Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Request: CVS for Whitelable

nik39 9:33 AM - 3 January, 2007
Hm, well I dont know. I think a CVS type of thing seems a lil bloat for me, as there is no reason to maintain multiple versions. What you are looking for is a type of one way sync. Once we have a system which tags tracks which we have already downloaded I think we should be fine. What do you think?
mexicannnnnn 10:05 AM - 3 January, 2007
One thing I would reaaaaaaaly like to see is a CVS type of system set up for this site. Here is how I picture it:

I log into the whitelable cvs system:

Update:
I do an update, this checks to see if any changes were made to the tracks I already downloaded... so if the whole track was re-encoded/replaced on the server then it would just download and replace it with the new version. If there was just a small error in a tag or filename then it would just fix that instead of dl'ing the whole track. If I changed any of the tags myself then I could choose to revert to new/old, keep what I have or merge the changes.

Checkout/in:
Then I could download a track and it would register (kind of like a checkout) in the system. If I don't like the track I could check it back in and never see it again (if you just delete it it will come back on the update.. depending on how its implemented).

Versions:
Well this is a bit tricky... I'm not sure if we should consider Acap, Inst, Radio/clean, Exp...etc as versions but it makes more sense then to use the standard versioning of a file.

Show new:
This could just show all the tracks I have not downloaded and not checked back in.

There are lots of other things you can do as well...
Talrinys 10:10 AM - 3 January, 2007
Well i definately agree with Mexicann, espically if this is implemented into the SSL client, it'll work very nicely.
mexicannnnnn 10:11 AM - 3 January, 2007
Oh we can integrate the rating system ( beta.whitelabel.net ) into this too... so when you do an update it will update the rating with the current average from the system.
ABM 7:05 PM - 5 January, 2007
for the sake of downloading files quickly and without having to track which ones i did download, I used a download manager (DownThemAll!) for firefox and set the option to skip over previously downloaded files. More robust ones can check if the new file is 'newer' or 'larger' then the previous ones? When they can filter out "chicken noodle soup" that will be very cool.