Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pitch Drifting Issue in 1.3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Basstard 10:26 PM - 15 March, 2005
Hi guys this is my first post. Just purchased SSL today and I am extremly impressed. not only does it get Final Scratch's ass but also FS2! I downloaded the updates for SSL as i was aware that they fixed the pitch drift issue. however i still notice while im spinnin that the pitch indicated is fluctuating as much as -0.5% and +0.5 every couple of seconds. as a result i cant hold 2 beats together for more than a few seconds :( i will be purchasing CV02 vinyls in abt 6-7 days but is there any recommendations for now?
Revolutionary 10:31 PM - 15 March, 2005
Have you turned the internal pitch correction on?
s42000 10:32 PM - 15 March, 2005
Quote:
i cant hold 2 beats together for more than a few seconds

wow that's extreme .. even with CV01 and drift you should be able to hold a beat for way much longer that 2 sec. (I believe the issue was after minute 7 or something like that ... we have dome many a gig with CV01/1.1)

Are you set up correctly ...
You could also select pitch drift correction in setup.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:32 PM - 15 March, 2005
Make sure you have drift compensation checked in the setup screen :-)

Welcome to the board Basstard, hehe :-)
Basstard 11:35 PM - 15 March, 2005
sorry i shoulda addded that - i actually DO have pitch compensation on but the pitch does not stay constant at all. obviously the change isnt exactly audible but the pitch display on the screen lets me know.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:38 PM - 15 March, 2005
Is the correct side being displayed (within the virtual deck) while playing the control record.
Basstard 12:05 AM - 16 March, 2005
yea - it happens on both sides btw
djkenace 12:17 AM - 16 March, 2005
its a possibility that your turntable is drifting from your other one. Make sure your turntable is calibrated properly
Basstard 12:20 AM - 16 March, 2005
naw it aint that dude, these technics are only new and theyre calibrated correctly..

dont worry about it too much shaun if u dont know wat it is off hand - im sure the cv02 vinyls will take care of this problem, right?
nik39 1:26 AM - 16 March, 2005
Quote:
sorry i shoulda addded that - i actually DO have pitch compensation on but the pitch does not stay constant at all. obviously the change isnt exactly audible but the pitch display on the screen lets me know.

Yes, I know that problem and Serato's Team should be aware of it. I was confused as well, but I have done some testings (cause ... well, I wanted to be 100% sure ;) ) and the pitch is very very stable, but the displayed pitch is simply wrong. If you need it I can send you a diagram/graph with the exact pitch fluctuations.
Basstard 1:59 AM - 16 March, 2005
its definatly not stable on my setup man. ive tried mixing using the same 2 mp3s with the pitch locked @ 0 on the technics and after maybe 10 - 15 seconds they go outta phase. im not gonna worry too much abt it as im confident the cv02 vinyls will take care of the problem. thanks everybody for their feedback.
DJ 3pm 2:18 AM - 16 March, 2005
make sure your tables are grounded proberly
Serato, Moderator
AJ 2:58 AM - 16 March, 2005
Hi Basstard, welcome to the forum.

The only thing I can think of that would cause your two MP3s to go out of sync is if the the software was compensating for Side A, but you were using Side B (or vice versa). In the virtual deck on screen on the left hand side, you should see CV01 A or CV01 B. The A or B should match the side of the vinyl that you are playing on your turntable.

The reason for this is that each side of the CV01 records has a very different amount of drift, so the software needs to know which side it is compensating for. The way you can let Scratch LIVE know which side you are using is by dropping the needle into the last minute of the record. Side A is only ten minutes long so if it detects a position greater than 10 minutes, it knows it is on side B. And Side B doesn't have a vinyl select strip, so if you drop the needle in that area, it knows you are using side A.
BassChamber 9:54 AM - 16 March, 2005
buy CV02, your problems will go away...
Basstard 9:57 AM - 16 March, 2005
funny enuff AJ that was the problem - cheerz
DJ 3pm 5:16 PM - 16 March, 2005
yay! another problem solved. welcome to the board basstard.

problem solved less than 12 hours after being posted. another satisfied customer :)
s42000 6:07 PM - 16 March, 2005
My FS problem .... 2 yrs+ and still waiting :(
Basstard 9:23 PM - 16 March, 2005
maybe i spoke too soon i dunno :-S

got the cv02 records today - the onscreen display is still showing movement in the pitch. it never stays the same it'll vary as much as 0.2 both ways. i have tried it with both pitch compensation on and off and the same result. any ideas?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:28 PM - 16 March, 2005
quoting Mr.Nik39:
Quote:
have done some testings (cause ... well, I wanted to be 100% sure ;) ) and the pitch is very very stable, but the displayed pitch is simply wrong. If you need it I can send you a diagram/graph with the exact pitch fluctuations.

Nik is correct...do a search for pitch drift :-) There is more than enough information regarding that topic ;-)
Revolutionary 9:28 PM - 16 March, 2005
Are you sure it's not only the display? Do you have stickers on the records? Do you get the same results if you match them up that way?
Basstard 9:49 PM - 16 March, 2005
i just mixed 2 of the same mp3s together with the quartz lock on. the display stayed at 0% and did not move at all (on both sides)

i moved the slider on each pitch to 2% on the turntables. the displayed pitch on deck A was changing from 1.7 to 1.8 while deck B was moving 2.0 to 2.2. so obviously the wrong speed is being registered on deck A because the pitch was clearly at 2% on my turntable. is this a calibration error?
nik39 10:00 PM - 16 March, 2005
Basstard, your turntables only run really stable (and quartz locked!) at 0.0%, if you move your pitch, quartz lock is off, and your TTs may fluctuate.

Quote:
have done some testings (cause ... well, I wanted to be 100% sure ;) ) and the pitch is very very stable, but the displayed pitch is simply wrong. If you need it I can send you a diagram/graph with the exact pitch fluctuations.

This only applies to tests with CV01 and PD correction on in 1.3, this does not apply to CV02, there are no pitch fluctuations in any way (neither displayed nor measured).

Quote:
i moved the slider on each pitch to 2% on the turntables. the displayed pitch on deck A was changing from 1.7 to 1.8 while deck B was moving 2.0 to 2.2. so obviously the wrong speed is being registered on deck A because the pitch was clearly at 2% on my turntable. is this a calibration error?

This is a problem of your decks, they need to be recalibrated. Spinning in clubs, I have come across all kind of weird decks and pitches (PITCHES, not ... and DECKS, not ... ;) ). The problem many decks have is that they do have 2 zero-points, the one of the pitch slider itself, and then of course the "click"-zeroposition when the deck goes into quartzlock mode.
Basstard 10:09 PM - 16 March, 2005
damn i was hoping that wasnt the case these techs are only a couple of months old :-S

these are clickless btw - M5Gs
Serato
Josh 10:44 PM - 16 March, 2005
it's not unheard of for techs to leave the factory with double zero points apparently...
nobspangle 10:51 PM - 16 March, 2005
Mk5s shouldn't have double zeros but I wouldn't expect the pitch markings on the fader to be accurate. There are only two ways of telling that your decks are running at the same speed, 1 is to quartz lock them both, the other is to use the strobes.
Basstard 11:19 PM - 16 March, 2005
yea i used the strobes. the left turntable is definatly off a little but the right seems fine. would this actually coz fluctuations in pitch tho? (in general - not just in SSL)
djkenace 12:57 AM - 17 March, 2005
yes if the table is off as i stated eariler it would throw off SSL signal.
mArtian! 11:03 PM - 17 March, 2005
So can one recalibrate TT by yourself or does this require some sort of servicing center? Is it worth getting ur decks recalibrated?, and if so how often?
nik39 11:12 PM - 17 March, 2005
You can do it yourself... google a bit, and I think someone posted a manual on this board.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:20 PM - 17 March, 2005
I found this www.massive.com
mArtian! 11:46 PM - 17 March, 2005
Do you think this could work on Vestax PDX2000's? (I thinking not, but I could be missing something...)
mArtian! 11:48 PM - 17 March, 2005
heh heh heh, I like the last step, perhaps good advice for me...

15. If you are happy with the zero point, then put the tt back together and have a non-alcoholic drink, because you might have to continue.
nobspangle 8:24 AM - 18 March, 2005
You don't need to calibrate the zero point on decks other than 1200/1210s Mk.2-4 because nobody else was stupid enough to make a deck that forces quartz lock on when you are in the middle of the fader, so no other deck suffers the double zero.
mArtian! 2:50 AM - 19 March, 2005
Cheers nobspangle..:) I looked into it, and it appears that the vestax don't have this problem... phew! Now I can get an alcoholic drink and feel much better....
s42000 3:04 AM - 19 March, 2005
Quote:
You don't need to calibrate the zero point on decks other than 1200/1210s Mk.2-4 because nobody else was stupid enough to make a deck that forces quartz lock on when you are in the middle of the fader, so no other deck suffers the double zero.

A bit confused here, what does this mean ? The other decks dont have a quarts lock or what .. ?

I've been eyeing the Vestax PDX 2300 MK2 PRO for a 4th set.
mArtian! 3:17 AM - 19 March, 2005
Quote:
A bit confused here, what does this mean ? The other decks dont have a quarts lock or what .. ?

I've been eyeing the Vestax PDX 2300 MK2 PRO for a 4th set.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do it, make the purchase! Don't just stand there looking at it!..:)
s42000 3:26 AM - 19 March, 2005
I will .. but still need an understanding of

>>nobody else was stupid enough to make a deck that forces quartz lock on when you are in the middle of the fader, so no other deck suffers the double zero.<<
mArtian! 5:34 AM - 19 March, 2005
The other decks DO have a quartz lock, you just have to press a button to make it happen, rather than having the quartz lock kick in on the pitch slider... :)
DJ 3pm 4:23 PM - 19 March, 2005
Quote:
nobody else was stupid enough to make a deck that forces quartz lock on when you are in the middle of the fader, so no other deck suffers the double zero
Quote:
The other decks DO have a quartz lock, you just have to press a button to make it happen, rather than having the quartz lock kick in on the pitch slider... :)

my numark tt-200s go to quartz lock when around 0 on the slider, but it doesn't 'snap' to it. is this what you are refering to?
nobspangle 12:24 PM - 21 March, 2005
Any deck where the quartz lock switches on automatically when you get to 0 on the fader makes it tricky to mix around that point unless the decks are perfectly calibrated. Technics decks make it harder still by having the snap in the middle of the fader.
I don't understand why this wasn't one of the things technics fixed with the MkIIIs.
Even my Gemini PT-1000 which cost £300 for the pair have the quartz lock seperate to the pitch fader.