Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

cd stopping like vinyl

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Lou 3:17 AM - 20 July, 2004
is there anyway to stop or prevent the cd from sounding like a record stopping, almost everytime i press pause or cue the control cd, the track stops as if it was the vinyl, i just want the cd to stop and/or pause normally with a brake feature?
Serato
Josh 3:28 AM - 20 July, 2004
Does this happen every time? does adjusting the threshold in the setup screen help?
Serato, Moderator
AJ 6:29 AM - 20 July, 2004
What CD player are you using? It sounds like the CD player is causing the braking sound, because if you lif the needle on the control record, which is like pausing the audio, it doesn't sound like a record stopping, the song just pauses.
G-man NYC 1:17 AM - 21 July, 2004
Pause or cue on a cd player is the same as a 'hot start' which isn't supported by SSL yet. The CD players work well with vinyl type cd players with the plates ( pioneer, denon ) but i had to use regular cd decks once at a place that didn't have tables and that's what happened.. slow braking.

My friend who uses cd's called rane and they said the hot start thing will be fixed later. I don't know why it doesn't work like a record when you lift the needle but it doesn't. i thought it was the cd deck at first that was faulty so i tried a regular cd and everything was ok... therefore it's an SSL issue.
G-man NYC 1:19 AM - 21 July, 2004
Also... you have to use the 'vinyl' setting with the platter on the Pioneer or Denon's to get it to work right. It works amazingly well if you use the vinyl emulating platter but stay away from using cue/pause BUTTONS and definitely don't try to loop.
Lou 1:37 AM - 21 July, 2004
Quote:
What CD player are you using? It sounds like the CD player is causing the braking sound, because if you lif the needle on the control record, which is like pausing the audio, it doesn't sound like a record stopping, the song just pauses.
Lou 1:39 AM - 21 July, 2004
i am using the Denon 4000, its not the cd player, its something to do with SSL, 1 out of 3 times that i hit pause or cue, the song with brake slowly as if i were using a record, i just want the the cd to pause or cue without braking slowly
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:34 AM - 22 July, 2004
we have found the problem. See this post www.scratchlive.net
DJ White Lightning 1:47 PM - 24 July, 2004
Quote:
i am using the Denon 4000, its not the cd player, its something to do with SSL, 1 out of 3 times that i hit pause or cue, the song with brake slowly as if i were using a record, i just want the the cd to pause or cue without braking slowly

I also have this going on but I thougt that it was intentional and I like this feature. It sounds really cool and at first it sounds like a record stopping but then it just plays from the beginning of the song and it happens so fast that it should not interfere with any DJ mixing or scratching, I cannot think why this would annoy any DJ, it just makes the whole thing feel more like Vinyl, If you do fix this by the next beta please give an option that will leave it just as it is.

PS -- I was using the pioneer CDJ 1000's but as that they were stolen tonight I will have to try the Vinyl version if (fingers crossed) I can get my hands on a Scratch Live amp interface that was also stolen...