Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Feedback about the transition from ScratchLive.net to Serato.com

Serato
dave 4:39 AM - 9 September, 2010
Read about the reason for us closing ScratchLive.net here: serato.com

Or let us know your thoughts about the transition from Serato.com to ScratchLive.net, specifically:

1) Are you able to find what you are after?
2) Are there any differences in style between the sites that you'd like to comment about?
Serato
dave 4:39 AM - 9 September, 2010
I'll start.

1) Yes
2) The new message yellow is brighter on Serato.com
Steve Dub. 4:55 AM - 9 September, 2010
1. Yes
2. I don't like serato.com because of the colors, the white hurts my eyes. I've always preferred the yellow background which is why I never switched over.
Serato
dave 5:00 AM - 9 September, 2010
Hey Steve, I'm not sure I understand the difference you're seeing. Messages are either old (white on both sites) or new (pale yellow on ScratchLive.net, bright yellow on Serato.com). The white is the same on both.
DJMark 6:23 AM - 9 September, 2010
I think Steve is referring to the background, which is grey on scratchlive.net's forums but mostly white when viewing forums on serato.com.

The result is that there's a lot more "white" when viewing on serato.com, especially on a bigger screen with the browser window also set big (or fullscreen).

Darkening the background image of the serato.com forums (as well as using the "old" yellow for new messages) would probably help a LOT.
Laz219 6:50 AM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
I think Steve is referring to the background, which is grey on scratchlive.net's forums but mostly white when viewing forums on serato.com.

The result is that there's a lot more "white" when viewing on serato.com, especially on a bigger screen with the browser window also set big (or fullscreen).

Darkening the background image of the serato.com forums (as well as using the "old" yellow for new messages) would probably help a LOT.

+1
dj_KaSE 7:02 AM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
1. Yes
2. I don't like serato.com because of the colors, the white hurts my eyes. I've always preferred the yellow background which is why I never switched over.

What he said.
dj_KaSE 7:03 AM - 9 September, 2010
Just make serato.com look like scratchlive.net and we should be good. Thanks.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:41 AM - 9 September, 2010
yeh defo prefer the layout of scracthlive.net forum..

Be good if serato forum was made to look like scratchlive.net.
Serato
dave 8:01 AM - 9 September, 2010
Thanks, keep it coming.

s3kn0tr0n1c - the layout is the same, everything is in the same place. Do you mean the colours or the borders or something?
illmatic 9:05 AM - 9 September, 2010
it's way too yellow,almost orange,it does hurt the eyes,thats my only gripe,fix the color tones and it's all good
Charlie Five 12:06 PM - 9 September, 2010
I never use the Serato forum just due to the COLOR SCEME...Hard on the eyes...
Dj-Pyro 12:08 PM - 9 September, 2010
The yellow hurts my eyes!!
Nicky Blunt 12:33 PM - 9 September, 2010
not overly impressed with the colour sceme of serato.com as a lot of other people ave said, I only ever use this site to access beta's that I cant seem to find anywhere else!

However it is only the colour scheme that keeps me away!

Fix that & I wont be so dissapointed ur killing scratchlive.net
BattleFunk 12:42 PM - 9 September, 2010
colour scheme is better on scratchlive.net

grey background, with pale yellow is better for older eyes ;)
RogerRabbit 1:29 PM - 9 September, 2010
I prefer serato.com over scratchlive.net
DJ DECK 2:45 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
1. Yes

+1
Free Man 3:02 PM - 9 September, 2010
I use an older version of internet explorer, this sucks because i can't view much of anything...
Free Man 3:03 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
I use an older version of internet explorer, this sucks because i can't view much of anything...

example: tracked discussions
Free Man 3:06 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:

example#2 list of threads.

i can see the discussions (dj... off topic) but can't see the next screens. just a bunch of yellow lines
Dj-Pyro 3:45 PM - 9 September, 2010
PLEASE change the colors!
BERTO 4:08 PM - 9 September, 2010
change the colors to the pale yellow the gold yellow on serato.com is annoying to the eyes after a while
DJ Prinvale` 4:35 PM - 9 September, 2010
the colors on serato.com are just not easy on the eyes. The yellow seems much more rash, and the solid white backround in contrast makes it hard on your eyes to figure out where they should focus.

At least make the colors more of a soft fall pallet. You can still keep the same theme and colors, but someone picked the harshest combination they could find.

Also, when Konix posted the poll asking what people used (serato.com vs scratchlive) and 90% of the people said scratchlive, don't you think you should have taken that into consideration when picking the color schemes?

overall I am disappointed with the change
boabmatic 4:45 PM - 9 September, 2010
I've been a serato.com convert for a long time now....

I went back to check the differences of scratchlive.net due to this post and the first thing that hit me was that the forum looks really dated compared to the one on serato.com... think its the skinny fonts & also the Toolbox looks pretty bad...

only thing I kinda see peoples point on is greyish background... it does make the screen less bright when looking at the forum for long periods of time. but its not really bothered me since I switched to serato.com
FunkyRob 4:51 PM - 9 September, 2010
My eyes hurt
dj_KaSE 4:54 PM - 9 September, 2010
Started using serato.com since last night and I think I'm going cross-eyed already.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:15 PM - 9 September, 2010
I prefer Serato.com. The yellow doesn't bother me at all and I like seeing the new posts in the bright color. overall, I feel serato.com is a lot more polished and scratchlive.net was forced to look like the old old version.

RIP Scratchlive.net. I hope that domain just forwards to serato.com forever.
dj-freestyle 7:40 PM - 9 September, 2010
Like dub said, keep it yellow. Im all for one site but the yellow is much better. by far.
djdannyd 9:16 PM - 9 September, 2010
I prefer Serato.com as well. Maybe I just got used to it.

After reading some of these comments I guess it's true how the colors are brighter on Serato.com. It's not the bright yellow but I'd guess that is the white background making it hard on the eyes. www.whitelabel.net is the same way (white background).
Serato
dave 10:03 PM - 9 September, 2010
Nice, we hear you loud and clear in regards to the yellow.

Good to see some positive feedback about Serato.com too.

Quote:
Also, when Konix posted the poll asking what people used (serato.com vs scratchlive) and 90% of the people said scratchlive

That might have been what the poll suggested, but it's not the case.

Traffic to Serato.com has been steadily increasing since its relaunch in 2008, and over the last year traffic to ScratchLive.net has been rapidly decreasing.

Currently Serato.com has around 4x the traffic of ScratchLive.net.

More people are logged into Serato.com at any time.

Many more new people sign up to Serato.com.

All of these have weighed heavily on our decision.
DJ Prinvale` 10:09 PM - 9 September, 2010
well that's because unless you have SL.net bookmarked it's pretty hard to find it ;)

herp derp da durp
Serato
dave 10:19 PM - 9 September, 2010
Ha :)

There are links to ScratchLive.net all over the internet, but we've seen that change over time too.
Serato
dave 10:21 PM - 9 September, 2010
... lots of links to Serato.com now too.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 11:19 PM - 9 September, 2010
Quote:
The result is that there's a lot more "white" when viewing on serato.com, especially on a bigger screen with the browser window also set big (or fullscreen)

Just about every website looks weird on a high res monitor with a max'ed out browser window.

scratchlive.net is a sea of grey, serato.com is an ocean of white. Both look silly.

I prefer serato.com to scratchlive.net primarily because I dislike scratchlive.net's hard edged borders on everything. That's harder on my eyes than particular color combinations.
BERTO 12:39 AM - 10 September, 2010
well its good you're listening to the yellow complaints
Nicky Blunt 2:37 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
well its good you're listening to the yellow complaints

+1
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:56 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
1. Yes

QUADRUPLE ditto....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:58 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:

What he said...
djdannyd 3:09 AM - 10 September, 2010
BTW,

On the "Check For Updates" under the set-up menu, when you click it - it automatically takes you to www.scratchlive.net

Might as well get it straight now that 2.1.1 is in beta. ;)
DJMark 3:30 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
scratchlive.net is a sea of grey, serato.com is an ocean of white. Both look silly.

Well, it looks like in the last 24 hours you've toned down the background...and using Adblock to kill the background images gives me about the same grey as scratchlive.net, so I can live with it now (though I still HATE the intense yellow). It may look silly, but it's not blasting my eyeballs with brightness (or distracting them with images that change position when a new page is loaded).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 3:54 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
Well, it looks like in the last 24 hours you've toned down the background...

Must be the placebo effect DJMark - we haven't changed anything yet ;)
DJMark 4:27 AM - 10 September, 2010
Yeah never mind, it was something I did on this end...
Serato
dave 4:44 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
BTW,

On the "Check For Updates" under the set-up menu, when you click it - it automatically takes you to www.scratchlive.net

Might as well get it straight now that 2.1.1 is in beta. ;)

Thanks for the reminder, that's now on our big long list of change.

Never fret though, everything will still work before the change. If you visit scratchlive.net/whatever/the/link you'll get redirected to serato.com/whatever/the/link which will show you (drumroll please.....) exactly the same stuff :)
rlaci 10:00 AM - 10 September, 2010
i much better like the old design. this new is too shiny and i dont know why you are closing a good thing cause of a bad thing

scratchlive.net forever!!!!!
Nicky Blunt 10:23 AM - 10 September, 2010
nothing is permanent, ur better off not getting attached to anything.
djdannyd 1:29 PM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:

miss your blanky?
radikarl 1:38 PM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
If you visit scratchlive.net/whatever/the/link you'll get redirected to serato.com/whatever/the/link which will show you (drumroll please.....) exactly the same stuff :)

great!
nik39 3:12 PM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
and using Adblock to kill the background images

Cool, that's what I did too.
tomatoslice 6:21 PM - 11 September, 2010
i like the style of scratchlive.net better. the coloring is easier to look at on the .net side.

i am not going to sit here and list what exactly the colors are that are better.
serato, you guys are the ones that know the EXACT differences. you tell us the differences or make it the same.

the .net site just looks better.
tomatoslice 6:23 PM - 11 September, 2010
the grey and light yellow is better than the white and orange.
MUCH easier on the eyes
tomatoslice 6:24 PM - 11 September, 2010
those hideous colors are enough for me not to come here nearly as often.
i can't look at this page anyomore...gbye
DJ_Phenom 6:48 AM - 12 September, 2010
Yeah i just went back and forth between the two on different threads and .net is MUCH easier on the eyes. I do like the modern design of serato.com but the color scheme is terrible...
radikarl 10:16 AM - 12 September, 2010
i prefer serato.com
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 4:19 PM - 12 September, 2010
.cum = donut wunt

.nit = is guud, i liikey
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 9:10 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
i like the style of scratchlive.net better. the coloring is easier to look at on the .net side.

i am not going to sit here and list what exactly the colors are that are better.
serato, you guys are the ones that know the EXACT differences. you tell us the differences or make it the same.

the .net site just looks better.

The problem with "it just looks better" is that visual design is totally subjective, which is a matter of opinion, rather than fact - this is why we want people to give details as to what it is that they like or dislike about both sites.

Quote:
the grey and light yellow is better than the white and orange.
MUCH easier on the eyes

The entire office here uses serato.com as opposed to scratchlive.net - and while it might be a bit hard on your eyes at first, they get used to it - from my personal experience, I have no issues reading on either site, with serato.com actually being BETTER because the font face and kerning makes the words a little clearer :)

Maybe it's time to put down the tomato's and start eating carrots ? ;)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:12 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:

The entire office here uses serato.com as opposed to scratchlive.net - and while it might be a bit hard on your eyes at first, they get used to it - from my personal experience, I have no issues reading on either site, with serato.com actually being BETTER because the font face and kerning makes the words a little clearer :)

Maybe it's time to put down the tomato's and start eating carrots ? ;)

Not to be brisk, but this almost sounds like a "Get used to it" message, vs taking what we're saying seriously.....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 9:25 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
Not to be brisk, but this almost sounds like a "Get used to it" message, vs taking what we're saying seriously.....

That wasn't the intent, just my personal opinion - we wouldn't be asking for feedback if we weren't considering easing the transition for some people.

In saying that, there's also a ton of people who use serato.com and are happy with it the way it is - it's going to be tough to balance transitional changes without stepping on the toes of the people who are happily using serato.com already.
DJMark 9:33 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
The entire office here uses serato.com as opposed to scratchlive.net - and while it might be a bit hard on your eyes at first, they get used to it

I suppose if my next door neighbors began operating a machine shop, the noise would be a bit hard on my ears at first but then I'd get used to it.

Seriously, how about creating user-selectable color/style preferences, if you're insistent on keeping this as default?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:35 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
it's going to be tough to balance transitional changes without stepping on the toes of the people who are happily using serato.com already.

This is what I think it will eventually come down to. Majority usually wins.

How about, you guys just make the colors of the board "Customizable" for each user?

Or just have different "Themes" available, as far as colors and fonts are concerned?

Then everybody would be happy.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:35 PM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:

Seriously, how about creating user-selectable color/style preferences, if you're insistent on keeping this as default?

We are RIGHT >>>>HERE<<<<<!
Nicky Blunt 12:07 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

miss your blanky?

not really im jus sayin, nothing is permanent. Sorry to spoil ur illusion!

Also, sant isnt real! & Neither is the easter bunny!

Hows that for pissing on ur chips?
DJ Prinvale` 1:01 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
The entire office here uses serato.com as opposed to scratchlive.net - and while it might be a bit hard on your eyes at first, they get used to it

that's a great idea. Most forums have that option.
djdannyd 1:07 AM - 13 September, 2010
Most forums don't care enough to ask for feedback.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 1:24 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:

I'd rather make some tweaks to serato.com based on the feedback provided here.

We're currently playing around with some toned down shades of yellow for unread messages/threads with new messages.
Nicky Blunt 1:25 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

We're currently playing around with some toned down shades of yellow for unread messages/threads with new messages.

awesome to hear!!! Im resisting the change untill its forced onto me!
Serato
dave 11:36 PM - 13 September, 2010
Buy some "forum orange" vinyl in our charity auction now! whitelabel.net

But seriously, we're playing with the new message colors now. We should have something for you to have a look at soon.
Dj-Pyro 8:05 AM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
Buy some "forum orange" vinyl in our charity auction now! whitelabel.net

But seriously, we're playing with the new message colors now. We should have something for you to have a look at soon.

Thanks!
tomatoslice 3:27 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:

The problem with "it just looks better" is that visual design is totally subjective, which is a matter of opinion, rather than fact -

thanks for the response, Eru. that is an interesting name btw. i like it. how would you pronounce that?

anyway...
yes, it is true that what "looks better" is subjective but not totally.
there is a science behind colors and at the very least there is "color harmony"
i haven't checked a color wheel yet but i would be certain that the .net yellow with the grey background is more in tune than the .com yellow-orange against the white, red, other shades of yellow and dark grey.

if you could provide the hexadecimal values for the basic colors of each site we may be able to give you better feedback.
Serato, Support
Matt G 3:36 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
i haven't checked a color wheel yet but i would be certain that the .net yellow with the grey background is more in tune than the .com yellow-orange against the white, red, other shades of yellow and dark grey.

In this case it's more of a matter of low contrast colour scheme versus high contrast colour scheme. scratchlive.net being the low contrast, serato.com being high contrast. The colours on serato.com match up with each other well, but the high contrast tends to irritate too many people.

I think the lesson there is that sites that people spend a lot of time on are better off having lower contrast colour schemes with less punchy colours. So I think the consensus is that we'll go with less punchy, less contrasty colours on serato.com in future.
tomatoslice 3:42 PM - 14 September, 2010
that would be freaking awesome, Matt. thank you.

i guess the best way for me to describe why the white is so harsh on the .com side is to describe my immediate feeling or thoughts when i view it.
it feels like someone is shining a bright light in my face.
a subdued grey background is simply easier on a person's eyes.

there is a basic psychology to colors that it seems you may be aware of and are taking into consideration.
thanks for asking for the input.
Steve Dub. 4:34 PM - 14 September, 2010
Thanks for taking our feedback seriously and doing something about it.

I know some forums let's the users customize the colors themselves. Is that out of the question?
tomatoslice 5:27 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
I know some forums let's the users customize the colors themselves. Is that out of the question?

they have not yet defined if it is out of the question or not.
another user asked if it was possible and Chris D answered.
Quote:

it is just so dominant that i don't have a lot of experience outside of phpbb.
are other non-php forums able to set user customizable themes?
also, is this forum a template theme from a manufacturer that offers schemes that serato can even offer?
DJ Prinvale` 5:31 PM - 14 September, 2010
@tomato : look into VB4. I've set up and run a few forums based on VB (vBulletin). You can set-up as many color schemes as you like and have users pick whatever they want. It's kind of a pain if you need to make certain changes though because then you have to change it for all the templates.

They've streamlined it quite a bit, but I'm still lazy, so yeah.

As far as I know, the serato.com / scratchlive.net forum was built in house from the ground up. Both good and bad. They have total control over everything (good), major upgrades, bug fixes, etc can take extra time (bad) because they don't have the manpower like VB does.
nik39 5:41 PM - 14 September, 2010
Greasemonkey FTW. However, not the solution for the masses I guess.
tomatoslice 8:10 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
As far as I know, the serato.com / scratchlive.net forum was built in house from the ground up. ...

due to an old email about the .org side of serato between me and a serato developer or web designer or IT guy or whatever he was i was lead to be believe the same thing.
Serato
dave 8:52 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
As far as I know, the serato.com / scratchlive.net forum was built in house from the ground up. Both good and bad. They have total control over everything (good), major upgrades, bug fixes, etc can take extra time (bad) because they don't have the manpower like VB does.

Part of our reason for closing ScratchLive.net is to allow us to fix and make things faster.

Quote:
serato developer or web designer or IT guy or whatever he was

Maybe all of the above?! I was wondering why I recognized your name, tomatoslice.
Serato
dave 9:01 PM - 14 September, 2010
Here are some screenshots of us applying the ScratchLive.net yellow to Serato.com.

Personally, I don't think it fits in as well as the current yellow, but it is certainly softer, which may make it easier to read the new messages.
9:01 PM, 14 Sep 2010
dave attached a file: forum.png
View· Permalink
9:02 PM, 14 Sep 2010
dave attached a file: area.png
View· Permalink
9:03 PM, 14 Sep 2010
dave attached a file: thread.png
View· Permalink
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:08 PM - 14 September, 2010
not bad, I can stand it
djdannyd 9:12 PM - 14 September, 2010
I still find the white background to be a little bit harsh on the eyes. Light gray background would be awesome.

As far as the yellow, is better than the current.
nik39 9:52 PM - 14 September, 2010
I kind liked the grey background around the content. I felt kinda list when the whole background area is white, but the content itself just covers a small area.

Also it would be nice if we could turn the background images off. I have them filtered out with adblock but this won't work on my Android browser.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:22 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
also, is this forum a template theme from a manufacturer that offers schemes that serato can even offer?

No. The forum is developed in-house. If we want features we have to build them ourselves.

Quote:
Also it would be nice if we could turn the background images off.

Why? Are they ugly? Unnecessary? Cluttering?
nik39 10:29 PM - 14 September, 2010
Unnecessary+Cluttering: yes.

Ugly: I'll leave that to someone else to judge.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
Here are some screenshots of us applying the ScratchLive.net yellow to Serato.com.

Personally, I don't think it fits in as well as the current yellow, but it is certainly softer, which may make it easier to read the new messages.

Not bad, however, on the 3rd snapshot, you show a quote, which has YELLOW, inside of YELLOW, with no outline border to distinquish the embedded quote from the rest of the post...

Oh, and an "edit" button would be nice :)
Serato
dave 11:46 PM - 14 September, 2010
Nah, it has a different yellow background and a border. Download it and look closer.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
Nah, it has a different yellow background and a border. Download it and look closer.

OK.
nik39 11:56 PM - 14 September, 2010
Quote:
Here are some screenshots of us applying the ScratchLive.net yellow to Serato.com

*chuckles at DJ ALLCAPS*
11:56 PM, 14 Sep 2010
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 attached a file: johnnythread.JPG
View· Permalink
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 PM - 14 September, 2010
I dunno man, maybe I just don't see it, but I just attached what I mean by an "outline".

Peep it.
tomatoslice 12:12 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

Quote:
serato developer or web designer or IT guy or whatever he was

Maybe all of the above?! I was wondering why I recognized your name, tomatoslice.

if you are Dave George then you remember correct org thing correct.
i am glad we got that all worked out and hate that it took so long. there was another guy that took over for you. he is the one that made me realize everything was in-house.

as far as the images you loaded on the new colors, if i had to deal with a compromise for a more subdued color it works well...still...a light grey background would be rad.
but you aren't building the site for me specifically, are you?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 12:13 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
I dunno man, maybe I just don't see it

Really? It's there, honest :-)

The quote block is different shade of yellow and has a border that's a slightly brown-ish shade of yellow.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I dunno man, maybe I just don't see it

Really? It's there, honest :-)

The quote block is different shade of yellow and has a border that's a slightly brown-ish shade of yellow.

Take a look at the one I provided, and tell me if it doesn't add a better definition.

The reason why I say this, is because we do multiple quotes A LOT, and it could look real confusing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:49 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

but you aren't building the site for me specifically, are you?

YES!

****pushes tomatoslice out of the spotlight*****

Strike his comment from the transcript please....

Thank you!
Serato, Support
ChrisD 1:02 AM - 15 September, 2010
OK, maybe I misunderstood you Johnny.

You said the quote box has "no outline border". It does have a border, but maybe you meant that it wasn't as clear as you'd like.

As for your example, yes - we could stick hard black outlines around everything to make them "clearer" but then we'd end up with a website that looks like it was designed for Windows 3.1 :-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:06 AM - 15 September, 2010
Hey, I did DOS...

But yeah, I was referring to the soft border around the actual "quote" not the "quote box"...lol.

Thanks for the work though....I'm sure you guys will make errybody happy.
DJ Prinvale` 1:09 AM - 15 September, 2010
pretty amazing chris and dave are going through all this just to make us happy about a forum.

+1 on serato support/customer interaction even if it means it's not exactly what everybody wants but a middle-ground!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:16 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
colour scheme is better on scratchlive.net

grey background, with pale yellow is better for older eyes ;)

+1

I like the grey background and the pale yellow.

Serato.com does play better with my iPhone so that is a plus but on my Macbook, the yellow is too bright and the white borders are even brighter - LOL

How about the ability to skin the forum - grey/dull yellow or white/bright yellow...

[ And add signatures and avitars while you are at it ]
Serato
dave 1:20 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
As for your example, yes - we could stick hard black outlines around everything to make them "clearer" but then we'd end up with a website that looks like it was designed for Windows 3.1 :-)

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:22 AM - 15 September, 2010
Hey can we get the Youtube POP UP VIEWER for IMAGES like the posts above - that is sweet as hell.

usually after a time on the forum many of us have multiple tabs - image pop ups like youtube would be cool!

Quote:
Quote:

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com

SWEET! - LOL - it's like AOL in 1998 - where a A/S/L thread
Serato
dave 1:23 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
How about the ability to skin the forum - grey/dull yellow or white/bright yellow...

[ And add signatures and avitars while you are at it ]

Skin - definitely not.
Sigs - probably not.
Serato
dave 1:29 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Hey can we get the Youtube POP UP VIEWER for IMAGES like the posts above - that is sweet as hell.

usually after a time on the forum many of us have multiple tabs - image pop ups like youtube would be cool!

Glad you like :)

Having 1 website will make it faster for us to make cool features like that.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 1:43 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

Yeah, definitely. It's on my todo list.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the "too bright" comments made by various people. I work in front of a 24" monitor all day (ie. plenty of screen real estate) and I have no issues with brightness.

I find the higher inherent contrast of a white background means that I can wind the brightness down a bit on my monitor. Generally speaking I find white backgrounds easier on my eyes.
nik39 1:43 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com

Muahahahaaha :)
DJ Prinvale` 1:46 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, definitely. It's on my todo list.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the "too bright" comments made by various people. I work in front of a 24" monitor all day (ie. plenty of screen real estate) and I have no issues with brightness.

I find the higher inherent contrast of a white background means that I can wind the brightness down a bit on my monitor. Generally speaking I find white backgrounds easier on my eyes.

on my 30" cinema display it really is harsh on the eyes. I think I've just been trained to make fall/soft type colors all to often so the drastic bright yellow on flat white is pretty rough.
Serato, Support
Matt G 1:46 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Generally speaking I find white backgrounds easier on my eyes.

Likewise. I wonder if it's to do with whether people are generally in a brightly lit room or a dark room when viewing.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:14 AM - 15 September, 2010
You guys should just deal with it and let Serato focus on DJ software.

Jeez almighty.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:20 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

Jeez almighty.

You know they hire different people for different things. The web/forum guys probably do nothing to help the SSL software along except get coffee and donuts for the guys that broke SSL with 2.1?

Correct??? (j/k)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:24 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com

Now you KNOW damn well, that is SOMEBODY'S home page out there in Seratoland...right?

Y'all ain't foolin' nobody...

Who's it it?
nik39 2:29 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Jeez almighty.

You know they hire different people for different things. The web/forum guys probably do nothing to help the SSL software along except get coffee and donuts for the guys that broke SSL with 2.1?

rotfl! :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:32 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeez almighty.

If Art is representing the Serato.com side, then y'all can let that statement stand...

If he's representing the Scratchlive.net side, PLEASE STRIKE HIS COMMENTS FROM THE TRANSCRIPT, for he knows not what he says....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:39 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeez almighty.

If Art is representing the Serato.com side, then y'all can let that statement stand...

If he's representing the Scratchlive.net side, PLEASE STRIKE HIS COMMENTS FROM THE TRANSCRIPT, for he knows not what he says....

Actually I have 2 tabs in Firefox open now - weening myself over to the UGLY White and yellow Serato.com (posting this in that one now).

Will flip back to Scratchlive in a minute to rest my eyes.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:58 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeez almighty.

Actually I have 2 tabs in Firefox open now - weening myself over to the UGLY White and yellow Serato.com (posting this in that one now).

Will flip back to Scratchlive in a minute to rest my eyes.

Oh, so you're one of "US".

So, as your newly appointed Attorney, I am advising that you invoke your RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, and let us get as much of that cool, calm, easy on the eyes "Yellow", that they are so graciously working on for us, before you cause a mistrail, and us diehard Scratchlive.net users wind up in "Old Sparky".
Serato
dave 3:05 AM - 15 September, 2010
You've lost me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:16 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
You've lost me.

Art made a comment about 2.x. And that would be OK if he was rooting for the Serato.com page, as somebody could take revenge against him, and keep the Scratchlive.net format.

BUT since he's down with Scratchlive.net, we needed to shut him up..
Serato
dave 3:22 AM - 15 September, 2010
Still lost.
Serato
dave 3:27 AM - 15 September, 2010
Anyway...

Is anyone else keen to speak up about moving to Serato.com?

T -5 days.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:31 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Anyway...

Is anyone else keen to speak up about moving to Serato.com?

T -5 days.

Did you get the donuts for the SSL 2.1 team yet?

Seriously, I remember reading somewhere that web/forum guys are different department than the SL software development guys - correct?
Serato
dave 3:34 AM - 15 September, 2010
Yep, we all do different stuff.

Web team doesn't code DJ software.
DJ team doesn't code web software.
Accounts lady doesn't design The Bridge.
General Manager doesn't restock the fridge.
Serato
dave 3:35 AM - 15 September, 2010
Oops, unintentional rhymes.
nik39 3:37 AM - 15 September, 2010
Web team raps though :-P
Serato
dave 3:45 AM - 15 September, 2010
In other web news twitter is also changing: twitter.com
Dj-Pyro 4:34 AM - 15 September, 2010
Maybe you guys should give the accounting lady a shot at designing The Bridge.
Serato
dave 9:12 AM - 15 September, 2010
Genius, then we'll hire you as our CEO #SOUNDSLIKEAGREATPLAN
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:40 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Yep, we all do different stuff..

Ah, now I understand why.

But the important part is that Art is to remain on the GOOD SIDE of the Website coding team....

****just glad you've got nothing to do with 2.1****whew***
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:42 AM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

dammit, what side are you on again? Serato.com or Scratchlive.net?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:03 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

She helped on 2.1 and looked what happened.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

She helped on 2.1 and looked what happened.

YOUR HONOR!!!!

MAY I HAVE A WORD WITH MY CLIENT????!!!!
tomatoslice 4:28 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:

i discovered this too. i looked at the .net and .com sites from different comps.
the ones set with a higher brightness like the macs used for Vjing made the .com site harsh to look at. the PCs and various sizes of monitors used for gaming and graphics that were set to lower brightness weren't as bad.

when there is a blend of colors like the yellow against a grey for design work you almost have to have the brightness higher to see the different nuances. for general use it works tho. it's clear that much of this is personal preference but a much more probably has to do with the hardware, especially the settings and why they are that way.
tomatoslice 4:29 PM - 15 September, 2010
bringing the bridge into this is sooo messed up.
djpuma_gemini 4:50 PM - 15 September, 2010
I prefer serato.com over scratchlive.net, but the school bus yellow is really bright compared to the colors of scratchlive.net

Anyone using ie for a web browser should switch to either firefox or chrome and of course a mac.
DjWoody 5:04 PM - 15 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com

Oh man! Geocities... you just gave me goosebumps.
Henry GQ 7:25 PM - 15 September, 2010
ummm. the yellow on sertao is toooooooooo BRIGHT!!!

thats why i go to scratchlive.net
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:30 PM - 15 September, 2010
Henry, did you have a look at the mock-ups of serato.com using softer yellows that Dave attached to this thread yesterday? Is that an improvement for you?
DeezNotes 12:20 AM - 16 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Like this?!

wonder-tonic.com

This made my day. lol
Logisticalstyles 3:07 PM - 16 September, 2010
I'm not very fond of the serato.com page.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 8:29 PM - 16 September, 2010
Quote:

Care to elaborate on this one Logicalstyles ?
DJMark 10:30 PM - 16 September, 2010
I think the lighter yellows would be a hell of an improvement.
DeezNotes 11:05 PM - 16 September, 2010
The problem has always been the harsh yellows. Some people don't like it. I know I didn't at first. Honestly, I still don't particularly care for it. It looks as if there is some improvements to be made when I see the site, but I live with it. I'm one of the few that HAD to switch when ITCH was released.

I honestly can't tell you what to change. I don't know what'll make it better. But I can say that I wish the fonts were different. And I wish those yellows were accent colors rather than primary focus colors. Pull up an unread thread on a mobile phone, sit the phone down and look at it from a distance. You shouldn't have to read off of that. Seriously. That's why people talk about their eyes exploding. lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:26 AM - 17 September, 2010
Remember how the versions of SSL were always better/first on a Mac. I wonder if the Serato Web Dev team codes the forum primarily on Windows computers (which display color differently than Macs) which is why the yellow maybe looks "ok" to them.

hmmmmm.....

While we are on the subject, what percentage of computers visiting the site are Mac based .vs Windows. Back in my Mac fanboy daze when I first came here (2007), the forum/SSL users had to be at least 60-70% Windows users - now it is probably reversed or more like 50/50 minimum?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 12:33 AM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
I wonder if the Serato Web Dev team codes the forum primarily on Windows computers.

The web team are all on Mac's.

Quote:
Back in my Mac fanboy daze when I first came here (2007), the forum/SSL users had to be at least 60-70% Windows users - now it is probably reversed or more like 50/50 minimum?

Yep, the traffic is split roughly 50/50.
Logisticalstyles 1:01 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Care to elaborate on this one Logicalstyles ?

Mainly it's the yellow. There's something about the way it looks with the white background that draws peoples attention to my screen. They quickly realize this isn't a work related site. Also, the scratchlive.net yellow is much softer on the eyes.
nik39 1:37 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
They quickly realize this isn't a work related site.

Haha.
boabmatic 5:30 PM - 17 September, 2010
Dont know if I've just been using .com too much but the .net yellow just looks really washed out...

The more I've been switching between .com .net and the new mock ups I am more in favour of the current .com colours...
DJMark 7:07 AM - 19 September, 2010
Well I've been trying to live with Serato.com and my opinion of the (Traffic-Sign) / (Road-Stripe) / (Urine-After-Too-Many-Vitamins) Yellow hasn't budged one bit.
Logisticalstyles 4:27 PM - 19 September, 2010
Quote:
(Urine-After-Too-Many-Vitamins) Yellow

lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:51 AM - 20 September, 2010
hey, someone turned the saturation down on my serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 3:56 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
hey, someone turned the saturation down on my serato.com

Don't look at me :/
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:58 AM - 20 September, 2010
I like (Urine-After-Too-Many-Vitamins) Yellow better
DJ_Phenom 4:12 AM - 20 September, 2010
This is better
dj_KaSE 4:13 AM - 20 September, 2010
I likes. Thank you very much, Serato staff.
=)
ninos 4:15 AM - 20 September, 2010
I HATE THE NEW YELLOW. give us back the old orange/yellow! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:17 AM - 20 September, 2010
Ok, I might could rock with this...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:17 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:

Quote testing....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:18 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote testing....

Once more....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:18 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote testing....

Once more....

One mo' gin
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:19 AM - 20 September, 2010
I still think multiple quotes would get confusing...
jbnyc 4:20 AM - 20 September, 2010
awwwwww they took our yellow away to make it up for shutting down your gay ass scratchlive.net site!!! how cute!!

now GIVE US BACK OUR ORANGE/YELLOW!!! i feel like my video card is overheating or something! lol
Serato
Glenn M 4:28 AM - 20 September, 2010
The UV rays from the sun faded my yellow forum messages to this pale ear-wax colour!
DJBIGWIZ 4:33 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
The UV rays from the sun faded my yellow forum messages to this pale ear-wax colour.

+1 I thought something was wrong with my screen or my eyes... I started looking around the room at other things to see if everything looked different so I could get my eyes checked out. haha... I don't like the new look.
nik39 4:36 AM - 20 September, 2010
lol. It looks a little bit too pale, esp. with the burning red characters. But we're on the the right path.
Konix 4:43 AM - 20 September, 2010
I like the sl.net yellow, but not on this white background.
jbnyc 4:47 AM - 20 September, 2010
im glad at least they left the white background :) gray background is kinda windows 95 and shit lol
latindj 5:14 AM - 20 September, 2010
just make the forum colors match SSL greys n blacks...
jbnyc 5:17 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:

that would be awesome!!!
dj_KaSE 5:30 AM - 20 September, 2010
DJs are such whiney little bitches. Can never satisfy you fuckers.
DJMark 5:39 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
lol. It looks a little bit too pale, esp. with the burning red characters. But we're on the the right path.

Looks to me like the same shade of yellow as scratchlive.net (?)

Anyway, huge improvement.

Many thanks!
Caliber 5:59 AM - 20 September, 2010
new look sucks
wrosenbl12 6:23 AM - 20 September, 2010
don't like the new look
nik39 6:24 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Looks to me like the same shade of yellow as scratchlive.net (?)

Maybe. Have not been using SL.net for a long time.
SuckaDJ 6:42 AM - 20 September, 2010
COT DAMN! nobody told me this was an ALL WHITE party!
sacrilicious 8:17 AM - 20 September, 2010
Been using serato.com for ages, but the new yellow is awful.
Serato, Support
Matt G 8:19 AM - 20 September, 2010
Wait, is this the new yellow? Or the old yellow? Or the old new yellow? I'm confused.
Maskrider 8:20 AM - 20 September, 2010
Definitely changed the Color scheme.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:00 AM - 20 September, 2010
you know I try to keep a generally positive attitude here but caving on changing serato.com for the vocal minority isn't sitting well with me. I personally thought Serato.com was a stunning website with a complete design. The current serato.com looks washed out and weakened. Stick to your guns web team, don't let anyone convince you that a certain color is hurting their eyes. Jeez, you didn't come up with that design by accident right?

That bold yellow makesmade a statement.
Logisticalstyles 9:40 AM - 20 September, 2010
I like this better.
djticonyc 10:10 AM - 20 September, 2010
im on a windows pc btw 22" widescreen. this new color hurts my eyes...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:39 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
you know I try to keep a generally positive attitude here but caving on changing serato.com for the vocal minority isn't sitting well with me. I personally thought Serato.com was a stunning website with a complete design. The current serato.com looks washed out and weakened. Stick to your guns web team, don't let anyone convince you that a certain color is hurting their eyes. Jeez, you didn't come up with that design by accident right?

Dude, it's called a COMPROMISE.
blackavenger 11:40 AM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
not overly impressed with the colour sceme of serato.com as a lot of other people ave said, I only ever use this site to access beta's that I cant seem to find anywhere else!

However it is only the colour scheme that keeps me away!

Fix that & I wont be so dissapointed ur killing scratchlive.net

It's obvious that Y'all changed from the ghastly Oarnge-ish to the subtle Yellow, which is great......now if you could only change the background from the retina burning White to a "easier on the eyes" Grey.....all would be perfect in Serato land.
ninos 1:46 PM - 20 September, 2010
yea it actually hurts the eyes, this yellow is wayyy to pale/ugly, we want the old one back :)
nik39 1:55 PM - 20 September, 2010
No way. It looks fine on my android :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:33 PM - 20 September, 2010
CHIMMICHANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:09 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Johnny, your quotes are much easier to read with the old yellow,

Quote:
Quote:
#justsaying
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:26 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
#justsaying

Maybe on Serato.com because you're used to it, but I think this is a happy medium.

This must be the quickest that anybody's gotten me to stop complaining about something.
HYDRO MATIC 3:51 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
I HATE THE NEW YELLOW. give us back the old orange/yellow! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

How hard would it be to code an option similar to other forums that I wont mention...
jbnyc 4:07 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

How hard would it be to code an option similar to other forums that I wont mention...

Great idea!!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:20 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Jeez, you didn't come up with that design by accident right?

I hear the web team asked the lady in accounting what were her favorite colors while she was on break from working on coding SSL 2.1. She said White and Orange/Yellow - hence the forum color.

I guess old girl carries a lot of weight around the SSL camp, she is involved in everything.

: )

I like this Yellow better but could go a little darker. Where is my pantone color wheel with the Web Safe colors.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:24 PM - 20 September, 2010
LOL, somebody elsewhere on the forum said - only way to read the forum now on a Mac is:
Control + Option+ Apple +8 = Inverted

: )
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:38 PM - 20 September, 2010
You honor, my client is clearly out of his head. I suggest a recess.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:53 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
#justsaying

Maybe on Serato.com because you're used to it, but I think this is a happy medium.

This must be the quickest that anybody's gotten me to stop complaining about something.

great, so you admit that you can get used to the bold yellow. I'm glad we are clear on that.

I'm calling the current yellow "whiney old man yellow"
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:59 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
#justsaying

great, so you admit that you can get used to the bold yellow. I'm glad we are clear on that.

I'm calling the current yellow "whiney old man yellow"

No, I hate the BOLD Yellow. I like this "Distinguished Gentlemen's Hue" thank you very much.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:01 PM - 20 September, 2010
this yellow reminds me of my Grandma's bathroom
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:03 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
this yellow reminds me of my Grandma's bathroom

And all the good times you had in there.....

TMI man...
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:05 PM - 20 September, 2010
my daughter's doll is here on the table next to my laptop and it's shirt is the exact same hue as this new yellow.

baby doll yellow
latindj 5:17 PM - 20 September, 2010
Ok dub cowboy....put the tea cups down and gather yourself man! lol

can't we just have greys and blacks like in the ssl proggy?
DjWoody 7:12 PM - 20 September, 2010
It's not the yellow. It's the white. Make it gray and we'll be back in business. This scheme hurts my eyes too.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:25 PM - 20 September, 2010
Can we have a layout option? And When will scratchlive.com support album art??
jbnyc 7:27 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
It's not the yellow. It's the white. Make it gray and we'll be back in business. This scheme hurts my eyes too.

IMO the gray makes it boring, so does this pale yellow!! we're gonna lose some good dj's if they dont change it back to yellow/orange o.O (putting some pressure) lol
DJBlisk 9:59 PM - 20 September, 2010
I don't care about boring, the color combo hurts my eyes.
Res-Q 11:10 PM - 20 September, 2010
I havent read this loooong post, but I agree 100% with DJMark's 1st post. Basically that new pale yellow is horrible on mac, pc & iphone. Bring back the old yellow please. The white contrasts hurt my poor old eyes.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:12 PM - 20 September, 2010
Looks GREAT on my PC.
DJ_Phenom 11:20 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Looks GREAT on my PC.
DJ Stoyvo 11:33 PM - 20 September, 2010
WTF happened? Holy crap this washed-down yellow is burning my eyes. Are you TRYING to keep me away from the board? The Darker the orange the better. At least the brightness of the page won't BLIND you.

Okay that was a little harsh, but seriously I can't see what i'm typing right now.
bill-e 11:51 PM - 20 September, 2010
make the whole page yellow, or bring scratch live and can serato.com :)
Nicky Blunt 12:23 AM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
I like this better.

Quote:
Quote:
Looks GREAT on my PC.
DJMark 2:33 AM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
I havent read this loooong post, but I agree 100% with DJMark's 1st post. Basically that new pale yellow is horrible on mac, pc & iphone. Bring back the old yellow please. The white contrasts hurt my poor old eyes.

It really looks better with AdBlock nuking all the background images, and some Greasemonkey scripts (among other things) setting the background to light grey. Readability under those conditions is similar to the old scratchlive.net forums.

I do think there's some logical reasons that yellow is used relatively rarely as text-background on websites. I recall reading (quite awhile ago) that yellow shades have the most variability between different monitors. So I'm not real surprised that there's widely differing opinions about the "right" shade of yellow...we're all seeing different things.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 3:12 AM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
we're all seeing different things

I'm sure you're right about that. The yellows do vary a little on the monitors that I've viewed them on (but only a little).

Display settings will definitely influence the overall appearance of the website. I can't help but wonder what brightness and contrast settings are used by people who say that a white background is too bright.

White backgrounds are used all over the internet (google.com anyone?) - they provide the best readability. If the white is burning your retinas then your display is configured with some weird settings, IMO.
Konix 4:12 AM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Greasemonkey scripts (among other things) setting the background to light grey.

Care to share that Greasemonkey script?
blackavenger 5:43 AM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
we're all seeing different things

I'm sure you're right about that. The yellows do vary a little on the monitors that I've viewed them on (but only a little).

Display settings will definitely influence the overall appearance of the website. I can't help but wonder what brightness and contrast settings are used by people who say that a white background is too bright.

White backgrounds are used all over the internet (google.com anyone?) - they provide the best readability. If the white is burning your retinas then your display is configured with some weird settings, IMO.

Yeah, and if I could get Google to soften their "white" background I would. Come on guys, please dull the background a bit. I would even settle for the orange text bodies being returned, if we could only have a softer (darker) background.

Quote:
Quote:
Greasemonkey scripts (among other things) setting the background to light grey.

Care to share that Greasemonkey script?

I too, am interested to know.
BattleFunk 11:32 AM - 21 September, 2010
The white bg is too bright with the faded yellow and looks... er... shit. Sorry.

in reference to the google comment - yes it also has a white bg, but you dont sit for 10 minutes reading the page, you click the first link and move on

I skimmed loads of this page and even then I got tired of looking at the bright screen

looking at the plus side of this, I wont spend as much time here reading/posting all the hate lol :p
boabmatic 1:02 PM - 21 September, 2010
I'm missing the darker yellow too......Its not exactly "burning my eyes" but I do prefer the original serato.com yellow...
ZESH! 1:35 PM - 21 September, 2010
I heard that the site won't look good if you're using AMD processors. (Sorry couldn't help it) I'm suprised no one threatened to jump to traktor if these colors weren't changed.

Looks great on mine. KEEP IT!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:47 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
I'm suprised no one threatened to jump to traktor if these colors weren't changed

I don't think anybody here is THAT STUPID.... LOL.
DeezNotes 2:03 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

that would be awesome!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a sample screen shot of what that would look like.

Weren't the serato.com colors based off of ITCH anyways?
ZESH! 2:53 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I'm suprised no one threatened to jump to traktor if these colors weren't changed

Hell...Some are stupid enough to do it for AutoStink, why not this?
But that's another thread
DJBlisk 3:36 PM - 21 September, 2010
I love the colors on this forum. It doesn't hurt the eyes!!

www.solecollector.com
jbnyc 3:40 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
I love the colors on this forum. It doesn't hurt the eyes!!

www.solecollector.com

+1 i also like the fact that u can see the pics without opening another or tab window
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:04 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Never underestimate an idiot.
DJBlisk 6:12 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never underestimate an idiot.

You guys should really do some research on Traktor these days before you play the homer card.

I am a serato guy but with the below average software releases and Traktor's capabilities... it isn't a big difference anymore.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:14 PM - 21 September, 2010
Hell, I already KNOW that Traktor is overseas what Serato is here in the US.

But Stay TUNED...

That's all I"mma say.
DJ Prinvale` 6:18 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Hell, I already KNOW that Traktor is overseas what Serato is here in the US.

But Stay TUNED...

That's all I"mma say.

Auckland is in the US?
djdannyd 6:37 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:

Auckland is in the US?

yes it is. It's 7937 miles southwest of Kansas.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:14 PM - 21 September, 2010
@ Blisk - I use Traktor on occasion when I play out with another DJ - its like playing a album cut .vs 12 inch vinyl. You have to baby it and be really careful - ok for House but sucks for Rap & Hot Garbage - not as user friendly or intuitive
DMIXDJ 7:17 PM - 21 September, 2010
Just to Chip in. I have always avoided using Serato.com as I didnt like the Design. Have been avoiding it, past 2 years.

Think it's also down to the Brightness, Colors etc.

The Scratch Live Site was far more Friendly on the Eye for a Laid back perusal at the Forums.

This is Emergency Use only. :-(
Res-Q 7:44 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
It really looks better with AdBlock nuking all the background images, and some Greasemonkey scripts (among other things) setting the background to light grey. Readability under those conditions is similar to the old scratchlive.net forums.

Hey Mark I'm sorry but when you speak in japanese I dont understand ish. ;)
RogerRabbit 8:27 PM - 21 September, 2010
Liked the old yellow of serato.com.... now a few days later... I am accustomed to this new color.

You can't please everyone..

Btw - I am against an EDIT button... I like the fact that people can't go and backtrack and change the content of their posts later..
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:59 PM - 21 September, 2010
Quote:
Btw - I am against an EDIT button... I like the fact that people can't go and backtrack and change the content of their posts later..

Many forums have a time limit - 5 minutes or so and it is locked and committed - that way you can't go back Months or Years Later and change the post where you said Lil Wayne and Drake are "one hit wonders".
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:42 AM - 22 September, 2010
Quote:

The Scratch Live Site was far more Friendly on the Eye for a Laid back perusal at the Forums.

This is Emergency Use only. :-(

LOL! Exactly!

Break glass in case of Emergency.

Classic.
marcA 12:16 PM - 22 September, 2010
wish the orange was kept instead of that fake yellow..
DJ Stoyvo 2:12 PM - 22 September, 2010
Quote:

Websites with white backgrounds are perfectly fine, but when everything is bright it gets very annoying and hard to see. This forum has a white background, very washed down yellow, grey text (in some places), grey background for navigation.... Can we get some darker colours to offset the white a little?
DJ Stoyvo 2:13 PM - 22 September, 2010
Maybe add black borders to the content areas, darken posts with #c9c9c9, use blue for quotes, etc?
jbnyc 3:52 PM - 22 September, 2010
Quote:
wish the orange was kept instead of that fake yellow..

+100

I dont think they are going to change anything,pretty much we r just wasting our time bitchin' lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:31 PM - 22 September, 2010
on my iphone, I keep getting flashes of the old yellow/orange and it looks much better than the "bloody baby blanket"

is it possible to have an official poll, where everyone votes instead of complains. make it compulsory so we all have to see it when we log in. then we can get to the bottom of this.
Corex 3:16 AM - 23 September, 2010
bring back the old colors... please!!
Nicky Blunt 12:30 PM - 23 September, 2010
i knew this would happen! All the OG scratchlive users would complain, eventually get thier way, & then the serato.com users would complain that to accomodate us their forum has been ruined.

How to please everyone?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 PM - 23 September, 2010
Like I said LOOKS GREAT on my PC.
jbnyc 2:09 PM - 23 September, 2010
BUY A MAC!! ....ups wrong thread lol

Like he said,make a poll!!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:17 PM - 23 September, 2010
Quote:
i knew this would happen! All the OG scratchlive users would complain, eventually get thier way, & then the serato.com users would complain that to accomodate us their forum has been ruined.

How to please everyone?

Send everybody FREE white control vinyl?

Actually I finally got used to the CURRENT white and yellow - it works for me.
Konix 5:46 PM - 23 September, 2010
Gray background, no background image...

main forum page... i48.photobucket.com
subforum with new posts (yellow) and no new (white)... i48.photobucket.com
no new... i48.photobucket.com
in thread, no new... i48.photobucket.com
in thread, with new... i48.photobucket.com
Corex 5:58 PM - 23 September, 2010
Quote:

Dislike. Just go back to the old color scheme – everything else is fine! Or please make an option to choose between current and old under personal options.
blackavenger 8:31 PM - 23 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Or please make an option to choose between current and old under personal options.

You know, that's a valid point. I belong to "several" forums that let you choose from a list of themes. Though I've never seen this option from a company's site, it might be cool for Serato to break the mold of this arrogant behavior. After all, they have the "alleged" best customer service in the industry, why not go a step further and give us multiple themes for the forum. Most sites throw a contest for designers to come up with several themes, the forum members vote on the best of the lot, then the designers win a prize of some sort. Serato could outline certain criteria that the designers would have to follow, ie; certain color pallets, textures, etc.. So the labor of coming up with multiple themes wouldn't even befall on the Serato team themselves, to develop. I think it's a great idea!
nik39 8:53 PM - 23 September, 2010
Quote:
it might be cool for Serato to break the mold of this arrogant behavior.

I don't think this is arrogan behaviour. Just keep it simple and stupid. Try to find the best solution rather than making everyhing configurable - this can be alienating for new users. (Talking in general, not only about the forum).
msoultan 1:26 AM - 24 September, 2010
I just thought I'd comment that I liked the colors of the other site - it was much easier on the eyes than this version, which is why I never switched over...
blackavenger 5:02 AM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
it might be cool for Serato to break the mold of this arrogant behavior.

I don't think this is arrogan behaviour. Just keep it simple and stupid. Try to find the best solution rather than making everyhing configurable - this can be alienating for new users. (Talking in general, not only about the forum).

Cool, anyone else have an opinion on my suggestion?
Serato
dave 8:37 AM - 24 September, 2010
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback, my take on this change is..

Some people who were using ScratchLive.net disliked the previous Serato.com new message colour (bright orange) and said things like "it hurts my eyes".

Some people who have been using Serato.com for a while now dislike the change to the current new message colour (pale yellow) and say things like "it hurts my eyes".

It seems that what some people dislike is change, and the colour is a symptom of change. What colour is best is subjective.

Please understand that while we may not be changing anything right now (because we're working on future web stuff), we are reading your feedback, and we will be taking your feedback into consideration for future changes to the site.
marcA 8:41 AM - 24 September, 2010
@dave, sure it is a question of habit, but pulling the plug on a site and change an existing one to accomodate the termination seems strange and does not help the transition imho (yes i'de rather see the orange back :) )
boabmatic 10:49 AM - 24 September, 2010
think changing the yellow smoothed the transition and was a smart move by the serato web guys...

by changing the colour to a more .net feel all the .net user have moved over to .com with little fuss or complaints.
It has annoyed a few .com users but now that we are all on the one site serato can now make changes to content & layout much easier.

I did prefer the darker yellow but at the end of the day its not going to stop me spending all day reading the forums ;-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:42 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
think changing the yellow smoothed the transition and was a smart move by the serato web guys...

by changing the colour to a more .net feel all the .net user have moved over to .com with little fuss or complaints.

Exactly. +100
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 PM - 24 September, 2010
Actually, this was about the fairest thing they could have done, short of user personalized settings.

.Net users suffer a little with the still WHITE background.

.Com user suffer a little with the change to a lighter YELLOW background.

Not one set of users has to just "suck it up". It's a balanced trade off.

Everybody has a little change to adjust to.

Good Move.
marcA 1:47 PM - 24 September, 2010
if it would have been the other way around, would you still stand by that statement? guess not...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:48 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
if it would have been the other way around, would you still stand by that statement? guess not...

How are you going to answer "for me"?
marcA 1:53 PM - 24 September, 2010
to guess :
a. To predict (a result or an event) without sufficient information.
b. To assume, presume, or assert (a fact) without sufficient information.

don't take this all to seriously....seriously
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:55 PM - 24 September, 2010
Ok, all done without sufficient info...gotcha.

Quote:

don't take this all to seriously....seriously

Nope, I was just hoping you weren't.
marcA 1:59 PM - 24 September, 2010
hell no :)
i just like oranges better than lemons :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:03 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:

Then you should be having this discussion with sixxx.
jbnyc 4:20 PM - 24 September, 2010
Lol ^^^^
marcA 4:59 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
[Then you should be having this discussion with sixxx.

?
Nicky Blunt 8:05 PM - 24 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Then you should be having this discussion with sixxx.

hahahahaha!
zaguama 10:27 PM - 24 September, 2010
just wanted to give my opinion. just let me say this new light yellow with white background (heard a good comment from another user like pee on snow) is quite annoying and i try to spend as less time as possible now in the forums because i cant spend long sessions reading this threads before it starts hurting.
tomatoslice 6:20 AM - 25 September, 2010
i like it better than it was.

still more of a grey, subtle background would be nice.
something similar to the grey, but lighter, in the tool box..but then the toolbox would be less "poppy" and your background image may blend in too.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:42 PM - 25 September, 2010
Wow i havent posted in a while and I see some cleaning up in here :)

Background is too bright now i liked the orange new thread color
DMIXDJ 7:56 PM - 26 September, 2010
If you dont Log in, Everything remains White. Perfect.
roman a 4:03 AM - 19 October, 2010
seamless
dj wreck down 7:25 PM - 22 October, 2010
Scratchlive.net sounded better to me!! lol
jbnyc 8:14 PM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Scratchlive.net sounded better to me!! lol

lol