DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Opening for a TOP DJ

NAVE C 4:45 AM - 3 May, 2010
I will be opening for a a huge DJ / producer in the next couple months. Any idea's on what I should expect and any pointers are making sure this night is absolutely a smash?
monkeybiz 4:57 AM - 3 May, 2010
I like turtles.
djchope 5:05 AM - 3 May, 2010
search on what he normally plays then avoid trying to play the tracks he would normally play
jprime 5:09 AM - 3 May, 2010
play Rye Rye - Bang remixes
Dj.Mojo 7:52 AM - 3 May, 2010
Don´t play any of his/her tracks. Set the vibe but don´t try to get into the spotlight with BANGING music. Keep it chill. Have fun and try to network with the big name dj.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:58 AM - 3 May, 2010
Play all the top tunes at the moment, the big act will love you
Dj.Mojo 10:05 AM - 3 May, 2010
lol

what is the dj´s name?
grotesque 10:10 AM - 3 May, 2010
take your hand and put the palm right over your face... then sigh.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:00 AM - 3 May, 2010
go on and mix better than him with better tunes
djbanno 11:52 AM - 3 May, 2010
do your homework and keep the "you" in your mix.
djSMIRK 12:12 PM - 3 May, 2010
DJ code of conduct:

Play the hottest songs of the season if you are the opening DJ.
NO EXCUSES! Do not complain that they can play it again later. Do not use the excuse that: "if they were such a good DJ they could just find something else to play." GROW UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING! Show some respect! You know damn well it's the wrong time the play the hottest and hypest cuts. Programming is a DJ Skill. If you don't have it, keep your immature ass at home.

Play any songs by the Artist/DJ you are opening for.
What the hell do you think that artist is going to do when they arrive? They are going to play/sing those same songs! Get a clue! For example, only an asshole would play "Be Faithful" before DJ Riz or DJ Sizzahandz arrived.

Play any songs saying "hands in the air" or "put your hands up" in the opening set.
It's f'in 10:30 p.m. and nobody is trying to put their damn hands up while they are just walking in the door or getting their first drink!

DJ into the red, or put the volume levels at 10, before the headliner arrives.
The system is obviously maxed out and the room is way louder then it should be for that early in the night. Furthermore, you give the headliner no room to adjust the volumes properly -- except down from your bloody mess.

Unplug or rewire ANYTHING after you leave the decks!
If YOU think its cool to rip out the ground wire or RCA cable, maybe we'll think it's cool to rip out your teeth. Seems like a fair trade. These are the Old Testament rules of Burning: An Eye for an Eye, A Ground Wire for a Tooth. You are messing with our livelihood.

General DJ Etiquette:

DO NOT Train Spot - DO NOT look at what another DJ is playing, ever!
That is none of your business! Do your own digging! Stay awake for countless nights in crappy, mold infested basements with your gas mask and Big Bird record player, listening to shitty records until you find that rare gem that speaks to YOU! Or blogs or whatever.

AGGRAVATED TRAIN SPOTTING -- Texting yourself/recording the exact remix names of each song from another DJ's set, then reconstructing the set and playing it live as though you thought of it yourself. Such an act is completely reprehensible and will likely lead to an open handed slap from a complete stranger who actually knows the DJ you are ripping off. Yes, this includes Shazam and taking pictures/video of the screen -- never get technical with the Burning Bible!

DO NOT get on the mic and "Funk Flex" or "Fatman Scoop" the people walking in!
It's too early and just sounds like shouting to everyone else. This isn't Karaoke!

DO NOT scratch excessively in the opening set.
You are not f'in Q-Bert! Nobody is here to see/hear you scratch, so shut the f*ck up!

DO NOT bring your "booth bitch."
It's crowded enough without your drunken hoes acting like they are more important than the headlining DJ. Tell her to take her "swap meet Louis" outside!

DO NOT pass any drinks over any computer or piece of electronic equipment.
Exercise some common sense, you idiot!
djbanno 12:25 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

Sticky?
MADLOGIC the Selectah 1:21 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
DJ code of conduct:

Play the hottest songs of the season if you are the opening DJ.
NO EXCUSES! Do not complain that they can play it again later. Do not use the excuse that: "if they were such a good DJ they could just find something else to play." GROW UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING! Show some respect! You know damn well it's the wrong time the play the hottest and hypest cuts. Programming is a DJ Skill. If you don't have it, keep your immature ass at home.

Play any songs by the Artist/DJ you are opening for.
What the hell do you think that artist is going to do when they arrive? They are going to play/sing those same songs! Get a clue! For example, only an asshole would play "Be Faithful" before DJ Riz or DJ Sizzahandz arrived.

Play any songs saying "hands in the air" or "put your hands up" in the opening set.
It's f'in 10:30 p.m. and nobody is trying to put their damn hands up while they are just walking in the door or getting their first drink!

DJ into the red, or put the volume levels at 10, before the headliner arrives.
The system is obviously maxed out and the room is way louder then it should be for that early in the night. Furthermore, you give the headliner no room to adjust the volumes properly -- except down from your bloody mess.

Unplug or rewire ANYTHING after you leave the decks!
If YOU think its cool to rip out the ground wire or RCA cable, maybe we'll think it's cool to rip out your teeth. Seems like a fair trade. These are the Old Testament rules of Burning: An Eye for an Eye, A Ground Wire for a Tooth. You are messing with our livelihood.

General DJ Etiquette:

DO NOT Train Spot - DO NOT look at what another DJ is playing, ever!
That is none of your business! Do your own digging! Stay awake for countless nights in crappy, mold infested basements with your gas mask and Big Bird record player, listening to shitty records until you find that rare gem that speaks to YOU! Or blogs or whatever.

AGGRAVATED TRAIN SPOTTING -- Texting yourself/recording the exact remix names of each song from another DJ's set, then reconstructing the set and playing it live as though you thought of it yourself. Such an act is completely reprehensible and will likely lead to an open handed slap from a complete stranger who actually knows the DJ you are ripping off. Yes, this includes Shazam and taking pictures/video of the screen -- never get technical with the Burning Bible!

DO NOT get on the mic and "Funk Flex" or "Fatman Scoop" the people walking in!
It's too early and just sounds like shouting to everyone else. This isn't Karaoke!

DO NOT scratch excessively in the opening set.
You are not f'in Q-Bert! Nobody is here to see/hear you scratch, so shut the f*ck up!

DO NOT bring your "booth bitch."
It's crowded enough without your drunken hoes acting like they are more important than the headlining DJ. Tell her to take her "swap meet Louis" outside!

LMAO
SK1 2:55 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:

I was at a club this weekend where at 10pm the DJ was playing only hype tracks and party breaks till about 11pm. It seemed like for an hour straight, every other song wanted us to "put our hands up". I was thinking... damn I want to finish my drink... not put my hands in the air. It made me think about this post... too funny.
djsatony 6:07 PM - 3 May, 2010
IS it true you're opening for this guy!!!!!???
maggcass.files.wordpress.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:18 PM - 3 May, 2010
Speaking of D i heard president obama has recruited him to stick his head in the gulf of mexico and use his hair to soak up the leaked oil, with that much product we may be looking at a seriously long career from this guy
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:29 PM - 3 May, 2010
Battle Him.
Audio1 8:50 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Opening for a TOP DJ
Does that make you a POWER BOTTOM? LOL
DJ Benny B NYC 8:58 PM - 3 May, 2010
make sure your peak time crates are current because often those dudes dont show and then you could take the whole night
DJ Fez 9:00 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Opening for a TOP DJ
Does that make you a POWER BOTTOM? LOL

BOOM!
dj steve f 9:36 PM - 3 May, 2010
Dudes really opening for D? I'd hate to classify that as a top dj. I was supposed to open for him a few months ago but his plane got cancelled due to a huge snowstorm that hit the midwest.. However i was flat out asked by the promoter to stick around to help him out if he wasnt getting the crowd going .. So if it truly is D, trust me promoters like the one i work for know he sucks ( promoter i worked for checked you tube)so you may have to cover his ass... The logic i was told was that pauly d actually cost less to spin than for a jersey shore appearance...
grotesque 12:50 AM - 4 May, 2010
ahaha... i couldn't be him... dude said he was opening for a TOP DJ not an orange loser.
BERTO 1:35 AM - 4 May, 2010
i figured out the hair!!!! its not hair but a shell hes half leatherback turtle wildcoastecotourism.com
farm4.static.flickr.com
assets.nydailynews.com