DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How'd You Get Your DeeJay Handle?

Ab-Loon 12:28 AM - 28 December, 2006
I'm seeing a lot of intro-steen DeeJay names on this forum. I'm a curious guy...so i wanna ask everyone "how did you come up with your names?" I'll go first...

My DeeJay name is Ab-Loon. When I first started deejayin, I started to call myself DJ Looney Toons becuase I loved tha warner Bros. cartoons and it seemed to fit my selection of music. As I got more into spinning hip hop, and gettin older, I started my search for a more mature name. But it was hard thinkin of something original. Bout tha same time, Reggaeton was hitting hard on tha radio (I hate tha radio these days btw). I come to find out a duo of producers commin out called themselves Luney and Tunez, together its Luney Tunez. So since I'm not a big fan of Reggaeton, I knew it was time to really change my name. Some of my friends and I have side handles we sometimes use for mixtapes and other things. Mine was Abstract (yeah...like Q-tip). So what I did was took tha "ab" in abstract and the "loon" in Looney....and its a done deal to me....HA

Aight guys....its your turn. I hope we can keep this goin. Cause a handle can take you far as well as ur skillz on tha wheels. I'm also doin this cause I'm sooo sick and tired of these new artist names these days.....Young Dro.....lil Jeezy....lil Jon.....lil boosey. C'mon....how many "lil" can we have out there? I think tha name shows how creative that person is.....like Jay-Z....Lupe Fiasco.....Mos Def.....Ghostface.....Nas....I could go on and on. So lets keep this goin homies!!!! I'm outz....
dubl 12:50 AM - 28 December, 2006
"SAM" please just one.............lol
dj disturbed 12:55 AM - 28 December, 2006
Well... at one of the strip clubs i was working at i used to play alot of hard rock (i hate djing strip club b/c its not real djing.. but it pays the bills) and the girls started calling me DJ Disturbed abd it has stuck with me ever sence!
DJ Nevoc 1:07 AM - 28 December, 2006
My name used to be a hacker handle, then when I needed a DJ name I just used it.
Audio1 1:31 AM - 28 December, 2006
Audio1 came from my homies in High School, because we used to do bboy jams at lunch time and I always had the boombox and mixtape to break to.
allenbina 1:37 AM - 28 December, 2006
i stick with my real name. in my early years, i actually met a guy who went by dj shadow, and claimed he was the original dj shadow... in high school. theres also imitation dj spiders and other fake djs. the worst is a rapper in LA whose name is Won-G. he conned a promoter friend of mine by pronouncing his name with a heavy accent so it sounded like warren-g. he shows up at the venue and they panic. the fliers had his name all over them... they had to refund the cover to each customer when they booed him off stage.
dj skiggz 5:58 AM - 28 December, 2006
used to be 400 lbs & everyone started to nick name me biggz, now im 210lbs and everyone calls me skiggz. I started djing and put two n two together.
dj skiggz 5:59 AM - 28 December, 2006
oh yea skiggz = skinny biggz lol
scotty B 6:19 AM - 28 December, 2006
my Name is Scott Branson. I have been called scotty B for as long as I can remember...So I just stuck with it.
DJ Limelight 6:39 AM - 28 December, 2006
"Now I'm the Limelight/ Cause I rhyme tight/ time to get paid/blow up like the World Trade" - Juicy / B.I.G.

One of my favorite songs ever.
Corex 6:58 AM - 28 December, 2006
my older brother had a plethora of nicknames for me when i was little haha, like around 5-6.. corex stuck with me till now. and its a unique name, so im coo with it
Ab-Loon 7:00 AM - 28 December, 2006
Nice. Hey allenbina I have heard bout Won-G....but didn't hear bout that "warren-G" story...but thats pretty freakin funny! He had a music video out with paris hilton in it...that was funny too.

Aight let me tell you bout tha dumbest name i heard. It wasnt too long ago i saw a video with this dancehall guy i never heard of....his name...get this....was VOICEMAIL. I had to wait to watch it again to confirm.....and i was right...he's name is voicemail....and that song was featuring another cat with another dumb ass name....i forgot wat it was...it was something like ding dong or something like that. hahaha. if you know who im talkin bout....let me know...cause now im gonna be trying to member who that was....
TheMightyThor 11:08 AM - 28 December, 2006
"come one come all, if you wanna brawl, im THE MIGHTY THOR clothes-lining motherfuckers like im steven segal" and my real name is thor, pretty much i got sick of names with "dj" in front of them, and i wanted my name on wax.
the 45 king 2:21 PM - 28 December, 2006
I can cut 7'' records good ! ( i guess?)
skinnyguy 1:01 AM - 29 December, 2006
i got my name cuz of my fat azz =P

actually, i'm skinny. not one of them fat people that everyone calls "slim"...

and i'm a guy....
Gamble 1:35 AM - 29 December, 2006
Voicemail and Ding Dong - big upcoming reggae artists, funny ass names haha
Ab-Loon 1:53 AM - 29 December, 2006
Haha.....I could just see it.....those foo's in tha studio blitz out of their skulls....one of them looks at their cell and says "ha ha....look i got a voicemail man...ha ha" And his eyes and mouth open up with excitment. "yo man...tat is a tite name" Tha other guy goes "man...tat name is garbage....mite as well call myself Ding Dong if u tink Voicemail is a coo name."

Thats how it all started...
siblingmusic 2:34 AM - 29 December, 2006
actually Ab-Loon, Voicemail is a trio, not just one guy. their voices harmonizes so well it sounds like one person. And Ding Dong is a street dancers turn artist, who so happens to be quite popular.
DJ Slade 2:51 AM - 29 December, 2006
A friend of mine and I used to watch an old anime cartoon called Teknoman. The main character is Slade. My friend said I had his personality and started calling me Slade. Unfortunately, he passed away, so in his honor and my respect for him, I keep the name....
sG 2:54 AM - 29 December, 2006
I came up with DJ SG because I was searching for a name but decided to just stick to myself. SG are my initials (first and middle), and I didn't wanna go by "DJ George" because it sounds like a cheesy mobile DJ and that it probably would be taken. Plus it made sense being that I was raised in the "SGV" (San Gabriel Valley) of California (east of LA)... dropped the "V" and there you go!
Ab-Loon 10:14 AM - 29 December, 2006
Siblingmusic....thanx for tha info. I didn't know they were a trio. But in that case....how come their was only 2 main peepz in that video? I'm sure its brand new. I dont member tha name of tha song.
Dj Shamann 11:23 AM - 29 December, 2006
Quote:
....his name...get this....was VOICEMAIL. I had to wait to watch it again to confirm.....and i was right...he's name is voicemail....and that song was featuring another cat with another dumb ass name....i forgot wat it was...it was something like ding dong or something like that. hahaha.

LOL. My are you behind. As siblingmusic said, Voicemail is a group and is that any stupider than than the 300 Lil's or Yungs out there? I'd say it's a helluva lot more original. I agree Ding Dong (Badman Forward, Badman Pull Up....Ravers Clavers) is a pretty silly name but I've heard just as bad and worse in Hop Hop. Two different styles of music, one of which you're obviously (and respectively) unfamiliar with because Voicemail is very big and Ding Dong has been making noise too. Not trying to attack you or anything, but imagine if a dancehall cat came and posted "I heard this guy the other day....and hear wha........his name was 50...Cent...LOL"

I'm sure you'd find it pretty funny.
Dj Shamann 11:41 AM - 29 December, 2006
BTW I'm not faulting you because I understand it's a completely different scene, but I was just commenting that sometimes it's because we're unfamilar with something that we find it funnier. Imagine you didn't know who Elephant Man was, you'd be like "WTF kinda name is that"
Dj Metro 11:58 AM - 29 December, 2006
used to dj at a club called metropolis here in pr........u know how this story goes
Ab-Loon 1:30 PM - 29 December, 2006
No worries....I got you. Tha whole point I started this topic is cause I know theirs a story to a name. And I like to hear tha stories.....no matter how funny they are.

And youre right.....I'm not familiar with dancehall or reggae scene. And although I made a lil joke bout Voicemail and Ding Dong...its all in fun. And I also heard worse name in Rap (I'm a hip hop head...and rap and hip hop is two diff things). And yeah....although voicemail is a funny name to me....hey...at least its original. Not like 5 or 6 rappers out there right now that their name starts with "young" or "lil". I consider myself an open minded guy and I listen to everything b4 I give my opinion. But you have to agree with me on this one....a rapper that comes out with a name that starts with "young"...especialy when theirs 5 other cats named "young" out there...is not gonna come out with a new sound to the table.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:52 PM - 1 January, 2007
i used to have "Magic" after the DJ of DJ Mike Coquilla

but i just dropped it after my highschool days.
Julls 6:40 AM - 2 January, 2007
I just go by Julls, because its my nick name. I dropped the "DJ" a long time ago, what's the point?
djscottyfox 7:45 AM - 2 January, 2007
just do a google search for Scotty Fox and you'll see where my mind was at...lol... before that i was callin myself Pockets Mo-Fat (after the old showbiz n Ag song)
DjWoody 7:57 AM - 2 January, 2007
Back in 92 I called my self DJ RHYTHM. At the time there was a techno radio station in OC called THE VIBE. One of their DJ's was JOEY RHYTHM, so I decided to change my name. I tried many, including my real name "JESSE ALEXANDER," and others like DJ JAM (my initials), Jet-Z (sounds like JESSE), Jr MINT (My favorite candy at the time), and a bunch of others. Than one day my friend said my hair looked like Woody Wood Pecker, and he began calling me WOODY. I hated the name, but it got stuck. Everyone in high school began calling me that, and BAM! many years later, I still use DJ WOODY. I tried changing it many times, but it's too late. Everyone already knows me by that name.

Than a few years back I found out about DJ WOODY (ITF Champ), DJ WOODY (German Techno Producer), DJ WOODY (A Friend of mine, who happens to be named JESSE Too!!! haha) and than I googled my name and found out my name is pretty common. There's lots of DJ WOODY's. I've been contemplating changing it to JESSE ALEXANDER, but it's hard. I don't think I can let go of my name.