Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

new laptop only to be used for SSL.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
stockie 9:28 PM - 3 February, 2007
just wondering if you guys could help me out a little. im looking around for a new laptop. My current laptop is a P3 1GIG, 30 Gig Hard drive, 225mg ramm (i got ramm chip problems i know), 2 x USB 1.0 ports, running XP Home SP2. Now this seems to run SSL fine, with no problems. im looking at getting a new laptop just for serato. not going to be used for anything else (as ive got my home pc for everything else). im on a budget and i came across these 2:

1. P4 1.8GIG, 512mb ramm, 100 gig hard drive, 2 x USB 2.0 ports
2. Celeron 2.5GIG, 512mb ramm, 120gig hard drive, 2 x USB 2.0 ports.

Now question is, should i be going for the Pentium chip or the Celeron? Reason i ask is because i know Celeron isnt really a multimedia processing chip, its more of a laid back cheaper chip, but because its at a higher GIG hertz then the Pentium, it should run the same (if not a little better) then the P4 chip. Or should i be looking for something better eg: core duo? Does SSL take advantage of the core duo / core 2 duo architecture? And finally, is there any need to upgrade to 1gig of Ramm?

Thanks
dram 4:26 AM - 9 February, 2007
1. Well if you have gone to many clubs lately I'm sure you have noticed most of the dj's using an APPLE computer "That Should Answer Your Question".

2. If all you will be using the computer for is Serato than you don't need the Intel 2 Duo Processor.

3. And yes you should have a minimum of a Gig of Ram installed. Whether you are on pc or mac the operating system alone requires 512 megs just to run smoothly and when you start running SSL you are taking more of that ram away from OS there for requiring the computer to work even harder.

4. For the computer to run even better you should have all music files on an external HD, this way you have two harddrives working not just one doing it all.
DJ-A 3:09 PM - 9 February, 2007
why does it seem that the DJ's are using the Duo Processor? Does it give any advantages?
nik39 6:03 PM - 14 February, 2007
Quote:
1. Well if you have gone to many clubs lately I'm sure you have noticed most of the dj's using an APPLE computer "That Should Answer Your Question".

BS.

Quote:
3. And yes you should have a minimum of a Gig of Ram installed. Whether you are on pc or mac the operating system alone requires 512 megs just to run smoothly and when you start running SSL you are taking more of that ram away from OS there for requiring the computer to work even harder.

512MB is sufficient.

Quote:
4. For the computer to run even better you should have all music files on an external HD, this way you have two harddrives working not just one doing it all.

I hope you are kidding.
Releaux 11:47 PM - 14 February, 2007
I'm a huge Mac fan and given the choice will nearly always take a Mac over a PC. I'm not a fan-boi, but Mac is my preference.

That said, if you're buying a laptop that will run Serato and nothing else then it becomes less of a platform issue and more of an issue of build quality and OS optimization. If you're already comfortable with Windows, stick with Windows. If you like Mac, go Mac. If you've never tried either, figure out what OS the friend who's going to be providing all your tech support uses and choose that.

Here are the more important things (IMO) to consider:

Build Quality
Assuming you're gigging with this thing, you're going to be exposing it to some pretty harsh environments... cigarette smoke, fog juice, small sticky fingers (if you play weddings), etc. Additionally, you're going to be using this machine when you're (hopefully) hyped up and having fun. You are less likely to be gentle with your machine in this state.

Given that, find a laptop with a keyboard that feels sturdy. One pound on it with your fists and it would simply look at you and say, "is that all you got?" I have a Gateway laptop and the keyboard is shit. It's spongy and unresponsive. My MacBook Pro, on the other hand, has possibly the best keyboard I've ever used. I've had similar positive experiences with IBM ThinkPads.

OS Optimization
If you're running Windows, the first thing I'd do is format the drive and reinstall from an XP Service Pack 2 OEM disc. Turn off everything you can get away with and never install anything you don't absolutely need. Windows is perfectly stable if you get it set up and never change it. Run some occasional maintenance software and enjoy your lovely rock-solid platform.

If you're running Mac, you probably don't need to format and install, but you do need to shut down a couple of services just to be on the paranoid side of things.

How to Choose Your Box
Now that Macs can run Windows as well as Mac OS X, it might make more sense to think of a Mac as a high-end hardware PC along the lines of an IBM, HP, or Sony machine as opposed to a less expensive (and more cheaply made) unit like Dell or Gateway. (I'm speaking in general terms... there are exceptions for every brand).

With that in mind, the MacBook Pros are actually pretty competitive price-wise with other, similarly equipped, high-end laptops. While you probably don't need all the high-end hardware, the QA and build quality on these is normally much better than an $899 unit.

Find a computer that you think will stand up to the rigors of what you intend to put it through. Then think of the rigors you don't intend to put it through. Because they will happen and they will happen to you.

I dropped PowerBook in a hotel room one time. It fell about 4.5 feet and landed on the front right corner, on a very thin carpet over a concrete floor... about as bad a scenario as you can imagine short of there being no carpet at all. The only damage was a very slight buckle on the cosmetic bezel just below the latch. Had it been awake at the time, the accelerometer would have parked the hard drive heads prior to impact to prevent a disk crash.

If the same thing had happened with my Gateway, I have no doubt that I would have been collecting pieces of plastic from all over the room.

In short - don't cheap out unless this thing is going to be kept under glass in your bedroom. Choose whatever machine feels the best to you and run the OS you want.

Note: when I talk about Mac laptops, I'm talking about the MacBook Pro series, not the iBook series. I haven't had any direct experience with those. While the build quality is probably ok, it's certainly not at the same level.
Releaux 12:04 AM - 15 February, 2007
I just realized that I didn't answer any of your questions... I was responding to some of the responses.

Summary
Intel Chip
1 Gig ram
Internal drive ok for now, but plan on an external in the future
Core2Duo if you're not upgrading within 24 months.

Long-winded rationale:
If it were me, I'd probably go with the Intel chip. I don't know much about the Intel/AMD religious war, but I've never had a problem with an Intel chip. Ever. (I did IT tech support and systems maintenance in Silicon valley for six years.)

Note that I am not saying AMDs will have problems, only that in my direct experience, I've never had a problem with Intel.*

While you can probably get away with 512mb, I've always found RAM to be the cheapest way to improve performance and stability... pop for the gig of ram.

Initially, you'll be fine with the internal drive, but I'd recommend budgeting for a 7200rpm external drive down the road... not so much for performance as for convenience, portability, and future happiness the next time you get a new computer.

The Core2Duo thing... I don't know if there's any advantage in terms of SSL, but getting one kind of future proofs you for a longer time. If you aren't intending to upgrade this machine within the next 24 months, it might be worth the premium for the better chip.

*Ok, I did have one problem with an Intel chip. I was taking advantage of a burned-out video card to deep clean the innards of a frankenbox I'd built. It had been so long that I'd forgotten how the fan/heatsink assembly went over the P4 chip and I kind of brute-forced a lever. The heat over time had bonded two things together and I ended up ripping the chip out of the socket without releasing the clamp... I ended up with about 1/4 of the pins bent. Not really Intel's fault, but I offer up the experience for full disclosure. ;-)

By the way, if you ever have to try and straighten a bunch of P4 pins, the best tool for the job is a credit card. It slides between the rows of pins perfectly and you can gently bend them all back into place. And... if that doesn't work, you can use the credit card to buy a new P4. (Which is what I ended up having to do).