Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

how to record

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
chicoo 12:11 AM - 24 August, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: dont-know
---

i was wondering how i could record my own mixes with serato. I ve tried it b4 and the recorded folder shows up and the file that i labeled shows up and it plays but with no sound????
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:57 AM - 24 August, 2010
Hi chicoo,

I see you are using an SL 1 which means that you can't record a mix inside Scratch Live. You are only able to record vinyl in from either the left or right hand deck.

To record your mix using an SL 1 you will need to connect the aux output of your mixer into the line input of your computer and use a 3rd party recording program. Let me know if you have any other questions :)
chicoo 12:00 PM - 24 August, 2010
ok coool thanks. what is a good recording program to use with a mac and sl1
djbanno 1:08 PM - 24 August, 2010
Audacity is the go...free too!
audacity.sourceforge.net
chicoo 7:39 PM - 24 August, 2010
you guys rock thanks for the help reeeeaaaallll appreciated
chicoo 3:59 PM - 10 February, 2011
with audacity, do i need another computer to run the audacity while i'm using scratch live. Or can i use both of them together,with 1 (the same computer).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:52 PM - 13 February, 2011
You should be able to run Audacity on the same computer as long as you have a line input on your computer to connect into :)
chicoo 1:12 PM - 23 February, 2011
ok i tried audacity, everything worked good. I did my mix. Exported it to a wav file (because that the only way it would let me export the file). Then placed my mix into my external harddrive, opened my external . played the mix, BUT the qaulity of the mix is not good..... is there a way for it to sound good? or do something so that the qaulity is good?
chicoo 1:16 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
with audacity, do i need another computer to run the audacity while i'm using scratch live. Or can i use both of them together,with 1 (the same computer).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:10 AM - 24 February, 2011
Hey chicoo,

Are you connecting into a line input on your computer or a mic input? A mic input is much more sensitive and your recording will probably be distorted as the signal will be overloading the input.

Also, how have you got your levels set up?
jrhtheone 1:34 AM - 24 February, 2011
You can record inside the SL1 using the mic input.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:42 AM - 24 February, 2011
I would not recommend recording through the mic input as this could damage your SL 1 unit. The mic input is designed to take a lower mic signal, and while it is possible to record your set through this, it is not recommended.
chicoo 11:55 PM - 24 February, 2011
Im plugging into my headphone jack on my computer. Or is there somewhere else better to plug into?
chicoo 11:56 PM - 24 February, 2011
i have my levels bout half way up
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:36 PM - 28 February, 2011
Can you please make sure you are following these steps:

- Setup your SL 1 like you would normally and launch Scratch Live.
- Connect the Stereo RCA to 3.5mm mini jack cable from an additional output from your DJ mixer (i.e. booth, record, 2nd master) into the line input of your computer (or your external soundcard)
- Set the record source in your recording program to "line".
- Check the record settings/preferences are set to stereo 44.1 kHz and 16bits (more if you desire).
- Test there is audio coming into the recording program and check the levels aren't going above zero dB on the recording channel.
- When you are ready, press record in your recording software, and start your mix.
- When you are finished, make sure you stop the recording, and save the mix to a location of your choice.

NOTE: Because of the extra strain on your laptop's RAM and CPU while running Scratch Live and a recording program, we recommend that you use a desktop or a separate laptop to record a mix if you are able.
8:00 PM, 14 Mar 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
chicoo 11:44 PM - 7 April, 2011
if i was to use another computer how would i connect to my lap top?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:40 AM - 8 April, 2011
Hey chicoo,

If you are using a second computer to record you will need to connect a RCA to 1/8" jack from a booth/record output on your mixer into a line input on your computer.

You normal computer will be connected to Scratch Live as per usual.

Does this make sense?

Sam.
chicoo 3:46 PM - 11 April, 2011
yea it does thank u i will try this