when I only play the file?
2) All my audio files are read-only.

Please explain.

Thanks a lot.
djdannyd 2:30 PM - 24 September, 2010
If they are read only, i'm sure that when you analyzed the files it was pretty much a waste of time since no info was saved to the file. Now when you eject the file SSL tries to write the tag again.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:59 PM - 24 September, 2010
Are you using 2.1.0 or 2.1.1?

Does this only happen in offline mode?

Do you have "autofill overviews" checked in the set-up / library tab?
pueblofunky 4:41 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
Are you using 2.1.0 or 2.1.1?

2.1.1 - but I can remember that this message came prior 2.1.1.

Quote:
Does this only happen in offline mode?

No - also when I dj with both.

Quote:
Do you have "autofill overviews" checked in the set-up / library tab?

Not checked.

When I eject the track from the offline player - the message "Writing Tags: <file>" appears and after that (not always) "This track is read only" appears.

Protect library is NOT enabled - but also appears when enabled. No difference.

I'm only using WAV files - tagged with Tag & Rename, set to read-only, imported into SSL.

Updates don't happen but why tries SSL to update the file?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:01 PM - 24 September, 2010
Can you attach a couple of those files to this thread?

The tag writing popped up in 2.1.0 and cause some issues. It was fixed in 2.1.1 from what I have seen and tested. I'm suprised to hear this. It no longer happens on my files, but they are not read only. I'd like to test this with yours.
EngcolDJ 5:13 PM - 24 September, 2010
Still getting the Writing Tags issue with 2.1.1. Not had enough time with it to check circumstances yet but will report back... I originally had the problem with 2.1 but 2.0 is fine. I posted the issue in the original thread 'Tags in 2.1'

Let me know if I should be checking anything in particular. This happens in Offline and Online mode. Autofill overviews is checked. Tracks are NOT Read Only.
EngcolDJ 5:13 PM - 24 September, 2010
Mp3 & Mp4 files affected
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:24 PM - 24 September, 2010
EngcolDJ - please start a new thread and attach your files for me please.

In all cases makes sure the files have already been analyzed. If they still write tags after that, let us know.
djichi 3:25 AM - 25 September, 2010
The writing tags issue is definitely not resolved! I have just played for 6 hours using 2.1.1 and it was writing tags every 2nd to 3rd track. I rebuilt all my overviews last night with auto gain and it dropped that information too, so some tracks were really loud (I set my autogain to 89db). I have had this issue ever since I updated from 2.0 with the autogain and have rebuild overviews every few days! The only way for me to completely get rid of these issues is to go back to 1.9.2!
pueblofunky 6:42 AM - 25 September, 2010
Quote:
Can you attach a couple of those files to this thread?

Yes - will follow.

Quote:
It no longer happens on my files, but they are not read only. I'd like to test this with yours.

But what I don't understand is why you need my files:

The bug should be easy to find in the source because when I click EJECT a procedure will be called with a name like "writeTags". This shouldn't happen. Also this source code logic should be also to find in a "writeTags" or "IsFileWriteable" method:

If protectLibrary = true then
do-not-write
else
if file-is-read-only = true then
do-not-write
else
if any-file-tag-changes = true then
do-write (incl. setStatusLine "Writing tags: <file>")
else
do-not-write
end-if
end-if
end-if

It doesn't matter which type of file (wav, mp3, mp4, aiff, etc).

And the mysterious thing is - you shouldn't come into a code like above - because there is nothing to update because I only pressed EJECT.

Also my files are NOT analyzed. I don't allow this (files are read-only) because all my tags will be deleted by SSL which SSL does not "understand". I'm only tagging with Tag & Rename and I'm using more tags as SSL knows. (Maybe the logic has changed since 1.9.x - didn't test it).
EngcolDJ 10:29 AM - 25 September, 2010
Quote:
EngcolDJ - please start a new thread and attach your files for me please.

In all cases makes sure the files have already been analyzed. If they still write tags after that, let us know.

All files have been fully analysed.

Quote:
The writing tags issue is definitely not resolved! I have just played for 6 hours using 2.1.1 and it was writing tags every 2nd to 3rd track.

Same here. Works ok for me with 2.0 but anything 2.1 or later is causing the issues.
ninjagaijin 12:24 PM - 25 September, 2010
You gotta scan your overviews or serato WILL want to save it to your track.

Once you have scanned the overview, write the tags you want with your other program, lock read only, then see if issue persists.

I think it won't, and you'll find all the tags you use outside of serato will STILL be there.
pueblofunky 1:18 PM - 25 September, 2010
Quote:
You gotta scan your overviews or serato WILL want to save it to your track.

Your solution doesn't help because I have 12.000 WAV files with a lot of information which I can not delete.

And there is something wrong with the logic:

If the file is read-only - Serato should not try to write. That's it - simple AND easy to understand, or isn't it? ;-)

SSL should be able to scan my read-only file but I'm only interested in to get the BPM value which I manually update with Tag & Rename.
ninjagaijin 1:55 PM - 25 September, 2010
Does serato save your overviews or do you have to rescan every time you play? Or does serato use a database for wave files - I'm not sure if it writes the overview to the tag or to the database..
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:31 PM - 25 September, 2010
I don't understand why you have your files read only? How can serato save your overviews / bpms / cues / loops ect if they are read only? Serato needs to build the overview so it will try and do this all the time won't it??? But ya I guess if serato could see it was a read only file then it should ignor trying to write. Maybe you found a bug, I can't see many users at all Gavin read only files do that's why this bug if it is one may have gone unnoticed.

Cheers
pueblofunky 6:10 PM - 25 September, 2010
@LJ_WOOLSEY:

My files are read-only because I use the program Tag & Rename for tagging my WAV files which supports more fields. When Serato writes back the tags it only writes those back which it knows - all others will be deleted. This is a bug - however. I want to avoid this - that's why my files are read-only.

I also don't need the overviews, cues & loops.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:26 PM - 25 September, 2010
Quote:
@LJ_WOOLSEY:

My files are read-only because I use the program Tag & Rename for tagging my WAV files which supports more fields. When Serato writes back the tags it only writes those back which it knows - all others will be deleted. This is a bug - however. I want to avoid this - that's why my files are read-only.

I also don't need the overviews, cues & loops.

REALLY? iv never herd of serato Deleting tags that it does NOT use.

Well itis the intended behavour of serato to write the overviews ect.

have you tried just making a couple of your wav.s read and write then analyze in 2.1.1 then put it back to read only. Now has it deleted any of your info/tags?? also now when you play this in 2.1.1 does it still try to write the tag?

i understand you dont need the overviews but serato does thats why i say try to analyze.
i can see where your coming from... and i can see how serato wants it to work lol.
maybe on monday a serato mod can give you some more advice about how togo about all of this.
EngcolDJ 5:30 PM - 1 October, 2010
2.1.1 still writing tags as above.... reinstalled 2.0 and all is fine. go figure
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:51 PM - 1 October, 2010
I can get it to write tags on wav and aiff files. They have not been writing on mp3, m4a, aac.

Does the same happen for you?
EngcolDJ 6:25 PM - 1 October, 2010
hi chad,
just done quite a bit of testing...

tag writing is not happening on mp3 files at all.

I use mp4 video files quite a bit and they all write tags after 3 - 10 seconds of play. (Using smart crates with a live update I can see when SL is writing to the file as the blue circle lights up)

Only a few mp4 files with a low video bitrate (around 1000) do not write tags.

Could this be a file size/bit rate related thing?

Glad to hear you are replicating the problem! :-)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:56 PM - 1 October, 2010
Have you analyzed all of the files in this version previously?

What audio codec do your video files have?
EngcolDJ 2:59 AM - 2 October, 2010
chad

yes all files have been fully analysed in sl 2.1.1.

video files audio codec is mp3 i think...
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:24 PM - 4 October, 2010
I've seen this version write tags for wav and aiff files but not for m4a, aac, mp3.

I'm thinking if your video has one of those audio codecs, that could explain why it writes tags for your videos.

If your problem continues though, please start a new thread so I can keep all of the details and factors separate.
EngcolDJ 6:26 AM - 5 October, 2010
will check the audio codec and get back to you...

thanks for your help so far
ninjagaijin 2:03 PM - 12 November, 2010
itunes 2.3 id3 tag conversion seemed to fix it for me, but have to test in full serato not just offline mode
EngcolDJ 6:30 PM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:
itunes 2.3 id3 tag conversion seemed to fix it for me, but have to test in full serato not just offline mode

thanks i will try this