Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Sticker Drift

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Djpr1 1:12 AM - 29 July, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Hi,
How can I eliminate sticker drift on relative mode?
On absolute mode it works perfect, but I always use relative to take advantage of quick shortcutz, cue points etc.
I'm using the denon 3700 with timecode cd's. Any heavy scratching or beat juggling it drifts pretty bad.

Thanks for your help
Dj Nando
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:00 AM - 29 July, 2010
Hey Dj Nando,

Sounds like perhaps your Scratch Live isn't calibrated properly.
You can follow the calibration guide here : www.serato.com

Also, what is your USB buffer size set to in the setup screen?

Do you have 'Hi-fi resampler' ticked in the setup screen? does it help with the sticker drift?

Cheers :)
Djpr1 3:35 AM - 29 July, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply Logan, but yes they are calibrated pretty good. My circles are pretty nice and round also 100% on the signal. Hi-fi is checked also. Buffer size is @ the second line I'm running a 2.8ghz core2duo macbook pro. Like I mention before this only happens in relative mode. I've been reading around the forums and everybody says that this is an issue in relative mode that never got fixed, I don't know whether is true or not. Also remember I'm on cd players. It drifts very slowly backwards while scratching a sample or whatever.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.......
Again, Thank You
Djpr1 1:44 AM - 30 July, 2010
Any other suggestions?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:43 AM - 30 July, 2010
-Make sure Key lock / Temp-Lock is off.

-Can you try adding a few seconds to the "Vinyl start offset" under the "Vinyl Control" tab in the Setup screen?

-Do you have the latest Denon firmware upgrade? I suggest you upgrade to the latest if you don't

Let me know how you go :)
Djpr1 12:33 AM - 31 July, 2010
-key lock off

-tried adjusting the vinyl offset a lot of different ways (no luck)
Question tho, what does this have to do with drifting on cd's?

-yes the player has the latest firmware

Can you explain to me why is it that is perfect on absolute mode?

Relative is the problem.....I contacted my other friends and they confirmed my issue only on. Relative mode. Like I mention before it happens during heavy scratching or beat juggling. And we are all using denon 3700 and cdj's 1000.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:14 AM - 2 August, 2010
Relative mode pays attention to whether the CD is going back and fourth, not the exact position of the time-code CD like ABS mode does. Sometimes when you move it fast back and fourth in relative mode it loses, skips or misses some of the movement, especially if the USB buffer size is high.

What do you have your USB buffer size set to in the setup screen?
If your computer can handle a lower Latency setting then try lowering it and seeing if this fixes it.
Djpr1 2:48 PM - 2 August, 2010
My latency is at the lowest setting I run a pretty powerful macbook pro. Latency is very good with no pops and very responsive. My only issue with serato is the sticker drift on relative mode. If you think of anything else please let me know. Maybe the developers can do something for the next release, I know is not easy but it can be done. I used virtual dj before serato and there is no sticker drift in any mode at all. Of course not comparing serato with vdj as a software just comparing the sticker drift.

Appreciate all your help Logan...
VP 10:20 PM - 2 August, 2010
the problem could also be with your cd player that the rubber thing going from the motor to the platter is getting weak.
i have the 5000 denon players with this issue. had to open them up and put different rubber band.

u could test the player with regular cds and still see the same drift.
Djpr1 11:21 PM - 2 August, 2010
My 3700's are brand new and it also drift with cdj's 1000 and denon 1200's. so is definitely a software issue in relative mode, with vdj it does not drift.
Thanks VP
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:33 AM - 3 August, 2010
On your 3700, can you hold down the 'Memo' button and turn off the 'Audio Curve' setting. This could potentially affect the tracking when scratching.

The way to tell if it's Scratch Live or the player is to write down the exact time on the CD display at the cue point or sample being scratched, it that doesn't come back exactly then it's the player, if it does and SL is out then it's us and may be something we need to work on...

Let me know and I'll pass this on to the test team.

Cheers :)
Djpr1 1:06 AM - 3 August, 2010
- Yes, audio curve is been turned off since I got them. I also double checked to make sure.

- I just did the test you suggested and I have to tell you that Serato start it to drift slowly forward I could see it in the screen waveforms. While my 3700 always came back to the record it number. In other words SL is the problem. Hopefully there is a fix soon...

Thanks
Logan
K DoGG 5:56 AM - 3 August, 2010
I have this problem with Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3's also. only happens in rel mode not abs.
I don't have this problem when using vinyl cv's in rel mode.
Djpr1 7:42 PM - 4 August, 2010
Quote:
I have this problem with Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3's also. only happens in rel mode not abs.
I don't have this problem when using vinyl cv's in rel mode.

Same Here...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:51 AM - 5 August, 2010
Okay, so we have logged this as a bug for our developers to look into.

Thanks alot guys :)

Logan.