Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL vinyls and scratching

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Ceasar K 11:07 PM - 19 February, 2007
I'm having a hard time scratching properly on the SSL vinyls..The vinyls are not starting up instantly..

I noticed Side B is lighter and affects turntable torque a litlle less but still getting that winding up sound when releasing the record...

Is there a special version of the SSL vinyls that is lighter?

Alternatively, i'm thinking of changing my slipmats...Any suggestion?

Thanks...
Ceasar K 11:09 PM - 19 February, 2007
Any specific brand and type of slip mat that is available to buy online and that you would recommend for scratching with SSL?
dj shadow from detroit 11:27 PM - 19 February, 2007
butter rug's,or use wax paper.
i use butter rug's and wax paper.
djprophet 11:33 PM - 19 February, 2007
co sign, butter rugs work well, and you can find them online at pssl.com.
mrgr00v3 3:50 PM - 20 February, 2007
Ghetto Mats! Check you vinyl collection for plastic vinyl covers. Put your vinyl on the plastic and tear off the excess plastic. Cut the plastic in half blam.....you have Ghetto Mats! I use Numark TT's and the slip mats that came with them but I put the plastic down first, then the slip mats. It's not like slip mats are expensive, it's just an old school trade that I have always done.

~peace
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:56 PM - 20 February, 2007
Quote:
Is there a special version of the SSL vinyls that is lighter?

The SSL vinyl weighs 128 grams which is pretty average. Not too heavy, not too light.
We don't make any other weight of vinyl.

What type of TT do you own?
dj cubicle 5:52 PM - 20 February, 2007
Side B is "lighter"? Could it just be the difference between 10 mins and 15 mins of groove?
Konix 6:01 PM - 20 February, 2007
There's no way the B side is "lighter." Weight is weight, there's no way one side is heavier than the other. Now it may feel different, but that could be because the vinyl is slightly warped or "bowl" shapped which makes one side a lot more slippery than the other.
Konix 6:02 PM - 20 February, 2007
*shaped not shapped
Ceasar K 6:15 PM - 20 February, 2007
I'm working on Technics SL-1210mk2.
And yeah i meant side B "feels lighter"...didn't expect you guys to take it so litteraly..
I just put some wax paper and it feels a litlle better..
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:30 PM - 20 February, 2007
Try re calibrating your setup.
It may be that the threshold setting isn't what it needs to be.
DJ Slick 8:35 PM - 20 February, 2007
I thihnk it's just the slight cruve in the vinyl. On the original vinyl's from Rane, the B side slips better. I have bought some replacement vinyls and the B side slips better on all of those also. I bought some Blue SSL vinyls recently, and the "A Side" slips better on both of those. Just my "non-scientific" response :)
dj cubicle 10:34 PM - 20 February, 2007
That's really as non-scientific as it gets. ;-)
Ceasar K 8:52 AM - 21 February, 2007
Quote:
Ghetto Mats! Check you vinyl collection for plastic vinyl covers. Put your vinyl on the plastic and tear off the excess plastic. Cut the plastic in half blam.....you have Ghetto Mats! I use Numark TT's and the slip mats that came with them but I put the plastic down first, then the slip mats. It's not like slip mats are expensive, it's just an old school trade that I have always done.

~peace

What do you mean by cutting the plastic in half? like removing one of the sides? or literraly cutting the circle in half (which i doubt but just checkin! hehe)
Euclid Abalos 6:56 AM - 22 February, 2007
He means removing one side since its two sided. not half of the circle.
mrgr00v3 8:06 PM - 24 February, 2007
Quote:
He means removing one side since its two sided. not half of the circle.

WORD!!
dj disturbed 8:42 PM - 24 February, 2007
or use Wax paper...it works as well.. and is slick as hell!!!
Zion-Prayz 2:51 AM - 25 February, 2007
Frosted Plates
dj disturbed 10:36 AM - 25 February, 2007
lol... i personly use butter rugs.. or slickmats (i have some custom designed ones)