Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Dual monitor option

djkee 6:58 AM - 4 June, 2010
It's nice to be able to see the library browser full screen with no decks... thank you for adding that. However....

I'd like to have a dual monitor option to separate the library browser to a separate monitor and have the other display be only the decks view. It would be nice to be able to have the decks only - nice and big on an external monitor with my laptop off to the side for when I need to use the keyboard and mouse. It should be switchable which display view gets output to external in case I want to have it the other way around.
Dj Knockout101 1:12 PM - 4 June, 2010
I don't think this is a good idea, many DJ's don't carry another monitor to the club to DJ, If that's the case, the should just carry a whole desktop to the club. So since many to none DJ's carry extra monitors to the club, the option wouldn't be used often, so then Serato would waste valuable time. In that valuable time they can create another option that DJ's would use or speed up the process on the bridge. So -1
djkee 10:50 PM - 4 June, 2010
Firstly... Not everyone that uses Scratch Live is a club DJ that gigs from club to club... What about mobiles, closet DJs, recording artists, club resident DJs who only play at one club, etc?

And secondly, if I had a top notch club, I would have the computer monitor already installed in the booth, preferably somewhere right in front of the DJ, but not up high and obstructing the view that the DJ has of the dancefloor, with an external keyboard and mouse ready for them to use. I can't stand DJs who put their laptop up high right above the DJ mixer - it breaks the connection between the crowd and the DJ and the DJ will be looking at the screen all night instead of reading the room.

But really, the issue is it that would be nice to have a large full screen view of the decks - the same way you can view the library full screen in 2.0. Not to mention there should be no reason you couldn't have a 20-inch touchscreen monitor and interact directly with the decks on the screen - bypassing having to use things like keyboard hotkeys, mouse/trackpad, midi controllers, etc. to control the transport, loops, cues and pitch (if you are in internal mode)
Dj Knockout101 12:48 AM - 5 June, 2010
Quote:
Firstly... Not everyone that uses Scratch Live is a club DJ that gigs from club to club... What about mobiles, closet DJs, recording artists, club resident DJs who only play at one club, etc?

I thought of that and keep it in mind, but what's the percentage over club DJ's. Maybe I am wrong. I personally don't think that the option would be used a lot.

Quote:
And secondly, if I had a top notch club, I would have the computer monitor already installed in the booth, preferably somewhere right in front of the DJ, but not up high and obstructing the view that the DJ has of the dancefloor, with an external keyboard and mouse ready for them to use. I can't stand DJs who put their laptop up high right above the DJ mixer - it breaks the connection between the crowd and the DJ and the DJ will be looking at the screen all night instead of reading the room.

I thought of the same thing. I am actually an architecture student and I design building structures for fun in my free time. I designed a club, I did the same thing. I think with this technology a DJ should be able to just show up with a external hard drive.
DJ Cyrus 7:19 AM - 19 December, 2011
I want to do a +1. the idea becomes required with the quad decks screen space is at a premium and it does not need to just be library on one and decks on second but what about deck 1/2 as well as library one one then decks 3/4 and video on monitor 2. I run VSL and it sucks choosing between my prepare window and my video preview. If you are doing video you already have some Plasma's or something around you. Another badass thing I saw one DJ do was on his second monitor show his decks playing for his audience to see what songs are going on and how he is scratching. How could would that be if they got a great looking view of just your 2 playing decks and didn't have to see you scrolling though your crates and crap (I hate when people see my songs because they seem to think they can point and demand "I see it right there...That Song NEXT!!!!" Remember the new computers have Thunderbolt and can support many video outputs I would totally rock a 4 screen setup.
Friedel 9:24 PM - 17 January, 2012
+1!
If you have a lot of crates a better library overview can be damn handy
Da_Kydd 8:23 AM - 22 March, 2012
I agree with DJ Kee. I'm looking to have a dual monitor feature in my studio.

I disagree with DJ Knockout because most DJs would take advantage of this feature in the clubs the clubs....here are the PROs:
1. Primary screen: The ability to have a larger access to your control decks. Whether you use an SL1 to a SL4....2, 3, or 4 control decks. Right now you are limited space so this feature would allow your decks to be larger.
2: Primary screen: The ability to have your SP-6 and EFXs open and available to use at the same time. Right now you can only have either/or available to use.
3 Secondary screen: Having access to more songs without scrolling in such a small space is definitely a plus. It would be like scrolling your library in iTunes in maximized view as apposed to a minimized library scroll.
You should always have a second video monitor at a club as a backup anyway...it would be an option for each DJ to use. If doing an club I would take either a laptop or my mini-PC desktop w/ a handle (that I built just for that feature)...or both. Taking a mini PC would beat taking a laptop due to more cooling power, memory, internal HDD space, more USB ports, & etc. But even besides that... mostly all laptops now have an external video output (VGA, composite, S-video, DVI (docking station) & HDMI) so having an secondary monitor to use as a primary screen or secondary screen would be great..especially if larger than the laptop screen. I wouldn't see it as something that you would have to lug around every time you play there but onsite as a optional use. I would like to see where your main screen can have view of your control decks, SP6, and EFXs and your library only on your secondary. To enable the dual monitor feature is so easy so i would be an matter of Serato making an option where you can tick it in Setup. Right now you can use dual video feature with Video SL where you can view your output on a second screens so why would it be any harder to have the option to separate your control deck from your library?
SERATO????....CAN WE MAKE THIS AVAILABLE ON THE NEXT UPGRADE VERSION???
Deejae Smooth 5:36 PM - 22 March, 2012
most Djs are working from Laptops and a second monitor isn't a viable option.

sorry but if you took a poll of scratch live users, laptops win.
Da_Kydd 11:28 PM - 22 March, 2012
Yeah..I'm aware of the majority of Serato users use laptop...I have my laptop with Serato as the only program installed right now running on MicroXP (XP running bare minimum services/resources/programs)..it only takes 200mb to install. I have desktops with Serato running in my Studio...like I said...better to use when applicable.

I'm very sure that adding an option to split control decks and library would not be an wasted feature..especially for laptop users. Like i said...all newer laptops this century have some sort of video out port where you can add a second monitor for a Serato split screen. If you think taking a poll would make a difference then have at it.
Deejae Smooth 3:58 AM - 23 March, 2012
just sayin..i don't think this is high on Serato list of items for a future version. i could be wrong..
Mr Wilks 10:35 AM - 27 April, 2012
+1 (million).

I have a 21" Dell touch screen that connects to my laptop and use it for The Bridge. It seems a shame I am limited by what i can see on screen at once. FX, Bridge & sample decks all open at once would be lush.

djworx.com

Interesting that it's also been picked up by Giz at DJWorx.
Mr DJ roman 8:59 PM - 6 May, 2012
I think it's a great ideal! Using the iPad as second screen would be the best, with 3 or 4 fingers swaps giving diffident views ex: song list, soundwave and the bridge. Great post guys
Pmore 6:29 PM - 3 June, 2013
+1

There are USB monitors that you can get as well, fully powered by USB. It would be real nice when playing out to be able to have the library on one screen and your tracks and fx on the other side. I was actually kind of surprised I couldn't do this when I first tried, but I suppose it would mean there needs to be another view mode to "break out" the library from the rest of the program.

This is the feature that would most appeal to me.
deejdave 10:21 PM - 3 June, 2013
Very possible as seen on Pioneers new XDJ-R1 pioneerdj.com Use the ipod/ipad as a screen in almost the exact way the XDJ-R1 does. You can select which panel to utilize the iphone/ipad for. Obviously this being a Pioneer product the chances of the DDJ-SX getting it over any of the other toy's is greater...................... which is the way it should be LOLOL.

+10000 tho!! I almost feel this is an easy update by porting the software from one to the other.
DJMark 12:13 AM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
You should always have a second video monitor at a club as a backup anyway

I carry a second LAPTOP as a backup.

I think what is actually being asked for here is a multi-window display option (which would have utility both for multi-monitor situations, and single-screen situations as well). It would require Scratch Live to abandon the current "forced fullscreen-mode on launch" and behave more like normal applications that remember their last-used window sizes and positions.

If Serato did that, I'd be in favor. Since I do video (using Mix Emergency) and like to see the Mac OS menu-bar when DJ-ing, it's an ongoing annoyance to drop SL out of fullscreen mode and re-size the window every single time.

My feeling is that most DJ's wouldn't make much use of the multiple-monitors thing, but many more would find a multi-window approach desirable and useful.
DJMark 12:21 AM - 4 June, 2013
Inklen's Mix Emergency provides a good example of how multiple windows in Scratch Live could look and work.

Decks window, effects window, library window...you could even have "setup" as a window and therefore have a view of the scopes on-screen at all times.

I fully understand why SL's fullscreen mode was implemented in 2004: laptop screens were low-resolution at the time, and it was very uncommon for anyone to dare running any other applications at the same time while DJ-ing. That was then and this is now. :-)
Laz219 6:55 AM - 4 June, 2013
I would think with the new high resolution laptops around, most companies would probably be happy to think that's enough.

I can't imagine to many wanting to carry a second monitor.
Mr Wilks 7:44 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

For me, it's good to drop The Bridge onto it while at home. Also, there's not enough room for all the info on screen all the time. Splitting the library and having FX and samples all on one screen could be quite fun, as an option.
deejdave 8:43 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:

Use Iphone/Ipad/android as a targeted 2nd display??
BERTO 9:55 PM - 8 June, 2013
Kvm switch ?
djkee 7:39 AM - 29 January, 2016
Thanks Serato and Numark (InDesign)!

This is really what I wanted all these years. I was going to do it with an external monitor, but this is even better.

serato.com
deejdave 9:01 PM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Thanks Serato and Numark (InDesign)!

InMusic?
djkee 11:29 PM - 6 February, 2016
oops, yes. InMusic
Sergio Herculano 8:15 PM - 6 June, 2016
I really would love if Serato have the same functionality as Rekordbox have to split screen in two monitors, one just for the library and the other for the decks, SP6 and other serato features.

Is there any plan to have it implemented in the next serato releases ?
Marv Incredible 10:13 AM - 7 June, 2016
DJMark, I could be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure that in every OS since Mavericks, you can now have the menu bar on both screens, via System Prefs>Mission Control.