Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Is this "Pitch Drifting" ??

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djtrippin 9:08 AM - 22 July, 2004
I just set up my SSL and everything seems to be working correctly, however, when playing a song at normal 0+/- speed on my turntable, the serato software displays that it is playing usually around -0.01 to -0.04.. tends to 'drift' between those settings.. if my turntable is at 0, shouldnt the software read also display 0, or is this just a digital feature displaying an INSANELY acurate (or slightly inacurate) read of turntable speed? Last time I had my turntables looked at by a shop they were said to be perfect (pitch control wise, etc.)..

I am using Technics 1200mk2's and as far as my computer, im running a custom build... asus motherboard, 1.8ghz processor 256RAM and reading mp3's off of a 7200rpm samsung 160gig HD... so I don't think the problem is due to any inferior equipment on my end..

I did further investigation of this forum and read all about the "pitch drifting" problem and was wondering if maybe the display of a song not reading at 0 when set to 0 on my table may be what I'm expieriencing? I haven't actually noticed (as in heard) the "drift" while MIXING since I've yet to try that out yet (just tried some record playback and scratching since I just got this up today), but.. someone clue me in?? Is this NORMAL? Should I not be so anal and just assume all is fine?

Sorry if this is worded confusingly.. I'd post screen shots of the dilema but I am uncertain if this forum allows that.

Thanks...
djtrippin 9:15 AM - 22 July, 2004
Correction, I meant to say that the display of pitch sped usually reads +0.01.... +0.02... etc. etc... never a DEAD on 0 read..... thanks.
DjM 11:10 AM - 22 July, 2004
Is it normal don't worry ;)
technics and others turntables are not perfectly stable...
nik39 11:18 AM - 22 July, 2004
www.scratchlive.net

Known issue, fix is on the way.
Couin 12:25 PM - 22 July, 2004
Hi djtrippin !

How do you see +0,01 ... +0,02 ... ?
My SSL shows me only one number after the "," ... !¿

The drift come from control records... A SL1200 is enough stable for good mixing... :-)

Couin
nik39 12:42 PM - 22 July, 2004
Quote:
How do you see +0,01 ... +0,02 ... ?
My SSL shows me only one number after the "," ... !¿

Good question. Another good question how do you make that "?" up side down? :-)
Couin 1:03 PM - 22 July, 2004
LoL turn my keybord or turn my screen hihihihi
No, it's a prog ... Extended French Keyboard... I vdon't know if it runs on US keuboard ...
home-14.tiscali-business.nl

Couin
nik39 1:16 PM - 22 July, 2004
i tried to turn my keyboard upside down, but that doesnt work, its a laptop over here ;-) BTW, German keyboard over here... I was just curious. I dont know why, but somehow the "?" (flipped) looks stylish (I come from graffiti section) ! :-)
Couin 2:20 PM - 22 July, 2004
I found it funny haha , the "¿" ;-)
nik39 2:32 PM - 22 July, 2004
BTW, if you look closely enough, you can see a face in your last "?" up-side down in quotation marks... a face with a big nose :-))
Couin 2:37 PM - 22 July, 2004
LOOOOOOL :-P
Couin 2:38 PM - 22 July, 2004
°¿° Hihihihi
V