DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

laptop stand review

DJ Reaction 10:12 AM - 6 December, 2006
anyone been to GC lately and seen that new Oydessy Laptop stand that comes with the record bad? looks pretty solid, it clamps onto the back of your table and sits above your mixer (if desired) and has adjustable heights to it, anyone got it? if so feedback would be superb
DaltonSR20 11:42 AM - 6 December, 2006
I haven't seen the one at Guitar Center but I hear its the Odyssey L STAND with bag called the "D-Pac" and I think it sells for $99. I have both the L Stand and HiRise from Serato. This is my comparison between the two..

HiRise
Pros: Its light, fits perfectly in whatever you carry your 12" vinyls, assembles very easy, and has a red option if it fits your equipment color scheme.

Cons: Its less sturdy because of the lighter material its made of, the feet are not fully flat to allow you to slip it under a flight case to be anchored.

L-Stand
Pros: It is cheaper than the Serato HiRise, has multiple configuration to clamp mounts on horizontal or vertical surfaces, flat feet that does allow anchoring, addition extendable pieces that increases width of stand to accomidate wider 15-17" laptops, feels more sturdy and stable, highest setting is a little taller than HiRise.

Cons: It is alot heavier than HiRise, the package it comes in will not fit in your vinyl cases, longer assemble time (would have to travel with a phillips screwdriver or pocket tool) or have your feet configuration already setup before hand (but then it won't fit in the package it came in)

But like I said, I haven't seen the D-Pac version on how everything is packed/fit or the size of the bag it comes with. My vote goes to the L Stand.
DJ GaFFle 1:26 PM - 6 December, 2006
What ^^he^^ said...
grrillatactics 2:13 PM - 6 December, 2006
I just received the Litlab Uberstand yesterday, and so far, I think this is a good option. It is made of sturdy aluminum, fits in its own bag, which will fit easily into a record bag or crate. It has a shelf (adjustable height - 3 settings) that you can place the SL1 on (has velcro strips to hold SL1 in place, as well as enough velcro to also put a few strips on the bottom of your laptop to make it even more secure on the stand).

Pros: Fits into record bag, good construction, sturdy feel, shelf for SL1, several colors available, ships quickly and good customer service.

Cons: A little pricey, laptop stand itself is not height adjustable and keyboard is parallel to surface (it would be nice if you could angle it down just a hair for a more ergonomic feel when using the keyboard for anything).

Overall: I think this stand is a good investment, and I like it. I have not yet had a chance to use it outside of my home set-up, but I think it is designed well for use in a DJ booth.
Gamble 6:30 PM - 6 December, 2006
Do any of these stands fit a laptop fan as well as the laptop? I always use a fan when i'm djing...

Gamble
DJ Reaction 8:27 PM - 6 December, 2006
the oydessy L stand yup thats the one! I just want it for home use cuz the clubs I play at usually have stands already, or I have my icurve!
DjSummit 3:08 AM - 21 December, 2006
i bought the litlab stand... unfortunatly i couldn't use it because it did not support the weight of my 15" powerbook. I sold it with my 12" powerbook to a friend of mine who is just starting to use serato.. It works perfectly with the 12"..
djaction 3:19 AM - 21 December, 2006
Odyssey L-Stand is GREAT but the metal is SOOO damn flimsy. If you cough it'll bend.
grrillatactics 3:26 AM - 21 December, 2006
Quote:
unfortunatly i couldn't use it because it did not support the weight of my 15" powerbook.

I am having no problems at all using this stand with my 15" powerbook.
Dj Ryme 3:29 AM - 21 December, 2006
I've been happy wit my L-Stand. I dont think the metal is that flimsy though, you would have to use a bit of force in order to bend it IMO. Either way its mos def better than the hi-rise again IMO.
sG 3:32 AM - 21 December, 2006
I use a kitchen stand from Target. $7. Aweeesome.
Dustin Fields 3:57 AM - 21 December, 2006
hey SG, link please!!
vestax_75 4:12 AM - 21 December, 2006
I actually went to GC this past weekend, they had the D-Pac on sale for $69.99 so I scooped one up. The L Stand is fairly easy to put together. I tried using it with its "feet" and sliding it behind my mixer, but it hung too low over the mixer itself. If I made it taller, the weight of the laptop (and I have a newer laptop, not an old dinosaur) would cause it to lean down farther over the mixer no matter how tight I would adjust it.

I decided to use it with its included clamps and clamped it to the back of my case/coffin and it ended up being at a really good height above my mixer and EFX500. No problems with it in that configuration.

The bag that comes with it is really good...tons of pockets to put control vinyl and accessories. The tag on the bag actually reads "Serato DJ Travel Bag"
Dj Ryme 4:21 AM - 21 December, 2006
The L stand works fine under the mixer if its flat on a regular table, plenty of space, but when you try to put it between your anvil cases thats when it hangs pretty low and you have a hard time getting to all the gain, bass, treble, etc. controls.
Dj KaGeN 5:39 AM - 21 December, 2006
^^ I just found that out the hard way - looks like I'll be clamping the laptop off the the left so I can get to all the EQ's on the mixer.
DJ F Sharp 6:19 AM - 21 December, 2006
My Oddissey L stand bent and broke in 1/2 yesterday in my car. IS there a warranty for this shit?
Dj KaGeN 2:32 AM - 22 December, 2006
I'm going to back the L stand from here on out.. best construction - sturdy and adaptable. For on top a desk or clamped on to a Odyssey coffin or case.
Audio1 3:10 AM - 22 December, 2006
Time to invest in a laptop stand. Ive been using a PONY shoe box to hold the laptop in front of the turns at home. hahah. There, I said it.
Dj KaGeN 3:45 AM - 22 December, 2006
thank you for your confession, anyone else?
DJ.ReFRESH 3:52 AM - 22 December, 2006
thanks for the review. i think i'll pick up the L-stand before my NYE gig
ral 4:08 AM - 22 December, 2006
still happy with my pizza stand (collapsible)!

$9 at bed bath & beyond!

www.bedbathandbeyond.com
dj shadow from detroit 1:41 AM - 23 December, 2006
office max has on for $25 (it's adjustable)
That Guy 1 12:14 PM - 24 December, 2006
Quote:
still happy with my pizza stand (collapsible)!

$9 at bed bath & beyond!

www.bedbathandbeyond.com

Shoot, that'll work!
ral 7:51 PM - 24 December, 2006
lol! dont forget the anti slip!