DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Where do you see yourself as a DJ in 10 years

DjLouSince82 4:54 PM - 18 March, 2010
Just curious..thanks
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:00 PM - 18 March, 2010
still bitching about not getting gigs and all the kids with their auto-syn serato
DjLouSince82 5:04 PM - 18 March, 2010
huh?
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:05 PM - 18 March, 2010
in 10 years serato will have autosync, most DJing will be automatic and ill be botching about all the kids stealing my gigs with the new technology
DjLouSince82 5:05 PM - 18 March, 2010
i give a rats ass about not getting gigs , i had tons of gigs and djd clubs in my days fella..this is just a simple question..i support all djs of all ages..why you so immature?
djdannyd 5:05 PM - 18 March, 2010
I see myself retired from djing, only making beats, post-producing and watching my kids picking up the art.
DjLouSince82 5:06 PM - 18 March, 2010
oh my bad lol i thought you were talking about my old ass hahahaha
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 18 March, 2010
lmfao!!
DjLouSince82 5:08 PM - 18 March, 2010
really dannyD, im 38 still rocking them tables..i dont see myself stoping what i love to do untill well my hands get arthritis or im disabled
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:09 PM - 18 March, 2010
lol i even start controversel when im NOT bein a smart ass and acutually answering a question lol
DjLouSince82 5:09 PM - 18 March, 2010
didnt know you were talking about the kid in the future dj m bezzle..sorry bro
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:09 PM - 18 March, 2010
all good!!!
DjLouSince82 5:11 PM - 18 March, 2010
i agree auto syn will kill the dj
djdannyd 5:14 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
really dannyD, im 38 still rocking them tables..i dont see myself stoping what i love to do untill well my hands get arthritis or im disabled

I was mainly refering to retiring from doing gigs, passing the baton to my kids. I will just do it for the fun (hobby) and not as an supplemental income.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:33 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:

exactly, id love to say for sure ill still be djin club gigs in 10 years but i love it to much to do it in a way i dont like, if its all controlerism and automatic\instant then i dont see the point and im not going to be enjoying myself so ill just rock it in my room
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:33 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
really dannyD, im 38 still rocking them tables

lol in 10 years ill ALMOST be as old as you lol.......also in 10 years i think ill have more posts than sixxx and nik
DJ McKay 6:26 PM - 18 March, 2010
unless i die within the next 10 years yes i will still be DJing.
babooza69 9:32 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
still bitching about not getting gigs and all the kids with their auto-syn serato

lol ditto
djbigboy 9:53 PM - 18 March, 2010
I think I will be retired in 10 years from weekly djing...but I am sure I will pick up some gigs here in there...10 years I will be 50....I think its possible I could be doing high end weddings, but most likely out of the club scene...
Wazo 10:15 PM - 18 March, 2010
10 yrs im 37, so prob not in the clubs at all by then. its for the now the club dj gig is for me. not later

i would like to be producing some beats and let go of mixing. i cant do both right now. its too much work (for me)
DjLouSince82 11:01 PM - 18 March, 2010
im at around your age bigboy..i dont club dj i just do it all for the love of it..at home, family parties or some hired events..i wish i could produce my own stuff but no time..got a family and well you know how that goes..sad to say ive never djd a club in my life..been djing for 25yrs can u imagine but well im to old for that now..got to let that dream go :(.. but the dj inside me will always live on no matter if im still doing it or not. lot of luck to the future up coming djs..i love to teach my nephews and talk to them about my dj skills.
djbigboy 11:05 PM - 18 March, 2010
I think if you have dj'd for longer then 2 years, djing really never dies inside of you...if you quit djing, you wish you never had....
CRB Radio 1:18 AM - 19 March, 2010
I will have a successful radio station of my own that is owned by me and the people it plays for. I want to bring it back to the old days of radio before they started being repetitive and corporate. I want the radio station not only be a radio, but also encourages up and coming dj's as something to look forward to. I also want to remain as an internet station, that dominates FM radio just b/c they make me angry.
djbanno 4:21 AM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
im at around your age bigboy..i dont club dj i just do it all for the love of it..at home, family parties or some hired events..i wish i could produce my own stuff but no time..got a family and well you know how that goes..sad to say ive never djd a club in my life..been djing for 25yrs can u imagine but well im to old for that now..got to let that dream go :(.. but the dj inside me will always live on no matter if im still doing it or not. lot of luck to the future up coming djs..i love to teach my nephews and talk to them about my dj skills.

+1, whatever your situation thers no shame in rocking your bedroom and keeping your love for music and djing alive.
ninos 4:23 AM - 19 March, 2010
in 10 years, im gunna be 24. i hope to be in the club scene by then. :)
DJ Mr. $ 6:09 AM - 19 March, 2010
when i started djin 2 years ago I thought it would be nothing more than a hobby. As I am now in the final stage of my senior year of college I am looking to dj full time for a year untill I eventually go into real estate. I went home for spring break and started cold calling bars in NYC and met with who ever would meet with me. Now I am starting a whole promotions team and hope to run my own nights as DJ and promoter by the fall.

In 10 years from now I'd like to be the next DJ AM but realistally I think I will be working in real estate and spinning one night a weekend. I started DJing because I love the artform and the day i stop loving it will be the day I stop spinning. I dont DJ for the money, I dont DJ to get girls - I DJ for the rush and the love of the artform and the music. When I lose that its time to let a young kid who is like me now take over.
DjSugarDaddy 9:04 AM - 19 March, 2010
i'll be dj'ing in 3d holograms instead of music videos lol
Rsl 9:30 AM - 19 March, 2010
Clearing the dancefloors.
DPR250R 12:11 PM - 19 March, 2010
Retired.
Alixx J 1:51 PM - 19 March, 2010
Resident at Hugh Hefner's gaff
djdannyd 1:53 PM - 19 March, 2010
Hugh Hefner will be 3 feet under in 10 years
DJ McKay 3:21 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
Hugh Hefner will be 3 feet under in 10 years

thats a little close to the top of the ground i think you better dig a little deeper LOL
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 4:04 PM - 19 March, 2010
Hmm...10 years i'll be 40. If I don't miraculously blow up and start DJing all over the country or the world by then i'll probally retire. Maybe just do special events or gigs. In 10 years i'll have 17 and 15 year old boys! So through that whole time focus on my boys and hopefully they can master the art. So I can live my dreams through them! LOL
SK1 4:36 PM - 19 March, 2010
I will still be spinning...

I do mostly mobile now, but maybe by then I'll have done the residency thing. Maybe some production if I have time, but It'll be tough since I'll be getting into my career over the next couple of years. If all goes well I can still spin one night a week, and weekends too.
Audio1 4:40 PM - 19 March, 2010
In 10 years, I'll be 40. I will probably still be DJING but probably retire from the club circuit... Focus more on production, mixing and possibly teaching the art of DJing.

I dont expect myself to be in the club past 40, but ya never know. Depends what the card of life plays me and what I am currently doing and everything Ive done the past 18 years on the decks. I'll probably be teaching my kids how to DJ.
dj Wiseguy 4:50 PM - 19 March, 2010
in ten years i hope to be retired from djing and promoting midget mud wrestling........W.
Wazo 5:05 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
I will still be spinning...

I do mostly mobile now, but maybe by then I'll have done the residency thing. Maybe some production if I have time, but It'll be tough since I'll be getting into my career over the next couple of years. If all goes well I can still spin one night a week, and weekends too.

whats your career?
i am in a similar position with mine and all. itll be hard to balance the DJ and my real paying career. but the career is more important in the long run.
djbigboy 5:07 PM - 19 March, 2010
Wazo - I think the career is more important in the long run as well...but there's no reason why you can't be a weekend Dj hero too....

Audio 1 - surprised to hear you say 40 was the magic number, with so many djs local to you (not naming names) reaching that plateau recently and still doing their thing...
SK1 5:16 PM - 19 March, 2010
@ Wazo... I'll be getting my Bachelor of Architecture next year. I don't know if I'll be an "architect" but definitely in a related field.

@Audio 1... +1 for the 40 year old DJ (Yeah I'm in school... but I'll be 30 in July)

@djbigboy... +1 for the weekend Dj hero (no game)
Wazo 5:17 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
Wazo - I think the career is more important in the long run as well...but there's no reason why you can't be a weekend Dj hero too....

yeah i hear you, i just started a post on this to see other people opinion on playing out. i love to be a weekend DJ hero as well right now. but there are humps in the road along the way. you know...
DJ Greg J 5:36 PM - 19 March, 2010
RED LOBSTER
DJ Greg J 5:36 PM - 19 March, 2010
at the buffet
djbigboy 6:19 PM - 19 March, 2010
Greg J with the random comments - gotta love it -
Audio1 7:22 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
Audio 1 - surprised to hear you say 40 was the magic number, with so many djs local to you (not naming names) reaching that plateau recently and still doing their thing...
Im never going to stop... Im actually getting tired of the clubs right now... but who knows what direction I will go. There are so many avenues besides the clubs... It wont end.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:24 PM - 19 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Im never going to stop... Im actually getting tired of the clubs right now....

let me know when you need a replacment :)
DJJorel 9:41 AM - 20 March, 2010
Retired...and hopefully teaching my future son how to DJ...
Dj_Dropz_ 3:46 PM - 20 March, 2010
Quote:

do you mean mixmeister? that damn program will kill us sooner or later!! all you do is drag n drop tracks it changes tempo, starts the song at the correct bar (8 or 16 bars) mixes and blends (u dont even need a physical mixer) for you all damn night!!
Discobee 6:24 PM - 20 March, 2010
In ten years, I shall post up a mega ad for all my gear on the SSL forum, then have everybody put in their IBTL comments to it. Some mod will surely remove the link, but by then it's too late because all the young cats on the forum would have already PM'd me asking me to buy it. Perhaps I shall post this ad in multiple threads and that way I will get banned. But the end result is, that I would have successfully advertised and sold all the gear on the forum.

Check back in ten years folks.