DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rubber pads for the buttons on Rane 68

j_dim 5:43 PM - 26 July, 2010
why didnt rane think of using rubber pads for the 68 the same pads on the midi controllers, the buttons are hard to press and not that responsive. Same goes for the 57.
they should think about using the rubber pads in the new mixers they design.
DJWarrenKelly 9:08 PM - 26 July, 2010
+1

I had originally purchased this mixer due to the position of the cue points but I agree it's hard on the fingers and you have to position the cue point on SSL slightly before the beat or sample ,etc. in order to get the proper timing...Just got my Dicers so I'll probably be bangin on these instead...so I'm not sure at this point that I even need the 68..maybe I'll go back to my DJM800
J.J. 1:02 AM - 27 July, 2010
+1

The Cue Buttons are like stone and have to be pressed hard to engage any Cues. Why weren't rubber drum pads used like on Denon's table top DN-S3700?

I'm assuming they had to be very durable. But my fingers feel the pain after a session.

I'm wish RANE will issue a rubber button kit that you can install on the Sixty-Eight. I love this mixer, but this is my biggest disappointment.
ancientyouth 2:09 AM - 27 July, 2010
+1
I just sent mine in to get repaired..... The #1 right cue button went out, even asked them on the phone why they didn't go with those, maybe even velocity sensitive for the sp6 and midi etc.... I've never had those pads ever go out on me......
Henry GQ 8:24 PM - 27 July, 2010
+1
i have said this from day one. and people called me a pussy. well fuck all of you.

and then someone said its because the buttons would break easier, and thats why they went with these buttons.
thats still lame.ive had numerous soft touch midi controllers and the buttons still work. and guess what if they brake.send the mixer in. who cares... sigh
Henry GQ 8:24 PM - 27 July, 2010
i think rane should anyones wish to ship their mixer in to change out the buttons. NUFF SAID
DMacTheDon 7:39 PM - 1 August, 2010
I also have stated numerous times that i would have LOVED the cue buttons to be rubber pads like they looked in the pics....
RapMaRz 2:55 AM - 2 August, 2010
I've had my 68 the 1st week it came out...

current status: Cue 1 on Left Deck has BIG ISSUES on pressing. I dont have FAT fingers that will break this so easily. I rarely tap this buttons (even though u have to touch them a certain way because they were made weird) but now I have to send in so it can get the 1 button fixed :( TTM57 all over again

Note: I really like this mixer, best mixer i've used, but this is sad
ancientyouth 3:56 AM - 2 August, 2010
U didn't think posting that once was enough?
scratchlive.net
RapMaRz 4:36 AM - 2 August, 2010
nope, it fits better in this section
DJWarrenKelly 8:10 PM - 2 August, 2010
Quote:
U didn't think posting that once was enough?
scratchlive.net

Lol..I thought I had read this before.

"Look at me, look at me" lol
DJScottC 2:00 AM - 7 August, 2010
I do agree the hard buttons do not give an accurate response when pressed. Rubber buttons would have been a lot easier on the fingers!
Mr.Nice 2:28 AM - 7 August, 2010
+1
DMacTheDon 7:31 PM - 16 September, 2010
+111111111111111 we were all tricked by the pics!!! They pulled the ol' switcheroo we thought we were getting rubber/silicone pads like on a midi controller or MPC but instead we got STONE!!! aaahhh you got us Rane, must have been april fools at the factory when they did it... Good one ;)
Henry GQ 7:41 PM - 16 September, 2010
^^^ LOL^^^

thats how i feel now. i paid 2100 bucks for nothing. the program doesnt work very well with the mixer. serato has become a joke. they forgot what made them famous. stability. good quality products. ive had the rane 68 for months now. its craashed on me several times. non of the settings work. i lose library stuff all the time..

and all they say is post in the help forum.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU SERATO!?!?!?!?!?!?!

its not like u can say free that i get free updates. cuz thats not t ruth. i paid for the sl1 box. i had a ttm57 sl. i bought the VSl plug in, i have an sl-3. i have a rane 68. i just bought the novation dicer thats a serato official midi device. CMON!

i paid for wack ass updates... basically

sooo disappointed.
Res-Q 8:10 PM - 16 September, 2010
I feel you Henry, I sometimes even wonder if the coders/programmers that made SL such a great software are still Serato employees. Maybe there's been a lot of turnover since somewhere around 2.0 and the new guys need some time to adapt.
I love my 68 but went through quite a lot of pain too. I'm lucky I had two 57 and only sold one. I played out with the 68 once, the rest has always been using it at home/studio & the 57 live.
However I see Serato steppin' up and solving problems with each betas, so I'm sure it will be rock solid pretty soon. I'd rather see the cup half full, than half empty.

But I def think Rane/Serato should have waited for this fall to release the 68 so all of us first users wouldnt have been through all the fuss, and they could have perfected the hardware too. The cue buttons of course, but also the rotary/push knobs which failed on me and dont work when pressing them anymore. On Rane's behalf, my customer service has been 1st class with my different hardware problems, they even sent me some extra knobs, but those also broke somehow only a few days later. Now I just take off those rubber knobs and scroll/push straight on the metal tip.
Kepik 10:43 PM - 16 September, 2010
All these complaints about the cue buttons makes me wonder if Rane will eventually build a revision of the mixer. If so, I will just wait a little longer before jumping ship and getting a 68
Henry GQ 1:42 AM - 17 September, 2010
who knows kepik...

but i think there must have been some turn over or soemthing within the company. the person whos calling the shots needs to have his fuckin head examined!

theres a huge rumor that the dude that built Mix Emergency used to work at serato. and Me kicks VSL's ass all over the fuckin place. so what does that tell you..
nik39 1:44 AM - 17 September, 2010
1st. What does ME has to do with the mixer discussion?

2nd. Enlighten us... what should this "theres a huge rumor that the dude that built Mix Emergency used to work at serato. and Me kicks VSL's ass all over the fuckin place." tell us?
Henry GQ 1:49 AM - 17 September, 2010
nik39 if u cant figure it out. then i dunno what to tell you. use ur head and think a little bit bud.
nik39 1:51 AM - 17 September, 2010
Someone who worked for Serato does not work for Serato anymore. At some point he decided to code a pluging which works like VSL. Big deal.
nik39 1:51 AM - 17 September, 2010
And... What does ME has to do with the mixer discussion?

Tell us.
Henry GQ 2:02 AM - 17 September, 2010
you mean... tell you.

noone else is asking.
Dj Ace 6:07 AM - 17 September, 2010
2.1 is a very ambitious project and they will get the bugs sorted out...THEY always do! The software as more features included in this version than they have included in the history of scratchlive...give them time ladies and gentleman they are definitely committed to getting it work flawlessly on all platforms...

yeah as far as the mixer midi buttons do do kinda suck compared to other controllers (been testing them heavily as of late) but the mixer effects, sound quality, two usb ports, flexible routing, (with the bridge, sp6, and effects) are top notch. I love this mixer and cant wait to see what the future hold....probably will need a supercomputer tho...
nik39 1:14 PM - 17 September, 2010
Quote:
you mean... tell you.

noone else is asking.

Uh yeah, let's start the nitpicking.

Tell me.
DJWarrenKelly 2:58 PM - 17 September, 2010
I could swear the thread says "Rubber pads for the buttons on Rane 68" not another "Lets slam the $#*! out of Serato" thread...Back to the rubber pads complaining plz!!!! ;-P
Marine 5:01 PM - 19 September, 2010
That's why I sold my sixty eight
RapMaRz 4:25 AM - 20 September, 2010
why dont they start making rubber buttons designed to go over the buttons that we have now. They would be a bit bigger cause they go right over like an iPhone Case does to an iPhone. I myself dont care if those cue buttons wont light up as long as we have rubber buttons. It would be a great fix to offer these 10 rubber button covers for FREE. Just a thought (Apple gave FREE cases to fix the iPhone 4)

:)
j_dim 10:37 AM - 20 September, 2010
i hope they update the TTM57 and use Rubber Pads for the buttons put in a SL3 inside it, and add some knobs/buttons for EFX.
Res-Q 1:17 PM - 20 September, 2010
yeah, and add a coffee maker too
DMacTheDon 6:07 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
why dont they start making rubber buttons designed to go over the buttons that we have now. They would be a bit bigger cause they go right over like an iPhone Case does to an iPhone. I myself dont care if those cue buttons wont light up as long as we have rubber buttons. It would be a great fix to offer these 10 rubber button covers for FREE. Just a thought (Apple gave FREE cases to fix the iPhone 4)

:)

Would be nice if they were rubber, but dont know if it would make them anymore responsive as someone said here -

Quote:
About the stone cue buttons:
This is the problem , They are too close one each other and the one who designed the mixer decided leave it like that (there is not more space)
SO: they made the internal contacts cue switches on the bottom part of each cue button. Thats wile it's so hard for dj's because the real contact it's not in the middle of the cue button it's on the bottom part of each cue button.
It s.....ks !!! ..... because when you are live performing using cues or samples , what you need 100% real time buttons , no matter how soft or hard do you press the button it must have to work on real time.... (68 you have to press it with a hammer , and sometimes fails) This is not good....
Thats wile others brands making sample players or musicians gear they use silicone buttons , they're comfortable , real time and doesn't break any fingers......

The problem seems to be between the inside/bottom of the button and the contact not the top of the buttonsa (the hard plastic we feel instead of the rubber we wanted and expected)...

Not sure why no one at Rane hasn't came out and given us sixty eight owners an explanation as to the reasoning behind these little blocks of stone we call cue buttons..
Res-Q 7:07 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Not sure why no one at Rane hasn't came out and given us sixty eight owners an explanation as to the reasoning behind these little blocks of stone we call cue buttons..

They did: Longevity/Durability is the answer. I guess time will tell.

I remember in the club I was in the mid 90's we had those DN2000 cd players with ruber cue and play buttons, these suckers never lasted long.
Pioneer chose to use the same type of technology (maybe for the same reason, seeing how it was a flaw on their rival of the time Denon) on their early CDJ's for the plastic loop buttons (anyone remember how they felt?)
On MPC's I've seen quite a few buttons dying too. I havent used a recent gear with rubbers (nh), they might handle heavy beating better.
Morality, use MKII's not cd players, but for mixers I guess we're stuck with what we chose and have to deal with it. I'm getting more used to those buttons, but the dicers are a great enhancement for those who use MKIIs and the 68.
djcrap 7:17 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

They did: Longevity/Durability is the answer. I guess time will tell.

I remember in the club I was in the mid 90's we had those DN2000 cd players with ruber cue and play buttons, these suckers never lasted long.
Pioneer chose to use the same type of technology (maybe for the same reason, seeing how it was a flaw on their rival of the time Denon) on their early CDJ's for the plastic loop buttons (anyone remember how they felt?)
On MPC's I've seen quite a few buttons dying too. I havent used a recent gear with rubbers (nh), they might handle heavy beating better.
Morality, use MKII's not cd players, but for mixers I guess we're stuck with what we chose and have to deal with it. I'm getting more used to those buttons, but the dicers are a great enhancement for those who use MKIIs and the 68.

yes i highly agree about Rane choosing to use plastic buttons

cause i have my ttm57 i bought 3 years ago and the nobles are rubber and to my knowledge my nobles are cracked with cuts all over them and worn out with friction from my fingers cause of nob twisting just like how old rubber looks like with small holes and cuts all over
Res-Q 7:38 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
and worn out with friction from my fingers cause of TITS twisting just like how old rubber looks like with small holes and cuts all over

My rubbers look like that after I'm done using them... but I'm not sure we're talking about the same rubbers?
djcrap 9:17 PM - 20 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
and worn out with friction from my fingers cause of TITS twisting just like how old rubber looks like with small holes and cuts all over

My rubbers look like that after I'm done using them... but I'm not sure we're talking about the same rubbers?

hahahahahahahhaahahahaha i for got the no Homo at the end...lol
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:33 PM - 21 September, 2010
They are "cue buttons" and for that purpose they are rock solid and i have no problems......i use them all the time now to drop tracks in on beat...SOLID

If you want to drum on them or fancy trickery get a controller with pads.......easy

Even on a controller like apc40 there are hard buttons for some functions.
Henry GQ 6:24 PM - 25 September, 2010
i wonder if anyone is gonna attempt to put their own buttons in the mixer.
Henry GQ 6:25 PM - 25 September, 2010
kinda liek the buttons from ean goldens videos..
AddPop 8:53 AM - 27 September, 2010
I just use dicers. Gave up on that hard button mess.
DJWarrenKelly 4:26 PM - 27 September, 2010
Quote:
I just use dicers. Gave up on that hard button mess.

+1
But I wished the Dicers worked on a channel 1 and 4 configuration..can only use them with the 68 and ch. 1 and 2...need a fix for that!
Res-Q 5:10 PM - 27 September, 2010
^^^^ +1
AddPop 6:27 PM - 27 September, 2010
So true.
firestitchfilms 5:48 PM - 30 September, 2010
+1
But I wished the Dicers worked on a channel 1 and 4 configuration..can only use them with the 68 and ch. 1 and 2...need a fix for that!

Hmm. I was thinking about the dicers as well. But I already have the denon hc1000s, and It too, only works on channels 1&2. I was hoping to at least map the dicers to channels 3&4. I know I can map midis on 3&4 to a different scene(on the 68), but switching scenes during a mix is kind of a pain in the bootie, especially if I'm mixing more than two tracks, with just two decks. I'm not a huge fan of the cue buttons, but I don't hate them, just taking time to get the feel of them is all. Some have said they don't work on time or whatever. They work for me, and I think are just as accurate as a rubber pad. Maybe more? You just can't slap at them like rubber, they have to click in to engage is all.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:01 PM - 30 September, 2010
4 Deck Dicer + 68 = Win
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:06 PM - 30 September, 2010
Quote:
I bet there a lot more people like me who are watching this thread as they weigh in on whether to buy this mixer.
firestitchfilms 6:31 PM - 30 September, 2010
Oh, so after my last post, I did a little reading on the denon. I downloaded the efx midi map setup. (which Dub Cowboy posted awhile ago, I thought it was just for FX, but you can overwrite the maps for that.) You can select up to 3 midi setups for the hc1000s, aside from stock setting. I can map everything I need now. Sickness.

68+Denon HC1000s= Win Win
Dj Ace 1:27 AM - 1 October, 2010
Quote:
Oh, so after my last post, I did a little reading on the denon. I downloaded the efx midi map setup. (which Dub Cowboy posted awhile ago, I thought it was just for FX, but you can overwrite the maps for that.) You can select up to 3 midi setups for the hc1000s, aside from stock setting. I can map everything I need now. Sickness.

68+Denon HC1000s= Win Win

yes sirrrrr maybe that is why I LOVE my 68 so much
Henry GQ 3:47 AM - 1 October, 2010
has anyopne experienced that half way thru the night. all ur cues or loop rolls wont work ??
AddPop 4:08 AM - 1 October, 2010
Quote:
has anyopne experienced that half way thru the night. all ur cues or loop rolls wont work ??

on the software or on a particular midi controller.
Henry GQ 5:11 AM - 1 October, 2010
on the rane 68 and software.
AddPop 5:46 AM - 1 October, 2010
Did you accidentally set your tables in scratch to ABS instead of REL? I've done that before and it drove me crazy for 2 days.
Henry GQ 6:44 AM - 2 October, 2010
nope. i never do. and woud realize the difference betweem the 2. it didnt happen tonight(fri)... which was weird. but wed half way thru th night. no cue points or loop rolls :(
AddPop 6:59 AM - 2 October, 2010
Henry GQ 7:02 AM - 2 October, 2010
yeah man.. im clueless.
Res-Q 7:10 PM - 2 October, 2010
Henry, I got the same thing happening yesterday night during my live video mix on ustream.
After about 3-4 hours, all of a sudden, I realized I couldnt load any track using Ctrl + arrow. I had to drag the tracks manually, so I looked around and I noticed the cues on the 68 not working also.... well for some reason, and I'm sure I didnt press this button, but the Layer/Shift button was engaged.
Henry GQ 7:41 AM - 5 October, 2010
yeah man... that doesnt sound too good either. just keep waiting for them to fix it. i think we all need an explanation as to whats going on or whats being done. a simple update would be nice. or an email to all the rane 68 owners.
Res-Q 8:31 AM - 5 October, 2010
Did you open a help Ticket Henry? I didnt for this problem because I had no crash report, and I got no idea how to reproduce it.
Henry GQ 9:40 PM - 8 October, 2010
no i didnt even bother. i just figured someone else would report it LOL. im too busy as of late. and too lazy. and in a way tired of reporting bugs.. its not my job.
Res-Q 11:59 PM - 8 October, 2010
I dont think its a matter of "Job", but DJing is my part-job so I feel concerned about SL's stability so I reports whenever I can, although not always.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:54 PM - 11 October, 2010
Its impossible for us to try every combination on every imaginable computer out there. Please keep the reports coming. Many people use the program in an entirely different way than I do. Trust me, I take calls and hear all kinds of things that people try and do.

So while we test everything the best we can, there are always going to be some things Serato didn't try. If you find something, let us know, that way we can improve the software for you and anyone else trying to do what you are.
Dj Intel Army 7:58 PM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
Its impossible for us to try every combination on every imaginable computer out there. Please keep the reports coming. Many people use the program in an entirely different way than I do. Trust me, I take calls and hear all kinds of things that people try and do.

So while we test everything the best we can, there are always going to be some things Serato didn't try. If you find something, let us know, that way we can improve the software for you and anyone else trying to do what you are.

Any words on the buttons?
My 68 is currently on the way, and I'm sure there's a great reason for them as opposed to pads
DJScottC 4:20 PM - 2 November, 2010
My Buttons have stopped work correctly on my 68 as well. They were never really all that accurate from the get go but now I have to figure out how I am going to work while my mixer is gone for 2+ weeks? I do feel a 6 month old $2600 mixer should last a wee bit longer especially one with a RANE logo on it!
Chilote 4:50 PM - 2 November, 2010
lo único que necesitamos es que funcione bien nada más no importa si son de madera, goma, plástico, titanio o lo que sea

all we need is nothing that works no matter if they are wood,
plastic, rubber, titanium or whatever

( SORRY FOR TRADUCTION )
Dj Intel Army 4:55 PM - 2 November, 2010
what.
DJBIGWIZ 7:51 PM - 2 November, 2010
Quote:
what.

hahahaha
Dj Ace 12:30 AM - 3 November, 2010
talk to rane using a customer support number and they WILL take care of you
RapMaRz 7:30 PM - 6 November, 2010
i dont know if this has been said cause I havent read up on this in a while, but I just got dicers 2 weeks ago...Oh my the magic I can create, its so smooth on cues and other stuff. the mixer buttons are not good for cues so u can remap them and buy some dicers, its only $100 extra, money well spent, trust me :)

and i know, we all spent zillions on this mixer, but we're DJs, we're always gonna be spending money....Like the time I spent $40 to see someone milk a cow (what is this family guy)
JINX 6:06 AM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
+1
I just sent mine in to get repaired..... The #1 right cue button went out, even asked them on the phone why they didn't go with those, maybe even velocity sensitive for the sp6 and midi etc.... I've never had those pads ever go out on me......

@ Ancientyouth, I had the same issue with my right cue button and it must be a hardware issue. I made a post a couple of months back regarding the cue buttons and people said I should suck it up and my response was they should suck their momma's C@*ts!!! The buttons are indeed to hard and they do not allow for and swing when you are remixing a song on the fly. Hell, if you hit the buttons to hard you may break the damn mixer. I use the dicers and the Denon HC-100. But my real question is why the f*ck should I use those products if I paid $2,600 for the mixer. Obviously NOVATION and Denon did not see an issue with rubber pads for thier devices, so why should Rane? Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Sixty-Eight but much like Love in a Marriage, shit can go sour QUICK and I will divorce this bitch of a mixer if things are't addressed in later updates soon..
firestitchfilms 8:27 PM - 14 November, 2010
Has anyone talked to the guys who put arcade game buttons on your mixer? I was thinking about getting the left strip with NBA Jam buttons, and the right strip with Street Fighter buttons. So I could do flaming slam dunks and Hyru-kens on fools during a mix.
DJScottC 8:53 PM - 14 November, 2010
I have the Denon 3700's and in the Hy-bred Mode you can map all the buttons for Scratch Live and the Hot starts on there are way better then the ones on the DJ mixer. In the Hy-bred mode the players work great!
AddPop 5:52 AM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:
Has anyone talked to the guys who put arcade game buttons on your mixer? I was thinking about getting the left strip with NBA Jam buttons, and the right strip with Street Fighter buttons. So I could do flaming slam dunks and Hyru-kens on fools during a mix.

<Like>
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:51 PM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:

I like this :)
J.J. 9:04 PM - 18 November, 2010
Like DJScottC, I recently mapped my DN-S3700 in MIDI and use the Direct Drive platter in HYBRID. I love this combination. Denon uses a nice drum pad like rubber buttons for things commonly pushed such as Loops and Hot Cues. I even got a NI Kontrol S4 and all the buttons are lovely, rubber like and durable. RANE needs to make an add on to switch out the rock buttons that don't always engage.

Serato will never Natively Support the DN-S3700 because they want revenue on each unit sold. However, at the very least SSL could support:

• It takes 2 buttons to create and enable a Cue point. It should be combined to the same button. Like all Natively Supported Controllers.
• Expand/Contract a crate should be the same MIDI function, not two. Combine it with the tracks to crate button like the DN-HC4500
• MIDI duplicate track to the 3rd and 4th deck. We still have to use the mouse to drag and drop a song to duplicate for the sampler and 3rd and 4th deck.
• MIDI loop selection should also be controlled by buttons, not just knobs.
• MIDI out for LEDs and some display
• MIDI layer button. When enabled, all buttons can be MIDI programmed for something else.
• MIDI shift buttons (Hold down 1 button for another layer) This can be done in the XML but it is difficult for novice users.
• MIDI Jog Wheel support. I'm not talking about hacking the DN-HC4500 XML
• In HYBRID, SSL resets to INTERNAL mode after 15 minutes even though it's a looped signal.
Henry GQ 11:44 PM - 5 April, 2011
hey guys check out thsi thread and do soemthing about ur cue buttons!

serato.com
DJWarrenKelly 11:49 PM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
hey guys check out thsi thread and do soemthing about ur cue buttons!

serato.com

Nope..I like them the way they are.
djtwizta 2:42 AM - 25 February, 2014
+1