Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

wl.mp3 an mp3gain :(

FDW 12:13 AM - 28 December, 2006
Hi!
Because every program except ssl is reading the 32kbit-versions, also mp3gain doesn't work.
I set all my mp3s to 92dB. So I can't really use the ones here.
I think there is no chance to change the file-system so that mp3gain will work, because of the risk that other programs could get access too...
So ist there a chance, that the Serato-guys code a program that can normalize the wl.mp3s like mp3gain?
nik39 1:44 AM - 28 December, 2006
"Normalizing" audio files will be included in 1.7, this has been confirmed by the moderators, so I dont think its really an issue yet assuming it will work on wl.net files as well.

mp3gain works, it works on 32kbit version, and will adjust the 32kbit version. ;)
Talrinys 1:45 AM - 28 December, 2006
Anyone knows when 1.7 will be out in that case? This will undoubtely be very important for me, and damn FS2 is sounding like a badder choice for every day that passes.
FDW 1:58 AM - 28 December, 2006
It will be out early 2007!

@nik: I know... Very useful :D
nik39 2:11 AM - 28 December, 2006
I think its fantastic having your tracks all at the same volume - at 32kbps mono ;))
Talrinys 2:22 AM - 28 December, 2006
Shit, this is gonna be so damn awesome, thanks FDW, this is really what i've been looking for

Sometimes i need to make some very quick beatmatches, and i'm not very fast at doing it usually, if i pitch the record with my turntables in SSL, does the BPM display in SSL change or just stay put, like it does in FS2?
nik39 3:48 AM - 28 December, 2006
BPM display changes accordingly to the platter speed, but not if you scratch :D SSL is intelligent :)
Talrinys 3:52 AM - 28 December, 2006
Ooh that's very very nice, FS doesn't and it's extremely annoying, im steadily learning to beatmatch by ear but for now i also use the display sometimes, and yeah i will probably have some negative posts cause of that but that's how it is. Also is it pretty much stable? I tried a demo version of Traktor, which can also use FS vinyl/CDs, and it was very annoying to look at, the speed changed constantly?
Also, are more digits being added, as far as i know there are no decimals in the BPM display right now?
Sorry for all the questions, just doing some market research cause i'm probably getting this :)
FDW 4:46 AM - 28 December, 2006
SSL is very stable!

Quote:
I think its fantastic having your tracks all at the same volume - at 32kbps mono ;))

;)
nik39 4:50 AM - 28 December, 2006
Talrinys, I think if you need the BPM to beatmatch tightly you will be disappointed with SSL, simply to the fact that it always takes a rounded BPM value for its base to calculate the displayed BPM after platter speed. It helps you making mixes quicker, but you have to rely either on your ears or on the beatmatch GUI. But just using the displayed BPMs wont give you a good result. You should try asking these questions on the normal SSL forum, cause more people read it, you will get more detailed answers over there.
Supagee 5:02 AM - 28 December, 2006
i love mp3 gain
Talrinys 5:03 AM - 28 December, 2006
Well it's fine, i'm able to correct small problems by ear already, only practiced very little, and the GUI is probably just what i need, really like the looks of it :)
Just really happy that it actually adjusts, liking the sounds of this more and more :)
DJ MA$K 2:43 PM - 6 January, 2007
Quote:
"Normalizing" audio files will be included in 1.7, this has been confirmed by the moderators, so I dont think its really an issue yet assuming it will work on wl.net files as well.

Does this mean that all music played through SSL 1.7 will output at the same volume no matter what db level the mp3?

Just I'm currently compiling all my CD's and Vinyl onto my external hard drive, and even if the bit rate is the same, there is obviously varriation in output levels. Normally I would adjust these by ear with the gain on my mixer.

I'd like to get it right first time as it is a massive task...
nik39 6:43 PM - 6 January, 2007
Quote:
Hi!
Because every program except ssl is reading the 32kbit-versions, also mp3gain doesn't work.
I set all my mp3s to 92dB. So I can't really use the ones here.

FDW, auto-gain from SSL works fine with wl.net mp3s.
Jez 10:47 PM - 5 February, 2007
Re: "Normalizing"

When building overviews on SSL 1.7 and using auto gain, I've found that the volume it sets the track at is way quieter than the volume that the Whitelabel tracks come at. And because the overviews are already built on the whitelabel files, I can't see how to reconcile this... Other than to manually adjust the volume on all the whitelabel files.

Also bizarrly I've noticed SSL changes the volume when I change the colour of the label to yellow!!! Don't know what the hell that is about.
Jez 11:01 PM - 5 February, 2007
Oh, sorry forget that. I just realised I can force it to build overview again. I thought it only did this for newly imported tracks. It doesn't explain in the manual I have (1.6.2) that you can build overview for an individual track by dragging track onto build overviews button!