DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Does anybody else spin in mono instead of stereo?

Awesome steve 9:42 PM - 2 September, 2010
I tend to prefer mono because it eliminates problems like the left channel going to one room and right channel going to the other. I've seen some messed up sound hookups.

Any other advantages/disadvantages to this?
Dj Shamann 9:44 PM - 2 September, 2010
God no, major disadvantage = Half of all modern music is so poorly mastered with engineers neglecting to chek phase issues that half of your image is either distored or cancelled.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:44 PM - 2 September, 2010
Quote:
God no, major disadvantage = Half of all modern music is so poorly mastered with engineers neglecting to chek phase issues that half of your image is either distored or cancelled.

+1
Dj Shamann 10:02 PM - 2 September, 2010
Pain in the ass for certain tracks but for modern music they don't do hard panning like that anymore, because of the reason I stated to NOT do it, by flicking into mono mode your sacrificing 80% of your music all for a couple of old clunkers from the 70's that still practiced that type of engineering.

What sucks is, as an engineer I always try to make my mixes mono capable in regards to club music in the first place (check your phase and image to make sure it all elements of the track are just as strong when flipping into mono), when I talk to veteran engineers with little experience in club music they say "why would you want to do that? Nobody listens to mono anymore man"

I have to explain that when you are in a club you are almost never in the proper listening position, so you're in one side of the club closer to one speaker and "Shook Me All Night Long" comes on and people one one side of the club are cheering because they hear the guitar lick but you don't and you're thinking "what the fuck am I missing".

Unfortunately though today's engineer thinks because they aren't doing crazy hard panning and doing very center driven music they don't even think about phase, if they've even heard of it, considering how microwave the audio production world has become.
Awesome steve 10:24 PM - 2 September, 2010
Oh snap. I didn't even think about phase offset. Nothing I've played sounded out of phase, but that could be why some newer tracks have wired sounding bass.

I'm gonna try stereo tonight. I'll let you guys know.

example: the move by beastie boys, the vocal beatbox is in the left and the 'hello hello' is in the right. I'll just have to edit that part of the zong.
Joshua Carl 5:40 PM - 3 February, 2012
Old thread..
I figured out a big rooms was improperly wired, and was able to prove it to the owners
one night thanks to the Mono feature.
(I know alot of bigger rooms are wired mono,,,,this one isnt)

Drop Rock & Roll part2 or You Shook me all night long (not redrums, or remixes)
the guitar and vocals are 80/20% on opposite channels.

another good one Is Public Enemy's Party for your right to fight.
(chuck D is on 100% on one, Flav on the other)

but now, running Mono (in SSL) over a stereo system.... boooooooooooo!
nuwave_afro 7:05 PM - 3 February, 2012
certain records, like the ones mentioned, plus plenty old motown, hendrix, sly/stone etc... you gotta go mono for. best bet is to just know those ones and flip to mono wen you drop em. it *would* be nice if SSL could do it for us. it seems possible...
L2daGee 8:16 PM - 3 February, 2012
I play at a small venue where I only have room for one speaker and a sub, so I switch to mono for that gig.
CMOS 8:37 PM - 3 February, 2012
Quote:
Old thread..

I figured out a big rooms was improperly wired, and was able to prove it to the owners

one night thanks to the Mono feature.

(I know alot of bigger rooms are wired mono,,,,this one isnt)

Drop Rock & Roll part2 or You Shook me all night long (not redrums, or remixes)

the guitar and vocals are 80/20% on opposite channels.

another good one Is Public Enemy's Party for your right to fight.

(chuck D is on 100% on one, Flav on the other)

but now, running Mono (in SSL) over a stereo system.... boooooooooooo!

Ray Charles - What'd i say is great for this also, Ray and the piano are one side, everything else is the other.
Dj.Mojo 8:32 PM - 4 February, 2012
The Same goes for hit the road jack
popnwave 8:43 PM - 4 February, 2012
This is one of the threads that keep me coming back to this forum. It also reminds me of who loves DJ/VJing because of the music.
djpuma_gemini 9:33 PM - 4 February, 2012
I think most of us dj out in mono and when recording sets at home in stereo.
I'm always in mono at clubs, unless I know I have just two speakers and I can see em both.
Dj.Mojo 4:00 AM - 5 February, 2012
I never used mono mode in any club here. Why should I?
dj_soo 4:27 AM - 5 February, 2012
I usually go mono in lounges and restaurants where there are a bunch of satelite speakers - if it's a club where the speaker setup is usually directional, I go stereo...
HYDRO MATIC 2:56 PM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
certain records, like the ones mentioned, plus plenty old motown, hendrix, sly/stone etc... you gotta go mono for. best bet is to just know those ones and flip to mono wen you drop em. it *would* be nice if SSL could do it for us. it seems possible...

So im going to mix with my decks to defeat what the engineer wanted? (breaks my heart to hear this is yalls approach)

dj_soo has what I belive to be the right idea...
Quote:
I usually go mono in lounges and restaurants where there are a bunch of satelite speakers - if it's a club where the speaker setup is usually directional, I go stereo...

if the venue is set up with solo cable runs to mono satelites then I run mono as to not loose soundfield...if the venue can support stereo then I also stay stereo...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:02 PM - 28 March, 2012
Man, I ALWAYS DJ'ed in stereo. Number one it gives you better control over your sound as far as equalization is concerned, and it always gave me a deeper bass response....

Some songs like "Buffalo Gals" sound "crazy" to some, but I love the stereo separation.

It's like wearing huge stereo headphones except you're in a big auditorium.

It also helped me diagnose sound/signal problems quicker.

I can't even play on my 56s without the LED lights being in stereo.