Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

NEW FEATURE (UPDATE)

Prime-X 10:23 AM - 30 July, 2004
BPM, that locks to the tempo.

Pitch Control, it'll be cool if this thing can hold the pitch while you change the tempo.

Record, this will be great when you're mixing.

Display, resizable text display or make it scrolling to the side so you can read everything you are playing.

Scratching, On vinyl is sounds really good but CD it's sounds really crappy, remember a lot of dj companies now are focusing on cd's & mp3's. They have everything I mentioned here and more but the only lacking is hard drive. Numark, actual just launch this, Final Scratch II are doing hard drive version, and Denon is actual designing a new model with CD & Hard drive. Scratch live, is a good unit but it'll be A LOT MORE better if you can add a few update.

There's no....Anything is posible.
Serato
Josh 11:40 PM - 1 August, 2004
Quote:
Scratching, On vinyl is sounds really good but CD it's sounds really crappy, remember a lot of dj companies now are focusing on cd's & mp3's

Prime-X do you mean when controlling using a CD Player like a CDJ? What sounds crappy exactly, that shouldn't be happening...
12micsn1 1:58 AM - 2 August, 2004
The things I dont agree on.

Pitch control is another hardwear function

Scratching on CDs depends on the CDJ your using. If you use SSL with the Numark CDX you wont hear much of a difference compared to the CDJ-1000. That platter really bites since Numark came on the scene with the CDX.

SSL wasnt designed to record because its for Live use. HINT HINT.. You need to send the audio from the DJ mixer to another source to record just like on a traditional setup. Dj mixers should be set up more like studio mixers where each audio channel is recorded to its own track no matter what the crossfader does.

Everything else i agree on.

Display should of been resizable from day one.
nik39 3:57 AM - 2 August, 2004
Quote:
BPM, that locks to the tempo.

Check scratchlive.net

Quote:
We are putting in both auto and manual (tapping) beat detection. Some people like the displayed BPM to be pitched, others like it being unpitched, so this will be a preference.

Quote:
Pitch Control, it'll be cool if this thing can hold the pitch while you change the tempo.

Discussed in

scratchlive.net

and

www.scratchlive.net

Quote:
Display, resizable text display or make it scrolling to the side so you can read everything you are playing.

What do you mean? Scrolling does not work?

Quote:
Scratching, On vinyl is sounds really good but CD it's sounds really crappy

Scratching on cds always sucks ;) Anyway, if the CD player emulates just the movement (and does not transform the soundsignal in any additional way, like key correction or any other stuff (I read SSL uses a kind of vinyl plugin thing to make the scratching sound more authentic)) then SSL will work with that.

Quote:
remember a lot of dj companies now are focusing on cd's & mp3's. They have everything I mentioned here and more but the only lacking is hard drive. Numark, actual just launch this, Final Scratch II are doing hard drive version, and Denon is actual designing a new model with CD & Hard drive. Scratch live, is a good unit but it'll be A LOT MORE better if you can add a few update.

Can you describe more detailed what is missing? I didnt understand this last paragraph. (BTW before posting suggestions would be nice if you check the forum if the forum whether this has been allready requested... thanks)
Prime-X 10:34 PM - 3 August, 2004
Josh, I'm using Denon DN-S5000 and it never sound the same when I'm scratching on it, from regular turntable it sounds like a regular Vinyl it sounds GREAT but from my DN-S5000 it feels like or sound like the sound is a little bit behind. When I'm doing crab scratching I could'nt get the right sound. So, please help me on this.
Serato
Josh 10:42 PM - 3 August, 2004
Are you setting to line-level in the setup screen?
Prime-X 1:38 AM - 4 August, 2004
Yes Josh
Serato
Josh 1:51 AM - 4 August, 2004
What buffer setting are you at?
Prime-X 3:26 AM - 4 August, 2004
I'm not home right now to check that for you, but I know the fader was in middle (50%)
Serato
Josh 3:36 AM - 4 August, 2004
ok well, try it a lower setting, lower=faster response=better for scratching.

Also make sure anything on the cd decks which could be doing funny stuff, like key correction etc, is turned off.
Serato, Moderator
AJ 8:09 AM - 17 August, 2004
Quote:
Josh, I'm using Denon DN-S5000 and it never sound the same when I'm scratching on it, from regular turntable it sounds like a regular Vinyl it sounds GREAT but from my DN-S5000 it feels like or sound like the sound is a little bit behind. When I'm doing crab scratching I could'nt get the right sound. So, please help me on this.

Maybe the Denon has latency. There's not much we could do about it if the CD player reacts slowly to your movements. Have you tried a crab scratch with a normal music CD in the Denon? If the sound is a little bit behind with a normal CD, then it is going to be behind with scratch live too, because SL is listening to what the CD player produces.