DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So I decided I want a Pioneer DJM-707

DJBlisk 12:53 AM - 13 March, 2007
The same as the 909 but without effects and only $300 bucks NIB. Now the only problem is where the fuck can I find one? Damn thing is discontinued.
mister iLL 1:30 AM - 13 March, 2007
i used to do gigs with a dude who had one of those...that mixer felt really nice. and that's coming from a ttm56 owner.

ebay maybe?
dj_soo 1:31 AM - 13 March, 2007
i have one - i love it. It'll tide me over nicely until i can afford a tm57
DJBlisk 2:14 AM - 13 March, 2007
ebay doesn't have it. I am looking everywhere for one.
Mr. $weetlife 2:15 AM - 13 March, 2007
Yeah, the 707 is Niiiice! Had mine two years with zero problems. I thought the right up fader was going out but sprayed contact cleaner in it and the bleed is gone. Crossfader has a great feel. Upfaders aren't the greatest but for the money its a solid buy!
Pioneer must have been taking a loss on every unit sold because it's worth more than $300 any day. Maybe Pio just wanted to have a mixer in that price range and stem off competitors?

Ebay is your best bet to find one...
djharveydent 3:40 AM - 13 March, 2007
I got mine from Guitar Center but they had to order the last one from another store in another state. Good luck.
Kam456 5:37 AM - 13 March, 2007
I got one right when it got discontinued for $300. Best purchase i've made in my life.

Way better mixer than the ttm56 in my opinion. The layout is much nicer. Knobs are better. Has XRL outputs. Has 5 line inputs (the 56 has only 2). The LED display is much clearer easier to see. The faders are solid.
DJBlisk 6:13 AM - 13 March, 2007
The prices was actually the same as the ttm-56 but pioneer discontinued it. therefore they dropped the price down to $300 which is wholesale I think.

thanks for making me jealous you assholes.
Mr. Wright 6:23 AM - 13 March, 2007
Yeah i just came across a ttm56 for $300, used but mint. Never had a rane mixer for scratching only vestax and i must say. I'd never go back to the vestax this thing is butter. I've always wanted to try a 707 or 909 though.
De LA 7:16 PM - 13 March, 2007
Ive got a 707 and a 909. Love them both. The 707 is a great at home/back up mixer for me now that I sold off my efx 500. I think I picked up the 707 for about 250 when it got discontinued. Ive seen a few at some DJ stores/guitar centers as refurbs or models that are just to show. Call around.
DeezNotes 8:22 PM - 13 March, 2007
The 707 feels nice. I only played with it for a few min, but it was definitely quality. Nice buttery fader too.
LoKey 8:42 PM - 13 March, 2007
I've used the 909 and it's straight butta. Solid, solid machine. the best mixer I've used for overall gigin'.

The TTM-56 is the best for scratch/home use and for small gigs.

I compare them like this:

The TTM-56 is like a Ducati bike, the 909 is like BMW coupe.
Charlie 8:42 PM - 13 March, 2007
Quote:
Has 5 line inputs (the 56 has only 2)

are you counting the auxiliary RCA input?
Sammy J 2:48 AM - 14 March, 2007
I own both the ttm 56 and Pioneer 707. the faders on the ttm56 are solid but the construction is shit....Ive been through for of these mixer cause the eq knobs are plastic and keep breaking off. I was able to cop a pioneer 707 from canal street in new york for 400 bucks last week and this shit is diseal. The extra 100 i paid for is worth it. The only negative thing about it is the upfaders.
DJBlisk 3:20 AM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
Ive got a 707 and a 909. Love them both. The 707 is a great at home/back up mixer for me now that I sold off my efx 500. I think I picked up the 707 for about 250 when it got discontinued. Ive seen a few at some DJ stores/guitar centers as refurbs or models that are just to show. Call around.

know any places off the top of your head?
DJBlisk 3:22 AM - 14 March, 2007
Somebody hook it up you bums!
Dj KaGeN 3:48 AM - 14 March, 2007
I checked Craiglist and ebay today while hunting for steals on CDJ's.. still nothing - for you or for me.
Sammy J 3:58 AM - 14 March, 2007
Just walk around canal street in new york the dealers are loaded with the 707s

2 problems though

1. Unauthorized Dealers
2. Get ready to pay 100 dollars above retail.
DJBlisk 5:44 PM - 14 March, 2007
Why above retail?

Might have a lead or 2.

I found this on the iternet www.fortunetimeltd.com

It looks like bullshit and KaGen is endorsing the bullshit part.

It sounds too good to be true, but I wanted to see if any peeps had any experiences with this.
Sheeds 5:47 PM - 14 March, 2007
umm what? CDJ 1000 MK3's for $500?
DJBlisk 5:57 PM - 14 March, 2007
I know I know.
De LA 6:02 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

know any places off the top of your head?

not really, you can try www.pro-mix.com Sometimes they have some discontinued stuff. I would make friends with the stock guys at guitar center incase some one brings one in to sell, they can notifiy you. Or put a wanted ad up on craigslist.

WTF is wtih fortunetimeltd.com!! Is that like the nigerian money scams?!
DJ Autograph 6:08 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
I own both the ttm 56 and Pioneer 707. the faders on the ttm56 are solid but the construction is shit....Ive been through for of these mixer cause the eq knobs are plastic and keep breaking off.

Jesus, what the hell do you use your 56 for??? That thing is built like a tank. I've ony had to take mine in once and I've had it for 5 years. One of the spots I used to do in Philly had a 707 and I hated that thing. The F-ing fader knobs would all fall off. Got tired of it after a while and just started bringing my 56 with me.
CMOS 7:22 PM - 14 March, 2007
Sammy if u keep buying your gear off canal street your gonna wind up with a rame56 and technique1200s i dont think ive ever seen anything that was the real deal being sold down there.
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:45 PM - 14 March, 2007
Quote:
Sammy if u keep buying your gear off canal street your gonna wind up with a rame56 and technique1200s i dont think ive ever seen anything that was the real deal being sold down there.

Thats not 100% true. There are a few authorized dealers down there but you do gotta be careful because there are some shady places also. I bought my Denon 6000 dual CD player from Canal street. No way that its not legit. I forget the name of the store but it is actually on Denons list of authorized dealers on the Denon website. So I felt pretty confident buying from them. I did save a fortune though. It retails for 900, i walked out the door for 600.
CMOS 8:08 PM - 14 March, 2007
The place canal Hifi is the only reputable place down there. I just dont trust a place in the middle of knockoff city. If they can bootleg everything under the sun with serial number and everything why not electronics.
SpinThis! 9:47 PM - 14 March, 2007
Damn, I thought I just stepped into the Pioneer fanboy forum...

Personally, I'd go '56 over '707 any day of the week. Rane's faders are the best... and you get 3 of them on the '56 versus only one "wearless" x-fader 707. I used to own a DJM-500... the upfaders were truly crap—hopefully they're not recycling those to use on the 707. Garbage in/garbage out.

If you don't do much mixing or use CDJs and like the fader start, the 707 might be up to the task. Personally, I'd pay more. Pioneer discontinued the mixer because it wasn't selling... that should be a red flag right there.
DJ Irv 9:50 PM - 14 March, 2007
Canal Street do's and donts.

1. Never Give them your money until you look at the box.
2. Don't buy re-sealed stuff
3. Look for missing writing from the cardboard like it's been cut out (always refurbished item)
4. Know what you want and don't let them talk you into anything else.
5. Know the going rate for what you want so you don't get "got"
Diñolito 10:35 PM - 14 March, 2007
Spinthis: that's not true:

1) not the same linefaders as in the 500. Nowhere near the rane magnetic ones, I'll admit that.

2) 707 was selling big-time. After they discontinued it there was high demand after them and a lot of people were indignent why they would discontinue a decent scratch mixer with so much features, excellent layout, and superb crossfader at such a low price tag. Reason is they wanted people to buy the 909, which is the exact same mixer as a 707, except for the f/x section. A-trak is using one, DJ Spinna, Craze,...so it won't be that bad...
DJBlisk 11:38 PM - 14 March, 2007
I might have a lead!!!
Kam456 12:03 AM - 15 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Has 5 line inputs (the 56 has only 2)

are you counting the auxiliary RCA input?

yep.
DJJOHNNYM 12:43 AM - 15 March, 2007
What exactly is the issue with the 707 upfaders?

Are they the same faders on the 909?
dj_soo 12:46 AM - 15 March, 2007
the issue with the upfaders are they are still analogue and not optical like the x-faders - thus they will wear out.

The nice part about the Rane is that all the faders are the magnetic no-contact dealie so you can swap between x-faders and your upfadersa and they will all work.
Sammy J 12:59 AM - 15 March, 2007
the upfaders are crap...they're alpha faders which means they'll die out if you abuse em. They're the same faders on the 909.

The faders on the Rane are magnetic faders and they can take the abuse, but the eq knobs cant cause they're made out of plastic

Pros of the 707
1. You can adjust the crossfader to your needs(Lag and Tension)
2. You have 4 line inputs ( I can hook up cd players and serato at the same time)
3. You can use the transform switch to transform both line and phono without taking wires out from the back.

Cons
1. up faders are Alpha faders
2. Sound qaulity isnt that great past 0 db

Pros on TTM 56
1. The faders last forever
2. Overall sound quality is good

Cons
1. The eq knobs are made out of plastic (why are these plastic and the rest of them metal?).
2. Made out of some cheap materials (inside threading of the crossfader was stripped when i got my mixer and my fader was loose in fader housing)
3. Only two line inputs (Can't use cd players or serato at the same time)
4. No Cross fader adjustablility
5. Can't transform line or phono without taking wires out from the back.

I own both of these mixers

I take my 707 for mobile gigs
and i use my 56 at home....

It's a shame cause the 56 is a great mixer but it limits me alot.
DJJOHNNYM 1:59 AM - 15 March, 2007
[quote
4. No Cross fader adjustablility

5. Can't transform line or phono without taking wires out from the back.

Wait a minute...the 56 doesn't have the crossfader adjust like the 57?

And why can't you transform between line and phono? (Not assuming you're using Serato?) Or is it that you CAN'T transform ONLY while using Serato?
Sammy J 2:56 AM - 15 March, 2007
cross fader adjustability as in lag and tension

you have to look at the lay out of a 707 or 909 to understand the transforming part of my previous post.
Diñolito 4:09 AM - 15 March, 2007
in other words: dedicated transform switches, not phono/line switches used as transform switches.
DJJOHNNYM 6:53 AM - 15 March, 2007
Got it...so that "Tension" adjust is really a dealbreaker huh?

And I'm lmao @ "Transform Buttons"....

Whoda ever thunk they would come standard on some mixers....
De LA 2:14 PM - 15 March, 2007
Quote:
Pioneer discontinued the mixer because it wasn't selling... that should be a red flag right there.

Not at all! Pioneer made the 707 for hype reasons. It was kinda the public prototype for the 909. Once they got everyone to like the 707 they pushed out the 909's with all the effects. So people like...me who had a 707 and an efx 500. Were able to get it all in one package plus some. The 707 even started out with a black faceplate before they changed it to silver, so there was some degree of difference in the apperance.
DJBlisk 5:21 PM - 15 March, 2007
Got the last one from Guitar Center Boston, some dude working there had it on layaway but decided not to buy it. $320 shipped for a dope mixer with ALPs faders (yuck) that I can mod. Could it be better than my 05pro 1 with the Pro Xfade Crossfader? The sound and options should be better at least.
dj_soo 5:52 PM - 15 March, 2007
Quote:

it's not just the tension - you can also adjust the lag (i.e. cut-in distance) just like you can on an Ecler (another nice mixer btw).
DJJOHNNYM 6:17 PM - 15 March, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

it's not just the tension - you can also adjust the lag (i.e. cut-in distance) just like you can on an Ecler (another nice mixer btw).

I thought the "LAG" was controlled by the contour buttons...
dj_soo 6:31 PM - 15 March, 2007
nono, countour adjusts the curve but the actual lag - i.e. the distance between when the x-fader sets to "ON" - for most mixers are not adjustable (hence the "credit card mod" for adjusting lag) - www.prodjforums.com

Pioneer and Ecler have an additional control that allows users to adjust this variable.

does that make sense?
DJBlisk 8:14 PM - 15 March, 2007
1mm is the shortest right Soo?
dj_soo 8:18 PM - 15 March, 2007
on a pioneer 1mm is the shortest i believe. Ecler, the lag control will actually turn the x-fader completely off...
DJJOHNNYM 3:31 PM - 16 March, 2007
Quote:
nono, countour adjusts the curve but the actual lag - i.e. the distance between when the x-fader sets to "ON" - for most mixers are not adjustable (hence the "credit card mod" for adjusting lag) - www.prodjforums.com

Pioneer and Ecler have an additional control that allows users to adjust this variable.

does that make sense?

Wow, ok I gotchu....

Thanks for the info.
DJJOHNNYM 3:48 PM - 16 March, 2007
Ok, now I'm pissed....I think.

So does this "LAG" make all the difference in the world on your ability to do things like crabs and today's scratches?

1mm is AWFULLY SHORT, but the ability to actually turn the X-fader completely off with that same adjustment brings that measurement to a level of infinity.

What is the cut in distance of a RANE 56? Do you guys normally do the credit card mod by default? And if so, at what measurement do you put the fader? Isn't the fader more likely to turn on by accident?

Man, don't let me find out crabbing is a WHOLE LOT EASIER because of a hardware mod.
Konix 4:02 PM - 16 March, 2007
Yeah, cut in time adjustment does make some scratches easier/sound better.
Diñolito 4:10 PM - 16 March, 2007
while the 56's cut lag is not as short as the 707's and the curve itself is not as sharp as the 707's, it is short and sharp enough to perform all cuts. If you can't crab on a 56, you may have to brush up your skills.
DJJOHNNYM 4:46 PM - 16 March, 2007
The Ecler doesn't have optical faders right? Or else that would be the ultimate scratch mixer? Lemmie find out it has split cue. How is the Ecler compared to the 56 overall?
DeezNotes 4:58 PM - 16 March, 2007
Too short of a cut on your fader and you won't hear your cuts. Too much may limit you. The 56 has it just right in my opinion. It's long (or short) enough and sharp enough to give you that perfect cut where your clicks sound clean and defined.
SpinThis! 6:07 PM - 16 March, 2007
You can also slightly adjust the sensor on the '57 or '56 to increase or decrease the lag if you want if you feel it's too long or too short.
dj_soo 6:10 PM - 16 March, 2007
The Ecler has similar magnetic no-contact faders as the Rane (at least their high-end models). It even has a 5-year warranty on it in case anything messes up (theoretically it should last forever tho). It's super-smooth and has a great feel.

Actually, the Ecler is a damn nice mixer - i'd say the hak360 is very competitive with the 56 in terms of quality of sound, construction, layout etc. I'm actually surprised it doesn't get as much love as some other mixers out there.

The only complaint I've had about the Ecler is the upfader contour adjust seems a little messed up (i can't get a smooth linear curve) - but i haven't played around with one enough to really try.
DJBlisk 9:10 PM - 16 March, 2007
WTF? So my 707 being delivered as we speak, and I bought the thing for $300.... Well I check on ebay today and LOOK!!!
cgi.ebay.com

The auction ended at $500!!!!

Should I just sell it and get myself a ttm-56
mister iLL 11:37 PM - 16 March, 2007
WOW. somebody paid 500 bones for a USED 707?!?!?
DJBlisk 12:27 AM - 17 March, 2007
No shit!!! If thats the market, than I gots a deal.
DeezNotes 12:24 PM - 17 March, 2007
So where'd you wind up buying it from?
Sammy J 3:52 PM - 17 March, 2007
the crabs sound really crisp and clean on the 707 and 909. The 1mm makes a difference. You dont have stress your fingers against the fader at all. on the 56 and 57 you have to rub your your fingers hard to the fader push it farther to get that crisp and clean sound on crabs.
Diñolito 4:10 PM - 17 March, 2007
True.
DJBlisk 5:20 PM - 17 March, 2007
Quote:
So where'd you wind up buying it from?

Guitar Center in Boston had one on Layaway for an employee there. He decided he didn't want it, so they sold it to me. Brand new in box!
DJJOHNNYM 7:43 PM - 17 March, 2007
Quote:
the crabs sound really crisp and clean on the 707 and 909. The 1mm makes a difference. You dont have stress your fingers against the fader at all. on the 56 and 57 you have to rub your your fingers hard to the fader push it farther to get that crisp and clean sound on crabs.

So the credit card adjustment would make the 56/57 respond better with crabs?

What is the measurement of the "LAG" for a 56? I guess in mm's?

2mm,2.5mm, 3mm, or what?

This is some good shit y'all givin up.
Sammy J 11:52 PM - 18 March, 2007
the cut on a 56/57 is close to 2.5mm
DJJOHNNYM 12:16 AM - 19 March, 2007
Wow, thanks a lot @ Sammy.
booster 5000 4:13 PM - 19 March, 2007
I had an pioneer 707 and i sold it after a month. Didn´t like the x-fader. Got me an ttm 56 and the fader feels so much smoother than the pioneer fader. Remove the spring in the ttm 56 fader and you get such a super lightweight fader that you can blow the fader from one side to the other!

PS: The pioneer fader produce a popping sound when you cut because of their too sharp curve.(But only when you cut with real vinyl)
Mr. $weetlife 2:33 AM - 20 March, 2007
Quote:
PS: The pioneer fader produce a popping sound when you cut because of their too sharp curve.(But only when you cut with real vinyl)

Hmmm, mine doesn't. You know the 707 has a tension adjustment, right? You can get it pretty "super lightweight" too.
Diñolito 2:48 AM - 20 March, 2007
strange that yours doesn't. Because it's a typical "feature" of a digital feature. On the tightest cut there's absolutely no fade. The fader goes from 0 (no sound) to 1 (sound) which causes a slight popping noise. Which you can eliminate by turning the fade on, even by a minimal distance. Just enough to eliminate the "no sound <-> full sound" issue. That being said, I don't know why the pop would be there only in case of using real vinyl. Haven't really noticed that.
djdnial 6:36 PM - 20 March, 2007
I own 3 the best mixers I have ever had
dj_soo 7:02 PM - 20 March, 2007
I've experienced the pop - i solve it by cutting the bass on the EQ but i'll try slightly adjusting the curve... I always thought it was my tonearm actually...
Diñolito 8:15 PM - 20 March, 2007
Ow, I meant "feature of a digital fader of course"
DJBlisk 8:51 PM - 20 March, 2007
I can't wait for mine!!!!

so what do you guys think. should I sell it brand new and get a rane? its gonna be home use mostly.
DJBlisk 10:21 PM - 21 March, 2007
The 707 did not got down! back to the drawing board. Anybody here have experience with an Ecler HAK?
DeezNotes 2:29 PM - 22 March, 2007
What happened w/ the 707?
DJBlisk 4:01 PM - 22 March, 2007
Its wasn't new and the guy told me it was really banged up. he doesn't even know if it works.... etc.
SpinThis! 6:23 PM - 22 March, 2007
^^ take it as a sign... get the eckler or the 56.
Mr. $weetlife 9:14 PM - 23 March, 2007
Quote:
The 707 did not got down! back to the drawing board. Anybody here have experience with an Ecler HAK?

Bump^^^ I've been eyeing it. Anyone have one???
dannysnightout 3:28 AM - 26 March, 2007
Quote:
Got the last one from Guitar Center Boston, some dude working there had it on layaway but decided not to buy it. $320 shipped for a dope mixer with ALPs faders (yuck) that I can mod. Could it be better than my 05pro 1 with the Pro Xfade Crossfader? The sound and options should be better at least.

how would you mod the upfaders on the 707?
DJBlisk 4:35 PM - 26 March, 2007
DJBlisk 10:10 PM - 26 March, 2007
Any reviews on the Audio Innovative 100i? not to be mistaken with the 100 and those weird buttons.
DJBlisk 9:03 PM - 27 March, 2007
Ecler HAK 380?