DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

JUST GOT BACK INTO DJING, NEED HELP WITH PROM PLAYLIST AND TRACKS

DJ PAL 2:38 AM - 19 April, 2010
Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks for reading my post. I hope you can help.

I just got back into djing after a whole year, and I switched over to serato to do it too. I used to use Promo Only music but have stopped since.

Can anyone help me with what's "HOT" nowadays for 2009 and so far in 2010? I need help with a playlist and mainly need to know what are the top hip hop/urban, reggae and dance tracks that you guys use right now in clubs and school events?

I dont expect everyone to paste me their playlist as I respect every dj, but if you do that's great, if not can you list some really popular songs of 2009 and 2010? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Ace27 4:19 AM - 19 April, 2010
Check out hot 97's list of what they are playing and that will be a good start. Anything that's on the radio will work at proms too.
latindj 4:43 AM - 19 April, 2010
here are all the lists you need: lmgtfy.com
djbanno 5:04 AM - 19 April, 2010
^^ never tire of that one, always makes me laugh!
sixxx 6:05 AM - 19 April, 2010
lol
DJ NoNseNse 7:12 AM - 19 April, 2010
Im just gonna be totally honest and upfront...

If you need help to find out whats "HOT" maybe being a dj isn't for you or you just need to get out more. If you wanna know whats hot in the clubs then go to the clubs. Listen to the radio. Don't come on here asking everyone whats hot. Some songs are hot in one club and not in another club. It varies everywhere you go. Also trying using this site which is called GOOGLE. By using google you can find playlist from tons of radio stations and also find charts. Being a dj is work and you can't expect people to do the work for you if you want to be successful. Get your ass off your computer and get out to the clubs
djSMIRK 8:00 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Im just gonna be totally honest and upfront...

If you need help to find out whats "HOT" maybe being a dj isn't for you or you just need to get out more. If you wanna know whats hot in the clubs then go to the clubs. Listen to the radio. Don't come on here asking everyone whats hot. Some songs are hot in one club and not in another club. It varies everywhere you go. Also trying using this site which is called GOOGLE. By using google you can find playlist from tons of radio stations and also find charts. Being a dj is work and you can't expect people to do the work for you if you want to be successful. Get your ass off your computer and get out to the clubs

quoted for truth.
djbanno 9:40 AM - 19 April, 2010
I personally think searching for and finding new music for yourself is one of the most enjoyable parts of being a dj.
Good luck and use the constructive advice given on this forum as a positive and not a negative.
Maskrider 12:18 PM - 19 April, 2010
Nice website Dj Pal.
DJChrisG 12:53 PM - 19 April, 2010
go to radio stations playlist in your area.... some stations example z100 in NYC has the top 100 of 2009. that could be a starting point then just look at the 300 or so songs in the playlist. you can also sign up for a record pool and go through the songs. like others said go to a club and listen to what others are playing. if you dont recognize the song you can use the application shazaam on your smartphone to identify it. hope that helps
DJ PAL 12:23 AM - 20 April, 2010
I've been DJing for about 15 years and was doing some pretty big events. I was a member of a great forum at start.prodj.com where a lot of DJs shared complete playlists, pictures, and tips. I'm actually surprised I got responses like that of smirks'. Perhaps I came to the wrong place...and these forums are not as open and friendly as what I was used to, guess that's my problem.

I know enough songs that'll throw a sick event, but I'm looking to hear certain tracks that are really doing good or not. Just because I dont go to clubs doesn't mean a) I can't get back into it or b) you can't help.

Thank you to those who had constructive advise of visiting lists...I'll try it to ADD to the list of songs I already have...but for those who just had smart comments, try to be a little more helpful. Half the serato users download their music illegally, while the other half probably does so legally. I was running 4 tops and 8 bins at one point with full truss of martin lighting.

I'm not new to the game, just getting back into it.
latindj 1:11 AM - 20 April, 2010
just cuz you're getting "back into it" does not give you a get out of jail free card. go back and read the posts and figure out exactly where you went wrong...

we're really not assholes, ok a few of us are, we just don't appreciate hand holding around here...try the search function first, if you still can't find what you need, then go ahead and post about it....

peace, and welcome!

-latinasshole
sixxx 1:46 AM - 20 April, 2010
lol @ latinasshole. hahahaha
DJ NoNseNse 1:48 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
I've been DJing for about 15 years and was doing some pretty big events. I was a member of a great forum at start.prodj.com where a lot of DJs shared complete playlists, pictures, and tips. I'm actually surprised I got responses like that of smirks'. Perhaps I came to the wrong place...and these forums are not as open and friendly as what I was used to, guess that's my problem.

I know enough songs that'll throw a sick event, but I'm looking to hear certain tracks that are really doing good or not. Just because I dont go to clubs doesn't mean a) I can't get back into it or b) you can't help.

Thank you to those who had constructive advise of visiting lists...I'll try it to ADD to the list of songs I already have...but for those who just had smart comments, try to be a little more helpful. Half the serato users download their music illegally, while the other half probably does so legally. I was running 4 tops and 8 bins at one point with full truss of martin lighting.

I'm not new to the game, just getting back into it.

My advice was the most helpful
djdalite 4:34 AM - 20 April, 2010
ill make it easy for you

subscribe to promo only and ultimix and you'll be the number 1 dj in your area
DJS/R 5:03 AM - 20 April, 2010
I am in a good mood, not that you couldn't figure most of this out in 10 mins of googling anyways.

www.usatoday.com