DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ok, I'm going to say something IGNORANT,...Black vs. White DJ's....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:30 PM - 17 April, 2010
Ok, so I just peeped this thread right here....

www.scratchlive.net

Starring DJ Don Q of Detroit. Dude is wicked on the cut....

Especially in this vid -->>Watchwww.youtube.com

Anyway, black DJ's back in the day, up until say Qbert I personally feel ruled the Turntablism scene....

Flash, DST, Cash Money, Scratch, XMEN, all the way up until Jazzy Jeff...who is STILL the man.

Most of these guys had Old School Cuts, Trick Mixes, and Scratches that concentrated on using the entire mixer, and are what I considered Traditional. Up Faders, Crossfaders, Backspinning, Transforming, and of course body tricks.

Now your Qberts step into the area, with the likes of Craze, A-Trak, etc..etc..

And with them come more X-Fader related tricks and new scratches, think Orbits, Twiddles, Flares, but to me, you didn't really see that DJ utilizing the full mixer, but the sounds were dope none the less.

That sound has become "TODAY'S" sound as far as Turntablism is concerned.

Now, older cats, IMO (including me), had a foundation of DJ'ing that seemed to revolve around a 4 beat standard, so the scratches were pretty straight forward.

The "New Age" sound is much more abstract and non-standard, (until you learn them, then it makes sense). However, I've noticed that those scratches are more mathematically inclined (and can be taught via DVD), vs the older Traditional ones, that seemed to be more "Funky".

Now, to me it seemed that the Black DJ's would naturally be more "Funky", just because...

But now the White DJ's, have the tools to "learn" the new scratches and are ripping it...(think Steve Dub)....not saying they can't be funky, but you get my drift.

So, lately, my opinion has been that Black DJ's don't take the time to "Learn" the new ways of scratching (except Dazz and Deez), vs. relying on their internal Funkyness, but this DJ Don Q puts that theory to shame, and his boy Mo Beatz is just as nice....

So, what I'm really saying here is that if I hear a particular scratch, but can't see the DJ, I can generally picture if they're Black or White...

Do you guys think that you can pick, JUST ON HEARING THE SCRATCH, if a DJ is of a certain ethnic background or not?

I used to, until now...

Discuss...
Caramac 3:04 PM - 17 April, 2010
I think you should actually look next time because from where I'm standing Q Bert isn't white. Could be my computer screen though.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:15 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
I think you should actually look next time because from where I'm standing Q Bert isn't white. Could be my computer screen though.

You know what?

You're absolutely right...

I should say NON-Black....

My bad...
dj cubicle 3:17 PM - 17 April, 2010
It's an interesting question though. It would be cool to get a couple people (of equal caliber) to cut over the same track and post them for a blind survey.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:44 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
It's an interesting question though. It would be cool to get a couple people (of equal caliber) to cut over the same track and post them for a blind survey.

Cool...right?

But the truth is that I don't know (besides Deez, Dazz, and Smizz), other DJ's that even attempt "Today's" scratches....so I would say it's easy to recognize their styles because we watch each other all the time.

Even though Jazzy Jeff is wicked, he still rocks "Traditional" scratches....
djaction 3:50 PM - 17 April, 2010
This is hands down the stupidest fucking thread I've ever read. I'm amazed mbezzle didnt create it.

+5 for mbezzle not creating this.

I know plenty of DJ's that rock "Traditional" scratches that are white dudes and can't do a single "modern" scratch. Your generalizations are ignorant beyond measure.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:51 PM - 17 April, 2010
At 2:52 where they start rocking the "Old School Scratches" it becomes apparent how the scratch has evolved... --->>>>Watchwww.youtube.com

The part that peaked my interest was where he said "No crabs, no crabs"....

To me, "Today's" scraching REALLY only utilize 1 Turntable vs. Traditional DJ'ing which seemed to incorporate a "Back and Forth" scenario...even though you could still tell which hand the DJ' was stronger with...

Like DJ on TT #1 totally rips it, switches over to TT #2, does 3 baby chirps to basically get the record back to a certain point, then goes back to TT#1 to totally rip it again...

I used to listen to mixes and could tell when a DJ was on his "Strong" arm, so to speak..
djaction 3:51 PM - 17 April, 2010
^and by the token I know plenty of black dj's that rock the modern style w/ the advanced techniques.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
This is hands down the stupidest fucking thread I've ever read. I'm amazed mbezzle didnt create it.

+5 for mbezzle not creating this.

I know plenty of DJ's that rock "Traditional" scratches that are white dudes and can't do a single "modern" scratch. Your generalizations are ignorant beyond measure.

I'm not trying to start a RACE RIOT, and it's cool that you know White DJ's that can do that...

But let me ask you this

What color are you? (so I don't assume), and where are you from?

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with what you're saying.

These aren't "Generalizations" these are my "Opinions", and I'm just expressing them...

If you feel the conversation is not worth contributing to, then I don't want to insult you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
^and by the token I know plenty of black dj's that rock the modern style w/ the advanced techniques.

Ok, so again....

What color are you? (so I don't assume), and where are you from?

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with what you're saying.
djaction 3:54 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Now, to me it seemed that the Black DJ's would naturally be more "Funky", just because...

lol yes black people are just more funky than white people.

www.forumammo.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:55 PM - 17 April, 2010
Also, how OLD are you and the DJ's that you're talking about...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:56 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

lol yes black people are just more funky than white people.

www.forumammo.com

Geez, let's stay on topic here, I can post about how Black people generally have more "Rhytm" than whites..etc..etc..

Again, I'm not trying to "Insult" you, just trying to talk about the Pink Elephant in the room.
djaction 4:02 PM - 17 April, 2010
White. NJ and 28.. but again that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. People are people man. Your line of reasoning is the foundation of racism and separatism. When I choose a doctor.. do I give a fuck about their race? No. Why? Because someones race has nothing to do with how good they are at something.

You could post about black people having more rhythm than whites and you'd again be ignorant and wrong. The greatest bass player of all time (opinion time) is white.. and no I'm not talking about Flea.
djaction 4:03 PM - 17 April, 2010
Mexicans do have more rhythm than black people though..
Maskrider 4:08 PM - 17 April, 2010
Skill has no color........What's the point.
dj_KaSE 4:37 PM - 17 April, 2010
Did you really say "internal funkyness"? lol that is pretty ignorant. You should get out into the world more often. Plus, Steve Dub is half white and half Mexican, so he falls somewhere in the middle lol. He should rely on his internal bean-ness and throw in some rancheras every so often in his mixes.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:51 PM - 17 April, 2010
i just want to be part of this thread Im filipino. filipino rulez!!
howcome 4:57 PM - 17 April, 2010
If some ignorant moron had posted about white people being smarter than black people or some other ignorant falsehood, you, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would already have your bullhorns out screaming about racism. Look up the definition of racism in a dictionary and tell me you did not meet the definition in your post. I think what you probably meant to say was that old school dj's are more funky in their appraoch to scratching. And since scratching started in the black community it is only logical that most of the funky dj's would be old school and black. I also think a lot of the newer scratches are less funky and more robotic. And since djing is more popular with the masses it only makes since that now you will find a lot of whites doing the new scratches. Some old school non black dj's Jealous J, Jock D, Frisco Kid, Q Bert ( I saw him long ago doing old school scratches) and so many more I could not list them all.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:57 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
White. NJ and 28.. but again that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. People are people man. Your line of reasoning is the foundation of racism and separatism. When I choose a doctor.. do I give a fuck about their race? No. Why? Because someones race has nothing to do with how good they are at something.

You could post about black people having more rhythm than whites and you'd again be ignorant and wrong. The greatest bass player of all time (opinion time) is white.. and no I'm not talking about Flea.

Look, I'm not trying to offend you, if you don't want to participate, then skip the thread.

Let's just have a grown conversation.

For example....

I'm wondering if the "Divide" is along the lines of:

Race.

For example, the ENTIRE EAST COAST Top Name DJ's -

GrandMaster Flash
Funkmaster Flex
Grandmixer DST
DJ Scratch
Red Alert
Mr. Cee
X-Men
don't do "Todays' Scratches"...

Why is that?

Is it a EAST COAST/WEST COAST thing?

Is it an AGE thing?

Is it an internal "Funkyness" thing?

Take for example, Jazzy Jeff and DJ's in philly.

He came to NY and KILLED the DJ scene with transforming and everybody thought that was the most wicked thing since the invention of the crossfader in NY.

But, if you look at the DJ's that come out of Philly, (and a LOT of unknowns STILL in Philly), they all seem to be able to rock at a level higher than that of MOST DJ's at that time anyway.

You could have taken ANY Philly DJ at that time, and compared them to a TRI STATE DJ, and they would have killed it....you follow me?

WHY IS THAT?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:59 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
White. NJ and 28.. but again that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. .

Where are you from?

What I've gathered so far is that you're here on NJ, like me, but 15 years younger than me.

So, now I'm wondering, who were your influences? etc..etc..
dj_KaSE 5:00 PM - 17 April, 2010
Seriously, describe internal funkyness. What the hell is that?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:04 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Did you really say "internal funkyness"?

Yes, I did.

For example, I NEVER considered MYSELF "Internally Funky". I was initally raised on AM RADIO -WABC, and the ONLY way I was introduced to "Black Music" was via my Cousin (who was a local hardhead).

Anyway, he came over one day, and said "You have to stop listening to this WHITE MUSIC" all the time, and changed my radio station to WBLS on the FM dial.

I was then now introduced to "Album" versions of songs, and "Disco Singles".

I also had the 1st "Scratch" DJ to enter into the DMC's - DJ Cheese in the next neighborhood over, and my cousin was cool with him.

So, I used to hear his scratches, and couldn't "reproduce" them the way I wanted, because it had a certain "Funkyness" that I didn't think I had.

So, instead, I approached DJ'ing from a Mathematical perspective, by say, doing backspins, in such a way that it would be hard to distinguish if it was a "Multitrack"/Pause Button/ Mastermix, or if it was live.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:06 PM - 17 April, 2010
My approach to DJ'ing THAT way enabled me to battle cats that would "Look" at me, (wearing glasses and not from the Hood), as easy prey when it came to battling.

I can't tell you how many times I took equipment, and had to leave battles with dudes ready to fight because I "embarrassed" them so badly.

I was really known as the DJ from P-way with the Glasses, that would WRECK you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:15 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
If some ignorant moron had posted about white people being smarter than black people or some other ignorant falsehood, you, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would already have your bullhorns out screaming about racism.

You're missing the point, I'm not saying anyone is BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

Here's what I'm saying...

In MY OPINION....

Black DJ's would rock a Traditional Style, and would seem "Funkier", but that style is AGED....

NON-Black DJ's would rock "Today's Style", which is, by today's standards, "Harder, and would require more practice", but concentrates on just FADER tricks...but sounds DOPE.

I "used" to be able to tell if a DJ was NON-Black by the scratches, OR worse yet, I used to be able to "Pre-Judge", JUST BY LOOKING AT A DJ, (race, clothes, swagger, glasses, etc), if I could/should battle them.

Over time, that stigma can't be supported....Do you follow me?

Like if I saw this cat in the street ----> Watchwww.youtube.com,

I would have thought I could EASILY WAX him...

But we all know this isn't true...

I can admit that :-D

But seriously, do you get what I'm sayin?

I haven't seen BLACK DJ's traditionally rock "Today's Scratches" like our White counterparts....
sacrilicious 5:28 PM - 17 April, 2010
Blacks are more intuitive/funky/natural DJs but whites have overtaken them by practicing hard and being good at math?
dj_KaSE 6:04 PM - 17 April, 2010
If you're talking about math, then you must've meant Asians...
sacrilicious 6:08 PM - 17 April, 2010
Just quoting Johnny.

As far as race goes, Filipinos are probably the most dominant DJs per capita by far.
Nicky Blunt 6:11 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Just quoting Johnny.

As far as race goes, Filipinos are probably the most dominant DJs per capita by far.

Two Of My fave DJ's of all time have pinoy heritage, Q-Bert & Babu im pretty sure we can all agree they are fucking sick on the cut!

Noise, pretty dope too, Roc Raida, Craze, does it really matter if they are black wite brown pink yellow, blue green whatever!

If it sounds good its all good, if it dont.... well then it isnt!
DJ TOGTFO 6:39 PM - 17 April, 2010
Johnny, I have internal funkyness. I feel it.
dj shadow from detroit 6:54 PM - 17 April, 2010
this is a stupid thread......... white black brown wtf!!!!

i dont understand.i do understand that don q is a beast.and one of detroits best djs.there other djs in detroit that can scratch as good if not better........even though he is one of my fav djs.......

im white and have been told that i sound like a black dj before.do i know what that means? no i dont!!!! i just do me......its all about old school scratching and new style mixed together.like how don q showed on that video.

alot of djs can only do one or the other.but to do both is another level.

thread is still stupid :) lol!
O.B.1 7:03 PM - 17 April, 2010
I think ethnicity has very little to do with it.

But I agree that 'old school' scratching has more of a natural (basic) rhythmical approach, primarily using the record.
While the more technical 'new school' scratches feature complex patterns, primarily using the fader.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:06 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Blacks are more intuitive/funky/natural DJs but whites have overtaken them by practicing hard and being good at math?

You're almost there.

But I sense the sarcasm, which is cool.

It's a question of why is there still a DIVIDE?

Is it because we (On the EAST COAST, and are Black), didn't know or care about mixers that came out with a Buttery CrossFader? - i.e. Vestax and Rane series?

And just stuck with Old School Numarks and Realistics?

I'm just throwing stuff out there to think of..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:07 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
If you're talking about math, then you must've meant Asians...

Now check this out...

I've seen MORE ASIANS that were RIDICULOUS on the cut, like TEARING UP Rock The Bells, and can't speak a lick of English.

How did they "Learn" that?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:07 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Just quoting Johnny.

What do you mean by "Dominant"?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:09 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
You could post about black people having more rhythm than whites and you'd again be ignorant and wrong.

Why do you say that?

It's always been said that Black people have more Rhythm than white people....not even trying to turn this into a race thing, but you know what I mean...

Quote:
The greatest bass player of all time (opinion time) is white.. and no I'm not talking about Flea.

I would have to disagree there.

By far it would be Bernard Edwards of Chic...RIP.
HYDRO MATIC 7:10 PM - 17 April, 2010
looks like people are getting to defensive...and for the record....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 I agree...
I think it has to due with peoples background more than melanin...
but most black dj's Ive come across mainly due the traditional style of scratches cuase it comes easier...when some people with less rhythm based backgrounds start they need that counting style of learning which is really what propels them to the advanced side of the cut...both can be learned but some people naturally gravitate towards one or the other and most get lazy and just stay there...

side note most of what we call "advanced" scratching in my opinion
is just movements and sound not music...it takes more than being able to due the scratch at tempo to make music out of it....
HYDRO MATIC 7:11 PM - 17 April, 2010
In college you always saw a split between the races on who would enroll in the music theory class vs the music improv class...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:12 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
And since scratching started in the black community it is only logical that most of the funky dj's would be old school and black.

^^^That is how I USED TO THINK, but I want to test it, and go farther...

Quote:
I also think a lot of the newer scratches are less funky and more robotic. And since djing is more popular with the masses it only makes since that now you will find a lot of whites doing the new scratches.

^^^ I would agree with that TODAY, since EVERYBODY is doing the same thing, but when those NEWER scratches first came out, they were DOPE.

Quote:
Some old school non black dj's Jealous J, Jock D, Frisco Kid, Q Bert ( I saw him long ago doing old school scratches) and so many more I could not list them all.

Where are they from? See, this might be a regional thing, as I have NEVER heard of any of them except for Q-Bert.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:14 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Just quoting Johnny.

Two Of My fave DJ's of all time have pinoy heritage, Q-Bert & Babu im pretty sure we can all agree they are fucking sick on the cut!

Noise, pretty dope too, Roc Raida, Craze, does it really matter if they are black wite brown pink yellow, blue green whatever!

If it sounds good its all good, if it dont.... well then it isnt!

No, it doesn't REALLY matter what color they are, but the question is ...

Why is there still the divide? And there IS...Thus the Pink Elephant we're talking about right now....

For example, the first "WHITE GUY" DJ that I've ever heard that could rip it was MIX MASTER MIKE....

And HE sounded funky....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:20 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

im white and have been told that i sound like a black dj before.do i know what that means? no i dont!!!!

^^^^^BINGO!!!!

This is EXACTLY what this thread is ABOUT!!!

Ok, you're a perfect speciment/example....

WHO TOLD YOU, that you sounded like a BLACK DJ?

Was it Black People?
Were it OTHER BLACK DJ's?
White People?
White DJ's?

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

And before we go off track, I'm STRICTLY TALKING HIPHOP SCRATCH DJ'ing...

Because I already know, in the HOUSE/TRANCE/EDM arena, there is absolutely no way to tell whos' DJ'ing...

Take for example my boy TOGTFO. He's Asian, or something like that, but can throw down a CLASSIC DISCO Sylvester scarf twirling baby powder on the dancefloor mix set that will leave you speechless.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:21 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

alot of djs can only do one or the other.but to do both is another level.

I agree, as I may initially be impressed with a cat that can do Todays' scratches flawlessly, if I keep investigating, and find out that he can't go back and forth, mix for beans, or keep the crowd movin, he starts to loose points.....
djchope 7:22 PM - 17 April, 2010
im a brownie! i could sound like a white or black dj
wazupp
:D
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:24 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
looks like people are getting to defensive...and for the record....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 I agree...
I think it has to due with peoples background more than melanin...
but most black dj's Ive come across mainly due the traditional style of scratches cuase it comes easier...when some people with less rhythm based backgrounds start they need that counting style of learning which is really what propels them to the advanced side of the cut...both can be learned but some people naturally gravitate towards one or the other and most get lazy and just stay there....

Ok this has to be the BEST RESPONSE I've seen thus far, and I tend to agree...

Like, I used to wonder if DJ Cheese, Jazzy Jeff, or other great Rhythmic scratchers played musical instruments, or drums, etc..etc..

vs.

someone like me taking a "scientific approach" to DJ'ing....and eventually developing a style and mastering it.
Henry GQ 7:25 PM - 17 April, 2010
johnny .. u really have too much time on ur hands. im almost disgusted by this thread but curious at the same time.

ive been told i have a black mans butt and dick. and all the chocolate ladies love me. i guess i have the internal funky.

IMO its just really a matter of when u grew up, who was ur idol, where u grew up, what u listened to growing up. how u were exposed to music. i dunno about being a certain race has anything to do with it? but who knows....

i really think the asian/filipino djs have been more noticeable lately. and when i say that i mean.. they have really stepped up in the dj scene...

but anyone can have the funkyness. whatever race you are. i and many other white people can dance better than black people.. what does that say ? nothing.

i wish everyone was purple. then johnny can say.. do people with biggge noses rock turntables better than people with bigger ears.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:27 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

side note most of what we call "advanced" scratching in my opinion
is just movements and sound not music...it takes more than being able to do the scratch at tempo to make music out of it....

I agree, but that's todays "Standard"....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:30 PM - 17 April, 2010
Take for example - DJ Cash Money at 0:47. to 1:11 --->> Watchwww.youtube.com

To ME, I'm wondering, how did he come up with the pattern that he did?

I could never see myself coming up with something so Freestylish (at that time), and nobody was TOUCHING that type of scratching...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:34 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
johnny .. u really have too much time on ur hands. im almost disgusted by this thread but curious at the same time.

I'm known for creating thought provoking threads!

Quote:
ive been told i have a black mans butt and dick. and all the chocolate ladies love me. i guess i have the internal funky.

NOW I'M DISGUSTED! LMAO...

Quote:
IMO its just really a matter of when u grew up, who was ur idol, where u grew up, what u listened to growing up. how u were exposed to music. i dunno about being a certain race has anything to do with it? but who knows....

My thought exactly.....but that's why I'm asking the question

Quote:
i really think the asian/filipino djs have been more noticeable lately. and when i say that i mean.. they have really stepped up in the dj scene...

Now THIS ^^^^ is the absolute truth. I used to run with a Filipino crew (along Thundercat), and when I look back, I was pimped by them, because they brought me to all the "Battles" and my job was to be their "Secret Weapon" when it came to scratching, until they eventually learned to do it themselves....

So again, there's the Black Rhythm thing....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:34 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
In college you always saw a split between the races on who would enroll in the music theory class vs the music improv class...

You and I are RIGHT >>>>>HERE<<<<< you know EXACTLY what I'm talkin about...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:37 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

But I agree that 'old school' scratching has more of a natural (basic) rhythmical approach, primarily using the record.
While the more technical 'new school' scratches feature complex patterns, primarily using the fader.

I agree 1000%!

But look at what groups are attached to what type of scratch....
Henry GQ 7:39 PM - 17 April, 2010
you are the king of quotes. must be a black thing.
O.B.1 7:41 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I agree 1000%!

But look at what AGE groups are attached to what type of scratch....

fixed
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:46 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree 1000%!

But look at what AGE groups are attached to what type of scratch....

fixed

I would have said that too...

BUTTTTTT

Look at the NEW AGE DJ's in NY/NJ still.

They are still doing "Traditional" scratches....

All over HOT 97, I haven't heard A SINGLE CRAB YET, except for DJ Spinbad....

and he's White.

Now, do you see where I'm going?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:46 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
you are the king of quotes. must be a black thing.

Ha ha...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:48 PM - 17 April, 2010
Maybe Funkyness has to do with a Natural sense of music?

Like how some are BORN Musicians vs. others who are forced to take the class?
O.B.1 7:55 PM - 17 April, 2010
I'm white, and I grew up listening to artists such as Run DMC, EPMD, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, NWA, 2Live Crew, Sir Mix-Alot, etc. all who used the 'primitive' style of scratching.
I admit that my style of scratching leans toward the more funky, rhythmical, adlib approach due to my earlier influences. But I also have played the drums for 20 yrs.
and this may also be a factor.
I am constantly striving to keep up with the artform as it evloves, and often practice the newer 'robotic' style of cuts, but I always try to keep it musical.

(I went to "Black" church at a really young age, and it was definitely more musical oriented that any 'white' church I've been to)

Quote:
Maybe Funkyness has to do with a Natural sense of music?

Like how some are BORN Musicians vs. others who are forced to take the class?

I think you hit the nail on the head here, and I believe there is a happy medium, that one can achieve the best of both worlds.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:59 PM - 17 April, 2010
I just didnt' have a better way to "say it" I guess,

The same with me in the church. They FOCUSED on the music. What's funny is that I recently spoke to a dude I used to see to recone my JBL's (when I wasn't careful). He's a sound installer, and mentioned a church that he installed JBL Bass Bins in, and the minute he said it, I knew which church he was talking about, as I had been a member for about a year...

I'm sitting up in church like "Yo, this sound system is OFF THE CHAIN'...lol...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:00 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
But I also have played the drums for 20 yrs. and this may also be a factor..

Do you think the drums have anything to do with your approach to scratching?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:03 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

im white and have been told that i sound like a black dj before.do i know what that means? no i dont!!!!

^^^^^BINGO!!!!

This is EXACTLY what this thread is ABOUT!!!

Ok, you're a perfect speciment/example....

WHO TOLD YOU, that you sounded like a BLACK DJ?

Was it Black People?
Were it OTHER BLACK DJ's?
White People?
White DJ's?

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

And before we go off track, I'm STRICTLY TALKING HIPHOP SCRATCH DJ'ing...

I'm still awaiting an answer this THIS question though...
dj_craigmac 8:14 PM - 17 April, 2010
some of yall are not being honest. johnny is just bold enuff to take it there. i see the whole race stereotype thing all the time. people see an asian dj they think he's a turntablist qber style dj. people see a black dj they think he's a dirtysouth playin hiphop style dj. people see a white dj and think of dj AM. I'm not sayin stereotyping is right but it happens. some of yall aint being honest admitting that you do it or at least you have preconceived notions of a dj based on race region and age.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:16 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Mexicans do have more rhythm than black people though..

And I'm inclined to believe this...

Why? Because I've grown up around Black folk all my life, and YES, we love to dance...

However, lately I've done more Spanish Oriented parties, and they LOOOOOVVVVEEEE to dance...

And dance HARD....

And I'm talking all Generations.....

I really wanted to learn Spanish for a minute.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:19 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
some of yall are not being honest. johnny is just bold enuff to take it there. i see the whole race stereotype thing all the time. people see an asian dj they think he's a turntablist qber style dj. people see a black dj they think he's a dirtysouth playin hiphop style dj. people see a white dj and think of dj AM. I'm not sayin stereotyping is right but it happens. some of yall aint being honest admitting that you do it or at least you have preconceived notions of a dj based on race region and age.

There it is! The Pink Elephant has been unveiled!!!

Music CAN be transparent, BUT can also EASILY be assocated with Race and Ethnic background.

In that respect, THE DJ can be too!

Then if you drill down, and expose the "Type" of DJ'ing that they do, you are able to have this type of discussion.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:40 PM - 17 April, 2010
LOL - u guys are funny turning this into a race riot. I actually tweeted this to Don Q and I'm sure he'll be ROTFL. My thing is that Don is a good scratch DJ as well as a good radio mixer and club jock, and he could probably give Vice, Flipstyles, and some of the other "famous DJs" a run for the money BUT since his market is Detroit Urban - he has to play "hood shit".

I think he mixes live after 6pm est tonight (sat) and goes live from a club later tonight on wjlbfm98.com if you all want to check him out beyond the scratching
RogerRabbit 8:45 PM - 17 April, 2010
Epic thread in progress.. tracking..

Your wrong for this Johnny... you know damm well people still aint comfortable with any type of racial discussions...
Henry GQ 8:49 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

this doesnt pertain to just djing. its everything

and its called prejudice. and i dont what anyone says. everyone.. and i mean everyone is prejudice. we all pre judge everythign in life. there is a difference between this and racism.

anyways. i really dont see asian as q bert style at all.. or black as dirty south djs. i would say that black djs do play more hip hop then say pop.

where white djs could care less, they just wanna rock everything and mash it all together.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:50 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
LOL - u guys are funny turning this into a race riot. I actually tweeted this to Don Q and I'm sure he'll be ROTFL. My thing is that Don is a good scratch DJ as well as a good radio mixer and club jock, and he could probably give Vice, Flipstyles, and some of the other "famous DJs" a run for the money BUT since his market is Detroit Urban - he has to play "hood shit".

I think he mixes live after 6pm est tonight (sat) and goes live from a club later tonight on wjlbfm98.com if you all want to check him out beyond the scratching

Oh, NOW if he'd come in HERE in comment, I'D LOVE to know what his influences were/are, how old he is, musical background, social security number, ALL THAT!

Good Work DJ Art!
RogerRabbit 8:54 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

anyways. i really dont see asian as q bert style at all.. or black as dirty south djs. i would say that black djs do play more hip hop then say pop.

where white djs could care less, they just wanna rock everything and mash it all together.

So white dj's are better at an open format style then?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:56 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Epic thread in progress.. tracking..

Your wrong for this Johnny... you know damm well people still aint comfortable with any type of racial discussions...

Dude YOU ALREADY KNOW...

But we've been on this board FOR YEARS, met up, shared ideas, etc.etc, so there should be NOTHING that we can't rationally discuss.

I could see if I'm trying to BASH someone, but that's obviously not the case...

If you REALLY get technical, I'm saying, I (as a BLACK DJ), don't see other BLACK DJ's (including myself), crossing over to the Qbert style of scratching, twiddling, flaring, etc..etc..and don't know why?

Me personally? I just wonder if I'm stuck (or my hands are conditioned) to JUST DO cuts from "1989", get lazy, and not keep striving, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

I've done everything I've wanted to do "DJ- Wise", but this may be a project that I may need to undertake....but in the pursuit of it, I happened to notice that us EAST COAST DJ's don't embrace Today's Scratching, and was trying' to flush out what's stopping us?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:56 PM - 17 April, 2010
Damn iPhone - correct link to wjlb - www.fm98wjlb.com

dj don q usually on between 6pm & 9pm with dj polo and after 10 live from club est

sorry for bad link above
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:59 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
i would say that black djs do play more hip hop then say pop.

But even THAT is a preconcieved notion.

For example, my FAVORITE ARTIST of all time is ELTON JOHN. I could play a Classic Rock set that will make go out and buy Gene Simmon's makeup kit and Guitar Hero.

White DJ's, (IMO) are preconcieved to want to be like DJ AM...aka Vegas DJ's...

I would even challenge A LOT of White DJ's musical collections...ON VINYL...
Henry GQ 9:44 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

So white dj's are better at an open format style then?

did i say that ? NO
Henry GQ 9:48 PM - 17 April, 2010
nah johnny i wouldn say thats true, at least with me. i llike everything, and who knows what the definaition of a vegas dj really is ?

i just wanna rock whats hot, whether it be electro, hip ho... rock.
by the way. rock is really sad these days, its lost its edge. its sexy. rock is not sexy anymore. thats why bitches love dancing to hip hop. hip hop is sexy, its dirty...

rock is not that anymore.
DJ TOGTFO 10:05 PM - 17 April, 2010
I think Asians are the best DJs..EVER... Big Ups to Qbert, Enferno, Neil Armstrong, Kentaro, and my personal favorite DJ, not named Jazzy jeff or Larry Levan, Kid Koala

Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm jsut saying no black or white DJ could do this shit (no racism), I think its bc Asians draw from more different directions. Blacks tend to follow, emulate, black DJs. Whiteboys draw inspiration from white DJs... We asians draw from multiple inspirations.
Dj Mike P. 10:18 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
If some ignorant moron had posted about white people being smarter than black people or some other ignorant falsehood, you, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would already have your bullhorns out screaming about racism.

You're missing the point, I'm not saying anyone is BETTER THAN THE OTHER.

Here's what I'm saying...

In MY OPINION....

Black DJ's would rock a Traditional Style, and would seem "Funkier", but that style is AGED....

NON-Black DJ's would rock "Today's Style", which is, by today's standards, "Harder, and would require more practice", but concentrates on just FADER tricks...but sounds DOPE.

I "used" to be able to tell if a DJ was NON-Black by the scratches, OR worse yet, I used to be able to "Pre-Judge", JUST BY LOOKING AT A DJ, (race, clothes, swagger, glasses, etc), if I could/should battle them.

Over time, that stigma can't be supported....Do you follow me?

Like if I saw this cat in the street ----> Watchwww.youtube.com ,

I would have thought I could EASILY WAX him...

But we all know this isn't true...

I can admit that :-D

But seriously, do you get what I'm sayin?

I haven't seen BLACK DJ's traditionally rock "Today's Scratches" like our White counterparts....

I get what your saying, most black djs dont get in to the new technical stuff as much, some do but its usually a small part of their routines and mixes (Total Eclise, Dj Dummy, Dj Scratch, Roc Raida - RIP) to name a few. they normally stick to the traditional scratches and tricks. A crab scratch looks good, but doesnt sound as fresh as a good transformer. let me re-phrase that a lot of guys spend time getting technical but dont even really scratch to the beat it just sounds like noise, not saying white or other, just a lot of cats learning the really technical scratches dont always apply it musically like Q-Bert.
DJ CISC0 11:08 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Me personally? I just wonder if I'm stuck (or my hands are conditioned) to JUST DO cuts from "1989", get lazy, and not keep striving, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
I think it has everything to do with this and not a race thing. I'm actually trying to step my "advanced" scratch game up this year just because of spicing things up a bit when I mix but not because the asians and whites are doing it.
djaction 11:19 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

GrandMaster Flash
Funkmaster Flex
Grandmixer DST
DJ Scratch
Red Alert
Mr. Cee
X-Men

Thats a very selective list. No DJ AM and no Spinbad?

The entire top east coast dj's you listed dont do todays scratches because they are oldschool djs. They do what has worked for them and havent switched it up. No complaints here.

However todays East coast dj'ing has de-evolved from turntablism into 'entertainment' (see the mr cee videos). So you have entire generations of east coast DJ's looking up to the clowns on nyc radio and being inspired by them. Hell I'd be happy if these new cats were learning the oldschool scratches but you dont even hear that on the radio. Now if you turn on a Philly station or West coast station its a completely different ballgame.. catrs are mixing, scratching, actually putting in work..
djaction 11:20 PM - 17 April, 2010
(and yes AM is an east coast DJ)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:24 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
nah johnny i wouldn say thats true, at least with me. i llike everything, and who knows what the definaition of a vegas dj really is ?

i just wanna rock whats hot, whether it be electro, hip ho... rock.
by the way. rock is really sad these days, its lost its edge. its sexy. rock is not sexy anymore. thats why bitches love dancing to hip hop. hip hop is sexy, its dirty...

I was specific when I said "CLASSIC" rock...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:29 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
I think Asians are the best DJs..EVER... Big Ups to Qbert, Enferno, Neil Armstrong, Kentaro, and my personal favorite DJ, not named Jazzy jeff or Larry Levan, Kid Koala

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm jsut saying no black or white DJ could do this shit (no racism), I think its bc Asians draw from more different directions. Blacks tend to follow, emulate, black DJs. Whiteboys draw inspiration from white DJs... We asians draw from multiple inspirations.

That was cool, I've seen that before.

I also saw a vid of some (Asian?) guy on a rooftop doing some REAL cool *ish, along the lines of what you have shown here...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:30 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

I get what your saying, most black djs dont get in to the new technical stuff as much, some do but its usually a small part of their routines and mixes (Total Eclise, Dj Dummy, Dj Scratch, Roc Raida - RIP) to name a few. they normally stick to the traditional scratches and tricks. A crab scratch looks good, but doesnt sound as fresh as a good transformer. let me re-phrase that a lot of guys spend time getting technical but dont even really scratch to the beat it just sounds like noise, not saying white or other, just a lot of cats learning the really technical scratches dont always apply it musically like Q-Bert.

Now, you see what I'm saying...
O.B.1 11:31 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

I also saw a vid of some (Asian?) guy on a rooftop doing some REAL cool *ish, along the lines of what you have shown here...

that's Kentaro 'Bird's Eye View' juggle.
amazing stuff!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:33 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
I think it has everything to do with this and not a race thing. I'm actually trying to step my "advanced" scratch game up this year just because of spicing things up a bit when I mix but not because the asians and whites are doing it.

I see what you're saying, but in my journey, I'm trying' to figure out "Why" more, for example, Black DJ's aren't doing the same thing?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:33 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

amazing stuff!

Ahhh, link please!!!

But that's what I'm talking about...

WHO MAKES UP THIS STUFF?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:40 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

GrandMaster Flash
Funkmaster Flex
Grandmixer DST
DJ Scratch
Red Alert
Mr. Cee
X-Men

Thats a very selective list. No DJ AM and no Spinbad?

I DID mention Spinbad here --->>>

Quote:
I would have said that too...

BUTTTTTT
Look at the NEW AGE DJ's in NY/NJ still.
They are still doing "Traditional" scratches....
All over HOT 97, I haven't heard A SINGLE CRAB YET, except for DJ Spinbad....
and he's White.

As for DJ AM, I mentioned in a previous thread that he was OFFICIAL in my book when I heard a mix he did where he used REAL hiphop records, and I've seen him use straight vinyl.

Quote:
The entire top east coast dj's you listed dont do todays scratches because they are oldschool djs. They do what has worked for them and havent switched it up. No complaints here.

However todays East coast dj'ing has de-evolved from turntablism into 'entertainment' (see the mr cee videos). So you have entire generations of east coast DJ's looking up to the clowns on nyc radio and being inspired by them. Hell I'd be happy if these new cats were learning the oldschool scratches but you dont even hear that on the radio. Now if you turn on a Philly station or West coast station its a completely different ballgame.. catrs are mixing, scratching, actually putting in work..

Now you and I are on the same page...(except for calling them "Clowns"),. but YES Philly is putting in WORK!

So you think it's a De-Evolvement for an entire coast?
O.B.1 11:44 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
But I also have played the drums for 20 yrs. and this may also be a factor..

Do you think the drums have anything to do with your approach to scratching?

Absolutley!
Rhythm and timing are crucial, and counting notes (triplets, 8th, 16th, 32nd notes, etc.)
as well as the ability to improvise upon a groove.
And things like Time Signatures & Syncopation... all these can be applied to scratching.

(I think of scratching as just another musical instrument)

Think about it, there are classical guitarists, (usually trained/schooled)
and blues guitarists who play from the "feel"
and metal shredder virtuosos who are always taking it to another level.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:

This is also interesting....

Music TODAY has crossed MANY color lines, so now it's possible to put on a song that EVERYBODY in a MIXED crowd will jump up to.

Even though today's HipHop is in a SAD STATE as far as content is concerned, it DOES cross many racial divides and I guess "Unites" people via music...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 PM - 17 April, 2010
Quote:
Now if you turn on a Philly station or West coast station its a completely different ballgame.. catrs are mixing, scratching, actually putting in work..

Just noticed this...

Now, I've been hearing different things about West Coast stations also, like the scratching ISN'T up to par these days....

I have always thought the West Coast was GREAT for preserving Old School Beats and songs, but have no idea about it's DJ's technical level.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 PM - 17 April, 2010
Let's take this a little FARTHER...

How many of you are, for example the WHITE (or non Black ) DJ in an all/mostly Black club or venue?

Do you get strange looks? Did you have to "Prove" yourself more? Do you get threats? Are cats respecting you?

How many of you are BLACK DJ's in all/mostly WHITE (or non Black ) clubs or venues?

Same questions apply above.

How do YOU as a BLACK DJ "view" a White (or non Black ) DJ in a Black Club? Do they cut the mustard?

How do YOU as a WHITE (or non Black ) DJ "view" a Black DJ in a White (or non Black )Club? Do they cut the mustard?

Let's get it poppin!
dj shadow from detroit 12:03 AM - 18 April, 2010
i been told numerous times by my black male and female friends... lol!
that i sound like a black dj ( thats not a bad thing ). i take that as a compliment :)
but i still dont understand what that means.

i grew up in southwest detroit and was influenced by my environment,different djs.

back in the 80s and 90s scratching was based on all rhythm scratching even with today's scratches i use the same approach.i feel that old school djs that learned new scratch techniques sound more fluid with there rhythm --- dj don q for example.

alot of newer djs learn the new stuff first ( which is alright ) but it seems to be missing that soul.where you can close your eyes and vibe to it.

it doesn't matter what color someone is.its all about the gift they have.come on this is common sense.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:07 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

amazing stuff!

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:12 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
i been told numerous times by my black male and female friends... lol!
that i sound like a black dj ( thats not a bad thing ). i take that as a compliment :)
but i still dont understand what that means.

i grew up in southwest detroit and was influenced by my environment,different djs.

back in the 80s and 90s scratching was based on all rhythm scratching even with today's scratches i use the same approach.i feel that old school djs that learned new scratch techniques sound more fluid with there rhythm --- dj don q for example.

Ok, so Don Q is an Old School Head...Ok, well, I guess I should have known since he was able to differentiate between "Old School" and "New" scratches...

Quote:

alot of newer djs learn the new stuff first ( which is alright ) but it seems to be missing that soul.where you can close your eyes and vibe to it.

I agree 100 % with that statement!

Quote:

it doesn't matter what color someone is.its all about the gift they have.come on this is common sense.

In a perfect world it REALLY WOULD be common sense, but the truth is that we all have influences from SOMEWHERE, and some of these things are not "gifts", but moreso a "skill" that has been refined over time.
dj shadow from detroit 12:17 AM - 18 April, 2010
you can tell a difference from a gift and practice.

just like you can tell when someone has a gift and practices alot :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:21 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
you can tell a difference from a gift and practice.

just like you can tell when someone has a gift and practices alot :)

Are you sure?

Would you say a "Gift" is what I meant by "Funkyness"?
dj shadow from detroit 12:25 AM - 18 April, 2010
yea funkyness is a gift.something thats inside your soul.you have to have it before it comes out....
djchriscruz 12:28 AM - 18 April, 2010
He's 2 ill ass black DJ's here in VA: DJ Bee and DJ BabeyDrew(Chris Browns DJ)

Watchwww.vimeo.com

They're both on the top mainstream hip hop station in the area. They're crazy ill on the cuts and watch the WHOLE video.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:29 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
Johnny, I have internal funkyness. I feel it.

No, that's gas...
dj shadow from detroit 12:32 AM - 18 April, 2010
alot of djs can scratch but the soul is missing.like said above old school musicians played on the vibe and feeling like freestyling there sessions,this is because that soul took over:)

you can tell the difference it hits your soul when you hear it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
He's 2 ill ass black DJ's here in VA: DJ Bee and DJ BabeyDrew(Chris Browns DJ)

Watchwww.vimeo.com Watchwww.vimeo.com

They're both on the top mainstream hip hop station in the area. They're crazy ill on the cuts and watch the WHOLE video.

I watched that vid, and initially was like, the Lightskinned guy is NICER on the cuts....

But when they switched hands, the Darker skinned Guy was the master...

Excellent hand work on switching UP HANDS! That was excellent.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:40 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
The greatest bass player of all time (opinion time) is white.. and no I'm not talking about Flea.

I would have to disagree there.

By far it would be Bernard Edwards of Chic...RIP.

I love Bernard Edwards, but James Jamerson is the greatest bass player of all time. Played EVERYTHING with one finger. Bass players of the world still give him props.

Four Tops - Bernadette Watchwww.youtube.com

Four Tops - Standing In The Shadow of Love Watchwww.youtube.com

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Supremes Watchwww.youtube.com

Jackson 5 - Darling Dear Watchwww.youtube.com

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye. Story is told he came in drunk and played this laying on his back. Watchwww.youtube.com

And BTW...I get your thread too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:05 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:

And BTW...I get your thread too.

Cool!

On the surface, it looks and sounds crazy, but it's not about racism....

Oh, and thank for the info on James Jamerson, I think we should make a separate thread for Bass Players....btw...
DJDDT 2:56 AM - 18 April, 2010
I didn't read everyone's post on this discussion, so I may be saying the same thing as another DJ.

But...the way I see it (or have been seeing it over the years), when turntablism was being cultivated the Black DJs were going off soul, and natural feel. That natural feel turned into technique. That technique began to be studied (I dare to compare turntablism to beloved Jazz music).

As the technique of turntablism was more & more deeply studied and taught (yeah, I'ma say it), Black DJs started to show our laziness; Black DJs didn't learn too much more after the "feel."

Man, look at the French guys from C2C...look at the Japanese DJs. Look at all the turntablists from every other non-Black country & culture...they study...and practice. REALLY practice. DJ Don Q takes on a different mindstate than most Blacks...ESPECIALLY where we're from. And I'm glad DJ Mo Beatz (and a few others here in Detroit) have picked up the same habits.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:21 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
I didn't read everyone's post on this discussion, so I may be saying the same thing as another DJ.

But...the way I see it (or have been seeing it over the years), when turntablism was being cultivated the Black DJs were going off soul, and natural feel. That natural feel turned into technique. That technique began to be studied (I dare to compare turntablism to beloved Jazz music).

As the technique of turntablism was more & more deeply studied and taught (yeah, I'ma say it), Black DJs started to show our laziness; Black DJs didn't learn too much more after the "feel."

Man, look at the French guys from C2C...look at the Japanese DJs. Look at all the turntablists from every other non-Black country & culture...they study...and practice. REALLY practice. DJ Don Q takes on a different mindstate than most Blacks...ESPECIALLY where we're from. And I'm glad DJ Mo Beatz (and a few others here in Detroit) have picked up the same habits.

Now THAT'S keeping it 100....

I don't even know what to say, as that may have said it all.
SuckaDJ 4:24 AM - 18 April, 2010
OP acts as if he is the ish. Noticed that in the other post also... Flawless this flawless that! Blah blah... I know of a guy just like that (personality wise) and everyone clowns on him so much... Feel bad for him :(
SuckaDJ 4:25 AM - 18 April, 2010
Oh and +1 for worst thread
djchriscruz 6:09 AM - 18 April, 2010
I think that more black DJ's just dont care to scratch and do turntablist tricks. Most hood DJ's would rather strive to be the next Khaled or Drama rather than Jazzy Jeff.
O.B.1 10:08 AM - 18 April, 2010
skillz pay the billz,
no matter what color your epidermis...

take notes JOHNNYM
O.B.1 10:10 AM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
I think that more black DJ's just dont care to scratch and do turntablist tricks. Most hood DJ's would rather strive to be the next Khaled or Drama rather than Jazzy Jeff.

do they produce too?
because they ain't got nuthin' on Jazzy!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:54 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
OP acts as if he is the ish. Noticed that in the other post also... Flawless this flawless that! Blah blah... I know of a guy just like that (personality wise) and everyone clowns on him so much... Feel bad for him :(

Man, don't be tryin' to close my thread....if it's not a conversation for you, then you know....

<<<<<<<<<----------- Exit stage left
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:56 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:

Hmmm.....

Do you think that's because it's the "EASIER" route to take, whereas you don't have to practice as much?

Or do you think it's a faster way to GET PAID?

Is the mindset something of, Turntablism vs. Entertainer - who would get more recognition, money, offers of employment, notoriety, etc..etc.?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:57 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
skillz pay the billz,
no matter what color your epidermis...

take notes JOHNNYM

That's not necessarily true, as we see "DJ's turned ENTERTAINERS", getting PHAT checks, vs. the "Scratch Technician"....
Henry GQ 4:44 PM - 18 April, 2010
is khaled even black? or drama all black ?

this is fucked up. but i think people would wanna get paid, so they look up to those kind of djs.. if they were gettin to that point. theres no doubt that jazzy put in time n effort into his craft.

and seeing how theres ten million jokes about blacks being lazy... does this pertain to the hustle of being a dj ?
if so...
how do u explain the hip hop artist(who are black) that have made it past two albums? do they just have more hustle? more grind? then say the artist that didnt even get to a second album ?

still an interesting topic. but very touchy.
SuckaDJ 6:01 PM - 18 April, 2010
People that don't get to a second album did it for the money. Got lucky and now they're out spending.
sixxx 6:16 PM - 18 April, 2010
NOT ONCE in my entire life have I ever listened to a mix and wondered if the DJ was black, white, asian, hispanic, etc.

If you're wack, you're wack. If you're amazing, you're amazing. If you're average, you're average. You get the point.

People, in general, want to learn what they see/hear or experience IN THEIR LIFETIME. It can be through association (think seeing someone doing it live), TV or radio. It's all about how much you like what you see, and most importanly, how far you're willing to go to try and learn what you see.... or hear, for those of us who learned some DJ stuff by trying to immitate some mixtapes.

Bottom line, the level of how far you can go is NOT limited by the color of your skin. It's limited by your ability to learn, your willingness to practice and put work into it AND your age. Usually, the younger your start the easier it becomes but that's not to say that you have to start young to be great. It may just make it easier.
Nicky Blunt 6:16 PM - 18 April, 2010
or their 1st album was shit so no one offered them a deal on the second one
dj shadow from detroit 6:28 PM - 18 April, 2010
sixxx - good post i agree 100%
Nicky Blunt 6:31 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
sixxx - good post i agree 100%

+1
Henry GQ 6:38 PM - 18 April, 2010
good deal sixx.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:20 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:

Bottom line, the level of how far you can go is NOT limited by the color of your skin. It's limited by your ability to learn, your willingness to practice and put work into it AND your age.

Great post sixxx.

My question is, how can an entire East Coast of "Well known" DJ's, (except for 2, Spinbad and AM), not be learning towards "Advanced Scratching"?

I understand that most of the DJ's I've listed are of a certain age, but there are still the young boys on Hot97 & Power 105, DJ Camillo, Suss-One, Cipha Sounds, Kast-One, Green Lantern, DJ Absolut, DJ Envy.

I stress Hot97 because that station is world famous, and should be stepping up to the plate.

Also, these DJ's are a combination of BOTH Black and Hispanic (to the best of my knowledge), so what's the deal?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:21 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:

still an interesting topic. but very touchy.

This is true, but if it's not taken out of context, we can roll with it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:29 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
and seeing how theres ten million jokes about blacks being lazy... does this pertain to the hustle of being a dj ?

I think we as Black DJ's have BEEN the leaders in the Turtable/MC's HipHop game for a LONG TIME, and with that comes a sense of complacency.

I know I've "paid my dues", and somewhat expect my name and rep to speak for itself.

Is that wrong for me think that way?

I totally understand if someone's NEVER heard of me, then I have to show and prove like the next man, but most times, I don't need to DJ for a crowd like that.

I usually am booked by reference, or repeat customer, or someone has seen/heard my work.

That being said, is my "Excuse" for not going the "Extra" mile, since I know I will make the same money, only other DJ's would be interested in "Advanced" scratching, and it would take up more time than I currently want to devote right now.

But I'm saying, IS THAT THE SAME REASONING FOR AN ENTIRE COAST?
GO dj 9:27 PM - 18 April, 2010
depends on what area your're in
AKIEM 9:30 PM - 18 April, 2010
this thread is ignorant (at least started that way)

The reason is how large, influential, pervasive, copied, co-opted, and comercial Hip-Hop has become. It has fractured into many scenes. Black people can not dominate or even care to be involved in each scene due to demographics. White people still make up the majority of the population so will completely dominate certain splinters of the whole. If you took all the non-Black people out of Hip-Hop, I would guess that there would be e pretty good percentage of turntablists compared to when Hip-Hop started - even with the hyper-commercialism that has often been at odds with the DJ.

On a side note - I would hope that so called White people would quite calling themselves 'white' and we could get rid od that label so the rest could fallow. This is the only way that we can rid ourselves of racism.
DJ Overpour 9:57 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
Oh and +1 for worst thread

+2 This is amazing
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:49 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
Black people can not dominate or even care to be involved in each scene due to demographics.

What demographics? Black people are all over.

If you took a cross section of ALL HIP HOP DJ's, you would see that Asian, White, Filipino, and Hispanic DJ's make up a DISPROPORTIONATE amount of Turntablists for each ethnic background....

Better yet, you'd see that it would actually be split evenly between the Asians, Whites, Hispanics, and Filipinos....

Why aren't there more Blacks just generally doing Turntablism?

If you do a search of 100 vids on Youtube for Turntablism, I could guarantee that you'd only see about 10 Black "Turntablists", if that.

If you just did a GENERAL search of DJ's, then everythings equal.

I've personally only seen about 5. and that's including Don Q.
sacrilicious 11:19 PM - 18 April, 2010
Must be that blacks aren't physically capable of intricate scratches. Muscular architecture is adapted for dominating the NBA. Poor Asians only have one dude in there I think.

[/racism]
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:36 PM - 18 April, 2010
Quote:
Must be that blacks aren't physically capable of intricate scratches. Muscular architecture is adapted for dominating the NBA. Poor Asians only have one dude in there I think.

[/racism]

Wow, is that all you can contribute to this thread?
CMOS 11:42 PM - 18 April, 2010
I CAN HEAR JIMMY DAMNIT!!!!
sacrilicious 11:58 PM - 18 April, 2010
No, I posted earlier, too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:16 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
No, I posted earlier, too.

Oh, yeah I tried to ignore that post -->>

Quote:

So, I'm sayin, if all you have are wisecracks, why even bother?
AKIEM 12:19 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Black people can not dominate or even care to be involved in each scene due to demographics.

What demographics? Black people are all over.

Black people are still 12% or whatever US nation wide.

so you are going to have entire scenes composed of non-Black people no matter what

Quote:

If you took a cross section of ALL HIP HOP DJ's, you would see that Asian, White, Filipino, and Hispanic DJ's make up a DISPROPORTIONATE amount of Turntablists for each ethnic background....

yes

Quote:

Better yet, you'd see that it would actually be split evenly between the Asians, Whites, Hispanics, and Filipinos....

I dont think so - but no argument

Quote:

I dont agree

Why aren't there more Blacks just generally doing Turntablism?

The reason is how large, influential, pervasive, copied, co-opted, and comercial Hip-Hop has become. It has fractured into many scenes. Black people can not dominate or even care to be involved in each scene due to demographics. White people still make up the majority of the population so will completely dominate certain splinters of the whole. If you took all the non-Black people out of Hip-Hop, I would guess that there would be e pretty good percentage of turntablists compared to when Hip-Hop started - even with the hyper-commercialism that has often been at odds with the DJ.

Quote:

If you do a search of 100 vids on Youtube for Turntablism, I could guarantee that you'd only see about 10 Black "Turntablists", if that.

Um - which is about proportional to the population.

Another thing to think about, especially Graf and B-Boying but also Tunrtablism do not carry as much of a cultural narrative compared to MCing for example. Meaning that Rap is still a Black Cultural expression partly because it is specifically stated. But turntablism is different - a scratch cant really be a 'Black Power Scratch' the way a rhyme can be. So that opens the doorway more for White kids to get involved in Hip-Hop through.

But yes, what you are saying about Turntablism can also be said about Graffiti and about B-Boying.

And add that to the commercialization. To a large degree in the last 20, 30 years Black culture has been carried, communicated and controlled by a corporate structure. Even though corporate black culture is sold to the masses in general it has black youth more strongly caught up into that money making feedback loop. That comercial for profit structure has less place for turntablism in it. So Black youth are more caught up into Rap and corporate Hot97 DJing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:01 AM - 19 April, 2010
You make an EXCELLENT point with the Graffiti and B-Boying reference. That part of hiphop is DEFINTELY saturated with NON-Black now.

But I'm still pressed to know WHY we as Black DJ's don't embrace Turntablism like the NON-Blacks do?

I stopped following the DMC's close to '97 I think, and there was this Black DMC WINNER named DJ Slyce from Trenton NJ ---->>> Watchwww.youtube.com

who used a Billie Jean routine to win it...

He was one of the 1st DJ's I've EVER seen CRAB, and I went and bought the same Technics mixer, because it dawned on me that my Realistic's fader wouldnt' cut it.

I thought at THAT POINT, EVERYBODY would start Crabbing, (and MOST did), but I rarely see any Black DJ's get that technical anymore.
dj shadow from detroit 1:39 AM - 19 April, 2010
to be honest this thread is wack.....and is way out there.........

who cares about black white or orange its all about skills and passion.

this thread has no meaning and the deeper it goes the worse it gets.
CMOS 1:56 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
But I'm still pressed to know WHY we as Black DJ's don't embrace Turntablism like the NON-Blacks do?

Cuz them cats be on that crazy whiteboy shit yo.
AKIEM 2:39 AM - 19 April, 2010
why do you care WHY?
what difference does it make?
the racial lines drawn up here are figments of someone imagination.
stop that
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:51 AM - 19 April, 2010
I don't understand why people have to chime in and give negativity. If you are not feeling the post, just keep it moving and stop tracking it. It's clear some folks understood where he was coming from. And he made it clear he was not trying to come off as racial or predjudiced. The people responding were the ones making it a racial thing by their comments.

I personally don't give a fcuk. I'm just making an observation and comment that some of you will no doubt have issue with as well. LOL it's all good though.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:52 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
to be honest this thread is wack.....and is way out there.........

who cares about black white or orange its all about skills and passion.

this thread has no meaning and the deeper it goes the worse it gets.

Ok, so that's YOUR opinion. And you have a RIGHT to your opinion.

Some people understand what I'm asking, some don't.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:52 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Cuz them cats be on that crazy whiteboy shit yo.

LOL!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:53 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
why do you care WHY?
stop that
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:55 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
why do you care WHY?
stop that

Because YOU YOURSELF have asked questions on this forum of your peers...

Why can't I do the same?

It's not a WAY OUT question, I'm not saying anybody is better than anyone else, I'd simply like to know why, Turntablism isn't as hot in the Black DJ world as it is in other NON-Black worlds...

Maybe I should be asking a bunch of Black DJ's? I don't know...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:58 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
I don't understand why people have to chime in and give negativity. If you are not feeling the post, just keep it moving and stop tracking it. It's clear some folks understood where he was coming from. And he made it clear he was not trying to come off as racial or predjudiced. The people responding were the ones making it a racial thing by their comments.

I personally don't give a fcuk. I'm just making an observation and comment that some of you will no doubt have issue with as well. LOL it's all good though.

There it is.....

Some who don't understand will make jokes, and I ain't mad at them, they just don't understand...

For example, there are a FEW of you out there who are NON-BLACK who have been told that you "Sound Like a Black DJ"...

What does that mean to you?

Who would say something like that to you?

How does that make you feel?

There are so many ways to chop this up, but all you need are a few cats who "Think it's stupid", and throw a black eye (No Pun Intended) in the game.

C'mon folks...we're grown here...
AKIEM 3:30 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
why do you care WHY?
stop that

Because YOU YOURSELF have asked questions on this forum of your peers...

Why can't I do the same?

It's not a WAY OUT question, I'm not saying anybody is better than anyone else, I'd simply like to know why, Turntablism isn't as hot in the Black DJ world as it is in other NON-Black worlds...

Maybe I should be asking a bunch of Black DJ's? I don't know...

do what you will

I am asking why you care in the first place?
are you trying to make a point?
are you writing a papper?
are you trying to be controversial?

I am usually skeptical when people out of the blue try to draw up racial lines for no reason. asking people what race they are and shit like that - for what?

why are there so many non-Black turntablists?
because there are so many non-Black people.

whats the mystery?
what kind of answer are you looking for?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:53 AM - 19 April, 2010
Q - I am asking why you care in the first place?
A - Because I know MY reasons of why I haven't pursued "Advanced" scratching, but was curious as to why my Peers hadn't.

Q - are you trying to make a point?
A - No

Q - are you writing a paper?
A - No

Q- are you trying to be controversial?
A - No. Controversial would be if I said something like, "Black/White DJ's are Better
than White/Black DJ's.

Q - I am usually skeptical when people out of the blue try to draw up racial lines for no reason. asking people what race they are and shit like that - for what?
A - It is not for "no reason". What I found strange was, in my quest to learn "Advanced Scratching", I noticed that I didn't see Black DJ's "In General" who were proficient in the skill.

Q- why are there so many non-Black turntablists?
A - because there are so many non-Black people.

^^^^ I don't accept that answer. If you take 100 BLACK DJ's, and then eliminate all that CAN'T do "Advanced Scratching", that number would be SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than if you applied that same reasoning to any other ethnic background.

You are saying out of 100 DJ's (non color specific), how many are BLACK Turntablists...and that answer would obviously be low because you're including all other races.

So fine, let's say 10% of that number (10) ARE black, DJ's obviously the number of Turntablists would be MINIMAL, maybe 2....that's STILL 20%. 2 out of 10 isn't bad.

I'm saying that even if you had 100 DJs, BUT 100% of them were black, the numbers would STILL be MINIMAL...Like 5....That's 5%.

5 out of 100 IS strange to me...

Do you get what I'm saying?

Q - What kind of answer are you looking for?
A - Just opinions of my peers, (and now I'm wondering if I should just be asking Black DJ's this question), as to why they haven't gone after Advanced Scratching like our NON-Black peers.

It's just an observation that ended up being a question.
AKIEM 4:28 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Q - I am asking why you care in the first place?
A - Because I know MY reasons of why I haven't pursued "Advanced" scratching, but was curious as to why my Peers hadn't.

why not ask that in the first place?

I can tell you why I havnt developed into a turntablist (even though I could have learned from some of the best). I started before 'turntablism' and became set in my ways - new scratches are difficult because you sort of have to retrain what you have already learned - the old styles come second nature. Also I started in clubs and went into production and engineering - adding turntablism would have been too much.

Quote:

Q- are you trying to be controversial?
A - No. Controversial would be if I said something like, "Black/White DJ's are Better
than White/Black DJ's.

sure that would ALSO be controversial. But cmon you mention 'ignorant' and race in the subject. How about "sensational"?

Quote:

Q - I am usually skeptical when people out of the blue try to draw up racial lines for no reason. asking people what race they are and shit like that - for what?
A - It is not for "no reason". What I found strange was, in my quest to learn "Advanced Scratching", I noticed that I didn't see Black DJ's "In General" who were proficient in the skill.

And why does that mater?
(not saying it doesnt)

Quote:

Q- why are there so many non-Black turntablists?
A - because there are so many non-Black people.

^^^^ I don't accept that answer. If you take 100 BLACK DJ's, and then eliminate all that CAN'T do "Advanced Scratching", that number would be SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than if you applied that same reasoning to any other ethnic background.

You are saying out of 100 DJ's (non color specific), how many are BLACK Turntablists...and that answer would obviously be low because you're including all other races.

I really do not think anyone can really come up with decent numbers here that mean anything. There is no studies - are you including all genres, just Hip-Hop? Are you going by people you know, on youtube, famous? and so on.

put whatever numbers you want up there - the reason is that Black people make up 13% of the US population.

If you want to compare the percentage of Black turntablists to Black rappers where there really a diff in numbers... I have already answered that.

Quote:

So fine, let's say 10% of that number (10) ARE black, DJ's obviously the number of Turntablists would be MINIMAL, maybe 2....that's STILL 20%. 2 out of 10 isn't bad.

I'm saying that even if you had 100 DJs, BUT 100% of them were black, the numbers would STILL be MINIMAL...Like 5....That's 5%.

5 out of 100 IS strange to me...

Do you get what I'm saying?

not really doesnt mater because I'm not really disagreeing with you.

Quote:

Q - What kind of answer are you looking for?
A - Just opinions of my peers, (and now I'm wondering if I should just be asking Black DJ's this question), as to why they haven't gone after Advanced Scratching like our NON-Black peers.

right - thats why Im skeptical of why you would ask that here where race for the most part is an unknown and its obviously mixed company.
dj_craigmac 4:47 AM - 19 April, 2010
Screw It ! Now i'm gonna learn all that new turntablism stuff. At my age, color and out of my (housemusic) comfort zone
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:55 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

I can tell you why I havnt developed into a turntablist (even though I could have learned from some of the best). I started before 'turntablism' and became set in my ways - new scratches are difficult because you sort of have to retrain what you have already learned - the old styles come second nature. Also I started in clubs and went into production and engineering - adding turntablism would have been too much.

Ok, I too feel the same way, set in my ways. But that doesn't explain why the NEWER Black DJ's don't seem to be going that route.

Quote:

sure that would ALSO be controversial. But cmon you mention 'ignorant' and race in the subject. How about "sensational"?

If I didn't put it right out there on Front Street, and have us get rid of the Racial undertones upfront, and that's EXACTLY what happened, we would never have been able to move to the real question at hand....Why? Because if you don't acknowledge the Pink Elephant in the room, you might not be able to take some of the responses seriously.

Now, you can pretty tell who is contributing something worth talking about, and who isn't...Whether it be internal Racism, a general dislike for me, Ignorance, or simply talking about a sensitive, possibly explosive subject.

Quote:
And why does that mater? (not saying it doesnt)

It just seemed strange to me. No matter what, I don't think I can DO anything to change the OUTCOME, but seeing Don Q setting a bar that high made me wonder if there are other (Black) DJ's out there following in his shoes.

Someone in here said Don approaches "DJ'ing from a different perspective", and I'm very interested in that viewpoint.

Did he learn from DVD's? Who did he pattern himself after? His influences? How long did it take him to master his craft?

If it was ME AND HIM talking, I'd ask, hey how many Black DJ's do you see doing the same thing you're doing?

Quote:
I really do not think anyone can really come up with decent numbers here that mean anything. There is no studies - are you including all genres, just Hip-Hop? Are you going by people you know, on youtube, famous? and so on.

Again, I said HIPHOP Scratch DJ's in general, so no tangent there. And I'm going by people I know, on youtube, famous people, ALL BLACK HipHop DJ's in general.

Quote:
put whatever numbers you want up there - the reason is that Black people make up 13% of the US population.

That has NOTHING to do with it.

If you get 100 DJ's EACH of whites, blacks, hispanics, filipinos, and other Non-Blacks, the numbers would still be disproportionate OUT OF THE 100, (because the 100 makes everything equal), that can't do Advanced Scratches.

As a matter of fact, your theory fails as if you take your number of Blacks, say 13%, and ask the question of what percentage of the general population is, say affected with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, the number would come back that Blacks are more at risk, and thus have a higher percentage of that disease.

Based on what you say, they shouldn't outrank the other Non-Blacks in High Blood Pressure, but we know that's not true. They are MORE PRONE to get it, via hereditary, bad diet, or whatever other things may affect them. It has nothing to do with the sheer number of them.

Quote:
thats why Im skeptical of why you would ask that here where race for the most part is an unknown and its obviously mixed company.

Because, some people here who feel that they FALL into that category MAY respond.

I've recently noticed that there are more Blacks here than I initially thought, so why not ask?

If it doesn't pertain to someone, or someone doesn't have something constructive to add, then they can ignore the question....
DJDDT 5:02 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Screw It ! Now i'm gonna learn all that new turntablism stuff. At my age, color and out of my (housemusic) comfort zone

Go! Go! Go! Go!
DJ'Que 5:05 AM - 19 April, 2010
We As Blacks Dont Care For All That Fancy Scratching No More. Unless Were Djing For A Artist. ( Paid). We Can Careless For All That. We Wanna Get Paid And All That Fancy Scratching Aint Go Get Us Paid. We Know The Basic Club Scratch Will. So Were On Another Level now. You Can Ask Almost Any Black Dj The Names Of Scratches And I Bet You Will Here Transform First.
DJS/R 5:10 AM - 19 April, 2010
^Every Word Was Capitalized In That Last Post.
O.B.1 5:30 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
^Every Word Was Capitalized In That Last Post.

must've been from a phone...
Thundercat 5:49 AM - 19 April, 2010
I'm a black DJ and it wasn't until recently (in terms of my DJ career) that I felt inclined to really learn any of the new scratches and juggles and such. I spent the previous 20 years proving myself and was content to ride off of my reputation. I could still rock a party with the best of them and didn't feel like I needed to show off any more to get my point across. I didn't feel the need to research the culture and styles because I am the culture. I have my style. I've been doing this longer than most of these new kids have been alive.

If not for this forum and Stickam I'd still be doing exactly what I had been doing. One step further, if it wasn't for computers and the internet and the access to all this information I would still be doing exactly what I had been doing.

You are in IT John, add this to your equation. Computers and the ease of access to information (broadband) and the groups that have had access to this information the longest. You and I have had an advantage in being in one of the most ethnically diverse and technologically forward communities in NJ as seen here:

Piscataway Township High School
Ethnicity______________This School___State Average
Black, not Hispanic______37%___________17%
White, not Hispanic_____28%___________55%
Asian/Pacific Islander____23%____________8%
Hispanic________________13%___________19%
American Indian/Alaskan Native <1% <1%

How many kids in our classes has after school and summer jobs working for Bellcore technologies or AT&T? Think about it.

Now that I've gone off on a tangent let me bring it back. I think we take for granted that this belongs to us when it has grown beyond us. I don't think it's laziness or complacency but a sense of entitlement to a culture that we simply don't own anymore. I think gradually you will see a shift back to where the numbers will better represent the actual makeup of the society once we find ourselves losing what we assumed we would always have. For lack of a better phrase, once we are faced with that 'come to Jesus' moment in our careers. You'll either get on the bus or get left behind.
AKIEM 8:16 AM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I too feel the same way, set in my ways. But that doesn't explain why the NEWER Black DJ's don't seem to be going that route.

Sure it does, 'turntablism' split off into its own underground type area. Younger Black DJs went along with what the older Black DJs were doing 'getting over'

Quote:
Quote:

If I didn't put it right out there on Front Street, and have us get rid of the Racial undertones upfront, and that's EXACTLY what happened, we would never have been able to move to the real question at hand....Why? Because if you don't acknowledge the Pink Elephant in the room, you might not be able to take some of the responses seriously.

Now, you can pretty tell who is contributing something worth talking about, and who isn't...Whether it be internal Racism, a general dislike for me, Ignorance, or simply talking about a sensitive, possibly explosive subject.

Cmon - that banner "ignorant Black vs White" is about as sensational as you can possibly get. They only reason this didnt turn into a supreme fiasko is because people thought about what was being discussed before responding. Easily this thread could have went the way of shit from people jumping in here responding to the banner.

you could have just have easy wrote the banner "why dont I scratch" then just question could it be something to do with your background. But we know you like to 'do it big'

Im going to make my next thread "ignorance Black VS. White" and then ask the question why did I put a second SSD drive in my MacBook, it seams like Im the only Black fuckin guy to do it!"

Quote:

Quote:

That has NOTHING to do with it.

If you get 100 DJ's EACH of whites, blacks, hispanics, filipinos, and other Non-Blacks, the numbers would still be disproportionate OUT OF THE 100, (because the 100 makes everything equal), that can't do Advanced Scratches.

If the country was 90% Black, Black people would dominate in all Hip-Hop splinter offs. But because it is the reverse you are going to have splinters dominated by other groups. Its a simple matter.

Quote:

As a matter of fact, your theory fails as if you take your number of Blacks, say 13%, and ask the question of what percentage of the general population is, say affected with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, the number would come back that Blacks are more at risk, and thus have a higher percentage of that disease.

Based on what you say, they shouldn't outrank the other Non-Blacks in High Blood Pressure, but we know that's not true. They are MORE PRONE to get it, via hereditary, bad diet, or whatever other things may affect them. It has nothing to do with the sheer number of them.

huh? My blood pressure is off the fucking chart btw.

Yes, Black people are more prone to high blood pressure, nature nurture or both, I dont see the analogy.

Hip-Hop started in the Black community, it expanded from there. But if you get a group of kids in some all white enclave who become practitioners you get a subgroup that is mostly white. There is ALOT of underground hip-hop out there like that. Turntablism has kinda went along with the underground scenes.

Its not like the 13% of us are going to run out to be the leaders in each and every little scene that pops up. If we were 90% we would already be there.

Quote:

Quote:
thats why Im skeptical of why you would ask that here where race for the most part is an unknown and its obviously mixed company.

Because, some people here who feel that they FALL into that category MAY respond.

I've recently noticed that there are more Blacks here than I initially thought, so why not ask?

If it doesn't pertain to someone, or someone doesn't have something constructive to add, then they can ignore the question....

thats called plausible deniability if ever I heard it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:48 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
I'm a black DJ and it wasn't until recently (in terms of my DJ career) that I felt inclined to really learn any of the new scratches and juggles and such. I spent the previous 20 years proving myself and was content to ride off of my reputation. I could still rock a party with the best of them and didn't feel like I needed to show off any more to get my point across. I didn't feel the need to research the culture and styles because I am the culture. I have my style. I've been doing this longer than most of these new kids have been alive.

If not for this forum and Stickam I'd still be doing exactly what I had been doing. One step further, if it wasn't for computers and the internet and the access to all this information I would still be doing exactly what I had been doing.

You are in IT John, add this to your equation. Computers and the ease of access to information (broadband) and the groups that have had access to this information the longest. You and I have had an advantage in being in one of the most ethnically diverse and technologically forward communities in NJ as seen here:

Piscataway Township High School
Ethnicity______________This School___State Average
Black, not Hispanic______37%___________17%
White, not Hispanic_____28%___________55%
Asian/Pacific Islander____23%____________8%
Hispanic________________13%___________19%
American Indian/Alaskan Native <1% <1%

How many kids in our classes has after school and summer jobs working for Bellcore technologies or AT&T? Think about it.

Now that I've gone off on a tangent let me bring it back. I think we take for granted that this belongs to us when it has grown beyond us. I don't think it's laziness or complacency but a sense of entitlement to a culture that we simply don't own anymore. I think gradually you will see a shift back to where the numbers will better represent the actual makeup of the society once we find ourselves losing what we assumed we would always have. For lack of a better phrase, once we are faced with that 'come to Jesus' moment in our careers. You'll either get on the bus or get left behind.

Ahhh, this is perfect, my actual Peer (in real life too), giving a detailed breakdown.

A LOT of what you say definitely rings home. Coming from our school system, you're right, I've never felt "In the minority", but moreso equal to all that were around us.

And YES, we grew up in what I feel is the absolute best time to have become a DJ, and experienced the birth, growth, decline and death of hiphop in all stages.

And YES, I didn't REALLY care about "Advanced Scratching" until I got here, and saw that people, who I considered my DJ peers across the world were learning it easily.

However, I think I was forcing myself to think that they were "Cheating" because most learned via the Internet and Qbert's infamous DVD.

I was always against those types of shortcuts, because it didn't teach you "the history" so to speak.

That, for a long time, gave me the excuse to NOT learn it.

Also, not to be Big Headed or anything, but I didn't physically SEE any LOCAL DJ's who were, for lack of a better term, "Better" than me, so on the MONEY TIP, there was no competition, thus no reason to advance.

I held down Rutgers from 1993 until 2004. I was 26 in 1993, beating out ALL upcoming "Talent", whereas, I should have been "weeded" out by 1990, the LATEST.

I was simply the best, with no competition, thus no motivation to improve.

I have definitely felt the "Jesus" moment, and have decided to get on the bus.

Thus my acquisition of Serato.

Now you, Deez, Smizz (who is WICKED ON those CD's), I combine into 1 (no homo), and use that equation as my "Benchmark".

And that's where I am today.

Great thought provoking post man!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:20 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

Sure it does, 'turntablism' split off into its own underground type area. Younger Black DJs went along with what the older Black DJs were doing 'getting over'

I'm inclined to believe that statement, as it goes along with Graffiti and B-Boying.

Quote:
Cmon - that banner "ignorant Black vs White" is about as sensational as you can possibly get. They only reason this didnt turn into a supreme fiasko is because people thought about what was being discussed before responding. Easily this thread could have went the way of shit from people jumping in here responding to the banner.

Now you see WHY I labeled it the way I did. MOST PEOPLE DECIDED TO THINK BEFORE RESPONDING, which was my intent. Of course there were others who wanted to clown, or start a race riot, or who just got HEATED, but that was ok, because the Topic IS Valid.

It's like if I had a bunch of Black HIPHOP SCRATCH DJ's friends, sitting in the Barbershop, and I said, "Man, why don't you guys know how to Crab and do all that Q-Bert shit?"

The problem is that MOST my Black DJ friends have either gotten away from scratching, DJ'ing with vinyl, DJ'ing altogether, or were never that "Good" in the 1st place.

My only peer out here is Thundercat.

Quote:
you could have just have easy wrote the banner "why dont I scratch" then just question could it be something to do with your background.

This is true....

Quote:
But we know you like to 'do it big'

Exactly, I wanted EVERYONE to see this thread. They might not have contributed to it, but they definitely read it.

Quote:

Im going to make my next thread "ignorance Black VS. White" and then ask the question why did I put a second SSD drive in my MacBook, it seams like Im the only Black fuckin guy to do it!"

lol, you can't jock my style.

Quote:
If the country was 90% Black, Black people would dominate in all Hip-Hop splinter offs. But because it is the reverse you are going to have splinters dominated by other groups. Its a simple matter.

Again, you're talking about the entire pie being made up of ALL colors.

I'm using the example of a 100% black audience of DJ's. Now color is taken out of the equation.

Quote:

huh? My blood pressure is off the fucking chart btw.

Yes, Black people are more prone to high blood pressure, nature nurture or both, I dont see the analogy.

I was saying that a DISPROPORTIONATE amount of black people have HIGH Blood pressure, so the numbers are hight.

Your analogy would mean of the total number of black people (think Black HipHop DJ's) who have High Blood Pressure (think - know how to do "Advanced Scratching") should be proportional to the total number of Black people IN GENERAL (Think your 12-13%), when we KNOW that number of High Blood pressure is astronomical.

Quote:
Hip-Hop started in the Black community, it expanded from there. But if you get a group of kids in some all white enclave who become practitioners you get a subgroup that is mostly white.

But you're missing the point. I'm NOT including other races in my observation. The targeted group is just Black HipHop DJ's, and why the percentage of Turntablists is so low.

Quote:
Turntablism has kinda went along with the underground scenes.

I tend to agree with that answer the most.

Quote:
Its not like the 13% of us are going to run out to be the leaders in each and every little scene that pops up. If we were 90% we would already be there.

I'm not saying for us to be DOMINANT. I'm not saying we NEED to OUTNUMBER the other races, I'm saying, how come we have a low number in the 1st place, out of a selection of, say 100 Black HipHop DJ's.

Good Lookin' on your thoughts though....

That's all I'm looking for, just answers to the question posed....
howcome 2:29 PM - 19 April, 2010
Richie Rich (3rd Base), DJ Scratch (EPMD) were both sick dj's on the East Coast. Joe Cooley, MWALK (Tone Loc, Pharcyde) were both sick djs on the West Coast. I used to buy their albums just to hear the scratching on them. These guys were pushing the art. But in the 90's I started hearing less and less scratching on rap songs and I think that is what started blacks to be ambivalent towards scratching. Black folks are tied to rap and with no scratching on the songs people started to not care if it was there. At the same time you had other races in America who were fascinated with djing and were soon picking up where rap had left off. Rap became popular without scratching and so scratchers had to become popular without rap. There is an interview with QBERT where he talks about this subject.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:32 PM - 19 April, 2010
^^^^See? I KNEW I wasn't crazy....

Thank you sir.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:42 PM - 19 April, 2010
And I'm wondering IF I would have missed out on that enlightening information IF I only would have directed my question to "Black" DJ's, vs. everyone on the board...
AKIEM 4:52 PM - 19 April, 2010
its called trolling
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:24 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
its called trolling

Negative. I put a question out there, and most people responded with plausible answers.

Even YOU.
AKIEM 5:34 PM - 19 April, 2010
silly - you knew ahead of time that the thread would not get out of control with such a crazy banner?

If you know so much - how come you dont already know the answer to your little personal question about yourself?

If the thread would have gone out of control you would just claim to be innocent.

you are trolling here - simple plain
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:38 PM - 19 April, 2010
silly - you knew ahead of time that the thread would not get out of control with such a crazy banner?

Yes.

And nobody knows EVERYTHING, thus my reason for asking the question.

The thread only would have gone "Out of control" only if people didn't understand the question I was asking.

Simple Plain.

And you may not "Approve" of my methods, but so what?

You gave good info, and that's what I needed.

Thanks!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:39 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

If you know so much - how come you dont already know the answer to your little personal question about yourself?

If the thread would have gone out of control you would just claim to be innocent.

you are trolling here - simple plain

+1 and i for one am in total disbelief that the thread didnt go barreling off course....who woulda thought this would have acutualy produced adult inteligent responces when threads about macs, ableton, software updates and cookies all cause near riots.......interesting
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:39 PM - 19 April, 2010
Oh, and I like your attempt to NOW bring the thread "Out Of Control".

C'mon man, folks is GROWN.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:40 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

+1 and i for one am in total disbelief that the thread didnt go barreling off course....who woulda thought this would have acutualy produced adult inteligent responces when threads about macs, ableton, software updates and cookies all cause near riots.......interesting

Now you understand why I structured the Subject the way I did. People had to THINK before they typed.
AKIEM 5:45 PM - 19 April, 2010
please - every knew where this thread probably would have went - excepte for you?

I call a spade a spade - and a troll (at least a half troll) a troll.

I am not trying to run this thread out of control, just making an observation after getting all the info.
AKIEM 5:46 PM - 19 April, 2010
and not everyone here is grown - thats why you should drop banners with such crazy trolling headlines - you know the deal (jmo) of course
AKIEM 5:47 PM - 19 April, 2010
not^
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:55 PM - 19 April, 2010
i think black djs dj the way they do because all the watermellon and chicken grease on their hands make for smoother record movments where as asian djs use fader cuts becauses their used to using chopsticks to eat their rice.....asian djs scratch better because the record movments are similar to turning a performance modded honda steering wheel and shifting with a rice burner short shifter and black djs stick with record movments using the same muscles they use to bounce basketballs. Asians also have more time to practice since they dont spend as much of their time in jail or taking care of their illigitmate kids. White djs on the other hand are able to afford nicer equipment which makes it easier or their able to trick talented people into doin the work and taking all the credit and profit for it (ever seen a jewish scratch dj). Also there are no good white djs in the first place since they have no natural rythem, its all an illusion created by the man to keep the naturally better ethnic djs in their place and away from the REAL music of rock and country and push ethnic djs to get better since all the white people are the ones making money off their albums and shows anyway

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN
BLACK POWER
FREE TIBET
PEACE TO APARTIDE
SAY NO TO BLOOD DIAMONDS

I just hate seeing johnny put in so much work and not get the posts he was expectin...merry christmas!!
Henry GQ 6:06 PM - 19 April, 2010
wow.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:08 PM - 19 April, 2010
lol now mabye the thread will go the way johhny intended......buckle your seat belts cause HERE.........WE.............GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBTL
O.B.1 6:35 PM - 19 April, 2010
Hilarious Bezzle!

You aren't afraid to say out loud what everyone else is thinking...
Henry GQ 6:53 PM - 19 April, 2010
whos everyone? speak for urself..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:54 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

I am not trying to run this thread out of control, just making an observation after getting all the info.

But I do thank you, as a matter of fact, you responded THE MOST in this thread, and I wanted intelligent answers.

Good Looking!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:56 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
and not everyone here is grown - thats why you should drop banners with such crazy trolling headlines - you know the deal (jmo) of course

Man look....

I can TRICK people into coming INTO the thread, but I can't TRICK them into responding....

You feel me?

That's not trolling, that called Defensive Posting....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:58 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

I just hate seeing johnny put in so much work and not get the posts he was expectin...merry christmas!!

You forgot to mention that my penis is bigger than yours, but that's OK.

Hey, do what you want with this thread, there were some real meaningful answers, and that's what I was in search of.

Good Lookin!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Hilarious Bezzle!

You aren't afraid to say out loud what everyone else is thinking...

Really? Bezzle is a spokesman for the rest of the board?
a DJ 7:10 PM - 19 April, 2010
I don't know why you're trippin so much off race, if that's what you seem to notice then fine. But either way I agree that some DJs are stuck on the same scratches and don't bother to learn new ones. At the same time the DJs that learn all the advanced scratches and stuff could learn to put more thought into phrasing & creating interesting rhythms. I know I try to force myself to only use simple scratches and come up with interesting phrasing instead of just trying to scratch as fast as possible.
DJ ST 7:16 PM - 19 April, 2010
Johnny, I can glanced through this thread,
and I can see the underlying logic in your argument.

BUT

Shouldn't you make this observation on:
- DJs background (where they live, who influenced them)
- How long they've been DJing (guys with looong careers might have more traditional scratches, regardless of race)
- What is their style of DJing? Quick-mixing? Longer and smoother transitions?
- Do they have a NEED to flex their skills?

AND STILL

The first post is pretty ignorant, borderlining racist.

All races/colors have pretty sick turntablists, who can slice 'n' dice like a sushi chef on meth. Like someone said, on the East Coast dudes are more into funky transforming and in the West they cut fast. And Europe is on that technical electro-tip.

Personally, I don't care if a person is purple with neon hair,
if they're an ass or a douchebag, it is very rarely in correlation with the hue of their skin.

D'UH!
sixxx 7:21 PM - 19 April, 2010
I think Johnny just called AKIEM 'good looking!'
AKIEM 7:32 PM - 19 April, 2010
Actually his gay remark was towards Bezzle. If he was talking to me - thats fine, Im not homophobic anymore. if you are latent - thats fine too. look but dont touch. (ok dont look ether) but you know.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:34 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Actually his gay remark was towards Bezzle. If he was talking to me - thats fine, Im not homophobic anymore. if you are latent - thats fine too. look but dont touch. (ok dont look ether) but you know.

nah wasnt me cause he said the first post...my post was FAR from first
AKIEM 7:39 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

That's not trolling, that called Defensive Posting....

Defensive? if anything that is 'offensive'
You start the thread with a crazy -offensive- banner, then say some boarder line shit. Make up an excuse about 'pink elephants', then change it to attracting more positive comments. And all for your little personal introspection?

you fake ignorance (but not too well) or is the other way around

its still called trolling (trolling for positive input - lol yeah right)
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

nah wasnt me cause he said the first post...my post was FAR from first

wait a second, he is man flirting with both of us - wtf yo!?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:44 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

You forgot to mention that my penis is bigger than yours, but that's OK.

which would once again explain the scratch difference,longer range of motion on the record than the short twiddling of the fader....NICE CALL JOHNNY
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:55 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

You start the thread with a crazy -offensive- banner, then say some boarder line shit. Make up an excuse about 'pink elephants', then change it to attracting more positive comments. And all for your little personal introspection?

Like I said, I can "Trick" you into LOOKING into the thread...

But I can't "Trick" you into responding.....

You seem mad that you've responded....
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:56 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

which in itself is goading him to respond again...well played sir ....nice "Trick"
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:58 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Johnny, I can glanced through this thread,
and I can see the underlying logic in your argument.

BUT

Shouldn't you make this observation on:
- DJs background (where they live, who influenced them)
- How long they've been DJing (guys with looong careers might have more traditional scratches, regardless of race)
- What is their style of DJing? Quick-mixing? Longer and smoother transitions?
- Do they have a NEED to flex their skills?

All those were taken into account, FOR MYSELF, but I wanted to find out about OTHER DJ's (Black) in my position.

Quote:

AND STILL

The first post is pretty ignorant, borderlining racist.

Ok, I'll bite...

EXACTLY what part is "Ignorant, borderling racist", ?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:59 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

which in itself is goading him to respond again...well played sir ....nice "Trick"

I mean, at this point, he wants to make it about the "Method" I used to solicit the answers I recieved...which is a separate issue from the meaning of this thread altogether.
Henry GQ 8:00 PM - 19 April, 2010
i think johnny started this thread to stimulate himself. bascially its for his own entertainment purposes.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:01 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
i think johnny started this thread to stimulate himself. bascially its for his own entertainment purposes.....

Farthest from the truth, as YOU YOURSELF responded in a reasonable manner...
Henry GQ 8:03 PM - 19 April, 2010
i have. but i do think ur a pretty intelligent cat. u seem to have been around the block.
AKIEM 8:05 PM - 19 April, 2010
exactly - you think people are mad that you tricked us into responding with decent shit to say.

this part is where we get to the delusion.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:05 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
i have. but i do think ur a pretty intelligent cat. u seem to have been around the block.

And I TOO have gained that respect for you too...so, it's all good.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:07 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
exactly - you think people are mad that you tricked us into responding with decent shit to say.

No. YOU seem to be the only one perturbed....

Everybody else just answered and kept it moving....

As a matter of fact, some are still wondering why it went so well...

Let's just say, I'm a people person.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:10 PM - 19 April, 2010
I eat watermelon when I scratch and it sounds horrible

But the white guy eats pierogies when he scratches and it sounds awesome.

I think it's the fcuking seeds man.They get stuck on the control vinyl.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:13 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

nah its from all the twigs and berry juice the black dudes put in their hair drippin on the control records, thats why asian dudes learn that wax on wax off shit, to keep the records clean and control record movment
AKIEM 8:13 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

why do you think I am mad?

I knew exactly what the deal was going in - I wasnt 'tricked' - I am just calling you out for your drama antics. You know as well as I do that you could have gotten just as many positive responses without the drama.

lets just say you are wondering why it went so well as well
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:14 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I knew exactly what the deal was going in - I wasnt 'tricked' -

ya it aint trickin if ya got it
AKIEM 8:15 PM - 19 April, 2010
Maybe it has something to do with Johnnys curl he still sports
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:16 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

nah its from all the twigs and berry juice the black dudes put in their hair drippin on the control records, thats why asian dudes learn that wax on wax off shit, to keep the records clean and control record movment

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with Johnnys curl he still sports

follow tha drip just follow tha drip
sixxx 8:22 PM - 19 April, 2010
I also agree in believing that Johnny started this thread for his own amusement.

He said it himself. If he REALLY wanted to have his main question asked, he would've asked his peers directly.

The proof was in the pudding..... posting about Q-Bet being white. lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:48 PM - 19 April, 2010
Then I guess he succeeded cuz you all fell for it punchline.
CMOS 9:23 PM - 19 April, 2010
Yall have all been fooled again. This whole thread has nothing to do with black or white. Hes trying to convince himself that hes not a herb if he buys the Q-Bert DVDs.
Nicky Blunt 9:57 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Yall have all been fooled again. This whole thread has nothing to do with black or white. Hes trying to convince himself that hes not a herb if he buys the Q-Bert DVDs.

hahahaha

man up johnny!!! Go Buy the damn dvd, ps just to really piss u off, theres a part 2 too.
sixxx 9:59 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

lol
O.B.1 10:04 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
follow tha drip just follow tha drip

LOL @ House Party reference...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:45 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

Dammit CMOS, that talk was just between me and you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:

I knew exactly what the deal was going in - I wasnt 'tricked' - I am just calling you out for your drama antics. You know as well as I do that you could have gotten just as many positive responses without the drama.

I know EXACTLY why it went so well. I structured it that way.

I explained UP FRONT, what MY thoughts were.

At no point did I put anybody down, and when people didn't see that the 1st time, I reiterated it...

You guys should learn to expect NO DRAMA from me.

I said that on my "Return" to the board...nothing has changed...

But you still don't believe that Akiem.

I have no hidden agenda.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:50 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
I also agree in believing that Johnny started this thread for his own amusement.

He said it himself. If he REALLY wanted to have his main question asked, he would've asked his peers directly.

No, the point was that Q-Bert is NON-Black, which is still relevant to what I was saying.

Hell Sixxx, even YOU made a great post...

This thread should go down history.

Nothing to see here, folks...sorry for the disappointment.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:50 PM - 19 April, 2010
Quote:
Then I guess he succeeded cuz you all fell for it punchline.

Man, they give me too much credit...

So, hey, I'll take it.
sixxx 12:12 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

No, the point was that Q-Bert is NON-Black, which is still relevant to what I was saying.

Hell Sixxx, even YOU made a great post...

This thread should go down history.

Nothing to see here, folks...sorry for the disappointment.

I made a great post because it had to be made. That should've been the end of the thread in my opinion. :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:51 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
That should've been the end of the thread in my opinion. :)

Your humbleness is without reproach.
sixxx 1:12 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Your humbleness is without a roach.

Are you saying that because I'm Mexican, roaches should be a must?

You're racist. :P
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:06 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't even know you were Mexican....
Mike_P 3:01 AM - 20 April, 2010
everybody knows filipinos run this shit. :p
pdidy 8:03 AM - 20 April, 2010
Im a black dj from Brooklyn an ive been spinning for 25yrs. i also noticed that the new tech style of djing never was a big deal here. i personally no at least 40 black djs from the nyc area ranging in age from 18 to 40+ an none of them new style scratch, not even the new young djs. it seem to be merely a novelty to us. an the young people i play for certainly could care less if i can scratch like q bert. i personally love an practice the new style from time to time but i only do it for me. its like a fad that just never caught on here. so DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 i get your point because it hit home for me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:23 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Im a black dj from Brooklyn an ive been spinning for 25yrs. i also noticed that the new tech style of djing never was a big deal here. i personally no at least 40 black djs from the nyc area ranging in age from 18 to 40+ an none of them new style scratch, not even the new young djs. it seem to be merely a novelty to us. an the young people i play for certainly could care less if i can scratch like q bert. i personally love an practice the new style from time to time but i only do it for me. its like a fad that just never caught on here. so DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 i get your point because it hit home for me.

Ahhh, Brooklyn's in da house!

You know 40+ black DJ's huh? That's hotness right there by itself...

So you see what I'm saying then....

BTW: I also see you got the Sonic Folded horn joints too!

I've got the Sonic W-Bins loaded with RCFs, Cerwin Earthquakes Loaded with JBL 2241's and Sonic Mid Cabinets (that they don't make anymore), with JBL (or EV) Mids I do believe.

Good Lookin' on contributin' to the thread!

Peace!
AKIEM 8:37 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I know EXACTLY why it went so well. I structured it that way.

I explained UP FRONT, what MY thoughts were.

At no point did I put anybody down, and when people didn't see that the 1st time, I reiterated it...

You guys should learn to expect NO DRAMA from me.

I said that on my "Return" to the board...nothing has changed...

But you still don't believe that Akiem.

I have no hidden agenda.

its the ignorant sensational dramatic headline my friend
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:17 AM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:

its the ignorant sensational dramatic headline my friend

Well, I'm sorry that you don't like the way I post....

But it is what it is....call it what you will.
dj_JM 5:11 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:

quote]Just quoting Johnny.

+1
sixxx 5:35 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Damn. I guess it's fair. I mean, I never knew you were homosexual.

You learn something new everyday.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:22 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Damn. I guess it's fair. I mean, I never knew you were homosexual.

You learn something new everyday.

Me Homosexual?

I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but NO...

I WON'T be in that rainbow Parade with you ...

I'm all for being cool....but NOT THAT COOL with you....

My apologies man...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:24 PM - 20 April, 2010
i say we put it to a vote
sixxx 8:57 PM - 20 April, 2010
Bezzle... make a thread bout it. lol
2:31 AM, 21 Apr 2010
Discussion locked by ChrisD
Serato, Support
ChrisD 2:32 AM - 21 April, 2010
Meh. I really can't be bothered reading any more abuse reports about this thread.

I get it - you're all having a laugh. Fair enough. But let's move on before things turn nasty.