Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL Corrupting Mp4 and M4A files - 1.9.1, 1.9.2, 2.0 pb1

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
phatbob 2:37 AM - 19 February, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

Decided to add keycodes to my videos and AAC files, so encoded them all as mp3s and tagged those mp3s.

Then proceeded to import the mp3s into my library and go through manually, copying the keycode from the mp3 version into the comments field of the original AAC/MP4 files.

Once this is done I have rebuilt the overviews of the original files and deleted the mp3 copies from the library.

Have done about 100 files today, and about 40% of those files have then been completely corrupted: Time shows as 00:00:00, and the file is reduced to 4k in size.

I was doing this in 1.9.2 at first, and remembered that there were issues there, so opened 1.9.1, and rebuilt all overviews to ensure that metadata was created for all the recent additions.

Tried the same procedure with different files in that version, and... same problem.

As a last ditch attempt to make this work I tried the same procedure with different files in 2.0 PB1, and (I'm banging my head on the desk by this point)... Same again!

I can upload some files if you like but to be honest I would more easily just refer you back to my similar post in the 1.9.2 beta forum: www.serato.com

The ONLY thing I have done to these files today is change the comments, or add a comment for the first time. They have not been edited or changed in any other way.

TBH I am terrified that this problem seems to now have persisted through 3 different versions, and I'm really hoping it is something I am doing wrong (and therefore easily fixable). I have all these files backed up, so I'm not in dire straits or anything, but I just have no confidence using files other than mp3 in SSL at present, and as a VideoSL user that is worrying.

Any ideas? Please?

2:40 AM, 19 Feb 2010
phatbob attached a file: Shy Fx, T Power & Top Cat - Everyday.m4a
Download· Permalink
phatbob 2:41 AM - 19 February, 2010
The attached file is not lossless, it is (WAS) an aac Plus track bought from the itunes store.
phatbob 2:54 AM - 19 February, 2010
Further info: The AAC files shrink to 4k, the Apple Lossless Files to 20K, and the mp4s are either 4k or the original size. The ones that are the original size are definitely corrupt though, as Quicktime won't read them any more.

I attach the original of that AAC track.
2:58 AM, 19 Feb 2010
phatbob attached a file: Shy Fx, T Power & Top Cat - Everyday.m4a
Download· Permalink
phatbob 3:12 AM - 19 February, 2010
Ok, one further bit of testing before bed. Opened 1.9.2, and re-imported the originals of the corrupt AAC/Lossless files.

Over-wrote the originals in the finder, but didn't delete the tracks from the library.

Analyzed the re-imported tracks, and all seems to be fine with them... And my new comments are still in place.

Thought that might be useful, although obviously corrupting and then replacing all my files doesn't seem like a very efficent workflow for adding comments... ;o)
Serato
Glenn M 11:10 PM - 21 February, 2010
Hi, phatbob. Just to clarify, if I take your attached file and edit the comment field, it becomes corrupt?

We've been working on this corruption issue, so thanks for pointing out that it might not yet be fixed.

Thanks.

[edit]
We're able to reproduce this with your file. Hopefully we can sort this out.
Serato
Glenn M 2:02 AM - 22 February, 2010
phatbob. From what I'm seeing, corruption is not happening on all of those meta data tags. Admittedly I haven't gone though them all, but it seems that only the 'comment' tag is corrupting the file?

Is this what you are seeing?
phatbob 7:34 AM - 22 February, 2010
Hi Glenn
Like others I have experienced issues with tag changes not 'staying' with Mp4 files before, whether that is artist/title/etc, but I'm pretty in my case I've narrowed the corruption issue down to the comment field, as you suggest.
Cheers
ninjagaijin 7:42 AM - 22 February, 2010
I hate m4a/mp4.. won't touch em!!!

wav/flac/mp3 ftw..
dj pesh 12:49 AM - 25 February, 2010
I have had this same problem with my MP4 files by editing the group field from"clean" to "main"

www.serato.com
phatbob 10:55 AM - 26 February, 2010
Just tried to edit the comment on a fresh copy of the file I uploaded, using 2.0 Public Beta 3 (20040), and could not get it to corrupt. I will try more files with that build over the weekend, but fingers crossed... This could be resolved.
Serato
Glenn M 8:16 PM - 28 February, 2010
Quote:
This could be resolved.

Great. I'll call this thread closed (fixed) because I'm pretty sure this particular mp4 issue has been fixed. There are other threads open to address other mp4 edge cases that are causing issues.