DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What is a TV TRACK?

Viper72020 12:08 AM - 24 February, 2007
I Have a lot of tracks that I get from other Dj's or from Cd singles and I dont understand what a TV TRACK is?? can someone help me out please. Also what is a "Call Out Hook" used for?
Audio1 12:28 AM - 24 February, 2007
TV Tracks tend to be an instrumental of a song. It can have some vocals on it, like background vocals, hooks, or just be the straight beat. Unsure what a Call Out Hook is used for... I would guess, A DJ could Scratch/Mix the Call out hook to hype the track, then mix in the Original... Dont quote me tho...
That Guy 1 12:43 AM - 24 February, 2007
A "TV Track" is usually an instrumental with some seemingly random ad-libs. It ma be used as a show track.

A "Call-Out Hook" is for radio programmers for commercials.
Audio1 12:46 AM - 24 February, 2007
Thanks for the clarification...
Viper72020 1:04 AM - 24 February, 2007
thanks guys. Still a little unsure as to how a dj would use the tv track though
dj cubicle 1:19 AM - 24 February, 2007
why do i think dj scribble when i think tv track?
nik39 2:33 AM - 24 February, 2007
Thats what a TV track is.. but where does the name come from?
airforce1 1:31 PM - 24 February, 2007
a tv track is for the artist to use when they perform ......... on tv... that's all the name means.
it's so the dj (or whoever) can play the track and the artist has his back up vocals and adlibs.
artists do a lot of overdubs on their records. they might want a version of their record that allows them to perform without having to have other folks on stage with them, doing the additional vocal parts. the next time you see a "live" performance on television, listen to the backing track. sometimes you'll hear the adlibs, chorus vocals, etc. but there'll only be one dude with a mic. whether or not a single comes with a tv track all depends on how the artist, producer, and engineer operates. if the artist knows he's always gonna have his twenty man entourage on stage with him, helping with his background vocals. he might not need a tv track. or maybe everyone left the studio to go to the club to make it rain on some hos, and the engineer is stuck tracking the session at the end of the night. and he's like, "no one told me to do a tv track, so i'm just gonna run off an instrumental, a clean and dirty version and then i'm out, so i can go home early and play halo on my x box".......then 6 months later when the artist is supposed to perform on german tv but none of his entourage could travel with him because they didn't have passports or couldn't make it through customs,...the artist is like, "all good.. dj, just play the tv track..." but the dj's like." nah, b... you don't have a tv track. just an instrumental" and the artist is like ."damn, no tv track?, oh well, fuk it, just play the clean version, i'll spit over that...." and that's why sometimes when you hear a live performance on tv, fools are just yelling over their own vocals the whole way through their song...
nik39 1:47 PM - 24 February, 2007
Quote:
hen 6 months later when the artist is supposed to perform on german tv but none of his entourage could travel with him because they didn't have passports or couldn't make it through customs

Haha... that lame excuse why xyz couldnt make it to this&that event ;)

Quote:
and the artist is like ."damn, no tv track?, oh well, fuk it, just play the clean version, i'll spit over that...."

Oh, thats then what Fat Joe did during the biggest HipHop festival in Europe. Almost. He used the dirty version and "rapped" over it. Fake jack.

Thanks for the explanation. :)
Julls 2:04 PM - 24 February, 2007
Quote:
Haha... that lame excuse why xyz couldnt make it to this&that event ;)

I thought XYZ was a DnB MC?
DJ Nick Lee 9:34 PM - 25 February, 2007
The call out hook is actually for the radio station research department. The research employees cold call people from a phone list and ask them if they like song xyz and how they rate it from 1 to 5. Just to make sure the caller and the researcher are talking about the same song the "call out" is played because it is usually the most recognizable part of the track. This info is used by the program directors as clark said.
That Guy 1 10:06 PM - 25 February, 2007
Quote:
The call out hook is actually for the radio station research department. The research employees cold call people from a phone list and ask them if they like song xyz and how they rate it from 1 to 5. Just to make sure the caller and the researcher are talking about the same song the "call out" is played because it is usually the most recognizable part of the track. This info is used by the program directors as clark said.

You are correct. I was only partially correct. Me forgot that part.
DJ Nick Lee 10:31 PM - 25 February, 2007
Has anyone ever gotten a call like that before? I see the 3 ladies at our station working 6 hours a day but I have never received, nor do I know anyone that has gotten a research call.
SUBSTANCE 2:19 AM - 26 February, 2007
A TV track is an insrumental that fucks up your blend because the chorus kicks in.
matt212 4:17 AM - 26 February, 2007
Quote:
A TV track is an insrumental that fucks up your blend because the chorus kicks in.

LMAO!
Viper72020 6:03 PM - 26 February, 2007
Thank you guys for the explinations...
kicko 9:27 PM - 26 February, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

thats the truth, ruth
a-swift 11:07 PM - 26 February, 2007
Quote:
or maybe everyone left the studio to go to the club to make it rain on some hos, and the engineer is stuck tracking the session at the end of the night.

that is fucking hillarious.
That Guy 1 8:10 AM - 28 February, 2007
Quote:

You might be describing a "dub".
MidMuse 5:55 PM - 28 April, 2012
A TV track is usually a song or a musical sequence used as background music during a scene or visual sequence on television (i.e., commercials or television shows). If a song has vocals, part of the vocals may be removed for voice-overs or dialogue, while the instrumental track is left intact.
Dj Shamann 6:47 PM - 28 April, 2012
What weird thread to bump in order to just quote Wiki
nik39 9:05 PM - 28 April, 2012
... And that quote doesn't even sound right in this context.
Mike_P 1:12 AM - 29 April, 2012
It's not. A TV track is an instrumental that has adlibs, and choruses but nothing else.
Mike_P 1:12 AM - 29 April, 2012
Basically backing vocals over the instrumental.