DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What y'all think of the new DJ Battle formats?

DJ Prinvale` 9:54 PM - 3 August, 2010
DMC battles are now allowing Serato, King of The Jungle battle, MaiTai Battle, Beezo Battle, URB, Rockstar DJ competition... What do you guys think about this new wave of battles coming up?

input from all is appreciated!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:59 PM - 3 August, 2010
I think its a possitive thing, with the vast majority of new DJs comming in as DVS users the battle scene would slowly die out if it didnt update with the times. Besides it adds new levels of creativity that wasnt avaliable before. Purists will hate it though because to me at least its less of a physcal "skill" battle and more of a creative who can put on the best show battle

Its kinda like the dunk contest in the NBA, when it came out it was about the physical ability to do these amasing dunks, then when it reached its limit on what can be accomplished but just dunking you started seeing the stuff that goes on now, people winning by putting on costumes and using propsm ect. It waters down the focus on pure physical talent but really opens the creative avenues to put on an enjoyable show and delevier it to a wider audience
eder 10:22 PM - 3 August, 2010
I don't understand how you can "judge" a "party rocking" battle. That's all arbitrary and about who brings the most people for the most part.
_Stuart 11:42 PM - 3 August, 2010
they should just add a new section to the DMC
mixing on 2 1200's and a tech mixer as the standard
new section for serato and 2 decks+mixer for the dvs dj's
DJ Prinvale` 1:38 AM - 4 August, 2010
Quote:
they should just add a new section to the DMC
mixing on 2 1200's and a tech mixer as the standard
new section for serato and 2 decks+mixer for the dvs dj's

that seems pretty reasonable.
Logisticalstyles 3:43 AM - 4 August, 2010
I'm cool with that as long as they keep it at that. No Controllerism battles for me.
O.B.1 4:04 AM - 4 August, 2010
Quote:
I'm cool with that as long as they keep it at that. No Autosync battles for me.

that too...
djdalite 4:27 AM - 4 August, 2010
the whole party rockin battle thing, i think its all good to showcase talent and skill but it should never be recognized as DMC material, i dont even think it should be allowed in the DMC

DMC 4 me will always be the sickest dudes who can cut a storm, juggle, put together word play and just kill it in the 5 mins given. to make a 5min routine that takes skill to put together and then to perform that live with minimal error and the added pressure of being watched, thats what being a top DJ is about i think

not how many mashups can be created in 5mins or how many effects/airhorn drops/and quick mixing can be done, just purley rockin the shit out of a pair of vinyl records
djchriscruz 4:00 PM - 4 August, 2010
I like how battling and turntablism is evolving and now incorporating DVS.

After Craze shut down DMC turntablism and battling got too technical and predictable. Every routine started with dis phrases, beat juggling a beat and flip it 2-3 ways, then a scratch routine.

Using DVS reflects what DJ's do now and it allows us to be way more fluid with sets with our sets and we're not limited to records we have on hand.
Mike_P 5:12 PM - 4 August, 2010
Word as long as it's a separate comp from the standard comp that should be real cool. I'm actually exited to see what people come up with. This will breed a lot of creativity.
Audio1 5:51 PM - 4 August, 2010
Competitions such as DMC will always remain separate from the club/party rocker ones... Battles like the Red Bull challenge, Rockstar DJ, Beezo (www.beezobattle.com), Mai Tai, King Of The Jungle and all the other battles are a great way for people to go out there and show the world what they got. In this day in age, Show & Prove means everything. Plus these battles are a great way to network, make new fans/supporters and overall keep the DJ Movement alive. Look what Serato did alone. Not only did they create one of the best and most widely used DVS systems, They brought us all together in a positive way. I am all for battles and showcases of any sort, from DJing to Beat Battles to MC battles. Great way to keep the competitive spirit and challenge yourself against the grain.
DJ Prinvale` 2:00 AM - 5 August, 2010
This thread is way to civil...someone throw a chair!!
DCD 4:01 AM - 5 August, 2010
IT'S NOT REAL DJ'ING IF YOUR USING SERATO
Awesome steve 4:18 AM - 5 August, 2010
THEY SHOULD HAVE AUTOSYNC BATTLE.

AND JESUS POSE BATTLE
ninos 4:22 AM - 5 August, 2010
Quote:
THEY SHOULD HAVE AUTOSYNC BATTLE.

AND JESUS POSE BATTLE

tiesto win for both?
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:57 PM - 5 August, 2010
Quote: