DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The Perfect Bag for SSL, laptop + etc!

RiceCube 3:36 AM - 3 February, 2005
store.globaltravelgear.com

This is the bag that I bought several years ago and I managed to find the link. I got it when I used Final Scratch in my former life. It works Perfectly with SSL and I can't stress that enough. Note the dimensions of the bag: 12.5" x 13.5" x 6.5"

It fits my laptop that's about 12" wide (14.1" screen) in a padded compartment that's separated from the other half where I carry about 14 records (can probably fit up to 20). The records fit perfectly since the bag is 12.5" by 13.5". There's two pouches on the side where I store my RCA cables, SSL power cord and a USB mouse. Under the front cover there's a large compartment where I keep the SSL box and headphones. It fits everything really well. I also carry two small screwdrivers, scissors, stickers, 2 pens, a notepad, business cards, SSL control CDs and some condoms... (just kidding about that last one).

The best part about this bag is that it only costs $29.95! Can't beat the value for the price. I highly doubt you can find anything that works better for the same price. I'm pretty sure that you can fit a 15" (screen) laptop but I don't think it'll fit 16.1" laptops. I also have a 16.1" Sony Vaio and it doesn't fit comfortably in the laptop compartment. If anybody gets one, let me know how you like it. I absolutely LOVE my bag.
JD 3:50 AM - 3 February, 2005
NICE!!! 20 records and laptop? Thats perfect!!

Would the iBreeze fan fit in the laptop compartment as well? Its the size of the laptop and about 3 times its thickness...
RiceCube 3:59 AM - 3 February, 2005
If it's three times as thick, I would stick it in the record holding compartment. The laptop area is specifically made to hold and pad one laptop so I don't think there's enough space. Plus you wouldn't want your computer banging into something solid. You can definitely fit it into the record holding area though.

When I DJ at clubs/lounges in Manhattan, I put this over my shoulders, take the subway to the venue and I'm ready to go. No need to bring 5 people with me to carry records like the other DJ's that I see. Hah hah hah, poor fools!
Revolutionary 4:14 AM - 3 February, 2005
LOL. That's like the 3rd thread on bags in a couple of days.
JD 4:53 AM - 3 February, 2005
Quote:
If it's three times as thick, I would stick it in the record holding compartment. The laptop area is specifically made to hold and pad one laptop so I don't think there's enough space. Plus you wouldn't want your computer banging into something solid. You can definitely fit it into the record holding area though.

When I DJ at clubs/lounges in Manhattan, I put this over my shoulders, take the subway to the venue and I'm ready to go. No need to bring 5 people with me to carry records like the other DJ's that I see. Hah hah hah, poor fools!

Nice... Im in NYC as well...

I remember the days when friends would call me before a gig and "call a crate" so they can gain free admission by carrying one in... those days are long gone...
JD 5:03 AM - 3 February, 2005
(obviously I couldve just given their name at the door but why tell them that?....lol)
djgrial 8:45 AM - 3 February, 2005
Oh! that one looks good and good price, too late I just got my UDG bag
kage 8:52 AM - 3 February, 2005
How do you like the UDG Bag, Grial?
djgrial 10:10 AM - 3 February, 2005
I am waiting for it... I'll tell you later I found a few ones brand new on ebay fpr 80 bucks
DJ Silk 4:16 PM - 3 February, 2005
Thanks Ricecube,
I just ordered the bag. I was looking at the UDG bag, but in the end I couldn't justify spending the extra money at this time for it.
sunnylicious 2:46 AM - 4 February, 2005
Quote:
(obviously I couldve just given their name at the door but why tell them that?....lol)

bastid!
RiceCube 7:43 AM - 4 February, 2005
Fo sho DJ Silk. I just wish I had posted that bag earlier so some of these other dudes could have saved some money. Let me know how you like it. Works great for me =]
RiceCube 7:45 AM - 4 February, 2005
You're going to be surprised at how perfectly it works as an SSL bag. The item description only states it as being a laptop case but after reading the dimensions of the bag, I thought it could work. I bought it and to my fortunate surprise, it fit my vinyl even better than I was hoping it to.
DJ Silk 3:53 PM - 4 February, 2005
That's cool man....I really appreciate it. I'm tired of spending huge amounts of money for bags and cases. I know that it's important to get bags that protect your gear but DAMN!!!!!
The bag looks great, and I can't wait to get it.

I'm not going to front though...I was seriously trying to make a move on a UDG bag, but then I realized that it didn't make sense.

Good looking out man!
theBrooke 2:29 AM - 5 February, 2005
This one makes sense...

store.yahoo.com

Got that one.. I will let you all know how it goes.
bartaug 11:30 AM - 5 February, 2005
The store calls it a FS bag :(
You'll need to put some SSL stickers on it!
djspecialk 9:19 PM - 7 February, 2005
any ideas for a bag that holds a 17".
RiceCube 11:48 PM - 7 February, 2005
You're probably going to have to put it in a separate bag. A 17" laptop is way longer than a 12" record so it wouldn't make sense you have something that fits both...unless the laptop goes in sideways...but I doubt that there are any bags that will hold vinyl and a 17" laptop.
dj_ricochet 9:57 PM - 8 February, 2005
That bag looks brilliant but they won't ship outside the US :(
djgrial 9:28 PM - 9 February, 2005
Dont buy UDG bag it doesn't work, cant fit my 15" laptop in the front and can't fit my sony mvr700 headphones on side bags!!!
dj_ricochet 11:15 PM - 9 February, 2005
thanks for the tip - i was considering one of those instead. back to the drawing board *sigh*
DJ BLEND 6:20 PM - 10 February, 2005
this one works perfectly for me! a little pricey but perfect.
jambags.com
Revolutionary 8:55 PM - 10 February, 2005
Looks nice, Blend.
djgrial 12:43 AM - 11 February, 2005
how many records can you have in that one? do you have space for headphones and RCA's ?
DJ BLEND 6:04 PM - 11 February, 2005
space for everything!! it really is perfect, and i've turned other serato djs onto it too.
JD 6:37 PM - 11 February, 2005
Quote:
You're probably going to have to put it in a separate bag. A 17" laptop is way longer than a 12" record so it wouldn't make sense you have something that fits both...unless the laptop goes in sideways...but I doubt that there are any bags that will hold vinyl and a 17" laptop.

I just got the bag in yesterday... good bag but its a lil tight fit... ill throw everything in today to see how it holds up...

Dj Blends MacPack looks a bit roomier..
JD 6:47 PM - 11 February, 2005
Quote:
space for everything!! it really is perfect, and i've turned other serato djs onto it too.

It fits bulky headphones, 20 records and all your wires?
DJ BLEND 7:15 PM - 11 February, 2005
20 records??? why would you need that?? i just bring a few serato records, laptop, serato box, headphones, cartridges, iPod, wires and that about it. what do you need more records for? burn that shit to your hard drive!
Detroitbootybass 7:23 PM - 11 February, 2005
I always carry 20 - 30 records myself...

Blend:
What would you do if you laptop suddenly stopped working? Computers are known to have issues from time to time.
JD 7:39 PM - 11 February, 2005
Quote:
20 records??? why would you need that?? i just bring a few serato records, laptop, serato box, headphones, cartridges, iPod, wires and that about it. what do you need more records for? burn that shit to your hard drive!

Yup- I still gotta burn those damn AV8 party records to my harddrive... but I also use some records in case I gotta switch with another ssl dj... I'll just start burning cds and carry those instead...

How many records do u think would fit? Or do u use that compartment for the SSL box?...
DJ BLEND 7:44 PM - 11 February, 2005
Detroit - to be quite honest...i have no f*ckin clue!! Maybe you're right, maybe i should carry some more.

JD - i think you could easily fit like 7 or so records. When I get home i'll check and re-post.
skinnyguy 10:36 PM - 11 February, 2005
i got an alienware XL backpack for my 17" lappy. it can hold my laptop and about 15 records AND extra peripherals.

if you don't want the alienware brand, you can check out www.mobileedge.com but i'm not sure on how to find the XL size on there...it's basically the same bag without the alienware brand. i think the link is only for the smaller version so maybe you might have to go thru alienware anyways..

my next choice was gonna be a targus www.targus.com but they were out at the time....and i got a discount on my bag anyways because i'm a returning customer so it came out cheaper than the targus
rgatsby 3:19 AM - 12 February, 2005
Don't know if you've seen these before, but AGI is offering a free gigskinz bag with the purchase of SSL (which it is offering for $499 w/free shipping). I have been price shopping and AGI's deal seems like the best one around, hands down. Have any of you had any experience with AGI?

agiprodj.blogspot.com

www.gigskinz.com
skinnyguy 12:26 PM - 12 February, 2005
i got my ssl from agiprodj. great customer service, unbelievable pricing, AND authorized dealers.

i've also bought other gear from them as well. they're one of my favorite companies to order gear from.

www.agiprodj.com for most of my gear. for stuff they don't carry (like speakers and amps and lighting, etc..) i go to www.entsyscorp.com
djspecialk 9:39 PM - 12 February, 2005
www.kensington.com
i just picked up this bag...holds my 17" laptop, all my ssl gear, needles, about 10 extra records, all my laptop extras (wireless mouse, battery) and theres still a LOT more space. check out the product tour.
djspecialk 9:39 PM - 12 February, 2005
www.kensington.com
i just picked up this bag...holds my 17" laptop, all my ssl gear, needles, about 10 extra records, all my laptop extras (wireless mouse, battery) and theres still a LOT more space. check out the product tour.