DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Favorite house dj using Scratch Live?

Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:00 PM - 13 September, 2010
I haven't heard much conversation about favorite house dj's. Who knocks your socks of behind the decks using Scratch Live.

I'm on the hunt for some new dj's to check out and who better to ask than you guys!

Respect :)
DjWoody 10:14 PM - 13 September, 2010
James Zabiela! He tweeted about The Bridge and the CDJ2000's on HID mode. If he made the switch, than he's def someone to check out. He's insane!
kue 10:34 PM - 13 September, 2010
I use Scratch Live and spin house! :D
Konix 10:41 PM - 13 September, 2010
More Techno than House, but check out Seth Troxler.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:48 PM - 13 September, 2010
Sad but (too) many use that other sh!t but a few have seen the light. I think I saw old school/soulful House DJ - Mike Dunn out of Chicago was using Serato when he was the featured DJ at an event here in Detroit earlier this year.

I think I remember seeing one or two other deep House DJs (from NYC) using Serato @ afterparties during DEMF here in Detroit but was too wasted to remember who they were - LOL.

A local DJ here, Jenny Le Femme www.djlafemme.com who is breaking nicely on the International circuit still uses Serato for the moment - although Native Instruments is trying to woo her too. I guess she would be my favorite at the moment.
Shumzs 2:27 AM - 14 September, 2010
DJ TIPZ
djtipz.blogspot.com

we've both been on it from day!
hip hop heads but he's playing loads of house now!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:19 PM - 14 September, 2010
Awesome guys. I checked out a few and like what I hear. Couldn't find any mixes on the www.djlafemme.com site though.

James Zabiela is from the UK, but enjoyed. Anyone stateside?

Kue, where the links at homie?

djtipz.blogspot.com has some good mixes and custom refixes :)

Keep em coming, I've checked these out.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:31 PM - 14 September, 2010
doh, missed konix's suggestion. Going to google him now.
dj_craigmac 11:02 PM - 14 September, 2010
Chicago's own Mickey Mixxin Oliver,Steve Miggedy Maestro and Dj Flipside all use SSL
djkermit 11:25 PM - 14 September, 2010
I listen to mixes and got some free blends here ..
www.djkermit.net

Shameless plug! LOL!
kue 12:08 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Awesome guys. I checked out a few and like what I hear. Couldn't find any mixes on the www.djlafemme.com site though.

James Zabiela is from the UK, but enjoyed. Anyone stateside?

Kue, where the links at homie?

djtipz.blogspot.com has some good mixes and custom refixes :)

Keep em coming, I've checked these out.

www.djkue.net :D

www.soundcloud.com :D
ninos 4:29 AM - 15 September, 2010
steve lawler

his style is crazy! tech-house mixed in with tribal then hit with a splash of techno. hes truly an amazing DJ, love his style, deff one of my favs :)
Watchwww.youtube.com

^^^
crazy, crazy, crazy. i wanna be in a postition like that when im older :)
ivan zilch 5:05 AM - 15 September, 2010
steve aoki? not really the best technical dj, but a great performer and a crowd pleaser
Evon 9:46 AM - 15 September, 2010
My list of house djs using traktor is way longer than djs using Serato. Traktor do got some selling point features a EDM dj can't overlook, sad but true. Don't wanna start another debate out of this thread, but sure hope Serato will close these gaps asap.
dj-dave-d 10:29 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
James Zabiela! He tweeted about The Bridge and the CDJ2000's on HID mode. If he made the switch, than he's def someone to check out. He's insane!

what he said^^^^^^
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 2:28 PM - 15 September, 2010
Another shameless bit of promotion : )
www.djdub63.podomatic.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:45 PM - 15 September, 2010
Sweet!

Steve Aoki, def aware of. He is a crowd pleasure for sure.

Evon, appreciate your candidness, sa'll good :)

Big ups the BSP from dj dub, I do it all the time, you have to ;)

I want to be where steve lawler was playing. Looks good, will have to google more.

Thanks guys, you're keeping my ears happy.
phate 3:49 PM - 15 September, 2010
MSTRKRFT
A-Trak
Grumpy 7:46 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
steve lawler

his style is crazy! tech-house mixed in with tribal then hit with a splash of techno. hes truly an amazing DJ, love his style, deff one of my favs :)
Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

^^^
crazy, crazy, crazy. i wanna be in a postition like that when im older :)

WORD!!! Lawler is the man. Seen him live a few times at WMC but didn't realize he rocks Serato. Good sh*t
Grumpy 7:58 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Sweet!

I want to be where steve lawler was playing. Looks good, will have to google more.

Thanks guys, you're keeping my ears happy.

It was the Beatport Pool Party, National Hotel, WMC 2009. I was there. Definitley a must experience for not only the house heads but now even hip hip/open format peeps...WMC I mean.
Evon 8:00 PM - 15 September, 2010
Sick Steve Lawler video.

Benny Benassi uses Serato.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Great video ;) Hot chicks dig electro house ;)
djhefner 8:53 PM - 15 September, 2010
typerel 10:40 PM - 15 September, 2010
Diplo? Guess you can call it house.

Clip of him rockin Chicago @ Lollapalooza 2009...must've been like 95 degrees that day and he wears a 3 piece suit. Now that's classy!
Watchwww.youtube.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:45 PM - 15 September, 2010
lol, watch the benny benassi video.... lol. He is a big name and draws the ladies fo sheezy. I didn't know he used Scratch live though, thats pretty sick.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:29 AM - 16 September, 2010
Quote:

She had one under the media section of her website but that was from 2008, heres some more recent stuff.

Here's a link to some of Jenny's mixes on Soundcloud:

soundcloud.com

Here's a recent Tech House mix she did:

hotfile.com

And here's a video of her at a Picnic that I helped throw earlier this summer:

www.facebook.com

Cool thing that I first noticed is she is not a just pretty face and a pair of tits like so many other female DJs - the girl can rock.

I think she has more vids on her facebook: www.facebook.com

Ok enough - before it seems like I am a stalker or better yet have to charge her a managers fee. Seriously, she is one of the coolest DJs I have met in a quite a while (and I have been meeting DJs for many, many, many years)
ivan zilch 1:28 PM - 16 September, 2010
benny benassi;'s video = lots of eye candies :D
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:13 PM - 16 September, 2010

Awesome video. Nice to see the Serato and Rane logo on it too :)
dj red 4:13 PM - 16 September, 2010
why not.....

www.beezo.net
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:46 PM - 16 September, 2010
Nice one dj red. Peeping the industry takeover mix right now. Thanks
dj red 9:34 PM - 16 September, 2010
thanks chad let me know what you think
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:44 PM - 16 September, 2010
twas good, had some pumpin energy. Didn't listen to close, I was getting through some emails and forum posts but I'm glad you posted. Thanks for the link and the tunes :)
dj red 9:45 PM - 16 September, 2010
no worries checkem all lol and don't forget to tell your friends
Tururu 5:21 AM - 17 September, 2010
DJ Riddler
Dope DJ and Producer.

www.beezo.net

www.djriddler.com
E-Double 9:22 AM - 17 September, 2010
Throwing my hat in the ring...

www.beezo.net
dj deedz 3:37 AM - 19 September, 2010
I saw benny at electriz zoo in nyc a few weeks ago. He definitely uses serato and it was fucking up big time for the first half of his set & u could tell.
G-man NYC 9:54 AM - 19 September, 2010
Felix Da Housecat

David Berrie
Ed Mazur 1:34 AM - 20 September, 2010
I'm not a big name (yet) but I play house regularly around San Francisco with Serato. Here are most recent mixes, all done on Serato-

soundcloud.com
Chem Project 6:11 PM - 5 October, 2010
Armand Van Helden
Eric N 6:15 PM - 5 October, 2010
Donald Glaude. I may be biased since he was one of my original influences way back in the day, but the last few times I have seen him, he has been on Serato.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:20 PM - 5 October, 2010
Armand Van Helden? orly? he uses Scratch Live?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:21 PM - 5 October, 2010
Dude, Donald is a god. He's a hometown hero for us and we all remember him shoppping in the record store we all use to work in on the regular. That guy is an idol in seattle. Deservedly so.
Eric N 6:23 PM - 5 October, 2010
Unless NI has signed him as a Traktor spokesman in the last year or so lol. You guys should make him a sponsorship offer. ;) The last few times I have seen him in Tacoma he was using an SL1 with Pioneer CDJs.

*side note* I don't really understand touring DJs that don't do video and use Serato with CDJs. Seems to me you would want to use 1200s with SSL or just bring a book of CDs lol. Don't get me wrong, I love SSL, but that's one thing that makes me scratch my head and wonder.
Eric N 6:34 PM - 5 October, 2010
Looks like he is still on Team SSL. =)

From his myspace...

"Continuing to be “The Hardest Working American Dj” Donald has many new projects planned for this upcoming year. He has a tour scheduled with “America’s Most Beloved Dj” Dj Dan and he also has another new CD releasing in 2007. Also expect new release from all three of his labels Eden Recordings, Durty Records and DGR. You have seen him use his musical talents from bring his experience in playing bass, percussion, violin and then moving on to the turntable just show us his grasp on music. To mastering the turntable and then on to recently turned Serato user always expect the unexpected when you come see Donald Glaude………"
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:43 PM - 5 October, 2010
Nice!
DjWoody 8:31 PM - 5 October, 2010
Quote:
Dude, Donald is a god. He's a hometown hero for us and we all remember him shoppping in the record store we all use to work in on the regular. That guy is an idol in seattle. Deservedly so.

photo.rukes.com
phate 1:41 AM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:
Armand Van Helden

armand uses cds, not sl
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:24 PM - 8 October, 2010
I do believe DJ Spinna uses Serato. And he spins House, Hip Hop, and RnB
wrosenbl12 12:15 AM - 10 October, 2010
everytime i've seen AVH spin i haven't noticed a computer...well except when he's with a-trak doing their duck sauce collab.

Beni G is sponsored by serato...he's 1/2 of Jack Beats and has done a lot of other stuff.

serato.com
wrosenbl12 1:10 AM - 10 October, 2010
but i have to mention beni g's main success comes from his turntabalism days...
David Househead 1:41 AM - 10 October, 2010
Johnny Fiasco
djticonyc 3:30 AM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
DJ Riddler
Dope DJ and Producer.

www.beezo.net

www.djriddler.com

Shontelle - Impossible (Riddler Remix) IS HOTTTTTTTTTTTT. I'm putting it in my new house mixtape im working on
noonstar 2:52 AM - 15 October, 2010
Benny Bennasi also uses Serato
ninos 3:30 AM - 15 October, 2010
yea shit cant believe i didnt say benny benassi, hes in my top 5 for EDM DJ's.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:15 PM - 15 October, 2010
Bennasi is a stud
wrosenbl12 10:20 PM - 15 October, 2010
Quote:
Bennasi is a stud

he recently did a tour in california where he biked from the bay area to san diego...he stopped and played about six gigs along the way. he stopped in my town and dropped like a twenty minute set at a bike shop...some local bikers road in with him...seems like a real genuine guy.
DJ Fez 12:05 AM - 16 October, 2010
howd he transport his gear? or did the bike shop already have TT's and a mixer? that doesnt even sound like a real question haha
ninos 1:24 AM - 16 October, 2010
he biked. his crew drove.
wrosenbl12 1:24 AM - 16 October, 2010
he had a van that traveled with him...in fact i believe he had a film crew too.

i think the promoter that brought him into town arranged the gear...i didn't go to the bike shop i just saw some videos of it.

bennybenassibiketour.com
Serato
dave 8:17 PM - 16 October, 2010
Too cool.
Dj.Mojo 2:19 PM - 17 October, 2010
Butch is using ScratchLive. He is really good.
He was complaining about some issues about one and a half years ago in the German forum.
Chem Project 12:53 AM - 22 February, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com

Armand Van Helden rocking SSL. He used to to use CDJs only but made the switch recently.
Chem Project 1:07 AM - 22 February, 2011
Also LA Riots are pretty sick Serato house djs
jepe 1:20 AM - 22 February, 2011
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:07 PM - 22 February, 2011
Arman Van Helden is large ;) LA Riots on the come up too!

Thanks for mentioning them.
Dj K.Smith 6:32 PM - 24 February, 2011
How about our own Dj Kagen... Orange County stand up!!!!!!!!

www.stickam.com
dj_craigmac 8:28 PM - 24 February, 2011
Thundercat and Atrain
orchardlounge 9:24 PM - 24 February, 2011
jamie jones, lee foss...

and me.
Dj K.Smith 9:37 PM - 24 February, 2011
+1 on Thundercat aka Dj Dazz...
Marx&Villain 9:33 AM - 25 February, 2011
SETH TROXLER
Marx&Villain 9:33 AM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:
jamie jones, lee foss...

YES
orchardlounge 3:55 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

jamie jones, lee foss...

YES

for the new yorkers here, i'm playing with jamie next sunday, 3/6, at hotel on rivington.

www.orchardlounge.com
browny 1:03 AM - 14 August, 2011
Jamie jones, Lee foss, and Seth troxler all use traktor now! Traktor has better midi and has sync! Perfect for house and techno, I wish serato had better midi and sync. ( I realise sync is abut contravershal)
DJAlto 4:08 AM - 15 August, 2011
Saw Donald Glaude in Cabo... he was using Serato. Awesome person.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:38 PM - 15 August, 2011
^^Awesome. I've heard he recently moved back to Seattle too. Very nice :)
DJDeluchi 5:09 PM - 15 August, 2011
its gotta be fatboy slim for me
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:19 PM - 15 August, 2011
That guy is a stud. Been a long time fan. Rockafella skank got me hooked on some electronic action many mnay years ago.
browny 7:41 PM - 15 August, 2011
Chad does it not seem abit worrying that people like Richie Hawtin, Seth troxler Lee foss etc etc, all used to use ssl and then moved to NI.
Is rane worried about the house djs? Or they more trying to aim at hip hop/commercial djs?
I love ssl but would love to see other djs I go and see use it.
Every year I'm in Ibiza I see about 20 big name djs and I would say 15 of them are on traktor and the rest just on cd or vinyl.
browny 7:43 PM - 15 August, 2011
And please don't hate on me, I had traktor and came back to ssl because of the brilliant support I have had from you guys. The people at NI where not so quick to help.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:52 PM - 15 August, 2011
No hate, I honestly think it boils down to a lack of auto sync in Scratch Live. We at Rane tech support have been asking for 2 years and really heavily this last year for that feature.

Mixing 4 decks without auto sync and still managing your SP-6 and DJ FX can be near impossible. Having the sync capability for our Sixty Eight, Sl-4 and even SL-3 would be tremendous even though i would choose not to use the feature since I'm usually mixing two decks.

You have a good point, let's hope Serato gives us what we know the people are asking for.
browny 9:01 PM - 15 August, 2011
i also most of the time use two decks and there for not worried about sync, but with alot of the djs using 3/4 decks or just playing loops and samples like you say they want/need sync.
I think you guys have one advantage of having the awsome hid support with the 2000s(what I use)
This with auto sync would surly be a winner for house and techno djs.
I used to fight the corner against it but I think that's just the way things are going to be so iv stopped fighting it and trying to embrace it. :)
I'd love to see either the kontrol x1 properly supported or you guys making a controller very similar so if need be you can use ssl without decks as you can with NI.
Cheers kris :)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:04 PM - 15 August, 2011
cheers ;)
Evon 10:38 PM - 15 August, 2011
Quote:
No hate, I honestly think it boils down to a lack of auto sync in Scratch Live. We at Rane tech support have been asking for 2 years and really heavily this last year for that feature.

Mixing 4 decks without auto sync and still managing your SP-6 and DJ FX can be near impossible. Having the sync capability for our Sixty Eight, Sl-4 and even SL-3 would be tremendous even though i would choose not to use the feature since I'm usually mixing two decks.

You have a good point, let's hope Serato gives us what we know the people are asking for.

AMEN
Evon 11:12 PM - 15 August, 2011
Quote:
Chad does it not seem abit worrying that people like Richie Hawtin, Seth troxler Lee foss etc etc, all used to use ssl and then moved to NI.
Is rane worried about the house djs? Or they more trying to aim at hip hop/commercial djs?
I love ssl but would love to see other djs I go and see use it.
Every year I'm in Ibiza I see about 20 big name djs and I would say 15 of them are on traktor and the rest just on cd or vinyl.

I recently went to Ibiza and I didn´t see one single Serato dj there. Pretty much like you said most where using traktor or CDJs.
As for me, I decided to wait a little, because I really wanna use scratch live because I think its awesome on other things, and I weak hope that a sync feature is looked into soonish. But as time stretches I will eventually switch if its not implemented. And they need to hurry because they loosing customers already, no doubt about that.
browny 11:53 AM - 16 August, 2011
I think serato is one of the only dvs systems without sync now, so I can't see what there is to lose by adding it.
People who don't like it don't have to use it and it's not as if there is any other software they can jump to without sync!
I say bring it on, I want to see some serious techno djs using ssl again! :)
echa1945mf 3:14 PM - 16 August, 2011
for us non turntablism , and not hiphop autosync wont be a problem, fact be told theres more mix DJ's than turntablism in the world
browny 5:01 PM - 18 August, 2011
Steve lawler also jumped to traktor this year, last year was on ssl