Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

New Music...How Often?

L.Demo"Neo" 10:43 PM - 17 January, 2007
What up peoples?I'm posting this cause I really don't know...and I really am not gonna go through all the postings so...here I go...How Often will Whitelabel.Net recieve the new music that comes from the record labels?Today is the first time I download 2 songs and It doesn't seem like alot of variety in the download section....and when I do download the little window opens and has the three buttons"Open",Save",and some other i can't remember...which one do i hit or does it go directly to the whitelabel folder when i hit open.Or should I save it?....Sorry for all the questions...Take care fellas and be kool.
dj cubicle 12:23 AM - 18 January, 2007
Couldn't take the time to look in the FAQ, just in case, possibly, 800 people had already asked?

Sorry, I'm grumpy, but man up a little and do some homework.
L.Demo"Neo" 5:52 PM - 25 January, 2007
Thanks.,but if your grumpy..get a girl to handle that unless you like"Carne de burro"...Let me translate that for you...oh no...maybe i shouldn't ..but man up a little and do some homework...Huele Bicho!
dj cubicle 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2007
Being an internet gangster makes you cool.
ninjaty 5:07 AM - 29 January, 2007
What is Whitelabel.net?
The Serato Whitelabel Delivery Network, or Whitelabel.net for short, is a digital delivery service for promotional releases of new music. Record labels are looking for new ways to deliver new releases to DJs, and Serato has designed Whitelabel.net to cater for just this need. For you, the DJ, this means fresh new music delivered directly to you, in a format that is ready to play in Scratch LIVE!

Whitelabel.net is currently in beta, and will be officially launched in January 2007.

How do I get music?
When you sign in to Whitelabel.net, click on the "Download" tab and you will see a list of the new releases available for download. Click on a release to see more information, and to preview and download tracks. Many releases will contain several tracks, for example an album version, an instrumental version, and an a cappella version. Each new release will have a dedicated thread in the Release Feedback area, where you can talk about the release with other DJs.

What file format does Whitelabel.net use?
Whitelabel.net uses a custom file format: Whitelabel MP3s (file extension .wl.mp3). These files will play as a low quality preview in any MP3 player, and a high quality version within Serato Scratch LIVE (minimum version 1.6.3). The Whitelabel.net format files are specially prepared for use in Scratch LIVE - they have had their overviews built, they are tagged with song and artist info, BPM, and album art where possible. The file will be the equivalent in quality to a 320kbps MP3 when played in Scratch LIVE (again, minimum version 1.6.3).

What's all that stuff in the downloads page?
The downloads page is divided in two. Releases from the last week are at the top, and all other releases are down below. You can search through the releases by typing in the search boxes.
For any of the releases, if you click on the release name, artist name, label or genre, it will give you more info, including the buttons to preview (play icon) and download (down arrow). In the near future you will also be able to click on a download icon in the release header to download a zip file containing all the tracks in a release.
If you click on the i button next to the release name, you'll see a detailed view of the release.

What music will be available on Whitelabel.net?
That depends on the labels. Some labels will release some tracks to all Whitelabel.net users, while other labels may restrict a release to a small group of Whitelabel.net users, for example DJs who have hip hop mix shows on US radio, or DJs who have residencies in clubs. Some labels may stagger releases, so that in the first week, it goes to just DJs with radio shows, and in the second week it goes to all Whitelabel.net users.

Which labels will be releasing music through Whitelabel.net?
We expect that the first few releases will be from the "Major Labels", and will most likely be US hip hop, given our strength in that market. However, we are working with labels from other countries, other genres and smaller independent labels.

Why does my friend see different releases on Whitelabel.net?
Serato provides tools to record labels to allow them to send to a limited set of DJs, for example, the radio mix show DJs mentioned above. Serato will not be creating or maintaining these lists. If you want to get more new music, or if you want to get it sooner, you need to get on the label's VIP list! There many ways to do this - we will be working with existing promoters, digital delivery systems and record pools - being on their lists will get you more new music!

What is Serato's role in Whitelabel.net?
Whitelabel.net was designed, built and is wholely owned by Serato Audio Research. Whitelabel.net is represented in the USA by Jeff Diones.
To contact Serato Audio Research and Jeff please email: whitelabel@serato.com.

What web browser can I use?
We use lots of cool Web 2.0 technology, at the moment we support IE7, Safari and Firefox. There will be some limited support for IE6. You need to have javascript and cookies enabled on your browser.

How much does it cost?
Nothing. It's free for the DJ.

What version of Scratch LIVE do I need to play Whitelabel.net files?
You need at least version 1.6.3

What happens if I try to play a Whitelabel.net file in an old version of Scratch LIVE?
It will play, but you'll only hear the low quality preview version.

Can I use the files outside of Scratch LIVE?
Yes, but you'll only hear the low quality preview version.

Can I give it to my friend?
Nope. That would be illegal, just like giving an MP3 to your friend. For the full terms and conditions of using Whitelabel.net, click here: beta.whitelabel.net

What is Serato doing to protect my privacy?
Record labels will be able to see which tracks a DJ has previewed, and which tracks a DJ has downloaded, but they will only see the DJs forum display name. Your email address will not be given to anyone.
L.Demo"Neo" 11:35 PM - 29 January, 2007
Thanks ninjaty.Now Dj Cuticle....C'mon dawg...lighten up...I didn't write that to make any one angry,upset,GRUMPY....You played yourself out by responding like that..just be lucky i don't know where you live cause I would have some new equipment right now...:) I got what i need...which was the Info.from someone decent....I'm outty..One.
dj cubicle 3:12 PM - 30 January, 2007
Threaten to jack my stuff after being called an Internet gangster, now that's what I consider playing yourself out. You entertain me though, so I'll play along.
DJJAZZ 1:17 AM - 4 February, 2007
there's a question that u didn't answered about
" How Often will Whitelabel.Net recieve the new music that comes from the record labels?Today is the first time I download 2 songs and It doesn't seem like alot of variety in the download section "

And another thing plz when i downloaded a song it sounds very bad ( bass ) and they write on it 32 kbps :S i dont know maybe its 320 kbps and ma speakers can't afford that bass quality or wht ?
dj disturbed 6:54 PM - 4 February, 2007
its 32kbps outside of SSL... when played in SSL it should be 320 (as long as your using 1.6.3 or newer)

the issue about new tracks was answered in other threads...andthe answer was that this is just the beta test of Whitelable.... so they are not adding tracks all the time like they are going todo with the real one (whenever they finaly get it up and running)