Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Straight line in scope with 0%

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
dj delta 10:36 PM - 3 August, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.7
---

I was setting up the other night before a gig and one of my turntables completely will not read the control record. When I play the record in the scope screen it is a straight line with and it picks up 0% in the bottom right corner of the scope screen. While on the regular screen the meter that tells you how well the control record is being read it is a halfway and completely red. Could this be an RCA or ground issue? Thanks!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:45 PM - 3 August, 2010
Hi dj delta,

It looks like you are missing a channel somewhere in the signal chain between the stylus and the input on your SL 1. Could you make sure all your connections are tight, try swapping around RCA's, switching cartridge's etc?
dj delta 11:01 PM - 3 August, 2010
I have swapped rca's, stylus, headshells...I have cleaned contact points between the headshell and the tonearm and swapped the the inputs to the serato box from 1 to 2..still the same problem....the turntable works on it's own with a record out of the serato loop.....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:04 PM - 3 August, 2010
So does the problem follow the deck or stay on the channel? i.e. When you switch deck 1 to input two, you get the straight line on input two and vice versa?
dj delta 11:06 PM - 3 August, 2010
it follows the deck
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:25 PM - 3 August, 2010
If you play regular vinyl through the THRU inputs on your SL1 so you can see the output meter on the virtual deck in Scratch Live, is it missing one channel? It looks like this is an problem with your turntable. It could be the wiring in the tone arm itself or something else internal if you have swapped everything around and still get this issue.
dj delta 1:39 AM - 4 August, 2010
Yeah, I think the ground or the rca got pulled and its something internal, ive swapped and tried to debunk everything else...thanks sam!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:46 AM - 4 August, 2010
No worries. You might want to get your turntable serviced to get this issue sorted out. In the meantime you can always mix off one deck using instant doubles or input reverse. If you have any further questions please let me know :)

Cheers,

Sam.
6:00 AM, 18 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
dj delta 4:58 PM - 24 August, 2010
The scope on one of my turntables is a straight line like the example in the tutorial that shows that the right channel is missing where there is just a horizontal line and 0%. I am still having this issue with one of my turntables, I asked an electronics repair place near me how much it would cost to get the rca and ground wire replaced. I do not know how to solder or I would do it myself. They told me 100 bucks. I am pretty sure my problem is due to a bad RCA-before i go spend the money to get it fixed I just wanted another opinion....does this in fact sound like the rca needs to be replaced? Thanks for your input!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:22 PM - 24 August, 2010
Yes, it sounds like this is the problem. If you have made sure to check the connections between the tonearm and the headshell and swapped out cartridges and needles and the problem still exists then it looks like it is something internal or the RCA's. Getting your turntable serviced would be the best option in this case.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sam.
6:00 AM, 8 Sep 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.