Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Why do I get MPEGS not MP3's

Hot Boy 6:58 AM - 21 January, 2007
Everytime I download a song, it comes up as a mpeg, and will not play on my system. When I manually Type MP3 at the end of the title, it is fine, and SSL reconizes it. Will I allways have to type MP3 at the end, and if so, is everyone having to do it. (Sorry if I am not very tech savy, I am a 1200 man).
Serato, Support
Matt G 8:11 AM - 21 January, 2007
What web browser are you using? On a Mac or PC? You're the first person to report having this problem, but we'll look into it and see what can be done at our end.
dj cubicle 3:28 PM - 21 January, 2007
Hmmm... it's not often I don't even have a place to start trying to help someone. Consider me stumped.
Hot Boy 5:48 PM - 21 January, 2007
I am using windows Internet Explorer. On a PC. On all the other sites that I use, I never have to type anything. It works fine. It is just Whitelabel.net
Serato, Support
Matt G 9:10 PM - 21 January, 2007
What version of Internet Explorer are you using?
Hot Boy 9:29 PM - 21 January, 2007
I did not know that explorer has versions. LOL. All I know is the new one (updated) and the old one. If that is what you are talking about, it is the new one. If not, sorry! All I know is that all the other sites work so I dont think that it is a explorer problem. But hey, I just work in radio!!
Serato, Support
Matt G 9:41 PM - 21 January, 2007
Oh it's definitely something we can fix at our end. Sorry to confuse. I just want to get as much information as possible, to make it easier to fix :)
Hot Boy 10:36 PM - 21 January, 2007
For now, I will continue to type MP3 at the end. Is there a setting that I may need to change?
Serato, Support
Matt G 11:43 PM - 21 January, 2007
I've just found a way to fix this problem from your end:

Open 'My Computer', go into the 'Tools' menu, select 'Folder Options', select the 'View' tab, untick 'Hide extensions for known file types', click 'Ok'.

With that box unticked, Internet Explorer will leave the .mp3 on the end of the filename so you won't have to type it yourself.
Hot Boy 12:30 AM - 22 January, 2007
Well, i tried that and all it did was add .mpeg at the end, so now I must delete .mpeg and add .mp3! any other guesses?
Serato, Support
Matt G 12:47 AM - 22 January, 2007
Hm. I can't duplicate that here...

When you click the link to download the track, a box should pop up asking you whether you want to save the file or open it. Above the buttons it should say "Type: MP3 Format Sound". What type does your box say?
Hot Boy 2:17 AM - 22 January, 2007
Mines Says "Movie clip"
Serato, Support
Matt G 3:33 AM - 22 January, 2007
Ah. That's not good :)

You could try following the steps described in this Microsoft document (support.microsoft.com), and associate one of the wl.mp3 files with the app you use to play/manage mp3s (eg iTunes or Windows Media Player). It sounds as though there's an incorrect file association in your Windows setup.
kev_the_dj 6:19 AM - 22 January, 2007
Well...an MP3 is technically an MPEG. Or maybe I have my file types wrong again.
Daim 12:28 PM - 22 January, 2007
i think you simply got the filetype associated with the wrong application.. which is renaming them when downloading.. maybe.. maybe not
dj cubicle 4:04 PM - 22 January, 2007
Do you have anything listed under Tools \ Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer? Maybe something there is hijacking the download?
Hot Boy 9:33 PM - 28 January, 2007
Okay Matt, I don't have a clue on what you just said. What does all that mean?
Serato, Support
Matt G 6:16 AM - 29 January, 2007
You'll need to read the instructions in the page I linked. When you're up to the stage where you select a program to open the file, browse to a program like iTunes or Windows Media Player (or whatever is your favoured music playing program) and select that. And make sure that you're ticked the box for "Always use the selected program".

The problem with your system seems to be wrong file type associations. Following the steps in the linked document should fix the file associations.
DJ Dominus 2:44 PM - 31 January, 2007
Quote:
Well...an MP3 is technically an MPEG. Or maybe I have my file types wrong again.

You are correct. MP3 = MPEG Layer 3.
Chrisssss 11:15 PM - 31 January, 2007
Its better to say MPEG Audio Layer 3, because of its not the Viedo layer