DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

M-Audio Torq or SSL? Hmmmmm.....

Prime-X 2:12 PM - 3 November, 2006
I currently own a SSL and it's set up with my DN-S5000 and Tascam X9 and I do love this setup. Now my Technics turntable is getting lonely she's telling me that I don't play with her any more not as much as Denon, so now I'm thinking of getting another digital controller but M-Audio Torq is calling and everyone is been telling I better watch him because his a BIG Bully. Should I go with Torq or SSL? My friend at Guitar Center that it is an awesome unit, it reads iTunes, has more effects, and a built-in sampler. Now I'm thinking how come someone can release a unit like this and have more stuff to it than SSL and can do the exactly as SSL but waaaaaayyyyyyyy more cheaper?
tig ol' bitties 3:08 PM - 3 November, 2006
I think my home setup feels the same way.
but you gotta think tho, youll need another laptop.....
scotty B 4:02 PM - 3 November, 2006
You get what you pay for.....
D-Twizzle 5:07 PM - 3 November, 2006
I have both ssl and torq and they both run great on my dell laptop. I'd say if you got the money, just buy torq. I think you'll be happy with the results.
Prime-X 5:24 PM - 3 November, 2006
I have two laptop but mostly my girlfriend uses it but I still can use it for gigs
Prime-X 5:24 PM - 3 November, 2006
Thanx D-Twizzle
Prime-X 5:35 PM - 3 November, 2006
Is Serato coming out with a new box besides the new mixer. I think they should come out with a new thing because a lot of companies now are trying to be on top of this digital technology. We have SSL, FinalScratch, Numark, Torq, Traktor DJ, and few more. Who is going to be the top dog?! I thought before no one can beat Rane Serato because updates are always being taken care of, the unit was stable, and now a new mixer but now I am not really sure who is really is going to be the top dog.
Prime-X 5:36 PM - 3 November, 2006
Any bad issues with Torq by the way?
djtekno 9:44 PM - 4 November, 2006
Rane Serato Scratch Live will always be on top. Enough said...=]
bush 10:14 PM - 4 November, 2006
I have both, I only got torq a few days ago. I like it, im finding it hard to get used to it after using Serato for so long though.

Theres 2 main things pissing me off about it. You cant use the pitch bend buttons in relative mode. The other thing is you cant jump to the serach bar and back to the file browser using keyboard shortcuts, you have to use the mouse. Ive gotten so used to not using the mouse with Serato that this is pissing me off. Hopefully they will change both of those, if they do I will sell my Serato cos I like everything else about it.
echey 7:38 AM - 5 November, 2006
I agree with you, and also that you must select the sample output in the audio preference.
echey 9:17 AM - 5 November, 2006
I mean when u wanna play a sample.
Prime-X 10:50 AM - 5 November, 2006
djtekno, are you sure about your answer? I got my SSL that first week it came out I loved it and some of my dj friends were saying that analog turntable will always be the shit it is so realiable and it plays right away...no booting up. But now look at them they all got into it, so I am not really sure about your answer, people are already talking about this and a lot of them loved it. Software will always have a few bugs or glitches but that is way there is always update and patches. I am keeping my eyes on this because will see what will happen.
djtekno 4:42 PM - 5 November, 2006
Well, I'm just saying. M-Audio might have gotten a great launch and is great, but SSL will probably have new updates on that way that will rock everybodys socks off! =] I've been checkin' out videos of Torq and all that, it seems like a good software for the price, but Auto-beatmatching and all that? Isn't that the fun part of DJing? =]
Dj Metro 8:28 PM - 5 November, 2006
ssl=industry standard.....a 10 speed bike or a porche can get u where u need to go...but which one would u like to be in when u go out?
theBrooke 9:32 PM - 5 November, 2006
Well I saw Torque yesterday for the first time at Remix Hotel. I was immediately intrigued but thought it was gonna cost a fortune. Got up today and looked it up, only $250?!?!?

Now I've had Serato since 2004, and I would NEVER get rid of it. I know it works, and it works well. But, I have recently been wishing I had an effects processor. I looked at a few hardware solutions and thought what a pain in the ass. Then I was wishing I could use some of the great plugins etc I have but hell another computer? Not right now.

Then yesterday Dj Revolution straight fucked it up with some decks, Torque and a Trigger Finger. Sick does not describe it. For the people bagging on the beatmatching thing. If you use control vinyl there's no way to do that! I agree that you should know how to match a fucking beat if you're gonna call yourself a DJ. But also, we have to embrace new technology. And Torque seems like a quantum leap to me. Use one computer to spin AND process the audio.

My real question is when will this be available in SSL? You know it will be, it's just a matter of time. I don't know how long I can hold out!

Any real experiences (audio quality, feel, etc...) greatly appreciated.

I personally thought it looked awesome, but I could see where some DJs won't like it. SO MUCH going on with the interface. If you aren't going to use the effects and sampler it's definitely overkill.

so uh.... when's the update? May be a good one to announce/hype asap. When people start seeing more of Torque it could spell trouble, and we all know you guys are the best so what's up?
Dj KaGeN 12:02 AM - 6 November, 2006
i have a funny feeling that Rane will never get all the way up on par with the new technology... Not like they ever got anything in the way of effects with any of their mixers (in the past) except for the 57. Rane is has just been the trustworthy company, not glitz and glam.
Julls 12:46 AM - 6 November, 2006
Couldn't have said it better KaGeN!
theBrooke 1:06 AM - 6 November, 2006
Well don't forget Serato is a partner in this, and this would be a software update! I'd pay for it... It could be an "add-on" for those of us who want it.

After thinking about it today, I'm holding off for a minute to see what develops. There is a synth I would rather have right now. But if I see no upgrade down the pike I will be buying Torque.

Serato, Rane... Sam somebody talk to me. Is this in your future? I would rather stay with you guys for sure.
wakka 1:49 AM - 6 November, 2006
Quote:
i have a funny feeling that Rane will never get all the way up on par with the new technology... Not like they ever got anything in the way of effects with any of their mixers (in the past) except for the 57. Rane is has just been the trustworthy company, not glitz and glam.

Then don't upgrade.
birdbrain 2:09 PM - 6 November, 2006
lol at people caring about prefader effects.

also, all these people warning serato they need to step up has got to stop. i'm sure they know the time. these little threats are nothing short of annoying.
Prime-X 3:46 PM - 6 November, 2006
It is annoying but have you seen the sales on M-Audio Torq? Most of them are already sold out, I call Guitar Center in Pasadena, Hollywwod, Woodland Hill, Astro, they are out. The only store that do have one is in Brea with is almost 1hr away from me. This thing is selling like hot pan cake.
theBrooke 7:07 PM - 6 November, 2006
Not trying to be annoying. I honestly didn't read all of the previous posts about it until after I had posted. Not a "regular" on the board... I was when I was making the leap, and I just come back time to time to talk some smack! ;)

Long live Serato!!
birdbrain 9:43 PM - 6 November, 2006
it's not just you by any means. there's been ton of posts with all these people warning serato that they better in clude this or that feature now or their ship'll be sunk. while we all know serato values their customer i doubt if business advice from "random guy on the internet #79478320" really holds any weight. ssl is the industry standard for a reason. i'm sure they have their shit handled.
G-Funk 3:49 PM - 7 November, 2006
well im very happy with serato
i came from final scratch and it was a huge upgrade.
been producing for the past 4 years and to tell you the truth
i would rather see serato stay as simple as possible...
last thing i need is to have some plug in crash during a set
like ableton live has with vst`s in the past...
last thing i need is to look stupid in front of couple hundred people..
grrillatactics 7:53 PM - 7 November, 2006
The TTM57SL alone puts the Rane and Serato team firmly in first place in my mind. Not to say that other companies aren't starting to put attractive packages together, but a consolidation of mixer and SL1 into a single firmware updatable unit with a dedicated, true hands-on control interface that also features the amazing faders of the TTM56 is just a tough package to beat...

But that is simply my opinion.
megatraughn 12:39 AM - 9 November, 2006
Do you think that the ttm57sl will get rid of the dropouts most DJ's are having.
D-Twizzle 5:25 AM - 9 November, 2006
Quote:
Do you think that the ttm57sl will get rid of the dropouts most DJ's are having.

I've had dropouts on my 57, not often, but it has happened.
s42000 4:17 PM - 9 November, 2006
Quote:

What Dropouts ?
grrillatactics 5:26 PM - 9 November, 2006
I have actually never had any dropouts, either on my 57, or before when I used my SL1 on the 909. SSL has simply been amazing for me ever since I picked it up.
megatraughn 12:16 AM - 10 November, 2006
Im talking about the usb dropouts posted every where in this fourm.
megatraughn 12:18 AM - 10 November, 2006
I read that if DJ's use the so called trackpad then they get audio dropouts.
Dj KaGeN 12:29 AM - 10 November, 2006
Oh those DROPOUTS!! lol

Those dropouts are there to stay... They are a FEATURE of the mac trackpad.
hardeehar 12:38 AM - 10 November, 2006
auto beat matching? what the hell.. now any peon can call themselves a dj? even people that suck at matching a beat can use that feature and be dead on? that's retarded
capo di exmixah 12:51 AM - 10 November, 2006
quote :"auto beat matching? what the hell.. now any peon can call themselves a dj? even people that suck at matching a beat can use that feature and be dead on? that's retarded "

That why I hope serato and rane don't add some of these bullshit features that some of these posers are asking for. Please keep ssl simple and as true to the art of djing, as the digital medium can be. Why the fuck should ssl include auto beatmatching... "mix the traditional way u lame asses!!!!"

Why don't yall ask for a feature that sucks your ***ks. That way you won't have to go through the bother of having sex

For heavens sake,don't be crowding this well crafted djing program with wanton and irrelevant crap like auto bpm.
capo di exmixah 12:52 AM - 10 November, 2006
***that should be "auto beatmatching"
hardeehar 12:54 AM - 10 November, 2006
Quote:
quote :"mix the traditional way u lame asses!!!!"

Why don't yall ask for a feature that sucks your ***ks. That way you won't have to go through the bother of having sex

For heavens sake,don't be crowding this well crafted djing program with wanton and irrelevant crap like auto bpm.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
grrillatactics 4:17 PM - 10 November, 2006
Quote:
I read that if DJ's use the so called trackpad then they get audio dropouts.

Again, I have never had any dropouts. Maybe I am just lucky.
;-)
megatraughn 1:19 AM - 11 November, 2006
Yo grillmatactics what is your setup? And do you use all modes in ssl?
megatraughn 1:41 AM - 11 November, 2006
sorry for the misspell
jpmshady 7:17 PM - 11 November, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe torq has color-detailed waveforms and they are a bit harder to read. But that only goes for dj's like me who like to use the waveforms to their advantage.
megatraughn 8:17 PM - 11 November, 2006
and how do you use these waveforms?
Dj Ace 2:24 AM - 12 November, 2006
I have a powerbook 1.67 17 inch with a Gig of RAM and never had any usb dropouts!
megatraughn 12:31 AM - 13 November, 2006
so these guys have bad computers?
MusicMeister 3:46 AM - 13 November, 2006
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe torq has color-detailed waveforms and they are a bit harder to read. But that only goes for dj's like me who like to use the waveforms to their advantage.

Yes the Torq waveforms are a single color. They're pretty easy to read nonetheless. The bass seems to be a larger spike in nearly every case I've seen thus far.

However, I typically limit my use of the wave forms to 'novelty' instead of 'use'. I sometime look at the wave form when cueing up to speed the locating of my 'on the fly' cue point or looking for breaks. The single color waveform works just fine for that...
Julls 3:50 AM - 13 November, 2006
Quote:
I sometime look at the wave form when cueing up to speed the locating of my 'on the fly' cue point or looking for breaks. The single color waveform works just fine for that...

What a crock of shit...'novelty' my ass!!! You always put the wavefroms on full screen!

Just kidding! That shit was funny as hell though when Meister showed it to me!!! ;-)
grrillatactics 2:46 PM - 13 November, 2006
Quote:
Yo grillmatactics what is your setup? And do you use all modes in ssl?

Here are the pictures of my set-up:
www.scratchlive.net
I have switched to a TTM57SL mixer since these pictures were taken. Also, see my profile for a complete list of my gear:
www.scratchlive.net

I used to mostly use ABS mode, with maybe 5% being REL mode, but since getting the 57, I have been 99.99% REL mode (and that .01% being INT mode just setting the right deck to auto and practicing my cutting as it goes through and plays all my instrumentals while I cut away). I use looping and cue points often, and sometimes instant doubles and censor/reverse. So far, no USB drop-outs or problems of any sort.
Tommyillfigure 11:26 PM - 13 November, 2006
@grillatactics:
do you prefer the TTM57SL over the DJM909?
Prime-X 3:51 PM - 14 November, 2006
two different machine....they are both awesome mixer but I would go for TTM57SL.
grrillatactics 6:45 PM - 14 November, 2006
Prime-X is exactly right.

They are different beasts, and both will find a home with different types of DJ's. I think that in the long run, the 57 offers more for me. It has the integrated SSL control surface, and a potentially limitless number of effects, as well as having a universal power supply and legendary Rane quality. It is updatable with firmware updates, and is therefore "future-proof" so to speak.

But for many, the 909 is the better choice. The 909 has the most user-friendly and diverse effects library on the market right now, and has a lovely crossfader (adjustable tension is oh so nice...) and the fader curves are super easy to adjust with the aid of the visual display.

I would say, though, that for me, the 57 is the better choice.
scotty B 7:20 PM - 14 November, 2006
^^^^^ I co-sign about the two. My Choice is the 909. To me the fader on the 909 is crisper. and I love the tension adjustment. EFX are so user friendly.......

57 is dope too, but it is all preference.
Idlemind1999 4:30 PM - 15 November, 2006
Quote:

They were only on the Intel MACBook (pros) G4s and such are cool.. and its the USB thing just use the other USB port and it should be cool.. if BOTH do it.. apple will give u a replacement..
Idlemind1999 4:33 PM - 15 November, 2006
Quote:
^^^^^ I co-sign about the two. My Choice is the 909. To me the fader on the 909 is crisper. and I love the tension adjustment. EFX are so user friendly.......

57 is dope too, but it is all preference.

Jeff is a strict 909 user... we had to rip the house mixer out like 3 hours before he came on..

web.mac.com
deepdjdanny 8:38 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

They were only on the Intel MACBook (pros) G4s and such are cool.. and its the USB thing just use the other USB port and it should be cool.. if BOTH do it.. apple will give u a replacement..

Will apple relly give me a replacement? I think NOT!!
Idlemind1999 9:47 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will apple relly give me a replacement? I think NOT!!

if you have apple care (or are still under warranty Yes they will. If theres a hardware problem that they cannot fix with depot service they simply have to. I have had replacement batteries given to me when mine stopped charging... and about a year back, a client of mine had a new (6months old) iMac start shutting off for no reason and they replaced it as well.

I dont know anyone that has gotten a replacement MacBook or MacBook Pro but the USB/Touchpad dropout thing is confirmed apple thing... so for those that NEED to use SSL and both USB ports are giving dropouts, they must know that your options would eventually point towards switching to another brand.
deepdjdanny 4:58 PM - 24 January, 2007
1.6.3 is only release that hasn't had dropouts for me yet.