Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

No House / Electronic Tracks?

HazeNYC 7:37 AM - 29 December, 2006
It's all hip-hop & R+B so far which is fine.. but where are the house & electronic tracks?
HazeNYC 7:44 AM - 29 December, 2006
follow up - i read the faq and it seems like maybe to get these genres in we need to convince labels in these genres to come on board.. if anybody wants to throw out some record labels outside of hip-hop and "major labels" on here -- especially if you have a contact with people at those labels could be a good idea to get the smaller ball rolling..

my .02
Talrinys 5:02 PM - 29 December, 2006
I'm a house & breaks DJ, and i mean, they're already supporting djdownload.com & beatport.com, i doubt they'd support this as well.
accomplicejunglist 5:06 PM - 29 December, 2006
Talrinys, what exactly do you mean by support? On both djdownload.com and beatport.com users have to pay for tracks. As the labels get a cut of this amount, their support amounts to business. Whitelabel.net is purely for promo; slightly different.
Talrinys 5:57 PM - 29 December, 2006
That's my point, they're already earning a lot of cash from beatport.com & djdownload.com, plus having it work as promos.
Serato
Jeff D 10:09 PM - 30 December, 2006
the dance genres are a little more tricky to get on board right away....unlike hip hop and r&b acts which use their singles to build equity in their artists to sell albums... dance music's equity is within the single itself which means they are going to be a lot more protective over it.... They will come around but I doubt their servicing will be nearly as big as the hip hop labels which means it will be up to the individual house/electronic djs to make sure that they are on the distribution lists of those labels
Talrinys 4:53 AM - 31 December, 2006
Jeff D is correct, that was the point i was trying to make earlier.
sojourn 2:24 AM - 7 January, 2007
Conversely, the bedroom producer does, it seem, have a pretty expansive new outlet for exposure in Whitelabel.net/SSL.

I know it's been said many times before, with many other ideas before, but could Whitelabel.net prove to be "the trick" if everyone were to wisely jump on and "get their fat tracks heard", rather than witholding from paranoia.

Perhaps only time will tell, and perhaps I'm missing something, but this system seems pretty damn secure (under 32kbps tracks unless played under SSL). IMHO, not only the bedroom producer, but as well the small independent dance label could very much benefit from getting on board for some promo-to-label-recognition "equity-building" (as Jeff D put it). IMHO, very good call thus far on the part of the R&B/Hiphop/Rap labels.

In my mind there is, unfortunately, more than one reason the thousands of dance-independents didn't have tracks already lined up and in back queue waiting to jump on with Whitelable.net on opening day. Yes, one of these is definitiely becuase of the success of the beatport's and djdownload's of the world (as first mentioned above by Talrinys); but as well because of the newness of the idea of a truly secure+free network. Has that ever really worked with success before? Could it have without this technology?

Like say, I know it's been proposed without success many times before, but could we be witnessing the beginning of the first truly secure place for an independent network? Through hardware itself? Too much to hope for?

I think the last reason we're not seeing dance thus far may very well be due to a combination of the unanswered questions above. As with so many other burgeoning technolgies before it, Whitelabel.net will likely have to endure the "Will it work?" "Think I'll wait for 'the other guy' to get burned first before I put our tracks up there" mentality of overcaution before it flourishes as a source.

...until then, looks like we the SSL end-users, the capable hands of the industry, will again have to wait for the tracks. Tracks that could be seeing fresh life through exponetially more exposure to the world via yet another avenue.
DJ Prinvale` 9:53 AM - 7 January, 2007
I would love for some house music, or even some trance. Mainly house though :) Some imports are pretty hard to find/get online or in the local shop.
DJGarth 7:02 PM - 9 January, 2007
You'll rarely see House music or any Electronic Dance music label offer FREE music to pools. DJs are the only customers these labels have..... Why would they give it away? You might have to pony up a couple bucks a track guys.... Robbins is one of the few labels that offer promos... and its pretty mainstream at that.