Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Eliminating the ground wire?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
sm.ghanem 10:26 PM - 13 August, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

I'm gonna get stuck into giving my Technics 1210 mk2's a refurb and customisation, and I've seen the ground wire hack on various sites- I need to replace my RCAs so I was thinking of removing the ground whilst I'm there. Would my Techs then be safe for use with the 57SL? I've heard that internally grounding is good for use with Serato, but I haven't heard any explainations why (or, more importantly, why not).
Rane, Support
RafaelM 11:39 PM - 13 August, 2010
Its fine. Grounding is grounding and you should be fine.

Some like it - some dont - I have never ran into an issue with a deck that has been properly internally grounded.
cotdagoo 2:18 AM - 14 August, 2010
personally the best thing you can do imo is do the self-grounding mod internally but leave the external ground wire connected, coil it up and tuck up into the little space where the rca & ground wires lead into the 1200. this way you don't have to hook up the ground wire, but in case of emergency it's still there should you have any issues with the mixer you're using not being grounded.
marto 6:18 PM - 14 August, 2010
Quote:
personally the best thing you can do imo is do the self-grounding mod internally but leave the external ground wire connected, coil it up and tuck up into the little space where the rca & ground wires lead into the 1200. this way you don't have to hook up the ground wire, but in case of emergency it's still there should you have any issues with the mixer you're using not being grounded.

+1
nik39 6:43 PM - 15 August, 2010
Quote:
Grounding is grounding

I think your mate Steve M. does not agree with you ;)

www.serato.com <- click.
tomatoslice 7:58 PM - 15 August, 2010
i don't have too read much further than this line in Steve M's post to know he is COMPLETELY WRONG.
Quote:
... The TT ground wire connects the motor control board in the turntable to an earth ground ...

the 1200 ground wire and the motor control or anything electrical in a technics are totally and completely independent.

they are in no way connected. the ground hum you get is NOT electrical.

i don't even know why that post is still there.
Steve M is very misinformed. he should research the subject, take a TT apart or work on them.
i have personally internally grounded many turntables and repaired well over 300
unless the work was shotty, i have never had an issue or heard of anyone having an issue with an internal ground ever.

it's quite simple to research and see that post is incorrect.
nik39 8:00 PM - 15 August, 2010
Can you repost this in the other thread?
tomatoslice 8:17 PM - 15 August, 2010
good idea...done
tomatoslice 8:19 PM - 15 August, 2010
oh lol...i just went back and read that thread...i did post way back in april of 09 my disagreement.
nik39 8:22 PM - 15 August, 2010
Hm... someone should send him a PM or an email, asking for clarification.
nik39 8:30 PM - 15 August, 2010
Okay, I just wrote Steve an email. :)