Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

All things HACKINTOSH

djfotizo 3:59 AM - 17 June, 2010
Hey friends! Some of us PC guys have found our machines to have more than adequate specs to run Itch stable. That being said, these same machines can probably run OSX stable as well and provide some alternatives to buying a new Mac. If any of you have success running OSX on PC, please let us know your findings! Remember to support Apple by purchasing your OS disc :)

Let the discussion begin!

djfotizo
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 5:57 AM - 17 June, 2010
Hi djfotizo.

What you are describing is illegal and something strongly discourage.

We recommend that you support Apple by actually legally purchasing and using their products as laid out in here: www.apple.com

Sorry to be a killjoy :-(
Doctorjon 6:23 AM - 17 June, 2010
It is discouraged, but definitely not illegal to do such a thing. Even though the EULA says so. Apple says they care, but they really don't because its helping their market share and only because they don't wanna give support for it. It just wouldn't make sense for a Apple computer to run Windows, but Windows cannot run OS X.
Doctorjon 6:26 AM - 17 June, 2010
If you are buying a legal copy of OS X and doing this and only for your personal use than its okay. If you were to go and do this and sell this, than you will be in trouble.

www.applematters.com
djcerla 2:16 PM - 17 June, 2010
Quote:
It is discouraged, but definitely not illegal to do such a thing

It's definitely illegal.
djcerla 2:17 PM - 17 June, 2010
If you guys suffer from OSX envy, just buy a genuine Macintosh. Best money spent in your life.
marcA 2:34 PM - 17 June, 2010
well i went that road to see if i could feel comfortable with osx after all these windows years....after lots of hours trying to get things running smoothly i gave up cause it didn't run smoothly, so for a proper functioning hackintosh you need hardware that is supported by it...
the easiest path is certainly getting a MB...but the most expensive if you just want to play around with it a bit.
it would be great if apple made a virtual machine with it for windows users to play with...
djcerla 3:25 PM - 17 June, 2010
Quote:
if you just want to play around with it

... just head to eBay and get a genuine Macbook, for cheaper than a new netbook.
Doctorjon 3:52 PM - 17 June, 2010
There is so much argument if it is illegal or not. I really don't wanna get into it, but i would still agree with everyone else. Don't waste your time and just get a genuine Apple product.
djfotizo 4:00 PM - 17 June, 2010
Quote:
Hi djfotizo.

What you are describing is illegal and something strongly discourage.

We recommend that you support Apple by actually legally purchasing and using their products as laid out in here: www.apple.com

Sorry to be a killjoy :-(

No worries Matt, I wasnt sure if you guys had been closing threads like this or if they had never started... I agree with Doctorjon that the verdict is still out on whether it is legal or illegal once you LEGALLY purchase your own disc and are not trying to sell a 'hackintosh' (but i understand where you are coming from). There are many users that have computers that are better than what apple is offering and need a place to discuss their experiences with OSX on them. In continuing support of Serato, this would have been a great place... :(
Doctorjon 4:00 PM - 17 June, 2010
Like i said, building a hackintosh with pirated OS X is illegal. Buying a Legal copy is okay. There are plenty of articles that state this.
djfotizo 4:08 PM - 17 June, 2010
I agree it is not illegal. There is copyright law and the EULA.

The EULA is the only place where it states that it is a breach of contract if you do not run it on Apple hardware (which isnt really apple hardware anyway lol).

That is entirely different from copyright violation and certainly not illegal. It is just a broken contract between the EU and Apple. (so i guess you get no support :)
djfotizo 4:54 PM - 17 June, 2010
Matt-C, the more i think about it, you are right. while it isnt illegal to load an authentic copy of OSX on a PC, i can see where this thread will go. before long discussion around pirated builds will start and those builds are in copyright violation and are illegal. please close this thread and I will post one at insanelymac for future discussion...
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:38 PM - 26 June, 2010
My HP hackintosh runs SSL like a camp, had dropouts in windows
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:38 PM - 26 June, 2010
like a champ*
djfotizo 7:12 PM - 14 July, 2010
Mine is running well too, but still use win7 more. Since neither one of them dropout even when recording, I have no reason to stick with the mac partition. Running 10.6.2 and Win7 Pro.
Drapol1 8:01 AM - 4 October, 2010
I recently bought Macbook.So I wanted to try it legally:) I did install Leopard and TinyXP (legal as well). I configured boot selector so I only have xp and mac. OSX starts in about a minute. Serato starts in about 20 seconds. Running smoothly at 5 , 4 , 3 ms. Seems work faster than on XP.No resolution problem. No audio glitches when going back to finder to copy track from usb pendrive (had that problem on xp). So far so good but I've only tested it in home enviroment. My Netbook (Samsung NC10) specs are: 1.6 atom single core 512mb cache, 2 gb ram 533 mhz (thinking about upgrade to 800mhz but not sure if there a point), btw stock wifi doesn't work but you can change network card so it works (now if i want to use internet I use xp), 3g Modem (so I can use internet:) it works perfect), ethernet works as well. So this makes my netbook perfect for gigs (fits perfect behind my TTM57 SL which makes perfect rectangle from my setup), there should be a 10 inch version of macbook:)
seratosnatch 9:05 PM - 4 October, 2010
I'm surprised that it can run Itch ok on a Atom processor. Atom is lighter than an Intel Core 2 duo. Apple should make OSX cross platform. Make Apple huge!
funny!
Drapol1 7:52 AM - 5 October, 2010
fo so! I actually Run Scratch Live not Itch and to be honest I'm really surprised so far:) Will do some more testing. One thing I noticed - drop out indicator doesn't show up if on latency 1ms or 10ms but I heard some droputs at 1ms so I went back to 2ms and it's fine.
DJWOK808 10:37 PM - 26 December, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 running hackintosh software iATKOS S3 Version 2 and it runs pretty smooth. However I can't seem to get scratch live running on it. The installation keeps failing.