DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

External Hard Drive Suggestions

Dj Confusion 2:49 PM - 28 February, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista
---

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and has been talked about before, I couldn't find anything when searching the forums and posting a new general topic isn't exactly very clear!

Baisically I'm here to ask everyone at Serato and all its users what they would recommend as a 'Safe, Reliable, Fast and Portable' External USB 2.0 Hard Drive.
I been looking around ideally for a 500GB+ External HD but have come across such a massive choose, I would ideally be looking to spend anywhere up to £100.

It just gets annoying having to transfer the tracks I want to play out and also I read on here at one stage that using an external hard drive is actually less CPU heavy on the Serato software if im not mistaken..

'If' this discussion hasn't already been picked up in the past I'm sure many would find this very usefull.

Thanks in advance :)
VJ Justin Allen 4:36 PM - 28 February, 2010
Get the G-Tech 1TB drive...maybe a bit smaller if you are just using audio only.

store.apple.com
bumbo08 12:04 PM - 1 March, 2010
Hey confusion

I swore by external hard drives until recently. I had no end of problems with them.

I'm now using my internal drive and it's running like a dream.

However, if you HAVE to get one, my GTech ran flawless until I had these problems so that would be my suggestion.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:47 PM - 2 March, 2010
moving to dj discussion
5:48 PM, 2 Mar 2010
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:48 PM - 2 March, 2010
I have a 1tb seagate at home. I never use it for gigs but it's one of three backups.
djchriscruz 6:59 PM - 2 March, 2010
I have a 750gb passport. I haven't had any problems with it. It's super portable and only requires 1 cord to hookup. 1 less thing to plug in.
skinnyguy 8:20 PM - 2 March, 2010
western digital is coming out with a 640 gb portable with fw800. yes, it's bus powered.
Dj Confusion 1:56 PM - 3 March, 2010
Hmmmm so far the gtech 500gb seems to be the best choice will stick round for a bit see if there are any other suggestions
Lynn Sound Systems 2:21 PM - 3 March, 2010
I had 2 western digital My book pros go bad on me in less than a year , So dont get them, Been using Seagate Free Agent pro and Maxtor and they work fine ,no problems, I carry both 2 every gig , 1 is an exact copy of the other so I always have backup on site. I never use the internal drive for music storage , I also carry a back up Laptop, so i can easily move my music from 1 computer to the other in the event of a failure. thats just me.
MexiKanMan 5:27 AM - 5 March, 2010
ok, sorry but I didn't want to start a brand new thread and thought my question might go best here?:

I have a MBP and I keep all my music on my internal hard drive. About once a month I pull out my external and make a new folder "Music - March 2010" I then click and drag my music folder into that folder and it takes about two hrs. I then delete the previous months folder because it has the same songs; just not the songs I accumulated over the last month.

Sorry, but I'm getting to the question: Before I made this months new folder, I looked in my "backup" folder (on the external hard drive) and noticed it was huge. Am I doing everything ass-backwards? Does my "backup" folder have all my music in that folder as well? Is there an easier or up-to-date method to accomplish what I do every month?

Las question: in my backup folder, every time it performs a back-up, what does it add to that folder? I noticed the back-ups are listed by date. Thanks to anyone and everyone who can give me some input.
Dj Confusion 1:01 PM - 5 March, 2010
my personal answer to this would be to go out by yourself another internal hardrive and setup a scheduled system backup, or if its a laptop hook your drive up and in system backup settings set the drive letter to that of the externall hard drive then run the backup.

advaantage this way is it all saves to one compressed 'safe' file and it will automatically delete your old backups to save space, i do this every month on my pc. just need an external hard drive now to have as my main music directory :P