Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SOngs playing to fast

Leo Geo 8:45 PM - 29 May, 2010
Hi all

Seem to have a problem. Some tracks that i have imported into itch are playing too fast. I have analysed the files and still they are playing to fast.

When i compare the same file in itunes it plays at the slower correct speed??

Any suggestions???

Normally they just play at the right speed and I have not encountered this problem before??

I am on snow leopard on a new i5 mbp
MusicDan 9:17 PM - 29 May, 2010
Do you have any hardware connected? If you do, is the pitch slider at 0?
Leo Geo 9:35 PM - 29 May, 2010
its not plugged in to anything at the minute.
Doctorjon 3:45 AM - 30 May, 2010
It shouldn't matter if hardware is plugged in or not. The song in your library should play at the bpm at which it was made. Try putting the song into a audio editing program and see if its playing correctly.
MusicDan 3:48 AM - 30 May, 2010
Wow, that is odd. What version of itch are you running and what controller do you use if any? If itunes plays the file okay then there shouldn't be a problem. Are they songs that you bought on itunes? Just trying to figure out what the problem could be.
PPIP 10:39 AM - 30 May, 2010
I assume you have ITCH 1.6?
With my 1.6 it happens in of-line mode quite often. It is mentioned here by more then one person so I hope Serato has it on the bug list.
Leo Geo 11:01 AM - 30 May, 2010
Hi all thanks for the replys

I worked out that when my vci300 is not connected ALL the songs are playing too fast. When I connect the controller the songs play fine and at the correct tempo.

The songs play fine in itunes and logic

I use 1.5 as I don't have the dx
PPIP 12:46 PM - 30 May, 2010
I never had this with 1.5. Since I have a DX I had it with 1.6 quite often.
Leo Geo 1:17 PM - 30 May, 2010
It's strange. It has never happened before.

I teach sound engineering so have pretty decent ears. My girl could even tell they were playing faster :)
Dj Ace 11:30 PM - 31 May, 2010
I notice something similar the other day with my vci and effect unit on my macbook pro...thought i was tripping but yeah even while connected the songs were playing to fast
kraal 1:42 AM - 1 June, 2010
you guys need to start a help thread and possible have an audio recording
discofuel 3:17 AM - 1 June, 2010
I'm getting this too. Please help!
Serato, Support
ChrisD 4:30 AM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
you guys need to start a help thread and possible have an audio recording

Absolutely.

Please create a Help Request so that we can look into this. You can do that here serato.com.
Leo Geo 10:21 AM - 1 June, 2010
thanks for the replys

Well mine has started working again ok in offline mode and playing the songs at the correct pitch??

Chris have you come accross this problem before? Songs playing too fast in offline mode?

If it happens again I will start a help thread!!
discofuel 6:32 PM - 1 June, 2010
Mine's hasn't!

My VCI-300 is arriving later this week - can I still create a help request without a serial number?
kraal 6:36 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
Mine's hasn't!

My VCI-300 is arriving later this week - can I still create a help request without a serial number?

you can but it will probably benifit you better to wait cause just offline player help maynot get to the root of your issue
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:32 PM - 1 June, 2010
Quote:
Chris have you come accross this problem before? Songs playing too fast in offline mode?

Never encountered this problem myself.

I *think* it's related to the specified playback sample rate of the default sound device in Mac OSX. But I don't work in product support so don't take that as gospel :-)

If it happens again definitely start a Help Request. I'm sure the Support Team will be able to shed more light on the subject.
discofuel 10:46 PM - 1 June, 2010
Thanks Chris!

That's what it was - I had my soundcard set at 48KHz (for Logic). Changed it to 44.1 and songs are playing at the correct speed now :)

Counting down the days until my VCI-300 arrives!
DJ dVO 11:27 PM - 1 June, 2010
How can this thread have more than 18 replies?

I would say: press "range" to max percentage then slow down.

/end thread.

LOL
Ironrodd 4:11 AM - 3 August, 2010
@DJ dVO - Maybe I don't see it, but there doesn't seem to be a range button or speed control when Itch is in offline mode, and that would not resolve the problem, it would just mask it.

@discofuel - I'm pretty sure you have the proper resolution. On a Mac, in the "Audio Midi Setup" panel in the Utilities section of your Applications folder, there is an option to set the sample rate for the internal sound card. It should be set to 44.1 kHz to play the files properly. Mine was set to 96 kHz, and the songs sounded like a tape recorder on fast forward.

Thank you.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:09 PM - 3 August, 2010
Hey guys.

ChrisD is correct, this is to do with the playback sample rate of the default sound device.

To change do the following (OSX users):

1. Close all software
2. Go to your Finder > Applications > Audio/MIDI Setup
3. Set the internal soundcard to 44.1k (and not 48k).

If you are still having an issue, please start a new help request here: www.serato.com
iiexist 4:09 AM - 4 August, 2010
I had this same issue and was told the same solution that Matt-C just gave. So far I have not had the issue since checking my Audio/Midi Setup.. I know for a fact I never changed any settings. Even when I opened up Audio/Midi Setup it was already set to 44.1k.. maybe it just reset itself once I loaded the setup? Not sure.. This was quite an annoyance though so I am just happy it doesnt occur anymore.. yet.
mwstratton 3:50 PM - 3 November, 2010
Same issue here, the playback sample rate fixed it up like a charm! thanks guys!
Richard Bean 7:34 PM - 2 February, 2011
I am running 1.7.1 and it fixed the problem for me too. This definitely needs to be fixed in the next update, your sample rate should have absolutely nothing to do with the playback speed of the song.
youngbreaker 7:47 PM - 12 March, 2011
Yo! Pretty much every time i use serato my tracks run too fast. It can happen at any point, Sometimes an hour in to a practice jam. I have to exit and reopen to correct the problem. Annoying as well as concerning. Any answers???
DiscJockey Em 6:26 PM - 25 June, 2011
Hey guys, just came across this issue with my serato as well, the playback sample on serato offline was faster than the playback on my itunes and other players thought to add my 2 pence in as the issue is now resolved for me

I did what Matt-C suggested,

1. Close all software

I realize now that it was because I installed a software called soundflower and used it as my default output for a while for audacity, its sample rate was set at 48k so even when I changed back to the default for mac, it must have switched to 48k too. So if you've got the same scenario, its worth trying out what Matt-C suggested.
ragga 12:54 PM - 5 July, 2011
I did the same thing with no luck. SL works fine so.......why does Itch play at like +10?
TheCunningOne 11:38 AM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
Hey guys.

ChrisD is correct, this is to do with the playback sample rate of the default sound device.

1. Close all software

If you are still having an issue, please start a new help request here: www.serato.com

This fixed the same issue I had with this - thanks!
DJ Xio 4:22 PM - 17 October, 2011
This is a bug that hasn't been fixed.
R-A-C 1:05 PM - 8 November, 2011
it's not a real bug imho
DJ Prashant 8:29 AM - 5 April, 2012
Hey guys, I am not able to find Audio/MIDI Setup inside Applications, I am running Lion though... any help is much appreciated.
phatbob 10:16 AM - 5 April, 2012
It's applications>UTILITIES>audio midi setup
amuzak 3:53 PM - 4 August, 2013
I am actually using BOZE speakers that require 48k, what should I do?
DJ Prashant 9:45 PM - 4 August, 2013
Thanks phatbob, it started working fine. Cheers, prashant
Bigg Steve Movement 4:11 AM - 30 October, 2015
My problem is after about an hour or so on the itch it plays fast and on the Numark NV it plays slow.
What to do?