DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Two Birds with one Stone

AKIEM 8:04 AM - 20 November, 2006
First, its the greatest mixer and all that good stuff, especially because it will improve over time, its sweet.

But I feel there is one major flaw, or two depending how you count. these two problems are not solved:

Problem 1
Post Fader Unmixed Out.
I do know and appreciate that the USB allows for four stereo channels, and this will be achieved in the future.
But it doesn't seem like it will work for analog out, recording on a second computer, or to multitrack like VS1880.

Problem 2
Using the 57 as an SL1.
It has been said that this will come with time as well. And I know there is a work around, but....

Solution
There is one solution for both these problems, two birds with one stone.

Do not sum the FlexFX before the outs.

This way the two separate stereo outputs could be sent to an external effects unit, could be sent to a multitrack recorder, or could be sent to an installed club mixer.

I imagine this would be a vary simple change in the hardware. Take a look at basic signal flow. The separate stereo programs are summed to one stereo before the FlexFX out. i79.photobucket.com

But what if the two programs were not summed to one stereo?
i79.photobucket.com

Two stereo outs and two stereo ins for the FlexFX would be perfect to solve both problems.

If the existing mono ins and outs were changed to stereo ins and outs it would not take up anymore room on the back. And yes people would ether have to use two separate external effects units (I would like to be able to do that anyway) or use Y cables. Unless one single summing switch were added.
i79.photobucket.com
With this configuration "mono" is normal. Switching to "stereo" will allow access to the two programs individually and after the faders.

I was sure that this is the way that the two problems would be solved. I guess not.

Maybe there is something better in store, but I cant imagine a better way of doing it.
Maybe there is a reason I cant see why it wasn't done this way.

I just feel like Ive got a five speed sports car with a four speed shifter on it.
nobspangle 8:38 AM - 23 November, 2006
The second issue is easily solved in the current hardware by creating a mode that allows you to send one input to the flexFX and the other to the master output. You can already acheive the same effect by using the FlexFX or master and the headphones.

The first issue would require a redesign of the hardware, it would also require another D/A converter.
AKIEM 3:47 AM - 26 November, 2006
Quote:
The first issue would require a redesign of the hardware, it would also require another D/A converter.

yes, this is not exactly a feature suggestion, the idea has been around for years. Im just disappointed that this is not the solution employed for both problems.

If there were a second generation 56, or a second generation 57, or a solution for the "58" I would like to see this.

yes, for the 57 it would require another D/A, but for the 56 it would be very, very simple. change the mono jacks to stereo and add a few electronics. Ive been contemplating doing this to my 56 for a long time actually before I purchased. might do it now, just to show its worth.

example: how do I record to a VS1880? how do I record to a ProTools rig?

I hope that I will be able to route my channels out a firewire multi i/o or something.

Quote:
The second issue is easily solved in the current hardware by creating a mode that allows you to send one input to the flexFX and the other to the master output. You can already acheive the same effect by using the FlexFX or master and the headphones.

yes, but this seems very awkward, even when/if this becomes the solution. I mean you got one coming out a 1/4inch and the other coming out the RCA. It will be like a hind sight fix rather than I designed function.

and the headphone solution is good thinking, word, but a little embarrassing to have to do at the club, its not "pro"

I was just sure that the this was going to be the solution, it seems so functional and elegant to me.
maybe next time.

I mean take a look again at the magnificent TTM56SSL operating as the 57 should in the club. www.metalfacerecords.net
nik39 4:42 AM - 26 November, 2006
Quote:
yes, but this seems very awkward, even when/if this becomes the solution. I mean you got one coming out a 1/4inch and the other coming out the RCA.

Why is that? You can have one coming from FlexFX, thats 1/4", and the other one Booth Out, thats 1/4" as well, if I am not totaly drunken ;)

Quote:
and the headphone solution is good thinking, word, but a little embarrassing to have to do at the club, its not "pro"

Agreed. Esp. its should be very simple to implement a mode as suggested by nobspangle.

Quote:
I mean take a look again at the magnificent TTM56SSL operating as the 57 should in the club

You are c-r-a-z-y ... :) in a positive way.
AKIEM 4:57 AM - 26 November, 2006
booth and flexfx? one balanced, the other unbalanced?

crazy in the other way too
nik39 5:01 AM - 26 November, 2006
Quote:
booth and flexfx? one balanced, the other unbalanced?

Well.. they have the same size :-D

No seriously, balanced or not should not make a diff' esp as you will connect to the RCA inputs on the the mixer to which you will connect the TTM57SL.
AKIEM 6:05 AM - 26 November, 2006
true. Im just advocating for a pro solution
nik39 4:13 PM - 26 November, 2006
Point taken.
k-sharp 7:21 PM - 28 November, 2006
it would be kinda confusing but they could make the outs of the flexfx have a toggle to be in's d/a work both ways right? ... but im with you on this... i wish all dj mixers had inserts that doubled as direct outs when you didnt click in the 1/4" trs all the way like large format console mixers... this is one thing i loved about the vestax 37pro... it had two stereo aux outs... (altohugh it had three pots and a matrix of four inputs)... but their effect chain was screwy
k-sharp 7:43 PM - 28 November, 2006
after think about this more and read some of the other threads...

why cant a cheap usb four output sound card be made to work as outputs instead of the mixer... basically just use the mixer as phone preamps... maudio makes one for super cheap right...
AKIEM 2:54 AM - 29 November, 2006
i79.photobucket.com

check, it would be stereo sends, and stereo retuns.

maybe we will be able to send outs throught the second usb and an external d/a. but thats a workaround to me
AKIEM 6:25 PM - 29 January, 2007
how expensive is adding another D/A?
deepdjdanny 11:26 AM - 30 January, 2007
so guys, I own a SL1 & not a 57 & probably wont.
I'll wait for the next '57 type mixer/wSL1 functionality' right?
AKIEM 10:15 PM - 31 March, 2007
just thinking(wishing)
Ben_Binary 1:45 AM - 11 July, 2007
I would love to use my 57SSL with Ableton -
As a complete solution for Beats, Cuts and DJ stough

Lucky i have my echo pcmcia card for hardware routing ableton into it rather than using the ASIO drivers.
AKIEM 5:09 AM - 16 November, 2007
wowzerz
AKIEM 11:27 PM - 19 February, 2010
even with The Bridge solving the first problem (I guess) this would still be a nice solution for the Problem #2, using the mixer as an SL box.