DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ IDOLS!

DJBLISS89 11:32 PM - 10 March, 2010
Who are your idols...list em and talk about em, such as how they influenced you and why they are your idols, I think its an interesting topic so let it begin!
DJBLISS89 11:33 PM - 10 March, 2010
DJ AM
DJ Vice
DJ Splyce

Three of the greatest club DJ's ever in America, they are on another level and I look up to them because of how they made it
DJBLISS89 11:33 PM - 10 March, 2010
RIP DJ AM
ninos 12:33 AM - 11 March, 2010
DAFT PUNK
DJ AM
DJ Z-TRIP
BENNY BENASSI

these four are what got me into DJING. legends.. RIP AM.
Djaward 12:37 AM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ AM
DJ Vice
DJ Splyce

Three of the greatest club DJ's ever in America, they are on another level and I look up to them because of how they made it

I saw splyce and Vice at djcity on Monday Night. It was a great show.
DJ'Que 1:03 AM - 11 March, 2010
my friend father.in 84 use to go down the street to learn to mix.
DJBLISS89 1:39 AM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
DJ AM
DJ Vice
DJ Splyce

I saw splyce and Vice at djcity on Monday Night. It was a great show.

Ya I saw those, they're just on another level its crazy
DJ TOGTFO 2:18 AM - 11 March, 2010
Larry Levan
Jazzy Jeff
Deeznotes
Dazz
El_MaUri 2:40 AM - 11 March, 2010
DJ A-Trak
DJ Craze
DJ Klever
Q-Bert
Mixmaster Mike
Jazzy Jeff
Roc Raida
Babu
Scratch Perverts
DJ AM
... Damn yo, I got too many influences... I could keep going
dj kreate 4:27 AM - 11 March, 2010
bad boy bill, jam master jay, am, qbert,
DJ McKay 4:45 AM - 11 March, 2010
1. Jazzy Jeff
2. Q Bert
3. Kid Capri
4. Scribble
5. AM
djdragon 6:41 AM - 11 March, 2010
I'm not into DJ worship but one DJ I respect is Laurent Garnier.

Any Dj who mixes without headphones, a beer in one hand, a cigarette in the other. And bangs out a mix solid and flawlessly. Is kinda my hero.
gotchuckz 7:29 AM - 11 March, 2010
Vice
Flipside
AM
A-Trak
O.B.1 8:49 AM - 11 March, 2010
Kentaro
DJ-P
Shadow (as a producer too)
D-Styles
dj lad 9:18 AM - 11 March, 2010
DJ P is huuuuuuuuuuuuuugely underrated. Dude basically cashed out and said I'm going to keep playing just vinyl instead of getting serato and touring making the big bucks. He was Z-Trip's partner and was a DMC regional champ. With his talent, he could have been a champion, but instead he's a footnote. Kind of sad, but I respect the road he chose to go down.
MikeNicco 2:18 PM - 11 March, 2010
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T
dj metal 8:42 PM - 11 March, 2010
mat the alien
skratch bastid
kilo cee
vinyl ritchy
DJBIGWIZ 8:44 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Guido Overated At Turntables?

=)
DJBIGWIZ 8:45 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Got On After TV?
DJBIGWIZ 8:45 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Goes Out And Trainwrecks?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:46 PM - 11 March, 2010
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Goes Out And Tries
DJBIGWIZ 8:48 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Goes Out And Tries

hahaha... oh boy, this thread is about to take a left turn
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:49 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Got One At Thriftstore
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:50 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Gives Owner A Tugjob
DJBIGWIZ 8:51 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Gives Owner A Tugjob

hahaha

Generally Overrated And Terrible
Tunecrew 8:56 PM - 11 March, 2010
i don't even know who pauly d is :-{

but for the I:

Fatboy Slim
Mark Farina
Jazzy Jeff
Chinese Laundry
Eclectic Method (for taking it to the next level)
Qbert
DJBIGWIZ 8:57 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Gallant(effort), Otherwise A Tool
DJBIGWIZ 8:58 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

Gallery Of A Tragedy
MikeNicco 9:16 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:

Ooo you don't know?? You better ask somebody!

He like AM, Jeff, & Arak wrapped in one. You'll thank me later ;)

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJBIGWIZ 9:23 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

...wrapped into one what?

=)
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:25 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

...wrapped into one what?

=)

Hes right though, if you take Jeffs hiphop knowledge, A-Traks scratching and AMs death and wrap thm into one body it would be as good as Pauly D
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:29 PM - 11 March, 2010
Damn you know what that last joke made me think of......i bet if AM was around he wouldnt even clown on him, hed just laugh at the jokes say hes a funney dude whos doin his thing and tryin real hard and doing good and go about his busniess

......oh well guess ill never be like AM

Pauly D = GOAT

Gets Ostristized All TImes
Superscurge 9:43 PM - 11 March, 2010
Tiesto is the greatest dj EVAR!!

Lol just kidding.

For me, Hmm..

-2 Many DJ's
-Wolfgang Gartner
-SebastiAn
-Japanese Popstars
-Soulwax (Nite Versions live)
-Crookers
-Pryda.
DJBIGWIZ 9:44 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Damn you know what that last joke made me think of......i bet if AM was around he wouldnt even clown on him, hed just laugh at the jokes say hes a funney dude whos doin his thing and tryin real hard and doing good and go about his busniess

......oh well guess ill never be like AM

Pauly D = GOAT

Gets Ostristized All TImes

hahahaha

True, AM was a real good dude and a great DJ and a REAL DJ.

Pauly D =G.O.A.T.

Genuinely Overshadows AM? Think not.
DJ_Phenom 9:48 PM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ A-Trak
DJ Craze
DJ Klever
Q-Bert
Mixmaster Mike
Jazzy Jeff
Roc Raida
Babu
Scratch Perverts
DJ AM
... Damn yo, I got too many influences... I could keep going

I second these idols for myself as well as being able to go on
DJ_Phenom 9:49 PM - 11 March, 2010
Allies4Life
DJBIGWIZ 9:52 PM - 11 March, 2010
On the REAL...

Too many to name.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:52 PM - 11 March, 2010
My dj idols are any DJ who gets gigs, loves what he does, pushes the craft, and generally keeps a good positive attitude about it......any DJ who has talent but will still conversate with people before and after the show about music and djing and just really enjoy himself....any djs who teach the game and put younger DJs on ....djs who put the overall party above themselves.....any djs that achieve success but still remain humble and work hard to make themselves better..........these are the djs i look up too
baseline 9:52 PM - 11 March, 2010
dBridge
Doc Scott
Mala

As producers and label owners as well.
typerel 10:25 PM - 11 March, 2010
Z-Trip
DJ AM
Diplo
DJ Heather
DJ Sneak
Mark Farina
James Zabiela (not really into that kind of music, but he's fun to watch)
Dj Farhan 10:40 PM - 11 March, 2010
dj kayper
Wazo 11:33 PM - 11 March, 2010
bozo the clown
Tunecrew 12:30 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

thank you very much for spoiling my dinner
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:43 AM - 12 March, 2010
honestly man......... Zach that works here. I got raised in dnb watching him and his 360bpm cru spin all over town.

Other than that, dj Enferno and Mike Relm. Both some next level cats.
DJ CON-STRUC 3:07 AM - 12 March, 2010
DJ SPINBAD!!! the one from queens... I don't care what anyone says.... this dude is the best dj to ever touch a fader. He can rock so many different styles of music and always make it sound clever. I swear he could make a polka mix and the shit would be hot. His scratches are incredible and clean and he always does a shit load of blends.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:24 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Larry Levan
Jazzy Jeff
Deeznotes
Dazz

***AHEM***
Marx&Villain 3:30 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ SPINBAD!!! the one from queens... I don't care what anyone says.... this dude is the best dj to ever touch a fader. He can rock so many different styles of music and always make it sound clever. I swear he could make a polka mix and the shit would be hot. His scratches are incredible and clean and he always does a shit load of blends.

i wouldnt say hes the best dj to touch a fader. He's good, but hes no A-Trak, hes no AM, no jazzy jeff, and is nothing close to any of the great edm dj's. i know kids who can cut better than him. dont get me wrong, hes good but thats an outrageous statement
ninos 3:30 AM - 12 March, 2010
My DJ idol is gunna have to be...

DJ M-BEZZLE.. :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:12 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
i know kids who can cut better than him. dont get me wrong, hes good but thats an outrageous statement

I dunno man, I'm hard pressed to see/hear something like that...

Spinbad is THE TRUTH.

How you gonna be on 2 COMPETING RADIO STATIONS IN THE SAME CITY?
DJBIGWIZ 4:32 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:

DON'T ANSWER HIM.... IT'S A TRAP!!!!
He's just trying to lure you into a big blow out debate!

=)
DJ Mr. $ 5:48 AM - 12 March, 2010
Spinbad is on another level. Doesnt play the celeb game as well as AM but might be better on the tables. I got into DJing after listening to Spinbad on Z-100 in 2005, took me untill 2008 to be able to buy tables and start though.

I learned a ton from watching DJ Flipside's YouTube videos, dude is the best in the midwest

other idols:
Pauly D and the dude that invented autosync.

jk

but seriously:
Jazzy Jeff, DJ AM, DJ Vice, DJ Chachi, DJ Camilo, DJ Qbert, Suss.One. Jam Master Jay, DJ Premier, Grandmaster Flash, other student DJ's at my college
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:40 AM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

DON'T ANSWER HIM.... IT'S A TRAP!!!!
He's just trying to lure you into a big blow out debate!

=)

Man look, I have to keep my skills sharp.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:28 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:

im flattered, and somewat supprised no comments were made afterward lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:29 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

i wouldnt say hes the best dj to touch a fader. He's good, but hes no A-Trak, hes no AM, no jazzy jeff, and is nothing close to any of the great edm dj's. i know kids who can cut better than him. dont get me wrong, hes good but thats an outrageous statement

to be fair all of this is subjective, 2 different people could consider 2 other people the best ever and they can both be right
Wazo 5:05 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

im flattered, and somewat supprised no comments were made afterward lol

i have the t-shirt.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 12 March, 2010
in that case be sure to put the matching hat on your christmas list!
ntmoney 5:45 PM - 12 March, 2010
AM is my favorite of all time but I have others that I look up to.

Richard Vission - always mixes so clean
VICE - the way he came up is inspirational.
STONEROKK - always being different and keeping his sets exciting.
Craze - awesome turntablism. so skilled at what we "try" to do.
A-Trak - For his great performances.
Jazzy Jeff- For stepping up his game and continuing to awe fellow dj's for so long.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:21 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
I dont know many DJs, i just started, but I know rice and sour milk are good.

ya im a big fan of thai food myself
PVK01 6:33 PM - 12 March, 2010
DJ R.A.W. (aka BBoy 3000, 6BLOCC)
Heretic (from the 119 Crew)
Qbert
Mixmaster Mike
DJ Rectangle
DJ Revolution
Bad Boy Bill
Humpty Vission
Mike_P 8:25 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Who are your (dj) idols?

filipinos :p
DJBIGWIZ 8:26 PM - 12 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Who are your (dj) idols?

filipinos :p

hahahaha
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 9:11 PM - 12 March, 2010
DJ Jazzy Jeff.........Record : He's the DJ im The Rapper.....Track: Live At Union Square. I heard Fresh Prince and Jeff goin back and forth and him cuttin up those breaks on those disco songs. Then he busted out the transformer scratch. Man....That who actually made me say, "I want to DJ".

Then as I got into it more I really followed Funk Flex. He used to have a website where he would stream all of his mixes from Hot 97. I can't remember what website that was though. And you know Flex's style where he would go back and forth on the beginning of the song. Great 90's east coast hip hop. I would kill to find those mixes of his.

Also the Beat Junkies inspired me to work on my beat juggling. I remember copin all of their tutorial tape and really following them.

And 10 years later im still inspired by DJ's. Lately the only DJ that inspire me is AM. DJ AM really sparked my creativity. I really only started paying attention to him 4 or 5 years ago after he really blew up. I've always been a strictly hip hop guy, but his creativity to blend all different types of music with hip hop had me thinkin "damn that was actually tight!" So now i've ventured into different genres. Of course his technical skill was crazy. I think one of the biggest things I noticed about him was how much fun he had behind the tables.

He was always interacting with the crowd dancein around and singin along. Which is SUPER important for DJ's to do. I've always been a laid back quiet guy. So i try and make it a point to interact with the crowd more and not be so serious. Damn shame he's past. Sky was the limit for that guy.

But overall I feel i've taken a little piece of every DJ i've followed in the past to make myself better.
enoise 11:12 PM - 12 March, 2010
Mix Master Mike!
DJBLISS89 12:17 AM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:

Alot of ppl talk about DJ Sinbad and say he's ridiculously good, and I believe it, I just wish he spun at LA instead of NY so I can see his skills lol
DJBLISS89 12:18 AM - 13 March, 2010
Look up DJ Splyce too, he's like AM, Vice, and Flipside, he's pretty dope
Cavalry 5:33 AM - 13 March, 2010
Damn... So many, but I'd say:

DJ AM
A-Trak
Jazzy Jeff
Mix Master Mike
Q-Bert
Z-Trip
DJ Flipside

All of them are sooo dope and really have pushed Djing and the culture which is most important to me
cdjpaddy 5:52 AM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
Tiesto is the greatest dj EVAR!!

Lol just kidding.

have to agree on this 1 most over rated/preproduced/overpaid/overcharging/press mill ran/puppet for face less simon cowell like figure to fill his own pockets/not in it for the music. rant over sorry

harry & dominic
tiga
terry blackburn
ferry cornsten
hixxy
force&styles
tom wilson
paul oakenfold
Jordan Laws 7:04 AM - 13 March, 2010
wow this thread goes on for soo long without not even 1 mention of DJ Riz?? CMON SON!!!! I wish people could have seen Riz on Vinyl in the club. ..G.O.A.T.
DJ TOGTFO 10:37 AM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Larry Levan
Jazzy Jeff
Deeznotes
Dazz

Johnny motherzeffin M

***AHEM***
DJDeluchi 1:38 PM - 13 March, 2010
jaguar skills

jazzy jeff

Boom
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:23 PM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Larry Levan
Jazzy Jeff
Deeznotes
Dazz

***AHEM***

Johnny motherzeffin M

I accept your belated nomination....
DJ FATBOX From L.A. 6:37 PM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm not into DJ worship but one DJ I respect is Laurent Garnier.

Any Dj who mixes without headphones, a beer in one hand, a cigarette in the other. And bangs out a mix solid and flawlessly. Is kinda my hero.

damn! now that's what i'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!! that's a real dj with skillz potnuh!
BERTO 5:27 PM - 14 March, 2010
birdy nam nam creating music very creatively
DJBIGWIZ 6:18 PM - 14 March, 2010
Quote:
birdy nam nam creating music very creatively

those guys are amazing
DJ Mr. $ 7:38 PM - 14 March, 2010
if you have a free minute watch DJ Flipsides videos on YouTube. He is probally the #1 top 40 radio DJ right now especially since Spinbad is no longer on Z-100
DJ CON-STRUC 8:33 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I stand by my statement... their might be dudes with more technical cuts then spinbad but spinbad's cuts still sound better (imo). He makes everything sound so fucking dope hip-hop, soul, funk, dancehall, house, R&B, top 40 and even cheesy pop songg from the 80's and 90's. AM was nice... his mashups were tight as hell but his transitions were usually a bit sloppy, but spinbad does mashups as well and his transitons are flawless. Jazzy Jeff is very respected by me but spinbad could blow him outta the water when it comes to turntable skills. I have alot of respect for A-track too, his sets are nasty. I don't think spinbad would win against him in a battle set but as far as a mix.... spinbad wins again.

Now i'm not trying to ride this dudes dick but seriously... when it comes to dj'ing there are very few things that I have not seen or heard him do. And all these things he does well. So if you can show me another dj who can rock so many different genres and mix as clean and scratch as good then I will reconsider my statement.
Marx&Villain 10:20 PM - 15 March, 2010
^^ i disagree. AM, A-Trak, Jazzy Jeff and many other turntablists are better, on their cuts, transitions and musicality. w.e this thread is about who your OWN DJ idols are, no need to argue. You have yours, I have mine.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 15 March, 2010
AMs transitions were kinda sloppy, thats my opinion and yes i know i couldnt do them better
DjLouSince82 10:38 PM - 15 March, 2010
jam master jay
jazzy jeff
premier
richard humpty vission

those are the my top

and of couse ME cutting it up since 1982 baby!
DJ CON-STRUC 10:48 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
^^ i disagree. AM, A-Trak, Jazzy Jeff and many other turntablists are better, on their cuts, transitions and musicality. w.e this thread is about who your OWN DJ idols are, no need to argue. You have yours, I have mine.

Cool... but let me remind you that you started the argument, I just stated who my idol is and why and then you quoted it and disagreed. Then I just defended my statement. So w.e. yourself, spinbad will always be better than your cliché idols. peace!
FunkyRob 10:51 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

www.yorkblog.com

???
DJBIGWIZ 10:54 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
DJ Pauly D = G.O.A.T

www.yorkblog.com

???

LOL
DJBIGWIZ 10:56 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:

AM was a great DJ but he was NO WHERE near the skill level of Spinbad! and honestly and it's not easy to say but neither is Jeff.
FunkyRob 11:05 PM - 15 March, 2010
For me growing up in the bay, it was all about staying up late at night listening to the radio when they would play live mixes from Cameron Paul. Haven't heard from him much lately. He attempted a comeback a few years ago that didn't seem to go anywhere.

From him I learned to keep things flowing and not always sticking to just one genre.

The first dude that ever really impressed me with scratching was seeing DJ Eddie B live. He was the dj for MC ADE out of Florida. He was the first I saw in person, going back and for so quickly on 2 decks. He made me go out the the record store and get 2 copies of Al-Naafiysh by Hashim.

Of course, I have to throw in Jazzy Jeff too.
Marx&Villain 11:10 PM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Cool... but let me remind you that you started the argument, I just stated who my idol is and why and then you quoted it and disagreed. Then I just defended my statement. So w.e. yourself, spinbad will always be better than your cliché idols. peace!

fair enough, I shouldnt have quoted and disagreed. Steve Aoki ftw!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:44 AM - 16 March, 2010
Jazzy Jeff = Innovator, Motivator, Clean Cuts, Excellent Ideas, My Hero, Using Standard Tried and True Techniques from Yesteryear to CRUSH it. Routines are UNIVERSALLY CROWD FRIENDLY, and able to be understood by all.

Spinbad = Surgical Turntable Technician Using Todays Techniques to CRUSH it. Technique is extremely well respected by those who KNOW about Scratch DJ'ing.

DJ AM = A damn good DJ, who respected vinyl and dated Nicole Riche, but was HUMBLE.

SIDEBAR:
If' I'm not mistaken, I think I was the first EVER to mention Spinbad on this board....EVER.
PumpkinHead 5:39 AM - 16 March, 2010
DJ Audio1 :-)
Henry GQ 5:58 AM - 16 March, 2010
i would say getting into djing. there was a guy in toronto canada blowing up the radio(energy 108)... he wasnt a dj, more of a MC.... but had a dj to mix it all up in the background, but played the BEST MUSIC EVER!
probally had one of the best voices ever too, him and alex peace

but his name is Chris Sheppard.... he opened my eyes to house music, techno, euro, all that ish.

and then i would say DJ AM, opened my eyes to a different style of mixing, and to look at it differently. i never thought of Jeff as a great dj, i just thought he was a back up dj for fresh prince, untill i seen some videos and got the chance to see him live. yeah.. then i knew i was totally not giving him props

Bad Boy Bill was another cat that tore my world apart. all the b96 mix masters from chicago. funkmaster flex... back in the day...when i went to see my grandman in brooklyn, i would always listen to the radio, this is even before i was dj... WOW.

thank you..

chris sheppard
bad boy bill
dj am
jazzy jeff
and the dj from the Pleasure Dome(in Niagara falls canada) dont know who he was... but fuckin killed it every time i went!
DJ TOGTFO 6:43 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff = Innovator, Motivator, Clean Cuts, Excellent Ideas, My Hero, Using Standard Tried and True Techniques from Yesteryear to CRUSH it. Routines are UNIVERSALLY CROWD FRIENDLY, and able to be understood by all.

Spinbad = Surgical Turntable Technician Using Todays Techniques to CRUSH it. Technique is extremely well respected by those who KNOW about Scratch DJ'ing.

DJ AM = A damn good DJ, who respected vinyl and dated Nicole Riche, but was HUMBLE.

SIDEBAR:
If' I'm not mistaken, I think I was the first EVER to mention Spinbad on this board....EVER.

Larry Levan + Sylvester- Over and Over > Spinbad + AM + Jazzy Jeff
DJ TOGTFO 6:44 AM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

SIDEBAR:

Larry Levan + Sylvester- Over and Over > Spinbad + AM + Jazzy Jeff

no homo
DJBIGWIZ 6:00 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

SIDEBAR:

LOL.... that was the nerdiest, worst display of trying to give yourself props ever.
hahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:24 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

SIDEBAR:

LOL.... that was the nerdiest, worst display of trying to give yourself props ever.
hahaha

Well, no, let me ENHANCE IT...

It was actually DJ AM replying to ME on THIS BOARD with the following line...

At 6:20 PM 23 December 2006 DJ AM wrote

DJJOHNNYM - Spinbad is one of the ILLEST of ALL time to me. He made what is STiLL the greatest mix CD ever made. If you don't have it you are sleeping. And guess what? Its all 80s (Madonna is on it). Its so smartly done and creative it makes me want to quit and cry. It made my arm hairs stand up and it STILL does AND its MAD OLD. He is also one of the funniest dudes I ever known and does not get the shine he deserves. But WORD UP Johnny M. Spin is the illest! Also do NOT sleep on DJ Eli. EVERYTHING Eli makes is hot, and DJ Craze is still the greatest DJ who ever lived to me. I got to see/meet him the other night here in LA. W O W is all I can say. That dude is not human.

So there it is...

DJ AM HIMSELF givin props to where props are dude!

And here's the link - www.scratchlive.net

Now HOW'S THAT for self BIGGUPS?

If I don't tell y'all....Nobody will...
DJBIGWIZ 8:27 PM - 16 March, 2010
hahahaha
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:29 PM - 16 March, 2010
.....dj am said your NAME....CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:35 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
.....dj am said your NAME....CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH

You ALREADY KNOW....

And it all because I'D NEVER heard of DJ AM before this board, and everyone was making a big deal about him.

So he had a Mix that he did on Power 106 that everybody was raving about, and I finally downloaded it and here is what my response was:

At 4:08 PM 20 December 2006 DJJOHNNYM wrote

Ok, I downloaded that joint, and it is pure fire. Point blank. I'm astounded as to how many different genres he was able to touch upon. Madness. He ran REAL hiphop classics and would flip back and forth between "original hip hop samples" and future songs that used them. Not being funny, but a lot of those transitions I used to do, which TO ME made it hot that I could predict where he was going. I'm mad he used Good Times and didn't cut it up. But he got my official stamp of approval when he used "My Philosophy". He would be the next best DJ in the radio after Spinbad (IN MY PERSONAL OPINION), if he rocked out here in the TriState. Good Shit DJ AM. It was a pleasure.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:36 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
hahahaha

Self promotion never ends!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:42 PM - 16 March, 2010
And after he acknowledged Spinbad was THE TRUTH, I said this -

At 8:03 PM 23 December 2006 DJJOHNNYM wrote

Aitte, now I REALLY FUCKS WIT YOU. I can see where you get some of your influences (via Spinbad), and I too am amazed at that cat's skills and thought processes. He's like the only NEWAGE DJ that consistantly rips it, (IN MY OPINION), and is being brought to the masses of radio. Never heard of DJ Eli...is he West Coast? I'm from the East Coast. Craze is nasty, no doubt, but I kinda lump him in with the rest of the NEW AGE dj's...He's very Drum & Bass oriented, and I'm from the ole' skool and look up to pioneers like Jazz, Cash, and Flash.

But make no mistake until Spinbad arrived here in the Tri-State, my DJ Heart belonged to Cocoa Chanelle.

I'm glad you put some of that REAL HIP HOP into that mix...not too many cats will do that on a radio broadcast.

Keep tearin' it down, and shit, don't let me find a rich chick....It would be ON AND POPPIN'...lmao.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:43 PM - 16 March, 2010
how bout you just link the damn thread and say READ THIS I TALKED TO AM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:44 PM - 16 March, 2010
But this has to be the greatest quote ever by DJ AM -

Bottom line I am a DJ. I said this before and will say it again. I am no "GREAT DJ" I am just a DJ. A REALLY lucky and blessed one at that. I use Serato to the fullest I can. Does that make me a fake DJ? Not to me. I dug for years, I scratched (sounding like shit) till I had calluses on my fingers. I paid my dues and worked HARD for where I am. No page 6 LIE will ever take that away. So keep talkin, keep hatin and I will keep jumping outta bed at 6am to try a mix I just thought of that will hopefully bring joy to a dancefloor and make my friends go "AWWWWWWWWW SHIT!!!!!" That is my job and I love it.

"Starve the ego - Feed the soul" - DJ AM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:44 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
how bout you just link the damn thread and say READ THIS I TALKED TO AM

Look, I'm tryin' to get my PAULY D on....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:45 PM - 16 March, 2010
14 mins left.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:46 PM - 16 March, 2010
i thought it was starve the beagle feed the doverman?
jprime 8:52 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
mat the alien
skratch bastid
kilo cee
vinyl ritchy

Vancity represent. ;)
skinnyguy 8:55 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:
i thought it was starve the beagle feed the doverman?

don't forget to punch the wizard =P
dj metal 9:52 PM - 16 March, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

mat the alien
skratch bastid
kilo cee
vinyl ritchy

Vancity represent. ;)

no arguments there right.
jprime 10:06 PM - 16 March, 2010
none at all, top choices, all of 'em man!
Henry GQ 11:24 PM - 16 March, 2010
here we go.
DJBIGWIZ 5:33 PM - 17 March, 2010
doVerman?
vega 5:42 PM - 17 March, 2010
got a few that most already mentioned.. but has anyone mentioned DJ Excel (skratch makaniks) ??

guy is a legend to me.. and i swear everytime i hear one of his mixes, he plays a bunch of tracks that i've been playing out for a bit, but flips it another way and i gotta go back to the drawing board.. from cuts, to selection, to transitions, to the different styles he blends together.. all out amazing. And dude is mad humble, plus seen a few of his interviews and just the way he talks to people. Great DJ and inspiring role model. Wish much more success to him.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:43 PM - 17 March, 2010
im suprised nooone here has mentioned the homie mike B, i mean you got am like skills and song selection with Pauly Ds hair, you cant beat that package (no misquote)
DJ TOGTFO 10:25 PM - 17 March, 2010
Mike B outta Atlanta?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:48 PM - 17 March, 2010
i invented spinbad. Like 6 years before I invented teh internets.

Bow down.
DJBIGWIZ 11:04 PM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
i invented spinbad. Like 6 years before I invented teh internets.

Bow down.

hahahaha
DJ Stuart (AR) 11:07 PM - 17 March, 2010
J-Roc
DJ AM
Marky
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:51 AM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
Mike B outta Atlanta?

ya
DJBLISS89 8:55 AM - 18 March, 2010
this is probably the most perfect DJ vid I've ever seen, in terms of the aspects of the vid

Watchwww.youtube.com

-DJ Splyce making everyone go nuts
-DJ Spryte in the background goin crazy too
-A hot blonde girl licking the DJ's ear

When I saw this, he instantly became one of my idols ha
skinnyguy 10:20 AM - 18 March, 2010
super greg
Henry GQ 6:26 PM - 18 March, 2010
gotta love it when females are licking ur ear just to be in the spotlight
DJ_Phenom 6:30 PM - 18 March, 2010
Quote:
super greg

THE #1!
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:37 PM - 18 March, 2010
This is a good topic, however, I'm a Real Old School DJ (started in 1983). No disrespect to the above mentioned DJ's....they hold their own No Doubt. So here's my list in order:
The Godfathers of the Hip-Hop Era (Late 70's)
1) Kool Herc... He invented/started scratching & rapping
2) Grandmaster Flash...He invented earpiece that led to the mixer
3) Africa BamBata... He invented "Techno Music" (Planet Rock, etc...)
These guys are the reason I started & became involved in something NEW & FRESSHHHH

One of the Up & Coming Young DJ's of The Hip-Hop Era (1981)
4) The Original DJ SPINBAD (Philly, PA)... He invented the "Transformer Scratch"
He let me know that what WE do is still creative, NEW & FRESSHHHH. Keep Spinnin' Yo......... Nuff Said. Peace.
skinnyguy 8:53 PM - 18 March, 2010
DJ GaFFle 8:37 PM - 29 March, 2010
Quote:
This is a good topic, however, I'm a Real Old School DJ (started in 1983). No disrespect to the above mentioned DJ's....they hold their own No Doubt. So here's my list in order:
The Godfathers of the Hip-Hop Era (Late 70's)
1) Kool Herc... He invented/started scratching & rapping
3) Africa BamBata... He invented "Techno Music" (Planet Rock, etc...)
These guys are the reason I started & became involved in something NEW & FRESSHHHH

One of the Up & Coming Young DJ's of The Hip-Hop Era (1981)
4) The Original DJ SPINBAD (Philly, PA)... He invented the "Transformer Scratch"
He let me know that what WE do is still creative, NEW & FRESSHHHH. Keep Spinnin' Yo......... Nuff Said. Peace.

1) Kool Herc invented scratching AND rapping?
2) Grandmaster Flash patented mixers? He must get huge royalties for that.
3) Africa Bambaata invented Techno? I didn't know this. So his contributions pre-date the Kraftwerk "techno" records he sampled?
4) The Original DJ Spinbad... your first true fact.
"The Original" djGROOVE 5:04 AM - 31 March, 2010
@ DJ Gaffle.......
1) Kool Herc & Grandwizard Theodore (Rappin' & Needle Droppin') were the first to make this a part of the "Party Scene" in NYC. SugarHill stole their raps & hooks and took cred for it on Wax (Early 1980's)..."This is a known fact to TRUE HIP-HOPpers....
2) GMF invented the "EAR PIECE" system for listening to the mix BEFORE bringing it in w/the next record....umm, what is now called "The DJ MIXER"??? There were NO SUCH THING IN THE LATE 1970's/EARLY 1980's...oh yeah, that's WHY HE IS THE 1st SIGNATURE SERIES DJ.....He has assisted RANE w/mixer designs for years....(Ask SERATO/RANE......DAHHHHH??????
3) And since it is obvious you may not of been born in the early 1980's...."SORRY, but Kraftwerk (Numbers,etc...) came after Africa Bambaata & Soul Sonic Force (Planet Rock, etc...), if anything they sampled AB & SSF style [Good job too :>)....]
4) At least you haven't been TOTALLY ASLEEP....... But Much Luv Dude....
sacrilicious 5:18 AM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
The main melody of "Planet Rock" is interpolated from the title track of Kraftwerk's influential album Trans Europe Express, while the drum pattern is based on the song "Numbers" from the Kraftwerk album Computer World, another popular underground club record. The borrowings eventually resulted in an out-of-court settlement between Kraftwerk and Tommy Boy Records head Tom Silverman.
"The Original" djGROOVE 5:23 AM - 31 March, 2010
@ DJ Gaffle & ALL Others......
As stated Africa Bambaata is "Known For Creating THE ELECTRO FUNK SOUND" and as Gaffle stated he did sample Kraftwerk who music w/electronic sources in the mid-70's and they are recognized for starting that interest in music, however, AB is "A DJ" who created the genre......this thread is about "Your DJ Idols...???? I stand corrected for the sample info (Thanx) AND I Stand Firmly w/my 1st statement AB invented Techno.....
"No Disrespect on this jackin the thread.....jus tryin' to keep real...
"The Original" djGROOVE 5:30 AM - 31 March, 2010
Much Luv sacrilicious....and you right to a point. Kraftwerk released Computer World in the early - near mid 80's (Need exact year?), Planet Rock was released in 1982 and the debate was whether AB's Beat Machine Bass line was from the album or his creation. It was later founded that it was his creation w/the beat machine (Beat Box)...thus O-o-C settlement and leading to other court proceedings involving James Brown & ALL HIS Sampled music/lyrics, etc.... The rest is history....
DJBIGWIZ 3:52 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
@ DJ Gaffle.......
1) Kool Herc & Grandwizard Theodore (Rappin' & Needle Droppin') were the first to make this a part of the "Party Scene" in NYC. SugarHill stole their raps & hooks and took cred for it on Wax (Early 1980's)...

I think you mean Grand Master Caz aka Casanova Fly of the Cold Crush Brothers... That's whos rhymes were stole and used by the Sugerhill Gang.

Flash didn't invent the mixer... he was already using a mixer... he created a way to hear And cue the next record so you can say he invented the headphone output on a mixer but really that already existed on bigger mixing consoles... he really didn't INVENT that he just added it to a cheaper mixer that didn't have that feature.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:19 PM - 31 March, 2010
Tunecrew 4:56 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
Flash didn't invent the mixer... he was already using a mixer... he created a way to hear And cue the next record so you can say he invented the headphone output on a mixer but really that already existed on bigger mixing consoles... he really didn't INVENT that he just added it to a cheaper mixer that didn't have that feature.

sorry but the UREI 1620 and Bozak series all had headphone cue and were certainly not invented by Flash at all... even the 'Rosie' had headphone cue (1965!)
"The Original" djGROOVE 10:31 PM - 31 March, 2010
@DJ BIGWIZ & Tunecrew.... All good info and much needed. I think because of the confusion created by DJ GaFFle's "Smart Remarks" earlier in the thread my statement sounds like iIm sayin' GMF "Invented the mixer..." However, if you scroll up I merely said what his contribution was to our craft....He is credited w/inventing the Way to hear between 2 tables (I called it 'Ear Piece'). The studio or Professional mixers didn't have this capability for turntables back then, it was for the Main Mix (as in Live Sound Performance gear still to this day) . Positive & good info tho'.......; @ DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 thanks 4 the link, I gotta chk it out. Much Luv
Tunecrew 10:35 PM - 31 March, 2010
Quote:
He is credited w/inventing the Way to hear between 2 tables (I called it 'Ear Piece'). The studio or Professional mixers didn't have this capability for turntables back then, it was for the Main Mix (as in Live Sound Performance gear still to this day)

um yes they did - studio/live sound mixers have PFL on every channel

dj mixers such as the ones I referred to (which predate Flash), also had this ability, and the earliest dj mixers started in the 1960s
"The Original" djGROOVE 10:49 AM - 1 April, 2010
I don't think PFL was invented yet.....here's why:
Well B4 the 1960's....Special equipment was another notable feature of the "classic" recording studio. The biggest studios were owned and operated by large media companies like RCA, Columbia and EMI, who typically had their own electronics research and development divisions that designed and built custom-made recording equipment and mixing consoles for their studios.

Likewise, the smaller independent studios were often owned by skilled electronics engineers who designed and built their own desks and other equipment. A good example of this is the famous Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles, the site of many famous American pop recordings of the 1960s. Co-owner David S. Gold built the studio's main mixing desk and many additional pieces of equipment and he also designed the studio's unique trapezoidal echo chambers.

During the 1950s and 1960s the sound of pop recordings was further defined by the introduction of proprietary sound processing devices such as equalizers and compressors, which were manufactured by specialist electronics companies. One of the best known of these was the famous Pultec equalizer, which was used by almost all the major commercial studios of the time.

With the introduction of multi-track recording, it became possible to record instruments and singers separately and at different times on different tracks on tape, although it was not until the 1970s that the large recording companies began to adopt this practice widely, and throughout the Sixties many "pop" classics were still recorded live in a single take.

Bozak is often remembered today for his advanced designs of DJ mixers which allowed the development of the concept of disc jockey mixing and 'discotheques'. Beginning with the Bozak CMA-6-1 and CMA-10-1, 6 and 10-input monaural units of the mid 1960s, the peak of development was reached with the stereo Bozak CMA-10-2DL; a unit that was very quickly accepted as the standard of its day. These were very expensive ($1,000.ooUS in 1960's/70's...Due to the "Quality of the Bozak Co.) and built to be used with the specialty speaker systems designed for NYC Disco's. Since mixing consoles were independently designed by the recording studios' engineers who LISTENED through their Studio Monitors for mixdowns/production, so others had to invent their OWN mixing consoles & speaker arrays for LIVE Concert Performances AND learn how not to Blow-Up the Multiple Amps & Speakers...PFL/AFL is a technology that was invented during this process and was not available to the general public as it is today (New Gen)

As of the late 1990's, affordability to the regular Joe became accessible....AND now On a mixer WITH auxiliary send mixes, the send mixes are configured pre-fader (PFL) or post-fader (AFL). If a send mix is configured pre-fader, then changes to the main channel strip fader does not affect the send mix. This is useful for stage monitor mixes where changes in the Front of House channel levels would distract the musicians. If a send mix is configured post-fader, then the level sent to the send mix follows changes to the main channel strip fader.....there's no crossfader
"The Original" djGROOVE 11:36 AM - 1 April, 2010
The mixers you mention had Headphone OUTPUTS which were used to hear your selections by turning the Knob to their respective input channels; In 1967, Francis Grasso was the first DJ to require headphones as part of his setup at a New York City nightclub called Salvation II...... The Cue GMF invented is the ability to listen to the channels either separately or "In The MIX" which led to RANE working with him to produce the 1st DJ Mixer as WE KNOW IT (w/knobs from the Bozak & the channel faders from mixing consoles while turning one sideways = Crossfader), Numark & Gemini made very solid cheaper ones.........

By the way....Bozak didn't cease production of DJ mixers until some years after the death of Rudy Bozak. Buzzy Beck (a former engineer) and Paul Hammarlund carried on the work for a time. Meanwhile the design of the famed CMA series of mixers was cloned by UREI as their model 1620 until they ceased production at which point the mixer was cloned by Rane Corp. as their model 2016a. In 2005, Soundcraft began to offer a UREI-Soundcraft badged 1620LE, with 'LE' standing for 'Limited Edition'.
DJBIGWIZ 2:22 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
The Cue GMF invented is the ability to listen to the channels either separately or "In The MIX" which led to RANE working with him to produce the 1st DJ Mixer as WE KNOW IT

OH NO... DJ Mixers "as we know them" existed WAY before the Empath mixerthat Flash helped design for Rane and that's not what led Rane to work with him.
locked groove 2:22 PM - 1 April, 2010
regardless of what anyone thinks of him now, back in the day Richie Hawtin was my DJ idol. if some caucasian Canadian egghead kid could be a techno superstar, I could definitely make it!

Also Jeff Mills is a big influence. I remember first time I heard the 'Live at the Liquid Room Tokyo' tape... it's ridiculous
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:28 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
The Cue GMF invented is the ability to listen to the channels either separately or "In The MIX" which led to RANE working with him to produce the 1st DJ Mixer as WE KNOW IT

OH NO... DJ Mixers "as we know them" existed WAY before the Empath mixerthat Flash helped design for Rane and that's not what led Rane to work with him.

I was gonna say...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:31 PM - 1 April, 2010
Buuuuuttttt...

Flash DID have a say in this....

brotherreade.net
DJBIGWIZ 3:04 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Buuuuuttttt...

brotherreade.net

hahaha WOW.. you brought back the Flashformer.

That thing listed for $99 and could only hook up 1 turntable and required power.
I saw him use this thing and thought it was whack because it was cheating by not really learning how to transform but though the idea/technology was interesting... so, I started trying to figure out how to make it and wound up making one with my Dad for about $20 that would connect 2 turntables and did not require any power source.
Tunecrew 3:06 PM - 1 April, 2010
1st you don't need to repost everything you find on Wikipedia like you wrote it, that is plagiarism

2nd by the mid-late 60s/early 70s all live boards had PFL - see for example the Soundcraft Series 1 which came out in 1973

3rd you first say Flash invented the "earpiece" (Alexander Graham Bell must be pissed), then you change it and say he invented the cue/pfl channel on "small mixers" but then you say no he actually invented a way to hear the cue "in the mix" (i assume you mean the cue and the programme together) - which is it?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:09 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Buuuuuttttt...

brotherreade.net

hahaha WOW.. you brought back the Flashformer.

That thing listed for $99 and could only hook up 1 turntable and required power.
I saw him use this thing and thought it was whack because it was cheating by not really learning how to transform but though the idea/technology was interesting... so, I started trying to figure out how to make it and wound up making one with my Dad for about $20 that would connect 2 turntables and did not require any power source.

Dude, I was MAD AS HELL when this came out...like WTF? I spent all this time learning how to transform using switches, and getting the timing right, and HERE HE GO....

I was glad when I didn't see anybody using it...
DJBIGWIZ 3:24 PM - 1 April, 2010
hahaha... that thing was such a bad idea.... we only used mine as a gimmic to be funny... we would run realy long cables to it and throw on a test tone over a beat then stand back like 8-10 feet from the mixer and start rhythmically cutting the sound in and out and people would bug out but never realize that it was really stupid becaquse there is no way we could really manipulate the turntable from so far away. hahaha it was funny just to get over on 'em
"The Original" djGROOVE 5:42 PM - 1 April, 2010
It is this one...... 2) Grandmaster Flash...He invented earpiece that led to the mixer
Like I said the 1st time....
Neva' took ant cred for wat was found on Wikipedia, as you can see i don't write like that. But sense you guys don't realize we talkin about the same thing, just thawt you needed the info because of your confo.....
AND "A Big WOWWWW".. you guys were makin' transformers and using switches to transform before it was invented by DJ SPINBAD (Philly, PA)??? He used a crossfader and his DJ Skills....Not gimmicks & Switches. AND obviously IF you refer to the 'Flashformer' (HAHAHAHAHA>>>LOL) as a DJ Mixer As It is Made today....you guys need some help.

AND BY THE WAY THE REAL POINT IS...The guys you talk about as your respected idols come AFTER the guys I'm talkin' about, the pioneers......oh my bad did I mean another mixer??????? Much Luv, Keep On Spinnin'
"The Original" djGROOVE 6:10 PM - 1 April, 2010
Tunecrew Quote......... "Flash didn't invent the mixer... he was already using a mixer... he created a way to hear And cue the next record so you can say he invented the headphone output on a mixer but really that already existed on bigger mixing consoles... he really didn't INVENT that he just added it to a cheaper mixer that didn't have that feature." (WOW..What R U Sayin?????) (Deep)

No disrespect DJ, but isn't that pretty much the same I was tryin to say....just not using YOUR expert words I guess. Again No Disrespect...but IF U RE-read my original post....It neva stated that flash invented the mixer.....His invention, as you confirm w/YOUR expert words, was used on a cheaper mixer....i.e. "The Ones WE Use Today (Their evolution) (Deep)

Thanx for the Flashformer info...... The Ad states that scratch technique "Transformer Scratch" was complicated...... DJ SPINBAD (Philly, PA) invented it & presented it 1st in a Philly DJ Battle; followed by DJ CASH Money who used it 1st in a Organized DJ Battle & DJ JAZZY JEFF who recorded 1st on wax....All Philly DJ's (Deep)

You cats R Amazin'.......... But U Gotta Luv Ya'........ MLKOS
Henry GQ 6:10 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Buuuuuttttt...

brotherreade.net

wow johny... wow. i had one of those
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:11 PM - 1 April, 2010
The Flashformer reference was solely for "Historical" Funny Inventions of DJ'ing....

Nobody referred to it as a mixer.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:17 PM - 1 April, 2010
LMAO @ the Spinbad references 3X's...

Dude, we (or at least I KNOW) about Philly's influence on the DJ scene in the Tri-State area.

I've always said the "Average" Philly DJ would be kickin so called "Champs" in the azz all day.

I grew up in the neighborhood next to DJ Cheese, so you already KNOW what it was like when he and Jeff battled...and what new horizons were discovered.

Damn shame "The Original" Spinbad doesn't get any shine...

And he may have "Invented" the transform, but he damn sure didn't perfect it.

And just to show you I know EXACTLY who you're talking about...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I like him because he has his turntables set up on the RIGHT (but battle style).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

Dude, we (or at least I KNOW) about Philly's influence on the DJ scene in the Tri-State area.

I've always said the "Average" Philly DJ would be kickin so called "Champs" in the azz all day.

I grew up in the neighborhood next to DJ Cheese, so you already KNOW what it was like when he and Jeff battled...and what new horizons were discovered.

I like him because he has his turntables set up on the RIGHT (but battle style).

I like him because he has his turntables set up ON THE LEFT...(but battle style).

Duh...

I USED to DJ with both on the Right..but now both on the LEFT.
DJBIGWIZ 6:19 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
The Flashformer reference was solely for "Historical" Funny Inventions of DJ'ing....

Nobody referred to it as a mixer.

For real...where did you read that... we were all saying it was a whack gimmick used instead of learning skill.... did you NOT read what we said or do you just have poor comprehension skills.
You also said Herc invented scratching... FALSE
Your heros are some of mine as well but you have a lot of things wrong as to who did what... Bam did not create electro. Herc did not invent scratching, Flash did not invent the headphone cueing system on mixers which led to Rane working with him and Sugarhill didn't steal rhymes from Herc... they stole them from GMC... you REALLY need to get your facts straight. It's cool if these cats are your idols but they did not do the things you are saying
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:21 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
you REALLY need to get your facts straight.

You AIN'T talkin' to me right ?

lol.
DJBIGWIZ 6:22 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

+1
DJBIGWIZ 6:22 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
you REALLY need to get your facts straight.

You AIN'T talkin' to me right ?

lol.

hahaha no
DJBIGWIZ 6:24 PM - 1 April, 2010
I was agreeing with you and the rest was to Groove
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:25 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
I was agreeing with you and the rest was to Groove

Oh, aitttee....

I thought I may have to BATTLE you to shut you down...
DJBIGWIZ 6:30 PM - 1 April, 2010
hahaha... you don't want none of this
"The Original" djGROOVE 6:33 PM - 1 April, 2010
For real..... DJBIGWIZ, If u ain't say nuttin U ain't gotta defend nuttin..???

When you talk about Pioneers AND your talkin to informed people....One would think I was talkin about what led to wat we know 2day????????

HERC created/used Beat Juggling..... w/wat is now called "Break Beats" using 2 TTables (Leading to scratching) AND shoutin out rhythmic words (Leading to rap)...All lead ins?????
DJBIGWIZ 6:36 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

When you talk about Pioneers AND your talkin to informed people....One would think I was talkin about what led to wat we know 2day????????

HERC created/used Beat Juggling..... w/wat is now called "Break Beats" using 2 TTables (Leading to scratching) AND shoutin out rhythmic words (Leading to rap)...All lead ins?????

But that is not what you said... you keep on changing your story slightly everytime someone corrects you... and Herc did NOT create beat juggling... that was Steve Dee... just back spinning 2 records is not beat juggling... it's just back spinning.. there is a difference.
Henry GQ 6:37 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

wow i thought i was weird for having turntables on the rigth.. now on the left? WOW!! rthats cool

Watchwww.youtube.com

Henry GQ 6:39 PM - 1 April, 2010
loving the turntables on the left. thats crazy!
"The Original" djGROOVE 6:48 PM - 1 April, 2010
Super Rappin was the 1st recorded Rap & DJ record.....Leading to Sugarhill Gang (who used a lot Cool Herc's "KNOWN" hooks & Shouts as their own.... But a lot of people or nearly Nobody knew this back then...except you NYC cats from the hood & the Origins of our craft...... Lead Ins!!!!!! (??).... Originators...... Pioneers. MLKOS

As far as your youtube post, thats Cool, it shows you can read & internet research (I can too). But before the post U may have heard & knew your Hx, but you wasn't there..... I was right there......., I was right there when Cash & Jazzy did what they did to get Fame & Paid (Old news, Much Luv Now tho)...thats why SPIN don't get the Shine U talkin about, but he performed w/BBD & got his Props. It was perfected when he created it because of what was stolen from him & the Flashformer (LORL) ....All acknowledgments of his Skill
DJBIGWIZ 6:57 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Super Rappin was the 1st recorded Rap & DJ record.....Leading to Sugarhill Gang (who used a lot Cool Herc's "KNOWN" hooks & Shouts as their own.... But a lot of people or nearly Nobody knew this back then...except you NYC cats from the hood & the Origins of our craft...... Lead Ins!!!!!! (??).... Originators...... Pioneers. MLKOS

As far as your youtube post, thats Cool, it shows you can read & internet research (I can too). But before the post U may have heard & knew your Hx, but you wasn't there..... I was right there......., I was right there when Cash & Jazzy did what they did to get Fame & Paid (Old news, Much Luv Now tho)...thats why SPIN don't get the Shine U talkin about, but he performed w/BBD & got his Props. It was perfected when he created it because of what was stolen from him & the Flashformer (LORL) ....All acknowledgments of his Skill

LORL? haha.. ok man... rock on
all yours Johnny
peace
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:58 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

wow i thought i was weird for having turntables on the rigth.. now on the left? WOW!! rthats cool

LMAO @ you showin' up here cuz you live in PHILLY.

Then there's MORE to be expected of you...

WHAT HAPPENED?

lol.
"The Original" djGROOVE 6:58 PM - 1 April, 2010
Im not changin my story & you or nobody else R correctin me???????

As I stated I thought i was talkin to Informed people...historians. In those type of confos, what is real & authentic is not discussed in detail, because We Know Our Craft & It's History...... That would be like every time you ask somebody to pass U a pen, You have to tell them the history of the pencil which led to it......... Jus like these confos we havin now?????

If you know where it comes from...... then you talk in references amongst educated folk...... You don't waste your time tryin to prove how smart you think you are or (Quote) "Correcting ....(LOL)" (End Quote)...... MLKOS
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
hahaha... you don't want none of this

Yeah, you rite...

My reputation is at stake here...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:03 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
It was perfected when he created it because of what was stolen from him

Dude, SPINBAD is Nice, don't get me wrong, and much props to him for "Inventing" it, but he DAMN sure didn't perfect it.

Jeff and Cash are MUCH more Rhythmic with it....

Quote:
all yours Johnny

Aww hell naw....
"The Original" djGROOVE 7:10 PM - 1 April, 2010
Really... I cant' telll, because prior posts I made gave props & respect for new info & point of view, some shared info via post from wikipedia base on comments......then come the JOKES....So Wat Rep U talkin about....Seems like U cats Rep Jokes.....Same Poop Diff Day.....I'll See U in another couple of years....

P.S
LORL= Laughing Out REAL Loud (Origin from LOL, LMAO,etc....) (Deep)
I'm from the East Coast (NYC, Philly, DE, DC, VA, ATL & FLA)

PEACE/MLKOS
DJBIGWIZ 7:14 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Im not changin my story & you or nobody else R correctin me???????

it's>>> "I'm not changing my story & not you or nobody anyone else R is correcting me??????? !!!!!!!!

Quote:
P.S
LORL= Laughing Out REAL Loud

no one says that... that's not a saying.

Quote:
all yours Johnny

Quote:
Aww hell naw....

hahahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:15 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

I'm from the East Coast (NYC, Philly, DE, DC, VA, ATL & FLA)

PEACE/MLKOS

What' about JERZ?

And what does MLKOS mean?
DJBIGWIZ 7:17 PM - 1 April, 2010
MLKOS
My Logic Kills Obvious Sense
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:22 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
MLKOS
My Logic Kills Obvious Sense

see.....

But then I read who posted it...
"The Original" djGROOVE 7:33 PM - 1 April, 2010
See......WHO am I talkin 2..... I neva said it was a saying (Dahhhh).... I said it, DJ's create...Oh my bad I 4get who I'm talkin 2???!!!!!! (Deep)

MLKOS=Much Luv Keep On Spinnin (It's Called RESPECT NO MATTER WHAT....Oh my bad I 4get who I'm talkin 2???!!!!!! (Deep)

Like I said...... U guys R & Got jokes......Oh my bad I 4get who I'm talkin 2???!!!!!! (Deep)
MLKOS
"The Original" djGROOVE 7:39 PM - 1 April, 2010
Neva' hung out much in NJ other than the casinos & the beach tryin to get paid in the summers (LOL)..... No disrepect, JERZ B Reppin' tho'....Nuff Said. MLKOS
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:41 PM - 1 April, 2010
Ok....

Respect.

Nuff Said...

I think...
Tunecrew 7:43 PM - 1 April, 2010
Yo,

ISMTTUWTFTDIS

peace!
DJBIGWIZ 7:43 PM - 1 April, 2010
Special (Deep)

PMDSIEO
DJ GaFFle 8:41 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

But that is not what you said... you keep on changing your story slightly everytime someone corrects you... and Herc did NOT create beat juggling... that was Steve Dee... just back spinning 2 records is not beat juggling... it's just back spinning.. there is a difference.

+1 For some reason, his writing style hurts my brain when reading it.

Quote:
@ DJ Gaffle.......
1) Kool Herc & Grandwizard Theodore (Rappin' & Needle Droppin') were the first to make this a part of the "Party Scene" in NYC. SugarHill stole their raps & hooks and took cred for it on Wax (Early 1980's)..."This is a known fact to TRUE HIP-HOPpers....

There you go "changing your story". You originally said nothing about GW Theodore... you said Kool Herc (2 different individuals). It's pretty well known amongst DJs that GW Theodore invented/started scratching. Didn't Coke La Rock 'rap' for Herc at his 1st and earliest parties? So the art of rapping with the RAP genre would be credited to him, not Herc.

Quote:
2) GMF invented the "EAR PIECE" system for listening to the mix BEFORE bringing it in w/the next record....umm, what is now called "The DJ MIXER"??? There were NO SUCH THING IN THE LATE 1970's/EARLY 1980's...oh yeah, that's WHY HE IS THE 1st SIGNATURE SERIES DJ.....He has assisted RANE w/mixer designs for years....(Ask SERATO/RANE......DAHHHHH??????

I think the other guys shot holes in this hypothesis.

Quote:

3) And since it is obvious you may not of been born in the early 1980's...."SORRY,...

You're right... I was born in the late 60's.

Quote:
... but Kraftwerk (Numbers,etc...) came after Africa Bambaata & Soul Sonic Force (Planet Rock, etc...), if anything they sampled AB & SSF style [Good job too :>)....]

Wrong again:
Planet Rock (1982) uses elements of:
Kraftwerk "Trans Europe Express" - 1977
Kraffwerk "Numbers" - 1981
and a couple of other artists not listed.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia in reference to Planet Rock: "It is credited with re-developing the electro style that was originally pioneered by Kraftwerk and helped pave the way for other genres such as techno, house, and trance."

Your original Africa Bam statement is somewhat valid so I won't split hairs on it.

Quote:

4) At least you haven't been TOTALLY ASLEEP....... But Much Luv Dude....

zzzZZZZ... what did you say?
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:46 PM - 1 April, 2010
@DJBIGWIZ.........YOU SAID

Quote:
At 1:19 PM 1 April 2010
DJBIGWIZ wrote
You also said Herc invented scratching... FALSE**
Your heros are some of mine as well but you have a lot of things wrong as to who did what... Bam did not create electro. Herc did not invent scratching, Flash did not invent the headphone cueing system on mixers which led to Rane working with him and Sugarhill didn't steal rhymes from Herc... they stole them from GMC... you REALLY need to get your facts straight. It's cool if these cats are your idols but they did not do the things you are saying

At 1:36 PM 1 April 2010
DJBIGWIZ wrote
But that is not what you said... you keep on changing your story slightly everytime someone corrects you... and Herc did NOT create beat juggling... that was Steve Dee... (THEN YOU SAY) just back spinning 2 records** is not beat juggling... it's just back spinning.. there is a difference

Last I looked "just back spinning 2 records" is apart of scratching (BUT I DON'T KNOW 4 SURE???)....AND it is apart of the art of Beat Juggling........So then "Scratching" and/or "Beat Juggling" are just fancier words that are used for what HERC did ("just back spinning" 2 records**) after someone else took it to another level......Then Who invented scratching???? ....... Comparison Example below
DJBIGWIZ Theory:
Lets compare our cell phones (made by Motorola) to what Alexander G. Bell invented.... A TELEPHONE (Remember..There is a difference).....Oh yeah, I get it now.....Motorola invented the Telephone.....

Dude YOU R Special (Deep), 'Cuz even in your disputes of HOW I Said It.....YOU Keep sayin' IT because YOU can't overlook it......... IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!! (Oh, does anybody SAY THAT).... My original comments were Short-n-Sweet Bcuz I thought I was rappin w/folk who Know....That was my fault, but IT IS WHAT IT IS.....

MLKOS

Much Respect Back Atcha' DJJOHNNYM

P.S. @ DJBIGWIZ
......in that same year Bambaataa and Soulsonic Force dropped the live band to go high-tech. He borrowed an eerie keyboard hook from German electronic pioneers Kraftwerk and was provided an electronic "beat-box" by producer Arthur Baker and synthesizer player John Robie. That resulted in a pop hit "Planet Rock", which went to gold status and generated an entire school of "electro-boogie" rap and dance music. Bambaataa formed his own label to release the Time Zone Compilation. He created "turntablism" as its own sub-genre and the ratification of "electronica" as an industry-certified trend in the late 1990s. (Wikipedia)
"The Original" djGROOVE 8:53 PM - 1 April, 2010
DJ Gaffle....Wat up. Sorry if my writing style hurts your eyes, head , etc....(LOL) and maybe thats why this is a struggle.....Born in the 60's so am I...so I think I'm just used to talkin to folk who already know..... so this is like if I pass you a pen I ALSO have to keep explaining the origins of the pencil.....maybe its just me.

Oh yeah you right about HERC havin a Rapper, but HE was Known for his rhythmic shouts & chants form from his native land, Jamaica (Do I have to explain the Seletor, Sound Stages in the hoods of NYC in the 60's thing & all....or do we know somethings????)
DJBIGWIZ 8:58 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
He has assisted RANE w/mixer designs for years....(Ask SERATO/RANE......DAHHHHH??????

OMG!!! hahaha TOTALLY WRONG... he has not assisted them for years... he helped with ONE mixer and that one was highly based off of what the TTM mixer from RANE had already brought to the table BEFORE Flash ever did anything with Rane.

DUDE... you have gotten a hold of some very misleading information.
Bam did not invent "Turntablism" that Term was created by DJ Babu of the Beat Junkies AND Beat Juggling IS different than just Mixing and Scratching

You just can't seem to find the truth. (Deep)
peace, Keep doin you mang.
DJ GaFFle 9:03 PM - 1 April, 2010
^^^ LoL ^^^
"The Original" djGROOVE 9:09 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
He has assisted RANE w/mixer designs for years....(Ask SERATO/RANE......DAHHHHH??????

OMG!!! hahaha TOTALLY WRONG... he has not assisted them for years... he helped with ONE mixer and that one was highly based off of what the TTM mixer from RANE had already brought to the table BEFORE Flash ever did anything with Rane. (THIS I CAN PROBABLY ACCEPT - Groove)

DUDE... you have gotten a hold of some very misleading information.
Bam did not invent "Turntablism" (I NEVA SAID THIS....DAHHH, the Wikipedia reference was to the fact that he CREATED ELECTRO.....Please R.E.A.D......THAT STUFF YOU TALKIN I NEVA MENTIONED< IT WAS APART OF THE PARAGRAPH. PLEASE READ YOUR OWN QUOTES (above) & THEN MY REFERENCES......MANG. -Groove) that Term was created by DJ Babu of the Beat Junkies AND Beat Juggling IS different than just Mixing and Scratching

You just can't seem to find the truth. (Deep)
peace, Keep doin you mang.............Bak Atchu....mang
"The Original" djGROOVE 9:10 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
^^^ LoL ^^^

Gaff......this hard for me, No Disrespect.....It is some what fun tho'
DJBIGWIZ 9:14 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:

Bam did not invent "Turntablism" (I NEVA SAID THIS....DAHHH,

REALLY.... because here is YOUR direct quote
Quote:
Bambaataa formed his own label to release the Time Zone Compilation. He created "turntablism" as its own sub-genre...
YOU DID SAY THAT and there is is from your own post

Every thing you say is like this... you post something and then you try to change it and say you never said it but it's all right there.... these posts don't go away... YOU need to read your own quots my dude. It's like you got all the pieces to the puzzle but you put them in the wrong order... good luck with all that.
"The Original" djGROOVE 9:20 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Bam did not invent "Turntablism" (I NEVA SAID THIS....DAHHH,

REALLY.... because here is YOUR direct quote
Quote:
Bambaataa formed his own label to release the Time Zone Compilation. He created "turntablism" as its own sub-genre...
YOU DID SAY THAT and there is is from your own post

Every thing you say is like this... you post something and then you try to change it and say you never said it but it's all right there.... these posts don't go away... YOU need to read your own quots my dude. It's like you got all the pieces to the puzzle but you put them in the wrong order... good luck with all that.

....And If You READ the post ends w/(Wikipedia) < This is called a reference to back up what I said abt AB creating ELECTRO which YOU clearly dispute.......I don't see you quoting the lines B4 this crap abt Turntablism...I didn't say that......... "these posts don't go away... YOU need to read your own quots my dude. It's like you got all the pieces to the puzzle but you put them in the wrong order... good luck with all that." YOU SAID THIS....USE IT, Plz
DJBIGWIZ 9:26 PM - 1 April, 2010
all I can say is WOW (shallow)

I know my facts... I don't need to consult whackapedia for misinformation.. I know my Hip-Hop history. Keep reading about it... I'll keep knowing about it.
Think what you want my dude... it's all good.
One
DJ_Phenom 9:29 PM - 1 April, 2010
Wasn't this a thread about who you respected and were personally inspired by in DJing at one point?
DJ_Phenom 9:29 PM - 1 April, 2010
or was I tracking a different thread?
"The Original" djGROOVE 9:32 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
all I can say is WOW (shallow)

I know my facts... I don't need to consult whackapedia for misinformation.. I know my Hip-Hop history. Keep reading about it... I'll keep knowing about it.
Think what you want my dude... it's all good.
One

whackapedia was 4 U Yo.........Since you say you know, it ain't news. Push the Page-up key AND read Yo....your words, my words, references are all there..... MLKOS.

YOU right Phenom AND My Bad to Errbody for jackin.....Got caught up, that's why I only stop by every couple of years.......... C U N 2...... MLKOS -Groove
"The Original" djGROOVE 10:15 PM - 1 April, 2010
1 of my DJ Idols is GranMaster Flash
More Info 4 Those That Want 2 Know shared Info from the RANE website: www.rane.com

Rane Corporation History & Philosophy

Rane Corporation, founded and incorporated in 1981 in Washington State, is a privately held company. The owners all previously worked together in middle management positions at Phase Linear Corporation, a high-end consumer electronics company.

Rane started out with four products aimed at small bands, designed to make their live performances better. At the forefront was a unique 12-input, 6-output matrix mixer (MM 12) used to create six different monitor mixes for driving stage monitor speakers.

Rane Corporate Milestones

1981: Incorporated in Washington State, USA
1982: 1st Constant-Q EQ & 1st EQ/RTA combo unit - the RE 27
1983: AES paper: 4th-order state-variable Linkwitz-Riley crossovers
1984: 1st Linkwitz-Riley crossovers: AC 22 & AC 23
1986: AES Journal publishes Rane's landmark Constant-Q Graphic EQ paper
1986: 1st Interpolating Constant-Q EQ
1987: Rane's 1st digital audio product: AD 13 Audio Delay
1988: Publish PI 14 Pseudoacoustic Infector data sheet
1989: 1st 8th-order L-R Crossover
1989: 1st MIDI-Programmable EQs
1989: Develop Accelerated-SlopeTM EQ
1990: Patent: Constant-Q Topology
1991: Patent: Accelerated-Slope EQ
1991: 1st THX Home Cinema EQ: THX 44
1993: 1st Dolby Time-LinkTM pro audio delay
1994: Home Cinema Products launched
1995: PAQRAT® Digital Audio Recording System
1995: 1st RW 232 software product: RPE 228 Equalizer
1995: Launch website & Pro Audio Reference
1996: Mojo Series introduced
1997: Rane 1st DSP digital audio product: RPM 26
1997: Rane 1st teleconferencing product: ECS
1998: Patent: teleconferencing product
1998: New standard in DJ performing mixer: TTM 54
1999: Rane 1st Ethernet product: Via 10
2000: Rane 1st CobraNet products: NM 84 & NM 48
2001: Twenty-Year anniversary
2001: First magnetic fader DJ performing mixer: TTM 56
2002: Drag Net 100% drag and drop DSP
2003: DEQ 60 Perfect-Q Graphic Equalizer
2004: Patents: Magnetic Fader and Acoustic Echo Canceller
2004: SeratoTM Scratch Live digital audio computer interface
2005: SeratoTM MP 4 digital audio file mixer
2005: Digital Amplifier: MA 4
2006: Scratch LIVE Mixer: TTM 57SL
2006: Twenty-five Year Anniversary
2006: Patent: Tone Controls
2006: Patent: Perfect-Q Technology
2008: Mongoose Launched
DJBIGWIZ 10:19 PM - 1 April, 2010
Quote:
1 of my DJ Idols is GranMaster Flash
More Info 4 Those That Want 2 Know shared Info from the RANE website: www.rane.com

Rane Corporation History & Philosophy

Rane Corporation, founded and incorporated in 1981 in Washington State, is a privately held company. The owners all previously worked together in middle management positions at Phase Linear Corporation, a high-end consumer electronics company.

Rane started out with four products aimed at small bands, designed to make their live performances better. At the forefront was a unique 12-input, 6-output matrix mixer (MM 12) used to create six different monitor mixes for driving stage monitor speakers.

Rane Corporate Milestones

1981: Incorporated in Washington State, USA
1982: 1st Constant-Q EQ & 1st EQ/RTA combo unit - the RE 27
1983: AES paper: 4th-order state-variable Linkwitz-Riley crossovers
1984: 1st Linkwitz-Riley crossovers: AC 22 & AC 23
1986: AES Journal publishes Rane's landmark Constant-Q Graphic EQ paper
1986: 1st Interpolating Constant-Q EQ
1987: Rane's 1st digital audio product: AD 13 Audio Delay
1988: Publish PI 14 Pseudoacoustic Infector data sheet
1989: 1st 8th-order L-R Crossover
1989: 1st MIDI-Programmable EQs
1989: Develop Accelerated-SlopeTM EQ
1990: Patent: Constant-Q Topology
1991: Patent: Accelerated-Slope EQ
1991: 1st THX Home Cinema EQ: THX 44
1993: 1st Dolby Time-LinkTM pro audio delay
1994: Home Cinema Products launched
1995: PAQRAT® Digital Audio Recording System
1995: 1st RW 232 software product: RPE 228 Equalizer
1995: Launch website & Pro Audio Reference
1996: Mojo Series introduced
1997: Rane 1st DSP digital audio product: RPM 26
1997: Rane 1st teleconferencing product: ECS
1998: Patent: teleconferencing product
1998: New standard in DJ performing mixer: TTM 54
1999: Rane 1st Ethernet product: Via 10
2000: Rane 1st CobraNet products: NM 84 & NM 48
2001: Twenty-Year anniversary
2001: First magnetic fader DJ performing mixer: TTM 56
2002: Drag Net 100% drag and drop DSP
2003: DEQ 60 Perfect-Q Graphic Equalizer
2004: Patents: Magnetic Fader and Acoustic Echo Canceller
2004: SeratoTM Scratch Live digital audio computer interface
2005: SeratoTM MP 4 digital audio file mixer
2005: Digital Amplifier: MA 4
2006: Scratch LIVE Mixer: TTM 57SL
2006: Twenty-five Year Anniversary
2006: Patent: Tone Controls
2006: Patent: Perfect-Q Technology
2008: Mongoose Launched

Just curious... I'm wondering what Flash has to do with any of that?
"The Original" djGROOVE 10:23 PM - 1 April, 2010
GMF helped w/the design of a DJ mixer by RANE.....just sharing knowledge w/ALL of the company, when it was formed, Co. milestones, etc AND has a reflection of GMF contributions to our craft.....
DJBIGWIZ 10:36 PM - 1 April, 2010
I know that but neither he or his mixer were even mentioned there in their milestones.
So that'w why i was asking... nothing you copied from the Rane site had any referance to Flash in any way.
"The Original" djGROOVE 3:19 AM - 2 April, 2010
1 of my DJ Idols is GrandMaster Flash........
Well the benefit of these types of confos are that we ALL can learn when we seek the truth....

GMF did assist in making a New Scatching Unit (could be considered the 1st DJ mixer?),...however, the company was GEMINI & Not RANE (TTM Series were not produced until 1998 as "Top-of-the-Line Products"). GEMINI also started its business selling Audio Tape & later targeting the LIVE Performance venues, they produced affordable good sounding speakers...

Prior Mixers were based on the lines from LIVE Performance Desk models (Knobs & Switches, etc), portable DJ models like today was new ground, GMF was at the forefront
...We ALL can learn something when we open our minds. Info found at
Funding Universe - a site dedicated to Company Histories
www.fundinguniverse.com

RE: Gemini Sound Products Corporation

Extracted from Company Hx
.......Music Stores Take on DJ Equipment in 1980s

Artie and Alan Cabasso joined their father in running Gemini as soon as they graduated from high school. The company made an important connection to the rap scene when it signed GrandMaster Flash to help design a new scratching unit, which proved to be a major success and established Gemini as the premiere provider of DJ equipment. Aside from the growing rap market, the company also benefited from the increasing acceptance of DJs and recorded music as a replacement for live music at a wide range of social events. In fact, music stores in the late 1970s did not sell DJ equipment because they felt it was a threat to their business involving live music. Instead, it was the specialty consumer electronics stores that sold the merchandise. At the start of the 1980s, however, the retailers switched positions: the specialty stores decided they did not want to be associated with the rap customer and the music stores eagerly stepped in to pick up the business they had earlier disdained. At first mere accessories carried by music retailers, DJ equipment soon commanded separate departments. To strengthen its ties to the music store channel, Gemini began in 1984 to participate in the annual tradeshow of the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM).
MLKOS
DJ_Phenom 3:35 AM - 2 April, 2010
I tried to take the backseat on this, but its getting fucking ridiculous...

Right here you use what has to be the "Flashformer" as a some kind of credibility to your constantly evolving argument of what GMF's involvement in the creation of the first DJ mixer was.
Quote:
1 of my DJ Idols is GrandMaster Flash........
Well the benefit of these types of confos are that we ALL can learn when we seek the truth....

GMF did assist in making a New Scatching Unit (could be considered the 1st DJ mixer?),...however, the company was GEMINI & Not RANE (TTM Series were not produced until 1998 as "Top-of-the-Line Products"). GEMINI also started its business selling Audio Tape & later targeting the LIVE Performance venues, they produced affordable good sounding speakers...

But this was only after you already had denounced it as having no relation to mixers whatsoever...
Quote:
Like I said the 1st time....

AND "A Big WOWWWW".. you guys were makin' transformers and using switches to transform before it was invented by DJ SPINBAD (Philly, PA)??? He used a crossfader and his DJ Skills....Not gimmicks & Switches. AND obviously IF you refer to the 'Flashformer' (HAHAHAHAHA>>>LOL) as a DJ Mixer As It is Made today....you guys need some help.

Every time you make a point it is a failure of epic proportions, please just stop posting...
"The Original" djGROOVE 4:38 AM - 2 April, 2010
No disrespect.....
The references are made to contrast what is being put out there as facts about the fact that GMF created the Earpiece that LED to the mixer (WE use today is implied) -MY WORDS....I neva said he created the mixer.......I seem to find the info BUT miss the point, you say..........His contribution is about Origin.....pioneering the craft.......roots. One thing comes from another, etc......that's the point. We wouldn't be talkin to each other if it were not for the ones before us.....there would be No serato....that's the point. I'm just passing you PENCILS & you keep telling me how it has become a PEN

We as people get so caught up in words.....we miss the content......"We concentrate on the finger and miss all that heavenly glory" So you right my point has failed......
Tunecrew 5:16 AM - 2 April, 2010
if I buy an "Earpiece" can i make those dope QBert cuts?

wiki-wiki-wiki
dj vegas 8:47 AM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:
Spinbad is on another level. Doesnt play the celeb game as well as AM but might be better on the tables. I got into DJing after listening to Spinbad on Z-100 in 2005, took me untill 2008 to be able to buy tables and start though.

I learned a ton from watching DJ Flipside's YouTube videos, dude is the best in the midwest

other idols:
Pauly D and the dude that invented autosync.

SPIN BAD

jk

but seriously:
Jazzy Jeff, DJ AM, DJ Vice, DJ Chachi, DJ Camilo, DJ Qbert, Suss.One. Jam Master Jay, DJ Premier, Grandmaster Flash, other student DJ's at my college

SPINBAD WAS ONE OF THE WORST DJS I EVER WASTED MY TIME LISTNING 2 HERE IS THE LINK JUDGE FOR YOUR SELF. AFTER LISTNING YOU WILL NEVER PUT THIS GUY ON A LIST LIKE THIS... www.ustream.tv
dj vegas 8:51 AM - 2 April, 2010
started off great then dodo watch the holllleee thing!
DJ TOGTFO 9:24 AM - 2 April, 2010
damn, still no love for Larry Levan? (no homo). A TRUE DJ pioneer. He controlled what was hot and what was not on way larger scale than most hip hop DJ's. Arguably one of the most influential DJ's ever. I will never be able to cut and juggle like some of the aforementioned DJ's (Spindbad, Jazzy Jeff, etc etc), maybe thats why my DJ idols are more along the lines of Larry Levan, DipLo, Felix the Housecat (90's).... Although Jazzy Jeff is one of my favorites on the hippity hoppity side.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:18 AM - 2 April, 2010
I wasn't really a fan of Larry "MIXING", and it can actually be argued that his "skills" weren't that great "Technically", but he was an absolute MASTER of Atmosphere and sound.

This dude could make a crowd go into a frenzy with nothing but the sounds of running water and wind.....the crowd going nuts.

On top of that, he had the most Monstrous sound system in the world at his fingertips with bass bottoms (Berthas), that created sound that is unmatched even today, except for places like the MInistry of Sound.
Tururu 10:32 AM - 2 April, 2010
DJ AM
A-trak
DJ Enferno
DJ Jazzy Jeff

Got to see DJ Enferno do his Live remix project tonight at houston's red bull thre3style competition. Amazing! Enferno puts in work.
Big Wiz you from houston? I think I saw you on stage at some point.
DJ GaFFle 12:08 PM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:

SPINBAD WAS ONE OF THE WORST DJS I EVER WASTED MY TIME LISTNING 2 HERE IS THE LINK JUDGE FOR YOUR SELF. AFTER LISTNING YOU WILL NEVER PUT THIS GUY ON A LIST LIKE THIS... www.ustream.tv

Wow... he makes dope mixtapes but this performance was kind of... bad! The flow was teRRible! I've never seen/heard him live so my expectations of Spinbad (live) was up there with what I'd expect from a Jazzy Jeff.

I last felt this way when hearing Eric B. & Rakim live back in '87... Rakim sounded nothing like he did on wax.
dj vegas 6:25 PM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Wow... he makes dope mixtapes but this performance was kind of... bad! The flow was teRRible! I've never seen/heard him live so my expectations of Spinbad (live) was up there with what I'd expect from a Jazzy Jeff.

I last felt this way when hearing Eric B. & Rakim live back in '87... Rakim sounded nothing like he did on wax.

dude i know his mixing was that of a 100$ dj verrrry sad and no where near being on this list and they flew him into n.c's largest club. There was no excuse for that mixing!
dj vegas 6:26 PM - 2 April, 2010
and it was less than a month ago not like 3 or 4 years ago!
DJBIGWIZ 6:46 PM - 2 April, 2010
Quote:
DJ AM
A-trak
DJ Enferno
DJ Jazzy Jeff

Got to see DJ Enferno do his Live remix project tonight at houston's red bull thre3style competition. Amazing! Enferno puts in work.
Big Wiz you from houston? I think I saw you on stage at some point.

I'm originally from there and have some Fam and friends out that way so I get out there a lot and yes, I was there chillin' with Enferno that night.
DJ GaFFle 1:52 PM - 5 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dude i know his mixing was that of a 100$ dj verrrry sad and no where near being on this list and they flew him into n.c's largest club. There was no excuse for that mixing!

I don't understand it. Maybe he uses a Ghost-DJ on his mixtapes. I guess having a multi-track/software track editor makes a world of difference with the finished product. Kind of like Autotune for bad singers.

I heard Green Lantern on the radio down here in Atlanta. I think he was in a club or maybe it was a syndicated show. Green Lantern is NICE on the decks and very creative with the mixes.
DJ CON-STRUC 9:12 PM - 5 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand it. Maybe he uses a Ghost-DJ on his mixtapes. I guess having a multi-track/software track editor makes a world of difference with the finished product. Kind of like Autotune for bad singers.

I heard Green Lantern on the radio down here in Atlanta. I think he was in a club or maybe it was a syndicated show. Green Lantern is NICE on the decks and very creative with the mixes.

WOW.... Spinbad is my favorite dj but HOLY FUCK was that bad. I'm not even gonna try to make up an excuse for that horrid set, everything was wack.... sloppy transitions, shitty selection, lazy scratches WTF was he on? maybe he was drunk? idk. The only thing I can say in his defense is that He can (and usually does) do A LOT better. If You have not heard this club mix from Japan yet, check it out www.zshare.net
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:35 PM - 5 April, 2010
Quote:

WOW.... Spinbad is my favorite dj but HOLY FUCK was that bad. I'm not even gonna try to make up an excuse for that horrid set, everything was wack.... sloppy transitions, shitty selection, lazy scratches WTF was he on? maybe he was drunk? idk. The only thing I can say in his defense is that He can (and usually does) do A LOT better. If You have not heard this club mix from Japan yet, check it out www.zshare.net

I ain't even gonna front...

You are 100% correct.
DJ CON-STRUC 8:51 PM - 6 April, 2010
I still can't believe how shitty that set was. All the times i have heard spinbad on the radio and all the mixes i have of his... I never thought I'd see something like that. If anyone reading this has never heard of spinbad before DO NOT judge him by that video.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:04 PM - 6 April, 2010
Quote:
If anyone reading this has never heard of spinbad before DO NOT judge him by that video.

LOL! I want to say that SOOOOO BAD in the Mr. Cee thread, but it will fall on deaf ears...

Hey, that's why it's ALWAYS best to put your best performance forward....

You never know who's looking or judging, or considering you to DJ their next function, or better yet....think of you as their idol.

You never know.
DJ CON-STRUC 9:07 PM - 6 April, 2010
very true
SeriousCyrus 10:38 PM - 6 April, 2010
Solid Steel DJs,,I used to stay up for record their show on KISS (London) till the early hours, I now subscribe to their podcast and download the shows from soundcloud, still the broadest beats and most original mixes on the net (that I know of).
dj vegas 10:44 PM - 6 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
If anyone reading this has never heard of spinbad before DO NOT judge him by that video.

LOL! I want to say that SOOOOO BAD in the Mr. Cee thread, but it will fall on deaf ears...

Hey, that's why it's ALWAYS best to put your best performance forward....

You never know who's looking or judging, or considering you to DJ their next function, or better yet....think of you as their idol.

You never know.

i think there are a lot of so called good djs that slam ish over they need to learn 32's and stick to that. if you just mix clean then there is nothing people can say. It may be boring but you wont look like a total bum. That was a guy that charged an arm and a leg and should not get booked out of state again. There is no reason EVER to sound like that! He needs to go on tosh.0 and do a web redemption!
dj vegas 11:07 PM - 6 April, 2010
yep
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:16 PM - 6 April, 2010
Deez and I were talking about this the other day...

DJ's that have "Made It', but then fall off from either practicing, or putting their best performance forward....

We all know (or should know) Spinbad is one if the ILLEST, and tend to expect a certain level of performance at all times.

Looking at that video (and not trying to make excuses), but it did it seem that it was towards the end of the party..with the lights coming on?

Is it possible that he "Killed It" earlier on?
dj vegas 11:20 PM - 6 April, 2010
dude he was train wreaking song after song cuting out in the middle of the sentence ooovveerr anddd overrrrfor over an hr straight!
dj vegas 11:21 PM - 6 April, 2010
yea he killed it lol watch it again!
dj vegas 11:22 PM - 6 April, 2010
p.s the clubs close at 2 in n.c and the headliner goes on at 12!
dj vegas 11:23 PM - 6 April, 2010
03/19/10 11:25PM <<<<<<<< is the start time not 5 in the morning lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:28 PM - 6 April, 2010
***sigh*** I was tryin...
DJ CON-STRUC 11:46 PM - 6 April, 2010
Good try DJJOHNNYM_vSL3. maybe spinbad himself will see this and give us an explanation. haha