DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My first performance (Tips?)

DJ Lewshis 2:01 AM - 3 June, 2010
I did my first DJ performance at my school about a week ago and it went well. It wasn't really major. I just showed them a quick mix that I made.
It went "Boyz in the Hood" - Eazy E (on Real Vinyl) to "Can't Stop" - Red Hot Chili Peppers to "Juicy" - Biggie mixed with "Juicy Fruit" - MTune to "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey mixed with a few Queen samples.
I just need some future advice with a few things that went wrong. I was coming close to the end of it and I was going to do a quick scratch when I hit my tone arm on the way down. It bent my needle and scratched my vinyl, so I was crippled to 1 turntable, but I was at the end so it wasn't too much of a big deal. I just want to know what I can do if that happens again. I know I should bring a few extra needles, but should I bring some spare tracking vinyl too?
Also, I was nervous the night before cause it was my first performance. What do you guys do to combat the nerves?
Laz219 2:20 AM - 3 June, 2010
Carrying spare needles definintely will save you. As far as vinyl goes I can't think of too many situations where you'd manage to destroy it playing out, I do always carry at least 4 vinyls though.

As far as nerves go, Once you've got a few gigs that've gone well, your confidence will pick up and you should be fine.
sixxx 2:22 AM - 3 June, 2010
In this case, learn INSTANT DOUBLES. It's the best if one turntable or needle fucks up.